Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rarity posted:

Idris Elba was already a pretty major MCU character

the MCU is big enough that i feel like double and triple casting is an inevitablity, much like Law and Order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Waiting for the Sersei vs Minerva fight

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

precision posted:

the MCU is big enough that i feel like double and triple casting is an inevitablity, much like Law and Order
https://www.ranker.com/list/mcu-actors-who-played-multiple-characters/stephanroget

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

precision posted:

What they need to do is cast Ioan Gruffudd and Michael Chiklis in prominent MCU roles.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU4Crduhv68

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It's gonna be Hugh Laurie

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

anything goes its the multiverse!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
That's funny, she knows his brother

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Upsidads posted:

It's gonna be Hugh Laurie

Doom MD coming to Disney+ Fall 2023

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Neo Rasa posted:

Dr. Doom is such an awesome character, you could do an entire Doom movie with him as the main character and not even involved the Fantastic Four and it could still be fuckin' awesome just from all the wild/various depictions of how he runs Latveria.

I'm about to say something very cursed and I'm sorry for it but I think we would absolutely get Disney+ Aaron Sorkin's Days of Doom.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

jisforjosh posted:

Doom MD coming to Disney+ Fall 2023

Updating their Doogie remake to Doomie Howser

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

precision posted:

Oscar Isaac and Josh Brolin

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think maybe cast Travis Fimmel from Vikings for Doom. He’s charismatic too.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Are you suggesting they should cast Neil Patrick Harris as Doctor Doom?

Yes. Do this.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Robot Hobo posted:

Yes. Do this.

i think he would be great. Dr Doom always was just a big old queen

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Robot Hobo posted:

Yes. Do this.

Excited for Dr Doom's Sing-A-Long Blog

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Rarity posted:

Excited for Dr Doom's Sing-A-Long Blog
If it's true to the character, it would just be Doom playing death metal, shredding on a guitar while screaming "RICHAAAAAAARDS!" over and over.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Robot Hobo posted:

If it's true to the character, it would just be Doom playing death metal, shredding on a guitar while screaming "RICHAAAAAAARDS!" over and over.

Nah, just have Will Arnett sing it in exactly the same style as his Lego Batman song, done, let's move to Phase 5.

Speaking of Phase 5, I've seen a couple of speculations that Hercules is coming into the MCU with Zeus appearing in Love & Thunder. If true, no matter how well they do it I'll be a little sad because ever since the Pak/van Lente Incredible Hercules series I'll always think of Herc as the goofball and Thor as the mature god who's too old and wise for this poo poo, and Thor's claimed the goofball niche in the MCU. (The battle between the two of them "body-switched" for the fate of Midgard was the height of comedy, especially the precisely-colored "Nurp" SFX.)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I swear if the post-credit scene for Thor is the third 'we cast this great actor but won't use them till next time' psychout in a row I will be so done

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i'm a bit miffed they didn't really do anything with "Thor is a doctor", i guess they were like "whoah whoah whoah we can't have two doctor heroes, that would be implausible"

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Take this poo poo to the comic book movies thread

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Talk about how great sam Raimi is itt

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Who would win Xena vs Ash

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

We have seen this fight happen in ash vs evil dead

It’s Xena

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Admiralty Flag posted:

Nah, just have Will Arnett sing it in exactly the same style as his Lego Batman song, done, let's move to Phase 5.

Speaking of Phase 5, I've seen a couple of speculations that Hercules is coming into the MCU with Zeus appearing in Love & Thunder. If true, no matter how well they do it I'll be a little sad because ever since the Pak/van Lente Incredible Hercules series I'll always think of Herc as the goofball and Thor as the mature god who's too old and wise for this poo poo, and Thor's claimed the goofball niche in the MCU. (The battle between the two of them "body-switched" for the fate of Midgard was the height of comedy, especially the precisely-colored "Nurp" SFX.)

Who plays Zeus in Thor: L&T? I nurture a doomed hope that it's Michael Chiklis because he was just the best, worst Zeus in Ducktales.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Russell Crowe

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I liked this film a lot but one complaint I have is, it's kinda weird Wanda talks about wanting to be with her children *and no one else, nevermind that part*

Was Paul Bettany just too busy or are they trying to do some weirdness

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Maxwell Lord posted:

I liked this film a lot but one complaint I have is, it's kinda weird Wanda talks about wanting to be with her children *and no one else, nevermind that part*

Figure there's a few things going on. First, Vision, or at least a version of him, is alive on the world, so she has at least the hope that he'll come back to himself and come back to her. Second, per the very end of the post-credits scene in the last episode of WandaVision, the Darkhold was using the idea of Wanda's children calling to her for help as its "in" to manipulate her into doing what it wanted her to do and being who it wanted her to be.

The thing to bear in mind about Wanda at the end of WandaVision is that she possessed a huge, ungodly amount of magical power. But she had almost no knowledge of or experience with actual magic. The Darkhold made good quite a bit of that. Along with the usual "blast with sky-beams" Wanda is able to subtle and creative with her magic (getting the one student to run and break the shield, the stuff she did with attacking out of reflections). Of course, it obviously failed to teach her how to recognize and protect against itself.

One thing that sticks with me is Strange saying "I don't care about Westview." And while he's saying that as a kind of reassurance to Wanda that he's not coming to her as part of the "magic police," the fact remains that if he and Wong had cared even a little bit about Westview and just checked up on Wanda right when she headed to her little study cabin, they could have spotted the Darkhold, told her what it was and what it did, and otherwise hooked her up with teachers and books that wouldn't turn her into a superwitch spree killer.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

precision posted:

i'm a bit miffed they didn't really do anything with "Thor is a doctor", i guess they were like "whoah whoah whoah we can't have two doctor heroes, that would be implausible"

The whole Donald Blake thing was discarded in the comics years ago for not adding anything besides a character having a geeky secret identity because it was what superheroes did.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Maxwell Lord posted:

Thinking about it, we saw a version of Vision that feeds Wanda’s guilty madness in What If, so maybe it’s just that Vision being in this movie means that either he wouldn’t let Wanda kill children and stop her himself, or he would be her Champion and absolutely nobody would stand a chance against them.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

It kind of makes sense if she's treating the kids as a re-do of her own childhood. She trapped 838 Wanda's mind under Sokovian rubble, so it's definitely still affecting her. As much as Vision was important to her, he only knew him for a few years, while the "war orphaned twins who were then kidnapped and experimented on" part of her life would have been much more foundational to her development.

It is weird that she wasn't searching for a universe where her brother was also alive, but simplifying the story to just be about the kids helps to streamline the M.O.M. story.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole Donald Blake thing was discarded in the comics years ago for not adding anything besides a character having a geeky secret identity because it was what superheroes did.

I do kinda like the image of a frail, limping man striking his cane and becoming A Literal God, but for the purposes of the movies the streamlining is fine.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
I feel like even if I absolutely loved the rest of this movie, I would have done a 180 when America got the 1000% power spike pep talk and then this scene followed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN2YgZC1kVw

I'm laughing but it's not for the reason I should be laughing during a Marvel movie. I don't know maybe I'm just not enough of a Raimi fan to "get" it. Also the magic note fight was dumb, and I wish I could have just gotten more fighting along the lines of Strange vs Thanos in Infinity War. I feel like that 20 second exchange was better than any of the combat in this one. Most of Wanda's powers were just reduced to shooting red lasers (again).

It's one of those few times where I apparently disagree with most people's take on the movie and I can't wrap my head around it, still.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Dr Strange 2 wasn't as good as infinity war lol of course. It was a mid tier marvel movie. Better than Ironman 3, worse than Gardians of the Galaxy.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Grimdude posted:

I feel like even if I absolutely loved the rest of this movie, I would have done a 180 when America got the 1000% power spike pep talk and then this scene followed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN2YgZC1kVw

I'm laughing but it's not for the reason I should be laughing during a Marvel movie. I don't know maybe I'm just not enough of a Raimi fan to "get" it. Also the magic note fight was dumb, and I wish I could have just gotten more fighting along the lines of Strange vs Thanos in Infinity War. I feel like that 20 second exchange was better than any of the combat in this one. Most of Wanda's powers were just reduced to shooting red lasers (again).

It's one of those few times where I apparently disagree with most people's take on the movie and I can't wrap my head around it, still.

Video's gone but based on context I assume it's a bit where Strange peptalks America and Wanda hands her her rear end anyway. This is a horror movie and Wanda was the monster. You're not going to beat the ghost or vampire or werewolf by shooting it with a bigger regular gun. You're not going to beat the Scarlet Witch by digging deep and "super-dupering" your super powers. It doesn't matter if you're over 9000. She's over 9 million. You're not going to beat her by trying to punch really, really, really hard instead of just really hard.

Wanda is an out-of-context problem that requires an "out-of-context" solution. In this case the solution was letting Wanda see through the fear in her children's eyes exactly how far she'd fallen away from the person she wanted to be. Wanda was a fine antagonist, definitely one of their better villains. I just wish her development had been a little more organic instead of "Blah! I'm crazy evil now!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On the Dr Doom discussion I want to see an adaption of the backstory version where he only has very mild scarring from the cosmic rays, but is so narcissistic that he rushes to forge his steel mask and doesn't let it cool properly so genuinely destroys his face trying to cover it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rutibex posted:

Dr Strange 2 wasn't as good as infinity war lol of course. It was a mid tier marvel movie. Better than Ironman 3, worse than Gardians of the Galaxy.

Lol, these are some busted MCU movie rankings imo.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Iron Man 3 feels impossibly lame & boring to me, it’s an Iron Man movie but it feels like RDJ spends 85% of it in a hoodie & jeans and giving Gwneth Paltrow volcano super powers is a level of stupid that seems unforgivable. Really don’t understand literally any praise that movie gets, I put it just below Ant Man 2 and just above Thor 2 as the worse and most boring Marvel movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s a marvel movie that feels like real movie because the person who made it’s stamp is all over it. It’s also funny as hell and super grounded and half the movie Tony is walking around in jeans and a hoodie and that fuckin kicks rear end.

Iron Man 3 is easily my top 5.

Dr Strange 2
Guardians 2
Guardians 1
Iron man 3
Iron Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Bust Rodd posted:

Iron Man 3 feels impossibly lame & boring to me, it’s an Iron Man movie but it feels like RDJ spends 85% of it in a hoodie & jeans

This is what makes it good imo, after Stark had spent his last two movies relishing himself in the armor. It's also a nicely packaged capstone narrative for Stark's character, which gets immediately forgotten in Age of Ultron, and then is hilariously dumpstered in Endgame when he blows himself up lmao.