Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Wait what's this in reference to?

And why is it that I get all of my news from the Simpsons meme thread nowadays

Some talking head dude did a review of Turning Red and said that dumb poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Excelzior posted:

I still can't believe there are people who think it is literal. What element of Ralph's personality makes you think he would enjoy violent fantasies of conquering?

At the risk of causing another derail: the joke isn't that he dreams he's a viking, it's that he thinks he literally becomes a viking, not realizing it's just a dream.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

At the risk of causing another derail: the joke isn't that he dreams he's a viking, it's that he thinks he literally becomes a viking, not realizing it's just a dream.

that makes even less sense and is (somehow) less funny

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

cheerful and kind-hearted Ralph Wiggum believes he turns into a rampaging bloodthirsty conqueror every time he falls asleep

somehow this prospect excites him

e : im pretty sure the correlating factor is actually "people who have once dreamed of being a viking" vs not

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 23, 2022

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Excelzior posted:

cheerful and kind-hearted Ralph Wiggum believes he turns into a rampaging bloodthirsty conqueror every time he falls asleep

e : im pretty sure the correlating factor is actually "people who have once dreamed of being a viking" vs not

P sure he's a cop in most future episode so it scans.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Excelzior posted:

I still can't believe there are people who think it is literal. What element of Ralph's personality makes you think he would enjoy violent fantasies of conquering?

What element of his personality would lead you to believe he’s capable of speaking metaphorically?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

The Maestro posted:

What element of his personality would lead you to believe he’s capable of speaking metaphorically?

he's fully capable of repeating things he's heard but hasn't understood fully, sometimes misremembering ("supernintendo chalmers")

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Excelzior posted:

he's fully capable of repeating things he's heard but hasn't understood fully, sometimes misremembering ("supernintendo chalmers")

That’s a perfect example of him being not even remotely capable of repeating something he’s heard before.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Come on, guys; we're the only community that came off looking good in that video. Let's not blow it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Since I started that detail last time, let me try to end it:
The line is 100% intended to say that Ralph either dreams of being a Viking or I guess believes he literally transforms into one - these are effectively the same idea with the only difference being one of metaphysical belief.

The writers have confirmed the dream interpretation as being the intention behind the line.

The idea that "that's where I'm a Viking" could mean "I'm good at that" is widespread but tends to inspire strong reactions in those who did not have that interpretation.

There is confusion about that line because it's a very weird thing to say, it's an odd phrasing no matter the meaning. It's also not that funny, which is why I think people search for other meanings.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Excelzior posted:

ralph wiggum believes he has a leprechaun on his shoulder that tells him to commit arson

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
ralph is being completely literal, now that that's solved lets get back to something reasonable. here half some tunes to set the mood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGA4raGnNfY

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Alternatively:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6czYM2oniNw

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

man remember the days before the internet when we had to rely on the media for shitposts

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
fantastic crop today

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Baron von Eevl posted:

Since I started that detail last time, let me try to end it:
The line is 100% intended to say that Ralph either dreams of being a Viking or I guess believes he literally transforms into one - these are effectively the same idea with the only difference being one of metaphysical belief.

The writers have confirmed the dream interpretation as being the intention behind the line.

The idea that "that's where I'm a Viking" could mean "I'm good at that" is widespread but tends to inspire strong reactions in those who did not have that interpretation.

There is confusion about that line because it's a very weird thing to say, it's an odd phrasing no matter the meaning. It's also not that funny, which is why I think people search for other meanings.

If I recall the twitter conversation correctly, one of the writers did think it was the second one. Which I think caused Bill Oakley to react in disgust

E: Sorry, it was David Mirkin and Mike Scully
https://twitter.com/scullymike/status/1341132696869773312

https://twitter.com/DaveMirkin/status/1341171258935930880

christmas boots fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 23, 2022

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Oh boy, getting screenshotted in a Twitter thread featured in a YouTube video! That’s where I’m a viki- :haw:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
who gives a hoot what the writers think

oh boy they accidentally wrote a funny line instead of a random non sequitur

time to post real angry on the internet about it

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Nice touch with the "El Leo"

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Im pretty sure Ralphs viking dream self is less Leif Erickson and more Hagar the horrible.

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.

Excelzior posted:

Do you believe Ralph has a 100% historically accurate idea of what a viking is?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

who gives a hoot what the writers think

oh boy they accidentally wrote a funny line instead of a random non sequitur

time to post real angry on the internet about it

I’m not angry, I just thought the tweets were funny

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Hihohe posted:

Im pretty sure Ralphs viking dream self is less Leif Erickson and more Hagar the horrible.

Ralph is definitely dreaming of being Ivar the Boneless

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Why does that one throwaway line always rile up this thread?

Or is this all performative and I am missing the joke?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Zil posted:

I have no idea but thats kinda funny in itself

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Excelzior posted:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

christmas boots posted:

I’m not angry, I just thought the tweets were funny

Oh, I wasn't referring to you, I was gearing myself up to make some real performatively angry posts on the internet but it doesn't look like the thread's got the steam for a proper internet angry derail.

I guess shitposting is not where I'm a viking. :(

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Zil posted:

It's not just this thread, although we got by far the most positive mention:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99qXaVFZkQE

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Hi Jims, if you are still reading this thread please do a video about ray j memes

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

The line is actually "900 DOLLARS INTO...!?" as he was reading the phone bill categories and got interrupted mid-sentence by the comically large amount. Any who hears "dollarydoos" (not even a real loving word btw) or "dollars in dues" (i don't know where to begin with this one) clearly lack the social skills to interpret even the briefest interruption of a sentence.

Jesus you people are dense.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

christmas boots posted:

If I recall the twitter conversation correctly, one of the writers did think it was the second one. Which I think caused Bill Oakley to react in disgust

E: Sorry, it was David Mirkin and Mike Scully
https://twitter.com/scullymike/status/1341132696869773312

https://twitter.com/DaveMirkin/status/1341171258935930880

:eyepop:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Vikings Seed and Feed

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I am ok with letting this be the definitive answer.

p_e_z_z
Feb 27, 2020

FEMA summer camp posted:

The line is actually "900 DOLLARS INTO...!?" as he was reading the phone bill categories and got interrupted mid-sentence by the comically large amount. Any who hears "dollarydoos" (not even a real loving word btw) or "dollars in dues" (i don't know where to begin with this one) clearly lack the social skills to interpret even the briefest interruption of a sentence.

Jesus you people are dense.

I always thought it was "900 dollars in June" referring to the month when Tobias accepted the call.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I had no idea the Ralph viking argument had such a long and storied history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Like a viking.