Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

this is also happening on May 19

quote:

The Commemoration of Atatürk, Youth and Sports Day[1] (Turkish: Atatürk'ü Anma, Gençlik ve Spor Bayramı), is an annual Turkish national holiday celebrated on May 19 to commemorate Mustafa Kemal's landing at Samsun on May 19, 1919, which is regarded as the beginning of the Turkish War of Independence in the official historiography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/lawrencehurley/status/1527968562224275456

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Atlantic slavery seems to be one of the most evil institutions in history.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ardennes posted:

It doesn’t matter, when the position was held, the dictator could still rule by fiat (theoretically there was veto power by tribunes but rarely used) even if he was suppose to relinquish the position.

not really, the traditional 'dictator' was totally a different than what we currently conceive of the word meaning. The dictator was a limited-term position with limited powers which worked fairly well, then wasn't used for centuries. Far later, Sulla created a new position with totally different powers and limits, and called it 'dictator' to try to connect it to a past precedent. That didn't work out for him, then a little later Julius tried the same thing and got stabbed, and that was the end of calling yourself 'dictator' in Rome.

It'd be like Trump having the cabinet vote him the Chairman of the Continental Congress, and say that because of that vote he can now write a new constitution unilaterally.

if you want an intro hist description of the traditional roman dictatorship there's a good acoup blogpost
https://acoup.blog/2022/03/18/collections-the-roman-dictatorship-how-did-it-work-did-it-work/

Morbus
May 18, 2004

lmao

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Tunicate posted:

not really, the traditional 'dictator' was totally a different than what we currently conceive of the word meaning. The dictator was a limited-term position with limited powers which worked fairly well, then wasn't used for centuries. Far later, Sulla created a new position with totally different powers and limits, and called it 'dictator' to try to connect it to a past precedent. That didn't work out for him, then a little later Julius tried the same thing and got stabbed, and that was the end of calling yourself 'dictator' in Rome.

It'd be like Trump having the cabinet vote him the Chairman of the Continental Congress, and say that because of that vote he can now write a new constitution unilaterally.

if you want an intro hist description of the traditional roman dictatorship there's a good acoup blogpost
https://acoup.blog/2022/03/18/collections-the-roman-dictatorship-how-did-it-work-did-it-work/

It only "didn't work out for them" because they were taken out with force by the aristocracy as a form of desperation. Also, the principate made the concept of a dictator obsolete but the name or position didn't matter as much as a centrally force that would then override the senate as they wished.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Ardennes posted:

It only "didn't work out for them" because they were taken out with force by the aristocracy as a form of desperation. Also, the principate made the concept of a dictator obsolete but the name or position didn't matter as much as a centrally force that would then override the senate as they wished.

Sulla wasn't taken out by force by the aristocracy, he died fat and rich on his luxurious estate taken from his enemies.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, that is true about Sulla, but in that case the term of dictator did essential “work out” even if it was different than previous interpretations. If anything I would say the fear about the word comes from Caesar himself who took both it out of bounds and then largely turned it on the Senate, but nevertheless it was still the result of a looser and looser interpretation of Roman laws.

Also, Sulla himself was very much in control even if his overall goal was the restriction of popular movements.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChuckModi1/status/1528818387249516545

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Goodmorning, Stalingrad!
Lots of folks who don’t like you
Had give you up for dead.
But you ain’t dead!
Goodmorning, Stalingrad!
Where I live down in Dixie
Thinkgs is bad —
But they’re not so bad
I still can’t say,
Goodmorning Stalingrad!
And I’m not so dumb
I still don’t know
That as long as your red star
Lights the sky,
We won’t die.

Goodmorning Stalingrad!
You’re half a world away or more
But when your guns roar,
They roar for me —
And for everybody
who want to be free.

Goodmorning Stalingrad!
Some folks try to tell me down this way
That you’re our ally just for today.
That may be so – for those who want it so.
But as for me – you’re my ally
Until we all free.

Goodmorning Stalingrad!
When crooks and klansmen
Lift their heads and things is bad,
I can look way across the sea
And see where simple working folks like me
Lift their heads, too, with gun in hand
To drive the fascists from the land.
You’ve stood between us well,
Stalingrad!
The folks who hate you’d
Done give you up for dead —
They were glad.

But you ain’t dead!

And you won’t be
As long as I am you
And you are me —
For you have allies everywhere,
All over the world, who care.
And they
Are with you more
Than just today.

Listen! I don’t own no radio —
Can’t send no messages through the air.
But I reckon you can hear me,
Anyhow, away off there.
And I know you know
I mean it when I say,
(Maybe in a whisper
To keep the Klan away)
Goodmorning, Stalingrad!
I’m glad
You ain’t dead!

GOODMORNING, STALINGRAD!

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Southpaugh posted:

its a perfectly understandable position imo

You're right, America and China are equally democratic imo. Its just that in China democracy only takes place inside one party. The Communist Party of China. If nothing else the changes of the last 30 years in china tell us that yes the communist party changes its mind about things as emblemised by the left turn things have taken under Xi. Remember folks: Any extent Communist party is better than any stripe of capitalist.

something I’ve been wondering lately, how much say does the average Chinese person have in the workings of the Communist Party?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Demon_Corsair posted:

something I’ve been wondering lately, how much say does the average Chinese person have in the workings of the Communist Party?

there are full local elections using this system with candidate winnowing by representitive committees beforehand

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_approval_voting

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I sill can't find a good book on the warlord era of 1920s china.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm a big WW2 guy and someone recommended me Pacific Crucible: War at Sea in the Pacific 1941-1942. Spoilers: it's a poo poo book and it really focuses on the Japanese being a fundamentally different people, which is a massive red flag. But I've come across an interesting quote

quote:

So great was the blast pressure of the 18.1-inch guns that it was not safe for any man to remain in an unbroken sight line to the muzzles. Crewmen on the Musashi, stationed on the bridge or belowdecks, or crouched behind the turrets on the other side of the ship, were instructed to wear earplugs and find a handhold—even so, the blast caused them to feel as if their “guts had suddenly been thrust upwards into their throats.” Guinea pigs left in cages on deck near the guns were “blown apart” by the shock.

I don't remember the IJN having live guinea pigs on their ships! Does anyone else??

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

MonsieurChoc posted:

It gets a few things wrong but, hey, we all do

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm a big WW2 guy and someone recommended me Pacific Crucible: War at Sea in the Pacific 1941-1942. Spoilers: it's a poo poo book and it really focuses on the Japanese being a fundamentally different people, which is a massive red flag. But I've come across an interesting quote

I don't remember the IJN having live guinea pigs on their ships! Does anyone else??

They were on the deck because they were holding public trials for the Musashi. On the Japanese wikipedia article for Yamato-class battleships they mention the blastwaves generated by the guns and the whole guinea pig situation:

quote:

In fact, during the public trials of the Musashi, when several cages containing guinea pigs were arranged on deck and the main guns were fired, more than half of the cages were blown away without a trace by the blast, and the guinea pigs in the remaining cages were so deformed from the blast pressure that almost none of them survived. Therefore, when the main guns were to fire, the exposed personnel on deck (mainly those manning the additional machine guns and anti-aircraft guns) were warned to evacuate by a buzzer operated from the main gun firing command post. However, the watchstanders at the air defense command post at the top of the bridge were not evacuated. Sakonjou Naotoshi (naval captain and navigator), who was present at Musashi's firing drill, recalled that he was at the top of the bridge when he experienced the main gun blast and nearly had his hat blown off. A soldier who witnessed the main gun's blastwave during a public trial run said, "All the dogs and monkeys we put in cages died. But they were fine as long as they were on the port deck when the main gun fired to starboard." During the maneuvers at the truck berth, soldiers exposed to the blast first put cotton in their ears, then earplugs on top of that, then covered both ears with a full flying cap, and put on an iron helmet for protection[123].

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

So they had dogs, monkeys, guinea pigs, and no birds? Seems wrong

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Cromwell didn't genocide anyone.

He was a despot but what happened in Ireland was very mild compared to what went on during the 30 years war for example. The Irish Catholics sided with Charles I in the civil wars and fought in both Scotland and England in royalist armies, but losers in civil wars got their lands confiscated and either killed or exiled.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

MonsieurChoc posted:

not a book, but the peoples history of ideas podcast/ is a pretty thorough look at the 1920s from the perspective of the chinese communist party. the guy also does full transcript/bibliography for every episode, so if you're interested in a particular point you could track down the source from there.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Antonymous posted:

it would eliminate a "how this feels to me in the present time and place" as the fundamental basis for understanding the world

I'm cool with eliminating poli sci too.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

redneck nazgul posted:

He was a despot but what happened in Ireland was very mild compared to what went on during the 30 years war for example. The Irish Catholics sided with Charles I in the civil wars and fought in both Scotland and England in royalist armies, but losers in civil wars got their lands confiscated and either killed or exiled.

we just had this discussion in the milhist thread. You are wrong, it was a genocide, it fits the legal definition of genocide.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mycroft Holmes posted:

we just had this discussion in the milhist thread. You are wrong, it was a genocide, it fits the legal definition of genocide.

catpettered again

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

redneck nazgul posted:

drawing up the QCS thread as we speak

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
If Cromwell hadn't botched his succession it would be business as normal but he dropped the ball so now we can call it Genocide.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Can you link? I'd like to read that.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

it was cringe

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Southpaugh posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950461&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=370

British history seems to be taught from the perspective of a first person shooter where the Brits are the hero player character.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Southpaugh posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950461&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=370

starts near the bottom of the page.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stairmaster posted:

it was cringe

eh not as bad as the multiple raenir stupid question derails

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Pryor on Fire posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950461&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=370

British history seems to be taught from the perspective of a first person shooter where the Brits are the hero player character.

Yes it does.

Cheers

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/alexshams_/status/1529175926914789378

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Stairmaster posted:

it was cringe

yes it was

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Dreylad posted:

I'm cool with eliminating poli sci too.
heh

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

"Mild compared to the 30 Years War" is a hell of a low bar

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
did they ever find out what it was that went wrong with Apollo 13? obviously you can't send the NTSB up there to poke around the command module

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

gradenko_2000 posted:

did they ever find out what it was that went wrong with Apollo 13? obviously you can't send the NTSB up there to poke around the command module

quote:

Immediately upon the crew's return, NASA Administrator Paine and Deputy Administrator George Low appointed a review board – chaired by NASA Langley Research Center Director Edgar M. Cortright and including Neil Armstrong and six others[note 5] – to investigate the accident. The board's final report, sent to Paine on June 15,[153] found that the failure began in the service module's number 2 oxygen tank.[154] Damaged Teflon insulation on the wires to the stirring fan inside Oxygen Tank 2 allowed the wires to short circuit and ignite this insulation. The resulting fire increased the pressure inside the tank until the tank dome failed, filling the fuel cell bay (SM Sector 4) with rapidly expanding gaseous oxygen and combustion products. The escaping gas was probably enough by itself to blow out the aluminum exterior panel to Sector 4, but combustion products generated as nearby insulation ignited would have added to the pressure. The panel's departure exposed the sector to space, snuffing out the fire, and it probably hit the nearby high-gain antenna, disrupting communications to Earth for 1.8 seconds.[155] The sectors of the SM were not airtight from each other, and had there been time for the entire SM to become as pressurized as Sector 4, the force on the CM's heat shield would have separated the two modules. The report questioned the use of Teflon and other materials shown to be flammable in supercritical oxygen, such as aluminum, within the tank.[156] The board found no evidence pointing to any other theory of the accident.[157]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_13#Investigation_and_response
https://history.nasa.gov/ap13cortright.pdf

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

gradenko_2000 posted:

they used a damaged O2 tank from apollo 10 for the command module and it over pressurized when swigert activated the fans to stir the tanks

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

And, luckily, that was the only bad thing that teflon ever did!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/pycpim/status/1530371252853932033

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/0rf/status/1531328388195045376