Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Everyone knows that the ultimate protest is to breed an animal such that its coloration is vaguely reminiscent of your flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Platystemon posted:

Everyone knows that the ultimate protest is to breed an animal such that its coloration is vaguely reminiscent of your flag.
:denmark:

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

SlothfulCobra posted:

The modern Russia Federation being a thing already is already an anti-communist vibe, and red on flags has a longer history of being associated with blood than it does with being associated with communism. White on flags has a history of being associated with peace.

Also making that into a Russian protest flag goes very nicely with the Belarusian protest flag.

Ah, the flag of peace and blood

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BonHair posted:

My Russian co-worker told me about the sane part of Russians still wanting to feel proud of their country, but without appearing to support the regime. So they made a new flag for protests, by whiping the blood off the current flag:

Pretty neat I think.

Hmm maybe add a vertical bar left-of-centre?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Hmm maybe add a vertical bar left-of-centre?

Agreed, Russia is rightful Finnish clay.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BonHair posted:

Agreed, Russia is rightful Finnish clay.

First, we'll take their Aunus

e: Oh wow speaking of flags:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/obk/status/505721028384129024

Also the new Russian protest flag is getting use in the field from Russian defectors fighting for Ukraine. That might give it some life as a symbol going forward.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
lmao at seeing them together but the soviet flag and the imperial tricolour being used together isn't shocking it all. The soviet flag has been used as an emblem of russian nationalism with deniability for decades upon decades now. Like to before the USSR fell. It's got nothing to do with communism or monarchism.

Flag(ish) chat: my wife has these tattooed on her ribcage and they are way more badass than a boring ol red flag, no I am not biased:

Also some good rear end tattoo work. USSR and Kazakh SSR emblems.

This on her thigh which is honestly the best emblem of the three.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 10, 2022

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

good rear end tattoo

:hmmyes:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Im getting a Soviet rear end tattoo so when capitalism hosed me in the rear end

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

I'm surprised theres still supporters of the [url='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mladorossi']Union of Mladorossi[/url], an actual soviet-tsarist group from the Russian Revolution / Civil War era. Have a different, a more royalist, insignia though (which makes sense since they were originally anticommunist.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Im getting a Soviet rear end tattoo so when capitalism hosed me in the rear end

Getting hosed in the rear end is good, unlike what capitalism is doing to you. It's a homophobic expression

Also please post the tattoos if she'll let you. They're clearly cool designs, but they're a bit busy for flags.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Communist Zombie posted:

I'm surprised theres still supporters of the [url='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mladorossi']Union of Mladorossi[/url], an actual soviet-tsarist group from the Russian Revolution / Civil War era. Have a different, a more royalist, insignia though (which makes sense since they were originally anticommunist.

You are overthinking it, imo, and the thought process behind the patch didn't go further than "Imperial Russia stronk! Soviet Russia stronk! Make flag of both to show Russia most stronk of all!"

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

https://twitter.com/obk/status/505721028384129024

Also the new Russian protest flag is getting use in the field from Russian defectors fighting for Ukraine. That might give it some life as a symbol going forward.

What does rebels mean here? Where was this photo taken?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

More weird flag stuff.

https://twitter.com/Jack_Mrgln/status/1515787920505987076

See that thing in the background? Sure makes you think Confederate flag. Well, that apparently is a flag that has been adopted by some of the separatists in Donbass as the flag of "Novorossiya" (or "New Russia", a name that Russia had for the area from way back in the day when the Russian Empire first established its dominion over the area).

Coincidence? Maybe. A blue X on white is an old Russian symbol, and a red flag is associated with Russia. Still, I wonder. It's not like they'd be totally unaware of it. I've often been surprised at how much Europeans are acutely aware of American pop culture. It'd be no weirder than just throwing around some weird german neonazi symbol.

https://twitter.com/Jack_Mrgln/status/1515787148510875649

There's a Moscow Times article where they draw the same comparison, although the top of that they lead with a guy who is clearly using the Arkansas flag. Weird.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2014/06/09/ukrainian-rebels-channel-us-confederates-a36318

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SlothfulCobra posted:

More weird flag stuff.

See that thing in the background? Sure makes you think Confederate flag. Well, that apparently is a flag that has been adopted by some of the separatists in Donbass as the flag of "Novorossiya" (or "New Russia", a name that Russia had for the area from way back in the day when the Russian Empire first established its dominion over the area).

Coincidence? Maybe. A blue X on white is an old Russian symbol, and a red flag is associated with Russia. Still, I wonder. It's not like they'd be totally unaware of it. I've often been surprised at how much Europeans are acutely aware of American pop culture. It'd be no weirder than just throwing around some weird german neonazi symbol.

There's a Moscow Times article where they draw the same comparison, although the top of that they lead with a guy who is clearly using the Arkansas flag. Weird.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2014/06/09/ukrainian-rebels-channel-us-confederates-a36318
With the "rebel flag", I think you have to take into account how heavily propagandizing American pop culture was about it and the Civil War. Subcultures like the Swedish Raggare appear to basically have absorbed a fully divorced from context version of the flag, with the flag representing a "Dukes of Hazzard"-style rebellion against the authorities rather than anything to do with real history. (Which is of course not that different from Lost Cause propaganda in general) That is not to say they can't be racist, but it hardly made sense to make that part of your identity in rural Sweden in the 1950's when that subculture started expanding.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Russia has a thriving community of American Civil War reenactors.

Not a joke.

I mean, it is a joke, but I didn’t make it up.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SlothfulCobra posted:

More weird flag stuff.

Consider how popular soviet kitsch is in the US. Everyone vaguely non-right knows the soviet anthem's tune. Half the internet has earnest or "ironic" sickles and hammers plastered over their personas. People bravely post about how leftist they are with comedy gangtags of the dude that genocided my wife's family on in these here forums. Is it really weird that other people do the same with equally-foreign symbols?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Consider how popular soviet kitsch is in the US. Everyone vaguely non-right knows the soviet anthem's tune. Half the internet has earnest or "ironic" sickles and hammers plastered over their personas. People bravely post about how leftist they are with comedy gangtags of the dude that genocided my wife's family on in these here forums. Is it really weird that other people do the same with equally-foreign symbols?
What

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Which bit? You can't possibly be posting on SA in 2022 and not get that loads of americans get hard for the USSR without knowing poo poo about what it actually was besides "red flag = good"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
People in America don't know the tune of the Soviet anthem

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78ljfawOKLc

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

well they should it fuckin slaps

im a bit skeptical of the stars and bars connection given that it is an old Russian naval jack and that while western europe may know american popular culture from the dukes of hazzard era, soviet consumption of american TV was rather limited

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

may I introduce you to everyone I know as a counterpoint.

Sorry we have different life experiences. Lmfaoing forever at my "leftist" friends rocking to the soviet anthem forever tho.

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

well they should it fuckin slaps

They shouldn't, it was commissioned by a man who committed genocide on my wife's "equal soviet republic." It's a poo poo song that represents russian fascism, not communism.

Here's an actual banger anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOKn1uZjHuQ

And if you're wondering about the subtitles: the kazakh language is being transitioned from cyrillic to latin script, completion expected in 2025. Imagine being so poo poo that people deliberately switch alphabets to distance themselves from you. Imagine the amount of disgust kazakh people feel that that would even be an option.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 23, 2022

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

may I introduce you to everyone I know as a counterpoint.

Sorry we have different life experiences. Lmfaoing forever at my "leftist" friends rocking to the soviet anthem forever tho.

They shouldn't, it was commissioned by a man who committed genocide on my wife's "equal soviet republic." It's a poo poo song that represents russian fascism, not communism.

Here's an actual banger anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOKn1uZjHuQ

And if you're wondering about the subtitles: the kazakh language is being transitioned from cyrillic to latin script, completion expected in 2025. Imagine being so poo poo that people deliberately switch alphabets to distance themselves from you. Imagine the amount of disgust kazakh people feel that that would even be an option.

Is the change a popular measure? It must be such a hassle to change alphabets that I have a hard time imagining regular people being onboard, whatever the justification.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Internet shitlords during the Bush admin and extremely online leftists in this decade definitely do.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

When you guys are thinking "Soviet anthem" are you talking about The Internationale?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sympathy for the Soviet Union in America I think is much smaller offline (although even then, more common than I would've expected), but a lot of it seems to be done mainly out of contrarianism towards the idea of "evil America". Not that it makes much of a difference when they go out of their way to shield post-communist Russia for its crimes as well.

I do still have the impression that other countries are a lot more aware of American pop culture than we are of them just from the sheer amount of it I see reflected back. Like here's the Red Army Choir singing an American folk song about debt bondage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI9KBLb_8ro

Count Roland posted:

Is the change a popular measure? It must be such a hassle to change alphabets that I have a hard time imagining regular people being onboard, whatever the justification.

It happens. Mongolia is undergoing its own process to revive its old writing system in the government alongside Cyrillic. Turkey adopted the latin alphabet in the 30s to bring itself closer to Europe. Less dangerous than switching the side of the road people drive on I guess.

Possibly nowadays there's also a fair amount of people who have latin alphabet keyboards already as well from how dominant english programming languages are around the world.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Our Ukrainian/Russian development team switch between Cyrillic and Latin as far as I can tell. I think the leading role of English everywhere makes changing to Latin a bit less extreme than other changes.

The Turkish example did produce a bunch of functionally illiterate adults for a while, because they could only read the Arabic script, which was no longer used.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
One of the popular contrarian things to post on 4chan in the 00s was Soviet anything including the Soviet anthem as a troll. Similar to how Nazi stuff would get posted, but I guess seen as less generally offensive or more directly targeting Americans.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Count Roland posted:

they at least managed to renege on the original laughably bad proposal where Nazarbayev fancied himself a master alphabet designer and decreed that the new alphabet be fully compatible with standard english keyboards. to achieve this, since you can't represent Kazakh with only 26 letters, they just shoved in apostrophes will-nilly rather than using diacritics or digraphs like a sane spelling system

When you guys are thinking "Soviet anthem" are you talking about The Internationale?

that was in use until 1944, after which they wrote a new one with a bunch of lyrics glorifying stalin leading them to victory in WWII. this presented a bit of dilemma a decade later, so there were two decades where it was entirely instrumental before they figured out a revised set of lyrics. Russia has since re-adopted it as the anthem again with yet another new set of lyrics because the Yeltsin-era anthem was trash (and because Putin wanted to invoke Soviet nostalgia)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So here's James Hong partying down.
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1524119605429497857

There's a couple triangular flags in the background, the only one I can figure out is I think one guy is waving a Qin flag.

Then there's a flag in the foreground that I think is from some corporate group, and another flag that doesn't fully unfurl that's got like a red circle with a character in the middle? Anyone know what those are?

Also for some balance, here's the triangular flag of Hong's original homeland.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'd like to know more about this flag

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

SlothfulCobra posted:

So here's James Hong partying down.
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1524119605429497857

There's a couple triangular flags in the background, the only one I can figure out is I think one guy is waving a Qin flag.

Then there's a flag in the foreground that I think is from some corporate group, and another flag that doesn't fully unfurl that's got like a red circle with a character in the middle? Anyone know what those are?

Never really though of Buddhism as something integral to Minneapolis tbh

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Violation of US Flag Code §8 (g), among other items. Oh but SHE'S the patriotic one.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Violation of US Flag Code §8 (g), among other items. Oh but SHE'S the patriotic one.

Flag code should be turned into federal law in the USA, with ridiculous penalties.

wakka wakka
Oct 9, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Pretty sure the US Flag Code only applies to US flags

count the stripes :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

A very bad flag, but a very good dog :3: