Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

galenanorth posted:

What are the best handheld console or modern mobile pinball games? preferably in a novel or cartoon style like Pokemon Pinball and Sonic Spinball, because if it's some bad 3D version, I'd probably just wait to play it on a non-handheld device

If you can find a way to play it then go look into Screaming Mad George's Paranoiascape for PS1. If only for a little bit.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

gently caress yeah friendship

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

fun fact: Metis is beloved by everyone

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

lmao

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

fun fact: Metis is beloved by everyone

glad to see the game accurately simulate reality

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
my friends have been dragging me down the randomizer and multiworld rabbit holes lately and after doing a stock standard normal difficulty 3-person smz3 playthrough ive got the bug and generated a varia seed just sight unseen using the veteran difficulty preset configuration they offer and it's morphed into trying out as many listed tricks as i can and a lot of pointless experimentation and 'hey i wonder if i could- ' tangents because i've lost everything i ever had with properly depraved super metroid gameplay and have parked at '100%ed it for the first time since college before dread and a few times since' and i want to get back into the sicko poo poo. anyway this is the state it's left my brain in so far (also my ancient relic of a laptop combined with snes9x's built-in avi recording make for obnoxious sound desync but not obnoxious enough to outweigh my laziness): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o57ev8TQic

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Jay Rust posted:

Look. I hosed up. I'm sorry okay??

Lost to friendly fire, did I shoot myself??? Lol

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

fridge corn posted:

Lost to friendly fire, did I shoot myself??? Lol

You bugged out and clipped into the level geometry, and bled to death

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I wish I was better at taking action snapshots...

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lmao owned

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

how nearby was the explosion

and randomizers/multi game/world stuff is so cool

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Relax Or DIE posted:

how nearby was the explosion

One tile but I think you took the explosion damage twice, it was weird

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Guess that question got answered

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Jay Rust posted:

You bugged out and clipped into the level geometry, and bled to death

Much like my posting!!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I beat Elden Ring! And it only took like three months longer than everyone else! I haven’t finished the endgame stuff like the Haligtree, capital sewers, and I guess I missed a boss in Farum, but man oh man I don’t think I have it in me to engage with this game more than the 150 hours I put in. Right now.

My end opinion pretty much lines up with what I felt like ten hours in, this is a great open world RPG but eh if you want The Fromsoft Experience, because you can use ashes to summon, or just decide the game is annoying you and just go somewhere else until you’re leveled/versatile enough to chump whatever was stymying you. Which is good! Great honestly! It’s just…I scarcely ever had that feeling of exhilaration, that “holy poo poo it’s over” rush of relief, and I guess I could play without summons, but the thing I like about Soulsborne is that (imho) it’s the kind of series where you do whatever you can to even the odds.

Also yeah they could have made this game smaller tbh, like maybe 2-3 less dungeons per region and more meat to the legacy dungeons to compensate?

Also also most importantly of all, browsing the credits showed a character named Aureletta. Who I’m pretty sure is the spirt jellyfish Aurelia’s sister. :)

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

There's a quest involving the jelly fish if you haven't done it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Died doing what they loved.... standing near explosions :unsmith:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Whizzing Wizard posted:

There's a quest involving the jelly fish if you haven't done it

Yeah I did it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

PC has been dead for 2 days now. Thought it was the PSU, but even putting a new one in and troubleshooting all the cabling it still won't boot even with literally everything disconnected other the the PSU/mobo

So it's potentially the mobo and now I've got the shits cause I dropped a little bit of money on a new PSU and don't want to fork out the money for a stop-gap replacement on top of that, which is what the situation warrants, and I definitely don't want to purchase a whole new rig at the moment, and I've just had the shits all night about it :livintrope:

Thank you for coming to my Rant Talk :jiggled:

(It's exacerbated by the fact I just grabbed this thinking I'd treat myself)

Jay Rust put me in a mission and make me punch something hard for you

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

AMD just did a presentation of the next gen Ryzen cpus and motherboards so definitely hold on if you can.

Related somewhat: I had a 3600ti in my shopping cart for nearly MSRP today. I eventually decided against buying it, but GPUs are back!?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1529103463350673410?s=20&t=-QQpCKbkLcid9rlqnjV1VA

Waffleman_ posted:

Terrible value, continues to diminish

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Ryzen more like uhhh Liezen Intel 4 life

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
How do they even know that you bought on a discount?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

this stupid service sucks so much rear end

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

this stupid service sucks so much rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CTeLy3Ujxc

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Whizzing Wizard posted:

AMD just did a presentation of the next gen Ryzen cpus and motherboards so definitely hold on if you can.

Related somewhat: I had a 3600ti in my shopping cart for nearly MSRP today. I eventually decided against buying it, but GPUs are back!?

Yeah I'm likely going stop gap, but gently caress me I didn't want to :(

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lol holy poo poo

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Looked at the full Asian market list and no Metal Gear in sight.

Ripped off

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yThfdrdFL8

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Anyone find they have less and less patience for talking in video games as time goes on (aside from like, visual novels obv). I feel like the people they hire for writing scripts freaking suck at brevity even though the dialogue is near fully voiced so it’s cheaper to write efficiently. Even in games I liked the dialogue in I tend to get a little exhausted because it goes on a little too long.

I mostly just started thinking about this because I booted up Bloodstained and I don’t remember SOTN or most of the other games having so much boring plot, it was mostly just enough to set you on your way and a string of demon fights. And I’m playing this newfangled Delta Tactics and the story isn’t even bad rn but I kinda wanna just skip the cutscenes so I can do more not-crappy Tactics Ogre combat.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Anyone find they have less and less patience for talking in video games as time goes on (aside from like, visual novels obv). I feel like the people they hire for writing scripts freaking suck at brevity even though the dialogue is near fully voiced so it’s cheaper to write efficiently. Even in games I liked the dialogue in I tend to get a little exhausted because it goes on a little too long.

I mostly just started thinking about this because I booted up Bloodstained and I don’t remember SOTN or most of the other games having so much boring plot, it was mostly just enough to set you on your way and a string of demon fights. And I’m playing this newfangled Delta Tactics and the story isn’t even bad rn but I kinda wanna just skip the cutscenes so I can do more not-crappy Tactics Ogre combat.

If there isn't text that I can read ahead of the voice acting I lose my mind.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Depends on the game. There are some stupidly wordy games that I still enjoy and don't skip the dialogue in (like Persona 5 or Final Fantasy XIV) even if I roll my eyes sometimes as the characters rehash something for the fifth time, but there are other ones that are just as wordy, or even less so, that I end up just completely losing patience with (like the beginning of Horizon Forbidden West, which I still haven't picked back up).

Not sure what really determines how much talking, especially "rehash the same point multiple times"-style talking, I'll put up with.

Sometimes it's even the same game that gets both treatments. When the Triangle Strategy prologue demo came out I was like "gently caress, this is a lot of very boring talking" but then when I picked up the full game it was mostly fine.

edit: lmao I was just searching for "Delta Tactics" like "oh poo poo is there another Tactics Ogre-style game out there??" and it took me a couple minutes to realize what those words are being used as synonyms for. But anyway the cutscenes are at their longest at the beginning and get more manageable later on, which is also when the story gets more interesting and the stakes are higher.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 24, 2022

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

It's incredible that an actual group of highly paid people saw the success of Game Pass and decided to plan a way to pivot their service in that direction and this was the result.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Whizzing Wizard posted:

i have a "3060 ti" which I don't know if that's good or not but it can run world of horror so it meets my current needs

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Harrow posted:

Depends on the game. There are some stupidly wordy games that I still enjoy and don't skip the dialogue in (like Persona 5 or Final Fantasy XIV) even if I roll my eyes sometimes as the characters rehash something for the fifth time, but there are other ones that are just as wordy, or even less so, that I end up just completely losing patience with (like the beginning of Horizon Forbidden West, which I still haven't picked back up).

Not sure what really determines how much talking, especially "rehash the same point multiple times"-style talking, I'll put up with.

Sometimes it's even the same game that gets both treatments. When the Triangle Strategy prologue demo came out I was like "gently caress, this is a lot of very boring talking" but then when I picked up the full game it was mostly fine.

edit: lmao I was just searching for "Delta Tactics" like "oh poo poo is there another Tactics Ogre-style game out there??" and it took me a couple minutes to realize what those words are being used as synonyms for. But anyway the cutscenes are at their longest at the beginning and get more manageable later on, which is also when the story gets more interesting and the stakes are higher.

That’s good to know about Triangle Strategy, I was wary about picking it up even though SRPGs are generally my jam but I was kinda wary after Octopath Traveller.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Triangle Strategy is also a game where a lot of the appeal is in the choices you can make in the story so the dialogue quantity makes sense

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The triangle strategy demo turned me off because of the dialogue too, if the best that can be said about the full game is it eventually averages out to "mostly fine" I'm gonna skip it

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Jay Rust posted:

The triangle strategy demo turned me off because of the dialogue too, if the best that can be said about the full game is it eventually averages out to "mostly fine" I'm gonna skip it

There's a couple of good lines here and there but the english VA and overall dialogue is pretty meh. My wife fell asleep every time we played it until eventually she lost the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ometeotl posted:

It's incredible that an actual group of highly paid people saw the success of Game Pass and decided to plan a way to pivot their service in that direction and this was the result.
the PS1 games are PAL versions too lol

and according to a leaked list there's only like 9 or 10 of them