Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

acksplode posted:

Not a requirement at all. You'd only want a decent GPU for hardware accelerated transcoding, but you'd be better off with an Intel CPU with quicksync instead, it'll save you space and energy and money. My Plex server has an i5 from 2017 and it transcodes 4K video like you wouldn't believe, while running a torrent client and related stuff. I used a HTPC case with space for 4 SATA drives and a low-profile TV tuner card.

edit: for your reference, here's my build minus the SATA drives. Idles at 30W, maxes out at 75ish W when all cores are pegged (rare).

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600T 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock H270M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 CL16 Memory ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Case: Silverstone ML06B-E HTPC Case ($127.16 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Silverstone SFX 300 W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply ($150.29 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua A12x15 PWM 55.44 CFM 120 mm Fan ($21.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $334.39
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-20 15:27 EDT-0400

This may be a dumb question, but how would something like this compare to a synology nas?

I’m looking for something that can run radar et al as well as stream to multiple devices. I was meh on 4K until I was reading the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Demon_Corsair posted:

This may be a dumb question, but how would something like this compare to a synology nas?

I’m looking for something that can run radar et al as well as stream to multiple devices. I was meh on 4K until I was reading the thread

I would not buy a Synology NAS if you plan on streaming to multiple devices.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Demon_Corsair posted:

IIRC virtually all of the consumer 2 and 4 bay Synology boxes run Celeron processors, If you're expecting multiple streams, especially any that require transcoding, then I'd say you would probably want to just build a box with an i5 like acksplode posted. It will handle more and has the option of adding a GPU for transcoding if needed and potentially upgrading depending on which Tik or Tok the cpu is in on the socket.

If having the bays is what you like then just find a case with a couple of 5.25" bays and you can add in hot-swap bays like this.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

A modern Intel i5 will transcode more streams than a decent gpu at this point.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Wibla posted:

A modern Intel i5 will transcode more streams than a decent gpu at this point.

Consider the state of GPUs these days that is excellent news.

Is there a good babbys first guide to this? What to buy for a build truenas/unpaid vs whatever etc etc

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Demon_Corsair posted:

Consider the state of GPUs these days that is excellent news.

Is there a good babbys first guide to this? What to buy for a build truenas/unraid vs whatever etc etc

You can find a bunch of different builds/ideas on the various forums (LTT, Level1Techs, UnRaid) but acksplode's build is a solid starting point.

I'd also say to check out the NAS megathread and post your requirements. So budget, number of drives (to start, this doesn't have to be a max), form factor/size, use case (for Plex, how many simultaneous streams do you expect to have, is it all internal?).

Also check out the Homelab thread as well if you start expanding your use-case into other stuff like webhosting, VPN/Routing, PiHole/DNS stuff, etc.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
So if an i5 is great for multiple streams, what's a benefit of an i7?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Bonzo posted:

multiple multiple streams.

And also, if you want to stream Inception from inside a stream of Inception.

(Serious answer: it's just faster. Probably you don't need an i7 Plex server. I use a Raspberry Pi.)

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Hyperthreading, instead of 4 cores 4 threads you get 4 cores 8 threads so if you start adding additional workloads with other applications or if you start seeing more simultaneous streams it can theoretically handle more of them. Also just generally higher base/boost frequencies so it's also potentially faster overall.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

They're doing 20% off the lifetime pass if anyone was waiting on a sale. https://www.plex.tv/geek-pride-sale/

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Scruff McGruff posted:

IIRC virtually all of the consumer 2 and 4 bay Synology boxes run Celeron processors, If you're expecting multiple streams, especially any that require transcoding, then I'd say you would probably want to just build a box with an i5 like acksplode posted.

Celeron processors that have quicksync will perform just as well as an i5 for hardware transcodes. There’s no need to spend more if you’re using quicksync.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Inept posted:

Celeron processors that have quicksync will perform just as well as an i5 for hardware transcodes. There’s no need to spend more if you’re using quicksync.

Even for 4K and/or HDR?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

My Synology 918+ can/has handled 6 simultaneous streams without an issue

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

Rap Game Goku posted:

They're doing 20% off the lifetime pass if anyone was waiting on a sale. https://www.plex.tv/geek-pride-sale/

Is 20% best case for Plex, or do they ever have lifetime passes with a bigger discount?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I think I got mine at 20% off many years ago so from a sample size of 1 I say yes.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

El Mero Mero posted:

My Synology 918+ can/has handled 6 simultaneous streams without an issue

are you able to add any info that's useful?

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
processor? stream bitrate, rez?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Redvenom posted:

Is 20% best case for Plex, or do they ever have lifetime passes with a bigger discount?

I paid 74.99 five years ago, but I think they said immediately afterwards that they'd never again discount it like that because they spent the next year making almost no money off monthly subs since everyone had a lifetime pass already

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EricBauman posted:

I paid 74.99 five years ago, but I think they said immediately afterwards that they'd never again discount it like that because they spent the next year making almost no money off monthly subs since everyone had a lifetime pass already

Yep. I got in on that one. No regrets.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Crime on a Dime posted:

Even for 4K and/or HDR?

Yeah. Quicksync is a dedicated part of the processor that is distinct from the regular CPU cores and integrated GPU. Quicksync varies in capability as you get new generations of processors, but everything within a given generation will have the same Quicksync hardware. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video#Hardware_decoding_and_encoding

Nerd poo poo on how modern Intel fixed function video runs on its own clockspeed separate from the GPU/CPU https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/microarchitectures/gen9#Unslice

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Crime on a Dime posted:

are you able to add any info that's useful?

What Inept posted is correct and I can personally confirm it?

The majority of my what's streaming is 1080p, and it can handle transcoding that just fine. For 4k, I haven't had any issues, but i don't know how many streams it could concurrently handle.

There's this NAS compatability guide that might also be of interest to you

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

It also helps that most of the main streaming devices (Roku, AppleTV, Shield) can usually play media in it's original format, no transcode necessary, if it's from about 2018 and newer. If most of your stuff is direct play then virtually any CPU will be fine. And now with stuff like Tdarr you can set up a gaming rig to make sure your library is in a format that works best for your infrastructure.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Tdarr has accelerated my plans for building a new system. I'm thinking an i7 because I'll probably run a VM or two for things like Homeassist, and connect it to a DAS.

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos
So I got the Plex lifetime pass since my DS220+ can't reliably handle 1080p transcoding, and I immediately find that even with hardware transcoding enabled... 1080p still buffers and lags really badly. -_- Is there some issue with PGS subtitles just clogging up the works really badly? Things are fine when I turn them off, but I pretty much need subtitles on because of hearing problems.

EDIT: I checked both Plex and Synology's resource managers and both of them report that the CPU isn't getting maxed out during transcoding if I have PGS subtitles enabled (whereas prior to buying Plex Pass it would be), so I'm assuming that means hardware transcoding is in fact working properly.

GFBeach fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 24, 2022

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

GFBeach posted:

So I got the Plex lifetime pass since my DS220+ can't reliably handle 1080p transcoding, and I immediately find that even with hardware transcoding enabled... 1080p still buffers and lags really badly. -_- Is there some issue with PGS subtitles just clogging up the works really badly? Things are fine when I turn them off, but I pretty much need subtitles on because of hearing problems.

EDIT: I checked both Plex and Synology's resource managers and both of them report that the CPU isn't getting maxed out during transcoding if I have PGS subtitles enabled (whereas prior to buying Plex Pass it would be), so I'm assuming that means hardware transcoding is in fact working properly.

Have you tried streaming the subtitles from OpenSubtitles? I’ve found that works for me sometimes when subs baked into the file cause a problem.

It should be under “Playback Settings” -> “Subtitles” -> “More”

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
If you hit the little details icon on the stream under Activity it will tell you if it's being hardware accelerated or not to confirm.

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos

Aware posted:

If you hit the little details icon on the stream under Activity it will tell you if it's being hardware accelerated or not to confirm.

Yep, reads "Transcode (hw)" under the video stream.

Splint Chesthair posted:

Have you tried streaming the subtitles from OpenSubtitles? I’ve found that works for me sometimes when subs baked into the file cause a problem.

It should be under “Playback Settings” -> “Subtitles” -> “More”

That works perfectly! It'll be annoying as heck having to dig around and find/retime the right subtitles for a given thing but this is a workable solution while I get a more automated solution figured out.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

GFBeach posted:

There's this trick to force it to use the i965 driver which can help.

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos

Yeah, I already enabled that in preferences.xml as was suggested in that thread.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Dumb question: So I finally got a friend to access my server remotely (I've given out like a dozen invites but nobody's reported back, lol). He can view my stuff but says it's in very low quality, like 320p. Is this a function of my internet connection, or his, or some setting in Plex? Do I even want to open it up if I can; will it affect my home bandwidth?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A lot of clients default to very low settings, but not usually as much as that. Worth a check of the remote streaming setting tho (do it in the main settings not while something is playing back as it’s just go back to default again).

If you have plex pass one of the server side options does allow you to force a quality too so worth checking that out in your options.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mister Speaker posted:

Dumb question: So I finally got a friend to access my server remotely (I've given out like a dozen invites but nobody's reported back, lol). He can view my stuff but says it's in very low quality, like 320p. Is this a function of my internet connection, or his, or some setting in Plex? Do I even want to open it up if I can; will it affect my home bandwidth?

What is your internet upload speed? This is important to know as it determines the max bitrate your friend can stream stuff from your server.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Iirc that got fixed a bit back and is no longer necessary.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Mister Speaker posted:

Try to load up the Plex dashboard when he is playing something and see what it reports as far as the playback performance that he is getting, i.e. is it transcoding, etc.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

He can view my stuff [...] Do I even want to open it up if I can; will it affect my home bandwidth?

It's probably going through Plex's relay service, which limits your bandwidth to 1mbps if you're on the free tier, so it'll look lovely. You have to forward a port on your router to your Plex server if you want to not look like it's 2006 streaming.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/216766168-accessing-a-server-through-relay/

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Interesting. Is that the same as using app.Plex.tv or whatever?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
A really silly question... When I try to play things from Plex that use DTS 5.1, my new Google Chromecast makes me transcode it. I'm not convinced my TV supports it. Is that what is triggering the request to transcode? When I search, I find people talking about the Chromecast itself having issues with DTS 5.1.

In my mind eg if I tried to play 4k on a 1080p TV, I'd imagine that the TV would just take the 4k signal and output 1080p. Same should happen in my mind with audio that's higher quality than my TV supports.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sad Panda posted:

In my mind eg if I tried to play 4k on a 1080p TV, I'd imagine that the TV would just take the 4k signal and output 1080p. Same should happen in my mind with audio that's higher quality than my TV supports.

Unless that TV specifically supported the ability to downscale a resolution it doesn't support (ie the days where a lot of 1080 TVs didn't actually display that resolution and they hid it behind marketing) then the TV would show a blank screen advising no signal.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Warbird posted:

Interesting. Is that the same as using app.Plex.tv or whatever?

No. It's specifically when your server isn't accessible from the internet because you don't have the port open on your firewall. Plex has some cloud servers that can act as an intermediary, but they restrict the bandwidth heavily because it costs them money to run them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Sad Panda posted:

A really silly question... When I try to play things from Plex that use DTS 5.1, my new Google Chromecast makes me transcode it. I'm not convinced my TV supports it. Is that what is triggering the request to transcode? When I search, I find people talking about the Chromecast itself having issues with DTS 5.1.

Your Chromecast probably can actually downscale in hardware. But DTS 5.1 is an audio thing, and... I guess it's possible it could downmix it in the Chromecast but I'm less certain that this is a thing. It's also possible--maybe even more likely--that Google didn't buy whatever license they need for DTS 5.1, so it just lacks the proper codec to decode the stream.

So probably you need some sort of decoder for 5.1 audio if you don't want to transcode. The good news, though, is that transcoding audio is way less CPU intensive than transcoding video. My suggestion is don't sweat this one.