Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Invisible Clergy posted:

https://youtu.be/PmyByJ4nqN0

I (26F) have been married to (23F) for a little under 3 years now. Her parents (50sMF) hid this from the rest of the family, and wants another wedding ceremony to cover their tracks. They also want me to pretend to be a man.

They should both pretend to be men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I just dont like waiting for people backing in tbh... figure out how to park on your own time

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Absurd Alhazred posted:

My contribution to the parking derail: my understanding was that it was not advised to back into a parking spot because it puts your engine and fuel tank closer to where people might crash into them.

I always pull through. That way I'm not going in reverse going in or out. :smuggo:

AITA for forcing a girl to share her measurements with the class when she said she didn't want to?

quote:

I 37M teach fourth grade (9-10 year olds.) In math they have been working on measurements, and at the end of this unit I always have them measure themselves. They then write this on the board and, because we are also working on mean/median/mode, we also find this for their heights. I've done it this way for years and never had a problem.

This year I have a student Fifi 10F who is very small, she's only around 3'6 so of course much smaller than her classmates. When we were measuring Fifi came up to my desk and asked if she could leave her height off the board because she was insecure about it. I explained that yes she did, I've had plenty of short kids and while that has its own challenges it is not an excuse not to do the assignment. Fifi seemed to accept this.

The evening I get an irate call from Fifi's mother calling me an abysmal teacher and ruining her daughter's self-esteem. She said it was out of line to expect Fifi to participate and she came home crying because some boys in the class were teasing her and erasing her numbers to make her appear even shorter, etc. Although I never witnessed any of that.

On one hand I know that I can't completely reframe a lesson just because one child doesn't like it, but I do feel that I should have had more compassion and sensitivity with Fifi. AITA?

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 24, 2022

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

My contribution to the parking derail: my understanding was that it was not advised to back into a parking spot because it puts your engine and fuel tank closer to where people might crash into them.

Can you back that up?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Can you back that up?

Something I vaguely remember from Israeli driver's ed prep booklets from the 90s? Not really. From reading around, even in Hebrew I'm seeing that it's no longer indicated, so I guess next time I park I'll keep that in mind.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Invisible Clergy posted:

https://youtu.be/PmyByJ4nqN0

I (26F) have been married to (23F) for a little under 3 years now. Her parents (50sMF) hid this from the rest of the family, and wants another wedding ceremony to cover their tracks. They also want me to pretend to be a man.

if the parents are goign to the cookoff and the rest of the family is in on it anyway she should totally go dressed in an over the top fake handlebar moustache, tweed suit and fedora and ham it up to really rub their noses in it

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm assuming DeeplyConcerned isn't serious and is just firing off terrible puns.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sounds like backpedaling :colbert:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Invisible Clergy posted:

Yeah, theoretically, it's 's'cool. When you delete letters in nonstandard ways, put in an apostrophe.
I call as my expert Dr. Ira Gershwin, who wrote " S'wonderful, s'marvellous, that you could care for me."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Serephina posted:

I'm assuming DeeplyConcerned isn't serious and is just firing off terrible puns.

Maybe, but I'm glad to have been pressed to take a step back and reverse my position.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Junk posted:

if the parents are goign to the cookoff and the rest of the family is in on it anyway she should totally go dressed in an over the top fake handlebar moustache, tweed suit and fedora and ham it up to really rub their noses in it

"how do you do, fellow males?"

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for not giving my brother $ when his crypto bottomed out?

quote:

My older brother David (55) has invested all of his extra money in a crypto. All of his money. His whole check would go into crypto and he would take out amounts or trades for his bills.

I guess it started going down a few months ago and he thought waiting it out would be better. In waiting it out he stopped paying rent. He has a rent controlled home in old San Francisco still stupidity expensive . He rents his two spare rooms to tech bros and students. (Illegally)

He was investigating the rent they paid through Venmo into crypto on their site. It bottomed out and now my brother is facing eviction. He’s now over $20k in debt with his landlord and has an eviction notice. One of the tech bro’s he sublease out to is suing him and his dad is a lawyer. The other roommate is looking into criminal charges on my brother for taking the rent but not paying the rent. Aka grand theft because their rent was thousands of dollars.

I have repeatedly helped my brother in life with money over $100k I repeatedly found him jobs that he won’t work due to the next get rich quick scheme. I’m feeling bad for him but this is on him and I’m not going to give him $20k when he has repeatedly stole rent money his roommate’s and invested it In shady crypto instead of getting a job other than gig works. (I’m not crapping on them because I’m sure they take poops smarter than my brother)

I’m not bailing him out this time. The economy is uncertain and I might need that money in an emergency down the road.

My brother is crying saying he’s in the hardest place ever because dad died last year and dad would have done it. My dad left all my siblings an = inheritance and guess what he did with his.

:mmmhmm:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Every once in a while I see someone who reversed into angled parking and I kinda just have to admire their dedication to causing trouble, especially if it's the crowded part of the lot by the store entrance.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Bruceski posted:

Every once in a while I see someone who reversed into angled parking and I kinda just have to admire their dedication to causing trouble, especially if it's the crowded part of the lot by the store entrance.

Or they pulled through from the other side

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Barudak posted:

Backing into a spot requires you to be able to clearly see behind you. In a small sedan, sure. In a F-350 thats so large you need a front camera or else you wont notice the sedan you're subsuming into your lower grill not so much

My family is involved in Farming and a lot of us have had a turn at driving a combine in a wheat field. The very first thing they tell you is “never back up. You have a whole loving field in front of you. Some people still try to back up and immediately hit something because they can’t see poo poo.

That said, trucks have rear view mirrors and you shouldn’t be driving one on public streets unless you know how to use them.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mx. posted:

Take over the rent and earn a mint.

The Lone Badger posted:

They should both pretend to be men.

They should have the wedding, and get *everyone* to dress up in a suit with a fake mustache.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
AITA for telling my sister I look down on her?

quote:

My older sister has always overshadowed me. For my entire life. My parents paid for her endless amounts of degrees that she is still acquiring and supported her 100000000% in her journey, but now that I am older, I can't help but look down on her.

She is a PhD candidate in archeology and has worked on dig sites for many of years. She met her husband there and adopted a dog they take on their adventures and travel the world and all that BS.

I used to be jealous of her, but now I just feel sorry for her.

She is almost 30 and still has like a year to go on her PhD program. Her and her husband own this tiny one bedroom apartment. She only travels to work. Her and her husband make a combination of less than $80,000 a year. Sure, they seem happy and eager to work and learn, but at the end of the day, they're just a bunch of nerds who never outgrew college. For fun, these two lay on the floor and do puzzles. She is nearly 30 and he is in his mid to late 30s and they still love superhero movies. She couldn't even find a guy her age that wanted her.

Me, on the other hand, I am 23 with my bachelor's and a baby on the way with my boyfriend. We currently are renting a house and are extremely happy. Once I get some experience under my belt, I'll be able to get a better paying job. We can travel the world just like they can.

The other night, my parents and my sister and her husband all had dinner together. She just wouldn't shut up about her fieldwork she was doing and her husband who is a professor was geeking out with her for a bit. Of course, my parents are facsinated by this and I just couldn't do it and I told her to shut up. I finally stood up to her and told her that she was no better than the rest of us and that what she does isn't even cool. That I felt sorry for her.

Eventually, my boyfriend made me shut up and she got all upset and walked out, but I just didn't feel bad. Her husband got up and was all like, "If you ever talk to my wife that way again..."

They left, dinner went on normally if a little awkward, and that's that.

My bf brought it up again yesterday and said he didn't like that side of me and that he lost some respect for me after seeing that.

I feel like I was brave for standing up for myself but now I am questioning it.

AITA?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Invisible Clergy posted:

A Fox one day spied a beautiful bunch of ripe grapes hanging from a vine trained along the branches of a tree. The grapes seemed ready to burst with juice, and the Fox's mouth watered as he gazed longingly at them.

The bunch hung from a high branch, and the Fox had to jump for it. The first time he jumped he missed it by a long way. So he walked off a short distance and took a running leap at it, only to fall short once more. Again and again he tried, but in vain.

Now he sat down and looked at the grapes in disgust.

"What a fool I am," he said. "Here I am wearing myself out to get a bunch of sour grapes that are not worth gaping for."

And off he walked very, very scornfully.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

:foxnews:

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Mx. posted:

Straight into my veins with the good poo poo.

Invisible Clergy posted:

Yes, dear little sister, you are a complete and total rear end in a top hat, great job illustrating the entire definition.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Invisible Clergy posted:

Academia isn’t for everyone. Pay is terrible, job security gets worse every day. These two seems to be living their best life, and terminally normie sis just will never get it.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

WIBTA If I didn’t go to my brother’s wedding over a bridesmaid dress?

quote:

I’m currently in medical school and live across the country from my brother/family. I was surprised when his fiancé asked me to be a bridesmaid because I barely know her, but she wants to have all siblings in the wedding. I made it clear that their wedding was during my final exam week, and while I was able to get an accommodation to take my last two exams early I still wouldn’t be able to help much with planning or be present at things like a bachelorette party/bridal shower. She said this was fine, it would mostly just be to have an even number of bridesmaids to groomsmen and for pictures.

There’s a group chat that was created months ago that I would read through every couple of days to get updates on things I needed to do, namely to order a bridesmaid dress. Links were sent with three styles to choose from and we would be updated on colors later. So a couple weeks go by and I ask what color to order, bride says she still thinking about it. Couple more weeks go by and she's still thinking… then a couple more weeks. You get the idea. Now it’s at the point that if I don’t order this dress in a couple of days it won’t be here in time. So I ask on Saturday what color. No response in the group chat to me.

I asked again yesterday (Sunday) what color do I need to order? Then I’m flooded with messages lambasting me for not ordering a dress yet, from her sisters and my sister and her. My sister called me, told me to “get my sh*t together” and “order a dress already” because my lack of preparedness is causing the bride intense anxiety because she doesn’t think my dress will be here on time for the wedding now. She texted me this morning, “don’t forget order your dress, love you” with smiling and kissing emojis.

Still, no one has told me what color! I’ve scoured the group chat for a mention of dress colors or an image of a dress but only the maid of honor sent a photo of her dress and I don’t know if she has a special color. There’s thousands of messages so it’s not simple to find anything. Everyone else can meet in person so I assume the decision on color was relayed in person. I can’t tell if I’m being purposefully excluded?

About an hour ago my brother called me pleading with me to work things out with the bride because she’s panicking about me. I tried to explain this to him and he told me he doesn’t care, its a petty ladies issue, and since I’m not there for anything else this is the least I can do because the bride thinks I don’t like her because I wouldn’t come to anything. He’s taking her side. They know I’m in medical school, I have literally no say in my schedule. And I’m on the other side of the country, 5.5 hours by plane.

I’m fed up with them and contemplating telling my instructors the wedding was moved and I will take my exams at the regular time. I’d have more time to study that way anyway. I haven’t told anyone in my family I’m considering this. WIBTA?

UPDATE: I called my mother and asked her what color the bridesmaid dresses are, she said lavender. The only color option on the website that I would call lavender are named pearly lilac, periwinkle, and orchid purple. I texted the maid of honor (bride’s sister) to ask what dress color and got a multi-paragraph long lecture about not having ordered my dress yet. Basically, they are trying so hard to accommodate me being across the country by including me in the group chat. She said she didn’t remember the shade name but its a “dusty purple” then sent a blurry picture of a wrinkled order confirmation, the shade name was “mulberry.” On the dress website that is a darker wine/purple color. I told her this and she said to order the lighter dusty purple color.

I sent her a screen shot with the list of shade names and asked, “which of these?” She said she didn’t know because everyone ordered their dress so long ago and asked for pictures of the dresses in different shades from the website. So I sent screenshots of all the light purple colors. No response for a while so I called her on the phone, which she was upset about because its past 10pm over there now. Her response was “look, I don’t care what your problem is with me and my sister but if you want to stay in good standing with this family you need to get your ducks lined up girly.”

I ignored the lecture/comments and asked: “what color?”

Her response? “Light purple”

Me: “of the three I sent, which one is it?”

Her: “I don’t remember, I’ll have to ask one of the other bridesmaids for her receipt, I’ll get back to you”

I want to bash my head into a wall!

I called my second brother, the one not getting married. He said they’re pulling similar things with him and he feels like he was deliberately given the wrong dates for the bachelor party by the best man (bride’s brother) so that he would miss it. He inadvertently learned about the changed date the morning of and when he asked the best man he told him it must have slipped his mind to tell him. Then joked that he wouldn’t have missed much since he probably won’t enjoy any of the “festivities” anyway. They’ve been making homophobic jokes and comments to him that he’s been ignoring but he thinks they’re trying to get him to back out of the wedding. So if we both back out then there will be an even number of bridesmaids to groomsmen again. Only speculation on our parts of course.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I can understand backing in to your spot at home or whatever if it’s easier in the morning, but if you back into a spot at the supermarket (or pull through), how are you going to get your shopping in the trunk?

I had a really stupid argument about this once on a neighbourhood Facebook group where some lady was all hoppin mad she couldn’t access her trunk for the shopping because she’d pulled through and someone had parked behind her, and it’s like ??? That’s why you leave your trunk on the open side, duh.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
In the us parking spaces are large enough that you can still have room to reach the trunk. Or you can put it in the cabin. Which you would probably want to do in a truck anyway unless you have a canopy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mx. posted:

WIBTA If I didn’t go to my brother’s wedding over a bridesmaid dress?

The reddit replies did it to death, but good god, just reading this post is a second hand anxiety attack.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Junk posted:

She should totally dress up as Elton John. The more flamboyant the better!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

She should totally go in a Pik and Green striped dress. And say, "i asked several times what colour to get, and none of you gave me a straight answer. This is what i thought you meant"

And the gay brother should totally go to the stag do, but hit on the homophobic best man, and make friends with the stripper.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

That bridesmaid dress story is giving me flashbacks to my old roommate's wedding. The MOH really, really did not like me and sent constant texts to remind me of that but not to send important dates, times, or details. I don't do weddings anymore.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
Bit of a long story, but so, SO worth it!

I let a reddit user talk me into sleeping with my wife and now idk what to do.

quote:

Throwaway for obvious reasons. But, my other account I used to post on porn subreddits as well as a local city subreddit.

About 4 months ago I was posting on a thread for a particular swing subreddit as I have done in the past. But, this time someone reached out to me in my reddit chat, let's call him John. John was asking if I was married, had ever tried swinging, or had ever watched a guy have sex with my partner or anything like that. I said no. He asked if I would ever be interested in doing a wife swap or getting into the swinging life style. I kind of half jokingly said that if the other girl was hot enough I would probably give it a shot but I don't know if my wife would go for it as I had never expressed this desire or kink to my wife. He told me him and his wife had been in the lifestyle for about 5 years and if I was interested he'd offer to help get us to try it out. He said he was about 2h away from me but him and his wife would by in town every few weeks to visit her parents.

Here is where I hosed up part one. I asked what his wife looked like. John sent me a photo of a very gorgeous woman. He told me how she loves playing with new guys, yadda yadda. And tbh I was kind of hooked. She appeared to be mid 20s and I'm late 30s and my wife is early 30s. Who don't get me wrong is still hot, but if I'd be lying if I wasn't enticed by the idea of having sex with a young 20 year old...

Over the next few weeks this guy coached me on what to say to my wife all while sending me photos of his wife and saying she's was excited to meet me. Much of it was warming her up to the idea of sleeping with another guy. He explained it was done this was because "I was already ready to sleep with another woman, it's about prepping your wife. Since she was the reluctant one." Which made sense. So it was getting her interested in the idea of an MMF then he'd bring his wife and it'd just be a MMFF and the wives would swap and she'd realize she's having fun. Having never really been in the scene it was making sense. This whole time he was also big on 'consent', he said if I was ever uncomfortable his wife and him would 'stop' and never contact us again. So I felt he was trustworthy.

After those few weeks my wife was warming up to the idea. Eventually she agreed and I told John that she was ready and we found a date for them to come over. But, to my wife it was just going to be John. John would surprise us with his wife and "my wife would be fine with it" he said. Well, his wife had something come up and couldn't make it. And because I told my wife it was just John coming over I couldn't exactly be like woah this isn't what I agreed too.

My wife had a pretty good time. Tbh this is hard to say but I'm kind of a selfish lover. He would go down on her and gave her attention that I hadn't given her in a long time. John gave her two orgasms and I finished while gave me head and John was going down on her.

Every couple weeks for the next few months John would come over and this time was bringing his wife, but something would always come up last minute. I kept agreeing because my wife seemed to have a good time and I kept being lured in by the idea of his wife. He kept reminding me I could always "Say no" and he'd never contact me again, but mentioned that would mean I'd never get to sleep with his wife or do the swap. So I kept agreeing.

After about two months of john coming over to do an MMF he mentioned that his wife had been in the area a number of times and wanted to sleep with me. But, he figured it wouldn't be okay with my wife. I asked how to get around it or what I could do. He said that I should suggest allowing her to 1:1 with him if he's in town. Because surely if it's okay to 1:1 with him it'd be okay for me to 1:1 with his wife. I told him I wasn't really comfortable with that and he said not to worry because he wasn't going to be in town for a month or two anyway but his wife would be a few times. I just needed to give my wife permission and it'd be okay for me. It kind of made since.

He said ultimately we should keep it on the 'downlow' because sometimes people can get jealous. So I gave my wife john's number and told her that if they wanted to have sex when I couldn't that'd be fine just not to let me know. That way I wouldn't have to tell my wife I slept with someone else.

At this point I was kinda upset because he had sex with my wife (and me) like 8-10 times at this point and I hadn't had sex with his wife. But, I kept seeing photos from her. I was planning on sleeping with her once then calling it off.

Over the next 7 weeks I was talking to his wife over text. She'd say she was going to be in town. But, then something came up. Either wasn't in town, or was going to have to take care of her sick parents. John would come over every other week and we'd do an MMF.

Then, his "wife" sends me a photo as she usually did before she was "Planning on coming over". I noticed something weird, some text that was partially cropped off. I did a reverse image search and found she was a poster on GW who had an OF. She was single as well and lived no where near where "John Lived". I confronted John and he blocked my number and deleted his reddit.

I told my wife to stop talking to him as well and she seemed soooo disappointed. She asked why/what happened, wanted the details. I just said we got into an argument. She said that's a shame, asked if she could keep seeing him because "they seemed to get along". I told her no. She asked if we could find another guy for MMF or her to play with "during the day". I asked what she meant and she said never mind "I had asked her not to talk about it". But after asking a few times she mentioned that since John was only 30min away or so he was coming over every day. He was WFH from our house and sleeping with my wife almost every day.

Now, my wife keeps asking about introducing another guy to the bedroom because it was a lot of fun and I "Must have enjoyed it to because I kept it going for 4months." She said she'd have understood if we tried once and I didn't like it but because I did it for 4 months I must have been enjoying myself as well. So now I don't know how to tell her I only put up with it because I was hoping to have sex with another girl..

what the gently caress do i do?

EDIT:

I'm going to come clean once I get home from work and I'll post an update tomorrow.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Evil Willow posted:

:yeshaha:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
lesbian couple should have the fake wedding so that they can get free food out of the parents.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Not a back-it-inner but you’re going to be protected by other cars unless the lots empty enough that you could just pull through and the debates irrelevant. If it’s just a convenience store thing where it’s a row nobody’s going to be cutting through the spaces at 10-15mph like in a grocery store/mall lot

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Dr. Stab posted:

lesbian couple should have the fake wedding so that they can get free food out of the parents.

still lolling that the parents thought they were fooling anyone with the "uhh, they're dressed as brides because they're BRIDESMAIDS for someone else's wedding. no we will not produce any photos of any other bridesmaids for this"

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Evil Willow posted:

The ol catfish/cuck combo

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's not the first time I've heard of something like that happening mostly along the same lines. Though it doesn't usually last long, good loving gravy.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Dr. Stab posted:

I was thinking this, too

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Evil Willow posted:

It's good... but is it too good?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Dr. Stab posted:

And the "groom" and all the rest of the family should show up wearing false moustaches.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Ratjaculation posted:

It's good... but is it too good?
Yeah everything about this screams creative writing but at the same time some idiots (especially late 30s creeps salivating at the thought of loving a 22 year old) really are that naive so I choose to believe

Props to his wife for finally getting to cum during sex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah everything about this screams creative writing but at the same time some idiots (especially late 30s creeps salivating at the thought of loving a 22 year old) really are that naive so I choose to believe

Props to his wife for finally getting to cum during sex

Yeah, the part I doubt isn't the idea that there's someone this gullible and gross, it's that such a person would have the insight to see themselves as a "selfish lover."