Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Arivia posted:

Welp

someone linked me to the twitter of the person who did most of the worldbuilding/art direction for the Baldur's Gate set and uh, their choices sure were something: https://twitter.com/justicejameson (linking the twitter in general, there's tons of comments on bunches of previews going back days)

so, basically, if you're wondering why everyone looks like tokenistic diversity central casting combined with tumblr queer shipping that's the directions they gave all the artists! yaaaaaaaaaaaaay isn't WotC the wokest?

i guess a quick list of highlights would be:
-bane, the evil god of tyranny, is apparently historically anti-Black
-they specifically pulled a card from the set for a character from the baldur's gate video games, because he was a dwarf mercenary who only cared about getting paid and that's anti-Semitic
-"In the original Baldur's Gate, Dynaheir is a demanding Rashemaar invoker who the player meets with Minsc, but her depiction as the only Black woman companion relied on tribalist and sexualizing stereotypes." i don't even know how they got this reading from a character who's from a strong matriarchal kingdom and is part of a matched pair with no sexual elements
-Baldur's Gate II's rules not allowing a halfling (Mazzy Fentan) to be a paladin was discrimination

like even as a person who agrees with some of this stuff, this feels incredibly diversity bingo and just gross

Why did the person link you the twitter if they knew it would upset you so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
no I in fact was not worrying about mtg being Too Woke because I'm a normal person who doesn't get mad at seeing a nonwhite person in art for a fantasy game. hell I'll even come out and say I enjoy it when it happens

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Arivia posted:

so, basically, if you're wondering why everyone looks like tokenistic diversity central casting combined with tumblr queer shipping that's the directions they gave all the artists! yaaaaaaaaaaaaay isn't WotC the wokest?

was anyone wondering this

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
All races must be represented proportionally or else it's unbelievable fiction. Also, they can't all be getting along and happy.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I actually really like what I'm reading on that twitter and now I'm just even more frustrated at both your really lovely framing and knowing that people must be incredibly angry at them for doing all this

I am coming at this from the direction of being aware that old rpg sourcebooks and the like could be really casually garbage sometimes though so I'm not being blindsided by that entire concept

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Arivia posted:

we can pretend it's not real but capitalism will always reenact it:

You are really weird and id enjoy it if you refrained from talking to me

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the yikesaroo emote

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I personally object to many cards in this set, but not for those stupid reasons and it's not important enough to talk about in detail

I'll just not buy the cards

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Arivia posted:

-they specifically pulled a card from the set for a character from the baldur's gate video games, because he was a dwarf mercenary who only cared about getting paid and that's anti-Semitic
-"In the original Baldur's Gate, Dynaheir is a demanding Rashemaar invoker who the player meets with Minsc, but her depiction as the only Black woman companion relied on tribalist and sexualizing stereotypes." i don't even know how they got this reading from a character who's from a strong matriarchal kingdom and is part of a matched pair with no sexual elements
-Baldur's Gate II's rules not allowing a halfling (Mazzy Fentan) to be a paladin was discrimination

I agree with all of these though op. DND, like most derivatives of lotr, has many problematic elements and I'm glad they're directly being addressed in this set. even if their motivation is that they think it will make them more money and not actual genuine care about marginalized groups, it's still a move in the right direction. and afaik they didn't advertise it to get brownie points, I had to hear about it secondhand from the diversity officer on Twitter and not a big loud article from wotc patting themselves on the back. so, no, this doesn't give me the willies like it apparently does you. But thanks for posting

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sailor's Bane
7UU
Creature - Dragon Turtle
This spell costs 1 less for each card is an instant, sorcery, and/or has adventure that is in your graveyard or exile.

Ward 4
Murktide has ward now.
Although Murktide + fetches is half the strength.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 24, 2022

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Oh no not diversity

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

HootTheOwl posted:

7UU
Creature - Dragon Turtle
This spell costs 1 less for each card is an instant, sorcery, and/or has adventure that is in your graveyard or exile.

Ward 4
Murktide has ward now.

The “in exile” part seems pretty big not just for Adventure decks, but also decks who cast and recast their spells from the GY (which tends to end up with them being exiled once they hit the GY again). I mean, so long as those decks want a big dumb idiot to spit out.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

kalel posted:

really wish there was a tool where you could plug in some cards and it would spit out recent decklists that used them

I'm not taking about a single card, I'm talking about multiple cards simultaneously. like I want to know the lists, formats and results of decks that used e.g. prismatic ending and endurance and scalding tarn in the same deck

You can do that on mtggoldfish: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck_searches/new

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

7UU
Creature - Dragon Turtle

Ward 4
Murktide has ward now.

That uh.. seems like pretty good synergy with Murktide tbh

Exile a whole bunch of instants and sorceries for your murktide, then have big dumb creatures that are hard to remove as a bonus. Though I guess what would you even remove from the main deck to make room for this. Ragavan and DRC are both just straight better than this imo, though maybe the deck could lose Ragavan for a few copies of this plus some more card draw or something

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

That seems cool but I think Legacy Murktide decks already have enough Murktides (post Ledger Shredder I think a lot of lists are only running 3) and I think flying and growing is better than Hexproof.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

That uh.. seems like pretty good synergy with Murktide tbh

Exile a whole bunch of instants and sorceries for your murktide, then have big dumb creatures that are hard to remove as a bonus. Though I guess what would you even remove from the main deck to make room for this. Ragavan and DRC are both just straight better than this imo, though maybe the deck could lose Ragavan for a few copies of this plus some more card draw or something

Not sure there's much appeal for a card that's only good after you've already cast Murktide, when instead you could play cards that are good before you play Murktide, or to protect a resolved Murktide, since an unchecked Murktide will likely win you the game.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

fadam posted:

That seems cool but I think Legacy Murktide decks already have enough Murktides (post Ledger Shredder I think a lot of lists are only running 3) and I think flying and growing is better than Hexproof.

Agree

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Arivia posted:

Welp

someone linked me to the twitter of the person who did most of the worldbuilding/art direction for the Baldur's Gate set and uh, their choices sure were something: https://twitter.com/justicejameson (linking the twitter in general, there's tons of comments on bunches of previews going back days)

like even as a person who agrees with some of this stuff, this feels incredibly diversity bingo and just gross

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WOTC hired a recent graduate who went to school for english, politics, and gender studies, and they put together a well themed D&D set that represents more than old white dudes from the upper midwest. Pretty cool! You can just navel gaze at Elminster if your feel your white masculinity is threatened, so nothing to worry about.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

7UU
Creature - Dragon Turtle

Ward 4
Murktide has ward now.

it's a dragon turtle with pseudo delve/affinity and ward 4. it's literally the baby of murktide regent and kappa cannoneer

kalel fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 24, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's graveyard or exile, so you can still cast it through a rip or leyline. Something Murktide can't do.
And also that means you can cast it before murktide since it doesn't remove the cards. I think also Cannoneer showed us how powerful Ward is.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I don't play Legacy or Modern really so I am not sure how frequent it is but I'd imagine graveyard hate is decent against murktide because it shuts off DRC and murktide both. Sideboarding in the dragon turtle when your opponent is going to side in graveyard hate seems good

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the problem with the adventure turt is that he can't fly or become unblockable, which is the real power behind his parents. just chump this guy for days until picks up a shadow spear

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah, all those decisions are great.

Well, except the dwarf one, cause dwarves being obsessed with gold is something that comes from really old myths and I don't think every greedy character in fiction is anti-semitic. This isn't the same as the J. K. Rowling goblins or Watto here. But it's a call I can understand someone making. :shrug:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

Not sure there's much appeal for a card that's only good after you've already cast Murktide, when instead you could play cards that are good before you play Murktide, or to protect a resolved Murktide, since an unchecked Murktide will likely win you the game.

Yeah that's true

Though maybe it's more valuable post board when they're going to cut off your graveyard potentially. Since the big dumb turtle is still castable (in fact, even better if they've exiled your graveyard) and harder to remove once it's hit the board for a lot of decks

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

It's graveyard or exile, so you can still cast it through a rip or leyline. Something Murktide can't do.
And also that means you can cast it before murktide since it doesn't remove the cards. I think also Cannoneer showed us how powerful Ward is.

Fair points.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

HootTheOwl posted:

Sailor's Bane
7UU
Creature - Dragon Turtle

Ward 4
Murktide has ward now.

Well at least if murktide eats a ban then there's something to sort of replace it immediately.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

fadam posted:

I don't think the turtle is going to break legacy or anything but it is getting stupid how many good blue beaters there are now. This is supposed to be a weakness for blue but instead poor tarmogoyf has been power crept to unplayability.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kashuno posted:

I don't play Legacy or Modern really so I am not sure how frequent it is but I'd imagine graveyard hate is decent against murktide because it shuts off DRC and murktide both. Sideboarding in the dragon turtle when your opponent is going to side in graveyard hate seems good

Well none of the new cards in this set are Modern legal so it would only be for Legacy anyway, and Legacy has more ways to deal with threats like FoW and Daze

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
All the Baldur's Gate previews jsut make me wish we were getting an actually interesting D&D setting instead.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Oh no a 7/7 with no evasion, how will legacy contain such a threat???

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

MonsieurChoc posted:

All the Baldur's Gate previews jsut make me wish we were getting an actually interesting D&D setting instead.

One of the preview cards is a spelljammer illithid starship so that's something I guess

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Kashuno posted:

Does playing a 7/7 that can be chumped forever on turn 5 really seem that good?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

As fun as this new D&D set is looking to be, and as someone that bought two boxes worth last summer when AFR came out, with Double Masters coming up barely a month after Baldur's Gate. I'm probably going to hold off on buying a box from this set in order to see about getting a box, maybe two of Double Masters when it comes out. It's too much money man. I might just only open one box and hold on to the other to see what happens.

Like I am excited about a new Commander Legends set, but I'm also sort of bummed it's not MTG specific reprints of staples we absolutely need, hence why I'm looking over at the Masters set which is supposed to be all reprints. Plus just that burnout of new set after new set.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Paul Zuvella posted:

Does playing a 7/7 that can be chumped forever on turn 5 really seem that good?

It can come down well before turn 5. No evasion sucks but if murktide gets the axe then an early 7/7 isn't bad

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jiro posted:

As fun as this new D&D set is looking to be, and as someone that bought two boxes worth last summer when AFR came out, with Double Masters coming up barely a month after Baldur's Gate. I'm probably going to hold off on buying a box from this set in order to see about getting a box, maybe two of Double Masters when it comes out. It's too much money man. I might just only open one box and hold on to the other to see what happens.

Like I am excited about a new Commander Legends set, but I'm also sort of bummed it's not MTG specific reprints of staples we absolutely need, hence why I'm looking over at the Masters set which is supposed to be all reprints. Plus just that burnout of new set after new set.

Yeah unless you're planning on drafting I'd definitely say Double Masters is a better choice than Baldur's Gate

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

In the old days when I played (2009-2013) I'd buy a fat pack and a booster box for every set. Now fat packs don't include a booklet, and there are a thousand loving versions of most cards in each set, and a million sets at a time. I've officially accepted that I'm done buying anything but singles with the exception of SLs that fit directly into my niche interests like the 40k stuff. I'll make 4 or 5 decks of mostly commons/uncommons from sets that seem fun and just let the rest wash over me. I'm as obsessive as they come and MtG is just too much now.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ilmucche posted:

It can come down well before turn 5. No evasion sucks but if murktide gets the axe then an early 7/7 isn't bad

Does it? Im going through scenerios in my head but turn 3 is only possible if you play a turn 1 DRC, cast a force of will and spend every mana you have on turn 2 casting instants and sorceries while also surveiling an instant or sorcery into the yard with each surveil trigger.

cast 3 instants, surveil 3 instants gives you six, you can cast it for 3 mana on turn 3. That's not really realistic, because you're also going to be dazing poo poo and holding up intereaction.

You're going to miss on DRC, you're going to not draw DRC, even then you're going to miss on surveil triggers.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yeah unless you're planning on drafting I'd definitely say Double Masters is a better choice than Baldur's Gate

These days I'm just an EDH player, needing only one of a card instead of multiples appeals to me way more. But you are right, I think I'm just more jazzed about the two new Dominaria sets. Also those Warhammer precon deck prices can :fuckoff: paying that much for four Temple of the False Gods (allegedly)

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Paul Zuvella posted:

Does it? Im going through scenerios in my head but turn 3 is only possible if you play a turn 1 DRC, cast a force of will and spend every mana you have on turn 2 casting instants and sorceries while also surveiling an instant or sorcery into the yard with each surveil trigger.

cast 3 instants, surveil 3 instants gives you six, you can cast it for 3 mana on turn 3. That's not really realistic, because you're also going to be dazing poo poo and holding up intereaction.

You're going to miss on DRC, you're going to not draw DRC, even then you're going to miss on surveil triggers.

I think you are right that rushing the turtle is a mistake, but like murktide it's just a big beater that likes it when you play cantrips. I'm guessing 2or 3 of these with 4 murktides in jeskai control as 4 strong threats that can end the game fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

neaden posted:

I think you are right that rushing the turtle is a mistake, but like murktide it's just a big beater that likes it when you play cantrips. I'm guessing 2or 3 of these with 4 murktides in jeskai control as 4 strong threats that can end the game fast.

Jeskai Control doesnt play murktide at all, and it certainly wont start playing 3 copies of a way worse version.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 24, 2022