Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Yes I think I have seen that one, I might use it next time, though to be honest the dock is a bit high anyway, wasn't putting that much effort into making it look nice, just the easy bits.

The correct height for embankments is ~4.0-4.25m no I won’t be taking any questions about how I’ve determined this and especially how long it took.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

What is "empty weight" for a vehicle and why should i care about it?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

punishedkissinger posted:

What is "empty weight" for a vehicle and why should i care about it?
The game has a detailed motor simulation running on every vehicle. The motor power and the current weight along with road grade describe how fast it can accelerate to max speed.

In other words same power, different empty weight, different empty acceleration.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

zedprime posted:

The game has a detailed motor simulation running on every vehicle. The motor power and the current weight along with road grade describe how fast it can accelerate to max speed.

In other words same power, different empty weight, different empty acceleration.

Thank you! Going to have to do some spreadsheets now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah power to weight ratio and road grade are quite important for vehicle performance. You also want to minimise sharp turns when possible, it's most noticeable with railways because optimal track layout and signaling can allow you to maintain speed with a fairly underpowered engine (and putting the six megawatt engine on everything will eat electricity) but it applies to literally all vehicles. So it's also a good idea I think to make sure your distribution offices and such have their access roads oriented in the right way, or a Y junction where they join parallel roads.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah power to weight ratio and road grade are quite important for vehicle performance. You also want to minimise sharp turns when possible, it's most noticeable with railways because optimal track layout and signaling can allow you to maintain speed with a fairly underpowered engine (and putting the six megawatt engine on everything will eat electricity) but it applies to literally all vehicles. So it's also a good idea I think to make sure your distribution offices and such have their access roads oriented in the right way, or a Y junction where they join parallel roads.

Lol if your distribution office vehicles ever return to the depot

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

how do people make good slipways? they always end up with almost 90 degree turns for me.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Spent all weekend learning this / Reading Anime Store's LP and this thread. I have my first sort of working districts going but refuse to post screenshots because despite loving the communism flavor I am myself averse to being publicly owned.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Capntastic posted:

Spent all weekend learning this / Reading Anime Store's LP and this thread. I have my first sort of working districts going but refuse to post screenshots because despite loving the communism flavor I am myself averse to being publicly owned.

Don't worry, no one else comes anywhere near to his perfectionist level of detail.

:justpost:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
https://www.sovietrepublic.net/post/report-for-the-community-51

Erosion modeling on mountains holy poo poo

edit: NON SQUARE BORDERS WHAT THE gently caress

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

Benagain posted:

This game seems like it ought to be the poster child for feature creep, but it seems like they are implementing nearly everything in a reasonable/intelligent way.

Every post they make completely kills my desire to play until the next update comes out (especially want to play with their cosmonaut start plans). Then I see beautiful pictures (like in this thread) and get the urge to play again. :negative:

I feel like I should just set a reminder for 2 years from now when the game is done and pick it up then. Ought to even be done with my dissertation by then, and would even have time to actually play...

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

ABen posted:

This game seems like it ought to be the poster child for feature creep, but it seems like they are implementing nearly everything in a reasonable/intelligent way.

Every post they make completely kills my desire to play until the next update comes out (especially want to play with their cosmonaut start plans). Then I see beautiful pictures (like in this thread) and get the urge to play again. :negative:

I feel like I should just set a reminder for 2 years from now when the game is done and pick it up then. Ought to even be done with my dissertation by then, and would even have time to actually play...

Considering you can now turn on the new content whenever it gets released, on old saves/cities, you're not losing anything by playing today. If it matters a lot though, think of the future stuff as currently not being under your jurisdiction - they are solved by some other state department not sorting under the office of the region god vernor (you). Your political influence will ofc correct that in time but you got to start somewhere.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Add me to the list of people who hosed around with this a while ago (six months-ish maybe?), didn't stick, but came back with a vengeance. The Management thread flurry of activity around it semi-recently got me to at least gently caress around back in it. The second its hooks fully engaged in my brain was when (as recommended by this thread) I set up a basic gravel setup and, after some moderate screwing around figuring out dry goods vs. aggregate transport, not being able to store asphalt and concrete, etc., and set to construct with resources instead of rubles. When all the vehicles went to do their jobs and came back to lay a little stretch of road it was like ah, ok, I get it, I am very much on board for this. The second thing I had them build was a red star monument marking the first thing constructed with our labor.

That town is long gone, but the lessons live on doing babby's first dip into Cosmonaut (medium starting cash, not loving with water). The bballjoe (lol that username) how-to really helped, as did catching up on this thread over the last couple of weeks.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Benagain posted:

:tviv:

This offers some interesting potential. Rain and rainwater runoff management when??????

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Did I miss something or is the rain is a noise map applique for random and custom maps. Which is cool but not like water table management cool.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Now people can build terrible ugly borders around their poo poo maps!

I really want to sit down and build like 3 maps that satisfy me but man, it is not a simple process. I totally get why so many are not great but I’m down to abour 3 across the entire workshop I’m willing to start on, these days. Hopefully the weathering feature makes it a lot easier to craft more real looking landforms.

Also new posters: Just Post your screenshots. At worst I can give you advice that I picked up through people commenting on my LP and that I’ve learned. At best I steal concepts from you. It sounds dumb but I do a lot of “I never thought to arrange the buildings like that,” because I find one look or arrangement that works for me and stick to it forever until something breaks my mold.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

I'm really stoked at the mention of different dimensions for maps as I always go with the 1:5 extra large maps in Transport Fever and find a nice river valley or canyon type map. I would love a 10x50 km or similar size map where the rail system can really stretch its legs.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Gonna be posting some questions here if that is okay:

If a vehicle has two or more routes to a destination, is the pathfinding good enough for it to pick a smart one (like a road that bypasses a metro district)?

What is the best way to use / set up distribution centers?

How do I make good squarish/parallel roads without the intersections and corners doing weird poo poo?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Capntastic posted:

If a vehicle has two or more routes to a destination, is the pathfinding good enough for it to pick a smart one (like a road that bypasses a metro district)?

I don’t *think* it considers traffic, but it will consider total “allowable” speed on a route. They’ll take a direct dirt road instead of a paved round-about-way to get somewhere, and definitely evaluate when it’s faster to use a certain path that way. Maaaaaybe with the new traffic sim there’s some considerations, but my guess is no - if you have a lower trafficked road you want say, your power worker busses to use, give them a waypoint along that road to force them from a worse route.

Capntastic posted:

What is the best way to use / set up distribution centers?
First mile or last mile supply, imo. There’s a lot of flexibility in the answer to this question though because it’s very dependent on how you set up your whole logistics system/infrastructure, and there’s no real right answer.

I like to set up formal lines to handle the large scale storage to storage hauling. For example, a train will circle my cities and dump food at each town or group of towns shared warehouse. (Usually the end of this circuit is export, so it’s something like “top off every warehouse, export excess.” You can get fancier with this now that there’s train distros, but let’s ignore them for this example to keep it simple.) Each town will have a distro center of covered trucks to grab from that more local warehouse and fill up the stores. I like this method because if I build a large distro center it can cover fuel, all the consumer goods, and coal for a heating plant. It becomes a “one stop shop” for any supply needed for that town. It makes it easy to remember when building a town “hey, I’ll need a distro center to feed it.” And that way it doesn’t cause weird chaos of “gently caress, what distro center or line is feeding this store? I didn’t label anything, gently caress”

They’re also handy for the opposite, the sort of “first mile” hauling. Having bunches of distros to haul crops to silos is super useful, they can also be useful if your build is such that a factory needs some kind of truck-shuttle to get their goods to a train connected storage.

Don’t use them, imo, for things that “should always” happen. This is kind of a hard thing for me to find the words for, but for example: If I have a power plant that’s somewhat significantly distant from my coal storage, I prefer to set up a line that says “wait until unloaded” with coal so they will have that little extra buffer of coal and also won’t spend their time going back and forth on the road. They’ll sit at the power plant until empty, refill, and head right back. This can be accomplished with distros, really, so it’s just a preference.n

Capntastic posted:

How do I make good squarish/parallel roads without the intersections and corners doing weird poo poo?

Im on my phone but I wrote a small guide on this that’s buried somewhere, I think in this thread. You might be able to view my posts and just stop scrolling when you see pictures of just roads. It might be worth redoing that guide now that they added more tools.

You can use F1 twice (or click the grid twice) to enable snapping, and F4 (or check the box) for parallel roads. If you want distant parallel roads, you can build like 10 parallel ones and delete the middle ones.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015
So I have been playing cosmonaut mode for a while then water/ww showed up and kicked me in the arse. I lost all my population before I could build my water and wastewater......err......correction, rebuild my water and ww several times as I tried to figure out how it all works. Basically what it came down to is that it was easier for me to restart a new game than try to save my old one. Granted I put some hours into it but it was my first cosmonaut mode game so it was a learner.

Now I start another cosmonaut game and hopefully this will be better.

Rules are cosmonaut mode with everything turned on (seasons, water/ww, complex roads, schools, hospitals, and crime, etc)

I subscribed to a couple of 'realistic' maps on the Steam workshop. It seems that people correlate realistic to bombed infrastructure. There are bridges and railroad tracks that have been 'bombed' and need to be replaced. I was thinking of using the helicopter CO to do this since the work is all over the map.

A couple of questions though.

Helicopter CO cannot build railroad tracks so I have to use a Train CO to do this, correct? Can a cargo helipad work with a train CO?

There seems to be 'thousands' of small town littered all over the map. I am thinking of doing three different things.

One: Bulldoze them all down and rebuild if I need them.
Two: Just leave them alone and let the people move out and leave behind empty towns.
Three: Try to support them by using trucks to provide water/ww and food. Build modded heat plants / exchangers, hospitals, stores, etc.

One last thing. Is it me but doesn't the communist border be on the right side of the map and NATO on the left side?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I personally like using the small towns and building on them when they're in strategic areas.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The north/east being nato and the south/west being warsaw absolutely confounds me as well.

Only rail CO can build railway, yes, it's quite annoying as I would like to be able to build it using other methods. Apparently they are making changes to this for the next patch to facilitate cosmonaut integration because you will need to be able to build it from the map border without teleporting a construction train into the map.

I think most of the maps will look for excuses to not have infrastructure built because infrastructure building is the entire point of the game. Some of them come with like, half finished bridges etc, but generally it's hosed so you can have the chance to build it yourself.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

First mile or last mile supply, imo. There’s a lot of flexibility in the answer to this question though because it’s very dependent on how you set up your whole logistics system/infrastructure, and there’s no real right answer.

I like to set up formal lines to handle the large scale storage to storage hauling. For example, a train will circle my cities and dump food at each town or group of towns shared warehouse. (Usually the end of this circuit is export, so it’s something like “top off every warehouse, export excess.” You can get fancier with this now that there’s train distros, but let’s ignore them for this example to keep it simple.) Each town will have a distro center of covered trucks to grab from that more local warehouse and fill up the stores. I like this method because if I build a large distro center it can cover fuel, all the consumer goods, and coal for a heating plant. It becomes a “one stop shop” for any supply needed for that town. It makes it easy to remember when building a town “hey, I’ll need a distro center to feed it.” And that way it doesn’t cause weird chaos of “gently caress, what distro center or line is feeding this store? I didn’t label anything, gently caress”

They’re also handy for the opposite, the sort of “first mile” hauling. Having bunches of distros to haul crops to silos is super useful, they can also be useful if your build is such that a factory needs some kind of truck-shuttle to get their goods to a train connected storage.

Don’t use them, imo, for things that “should always” happen. This is kind of a hard thing for me to find the words for, but for example: If I have a power plant that’s somewhat significantly distant from my coal storage, I prefer to set up a line that says “wait until unloaded” with coal so they will have that little extra buffer of coal and also won’t spend their time going back and forth on the road. They’ll sit at the power plant until empty, refill, and head right back. This can be accomplished with distros, really, so it’s just a preference.n

I'd agree with this. Distribution centers are by their nature, reactive. So if you want something to always be shoving goods from one place to another, ideally you should use a train but failing that, that is what a dedicated line is for. Add enough docking locations at the output end for the fleet to park up in if the line becomes saturated at that end, and set them all to "wait until unloaded" and they will just park up in there and not use fuel/clutter the roads unless there is something to shift. A distribution center can do the same thing, technically, but the trucks will sit in the center and won't be sent out until the location drops below a certain amount of storage, so depending on how big the storage is, this can mean that you have delivery disruptions as it takes time for them to get to the pickup and out to the delivery point. Whereas yes with the "wait until loaded/unloaded" toggle they will only transit full loads and will also act as a buffer at the delivery location.

Their best use case is when you have a bunch of jobs that don't quite need a whole truck to do and/or don't run all the time, rather than using lots of small trucks, and setting up lots of small lines, they can all share a truck and the distro center will assign them as needed, it is also faster to set up for things, as noted, like supermarkets, where you can just click them all to the distro center and they will generally get the right orders set up automatically, assigning the relevant vehicle to haul the appropriate crap to the necessary locations. Good for keeping traffic off the road and depending on how you set up the percentages and how much space you have in the warehouse, you can shovel big loads of stuff infrequently, rather than using lots of small deliveries, and the truck can do other jobs in the meantime.

E: oh also re: intelligent traffic, possibly yes since the complex traffic update you can designate "city zones" which seem to make traffic avoid driving through them, there are also stricter signs you can place to block non-essential traffic or different kinds of traffic.

https://gameplay.tips/guides/workers-resources-soviet-republic-the-ultimate-complex-traffic-guide.html#Zones

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 30, 2022

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

quote:

It's worth repeating this one. If you're not already, you should be using distro centers with your fields for harvesting. This lets the farm building have just tractors and harvesters, and does a much better job of taking the crops where you want them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Though I have found that the new agro farms are able to handle it themselves pretty easily, and you can connect them easily to trains or other stuff to haul your grain in bulk.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Why are all my parents dying why do I need 10 fuckin orphanages what the hell

(Do I not understand this mechanic? Is it just offloading kids?)

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
I've never needed more than a single orphanage.

Are you getting a lot of escapes? Pretty sure they just leave their kids behind.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

I have one orphanage with about 70 kids for a population of just over 7000 with zero recent escapes. But I also have a bunch of mechanics disabled cause I'm a noob and don't want to mess with seasons, water, or crime...

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pollution directly affects the health of your residents, and a lack of medical care is inevitably fatal (which is why the inability to build anything smaller than a full city hospital without mods is obnoxious if you want to have a village). Make sure you aren't placing your homes right next to your industry.

That and unhappiness driving out parents as previously mentioned

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also needed shitloads of orphanages, like about 5-10% of the republic I would guess is made of orphans.

No real issues with health or anything that I could tell, minimal pollution exposure, good doctor coverage, clean water and sanitation.

Just a normal soviet country with a very strong contingent of pirates of penzance method actors.

The annoying part is that this eats a lot of labour to look after them, and if you don't it drives up crime, which means more people get murdered, which means more loving orphans.

Until I turned crime off and on again my country was just a giant orphan factory where an increasing proportion of state resources was devoted to orphan containment, either in orphanages or with police to try and stop them killing more people and making more orphans. I was experiencing a full orphan SCP scenario. The end state I think would have been everyone just killing everyone else until I ran out of people to run the heating plant and all the orphans froze to death.

The game I think has basically approached dwarf fortress levels of death spiral at this point.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 1, 2022

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Are you getting a lot of escapes? Pretty sure they just leave their kids behind.

This just made me lol for real: “I’m getting out of this shithole but my kids can go gently caress themselves”

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYmK-mPUDgQ&t=384s

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 1, 2022

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

The annoying part is that this eats a lot of labour to look after them, and if you don't it drives up crime, which means more people get murdered, which means more loving orphans.

Are you positive it works this way? I was under the impression orphans just died if you didn't take care of them, and not that they turn in to disloyal criminals. Meaning that a poorly maintained orphanage with low-loyalty staff is actually worse than no orphanage at all. Though maybe this was changed since I last played when crime & justice was in beta.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Are you positive it works this way? I was under the impression orphans just died if you didn't take care of them, and not that they turn in to disloyal criminals. Meaning that a poorly maintained orphanage with low-loyalty staff is actually worse than no orphanage at all. Though maybe this was changed since I last played when crime & justice was in beta.

the game has tooltips specifically saying it works this way. not sure if that actually means it's true though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I didn't try just deleting all orphanages, but I was running into an issue where they were all getting severe overcrowding, and I was getting more and more orphans and a massive uptick in deaths coinciding with an unstoppable tide of "serious crime"s that I couldn't investigate quickly enough before more would happen and the cops would go on to trying to solve them, as it appears to split cop attention between all active cases, so if your patrols find too many crimes the police station basically stops working because they stop processing them, or presumably are processing them all glacially slowly until they expire. I had thousands of unsolved cases per station per year, built a dozen of them or so to try and solve it.

Eventually the only thing that sort of worked was deleting all but one cop car per station, which limited the rate at which crimes could be discovered and thus allowed them to be solved, but this also led to gigantic numbers of "unpatrolled crimes" which tanked happiness (being murdered does not appear to directly affect happiness and neither does solving cases, people seem to be mostly mollified by the cops showing up and saying "we will definitely look at this" and then never doing anything with the case, the game being a possibly unintentional simulation of reality in this instance, and also following the axiom of "death solves all problems" as people who are murdered do not show up in happiness surveys) however if you don't actually catch the crims, they go on to do more crimes, so that's your main motivation to actually catch them.

A way to solve this would be to limit the maximum number of cases that can have attention split between them, so that cop stations have essentially a max throughput of solved crimes, rather than hitting critical mass of criminality at which point the cops just sit in the station under an ever increasing pile of paperwork and cry. But I wouldn't say I necessarily dislike the crime event horizon failure spiral.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 1, 2022

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

punishedkissinger posted:

the game has tooltips specifically saying it works this way. not sure if that actually means it's true though.

It’s a shame this is too long for a thread title

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
From reading some orphan discussion on the steam forums it looks like they will not turn to a life of crime if just completely abandoned, due in most part to no longer being alive, and orphanages are indeed counter productive until you can staff them with at least 50% loyalty tutors. Which means to best avoid a spiral I´m afraid you need to leave those starving orphans on the streets until you can get everyone a radio and your propaganda stations up. Even then it seems they stay a net negative, but they at least won´t cause the downfall of your glorious republic and you´ll be less of a monster.

Or just reset loyalty and crime in the debug menu once you get radios, and hand wave it away as some sort of boon from the technological leap forward.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

From reading some orphan discussion on the steam forums it looks like they will not turn to a life of crime if just completely abandoned, due in most part to no longer being alive, and orphanages are indeed counter productive until you can staff them with at least 50% loyalty tutors. Which means to best avoid a spiral I´m afraid you need to leave those starving orphans on the streets until you can get everyone a radio and your propaganda stations up. Even then it seems they stay a net negative, but they at least won´t cause the downfall of your glorious republic and you´ll be less of a monster.

Or just reset loyalty and crime in the debug menu once you get radios, and hand wave it away as some sort of boon from the technological leap forward.

Time to crush my orphanages.

I really wish there was something in between radios and nothing. Loyalty being *so* tied to that really fucks up early cosmonaut starts where getting a whole rear end electronics chain running is nuts.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Time to crush my orphanages.

I really wish there was something in between radios and nothing. Loyalty being *so* tied to that really fucks up early cosmonaut starts where getting a whole rear end electronics chain running is nuts.

Yeah, it's frustrating that while you can place monuments, they seem to cap out at about 30% loyalty or so which is enough to keep everyone from leaving immediately, but not enough to really do anything good. I've got a movie theater, let me commission propaganda for them! Heck, maybe tie some of the loyalty further into the "I live in a nice building with indoor plumbing and near stores where I can get things I need and the heat is provided for me and the doctor doesn't charge me anything and l-" aspect in the beginning when moving people from lovely village homes.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Count me as another person that has bounced off this and is back to try again. I think I blew all my money trying to figure out how to level an area for a mine and then refunded the game in frustration.

And now I'm back with what I'm sure will be one of many basic questions. I'm loving around with roads for my starter base and can't figure out how to make a Y junction. What am I missing here, why can't I connect this last piece?

Also has "a fabulous assortment of soviet dumpers" been a thread title yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Demon_Corsair posted:

Count me as another person that has bounced off this and is back to try again. I think I blew all my money trying to figure out how to level an area for a mine and then refunded the game in frustration.

And now I'm back with what I'm sure will be one of many basic questions. I'm loving around with roads for my starter base and can't figure out how to make a Y junction. What am I missing here, why can't I connect this last piece?

Also has "a fabulous assortment of soviet dumpers" been a thread title yet?

Just don't try to connect it all in one go. Just something you'll have to learn, but splitting off a road tangent to a corner like that is super finicky. If you just get a small green segment you can drag a second segment and finish the T. This weird thing is something that will bug you forever because that angle probably works, but only for very specific lengths of road for seemingly no reason.