Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

it's 2022

using hardware raid in a new era of chip scarcity and "oops, Schenzen locked down for two months" is deliberate introduction of a major single point of failure in systems that can take extra weeks or months to work around

a dental office can work on paper and good faith for a day while someone gets a softraid setup working again or sorts out restoration from backups. it can't survive waiting for a new server or raid card for two months.

and raid cards loving suck, it's like they're one of the most aggressively cost optimized parts you can toss in a system.

citation: had this exact issue come up, in all places, with a literal dental office about 10 years ago

This so much. The solution I support has an option of having its own private cloud that comes with a rack of HPE servers. The raid controllers suck. In the past if we needed work done of any kind, the tech would come in, do the work and leave as soon as they can. I mean like Road Runner cloud of dust leave. Now, if they need to reboot or power off the server, they sit and wait for it to come back up, and no matter what they are doing, they have an extra raid controller on hand (if available) because they can't be sure the controller will work after the restart. The solution does not even use local server storage, they have Nimbles, so it's just another thing that will gently caress up your day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

The Fool posted:

move to cloud infra, then you can argue with people about what sku's they're using and its always because they're over provisioned

“Yes, I understand when this app was on prem it had a server with 4 cores and 8gb of memory, but that server was also hosting 35 other IIS apps. You really don’t need to provision your k8s pods with 4 cores and 8gb ram.”

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

xsf421 posted:

“Yes, I understand when this app was on prem it had a server with 4 cores and 8gb of memory, but that server was also hosting 35 other IIS apps. You really don’t need to provision your k8s pods with 4 cores and 8gb ram.”

I have the opposite problem.

"Yes, I know this is a lot of hardware for a database but you're trying to master your entire CRM footprint in near real time and you told me that it has to be able to handle the absolute worst edge case situation where someone runs a batch job on all 10 million records because it's somehow literally impossible for you to change your business practices so those have to be scheduled in advance or batched. Recursively matching records to other records is inherently a computationally inefficient thing and I can't change the fundamental laws of mathematics and computer science."

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is it possible to move hardware without destroying something?

"One of the moved chassis has a power supply issue after it arced when plugging it in"

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Hughmoris posted:

This is awesome. If you care about such things, there is a minor typo spotted in your 'about' page: The results are also sent to a historical trable that stores the 180-second results for 24 hours.

*One last question: what do you use to make those sweet AWS schematics?

Diagrams is a cool tool that lets you define your diagrams in code. One of my colleagues gave a lightning talk about it, I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 18, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bob Morales posted:

Is it possible to move hardware without destroying something?

"One of the moved chassis has a power supply issue after it arced when plugging it in"

...ᵖᵉᵒᵖˡᵉ ᵖˡᵘᵍ ˡⁱᵛᵉ ᵖᵒʷᵉʳ ⁱⁿᵗᵒ ᶜᵒˡᵈ ᵖᵒʷᵉʳ ˢᵘᵖᵖˡⁱᵉˢ?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Potato Salad posted:

...ᵖᵉᵒᵖˡᵉ ᵖˡᵘᵍ ˡⁱᵛᵉ ᵖᵒʷᵉʳ ⁱⁿᵗᵒ ᶜᵒˡᵈ ᵖᵒʷᵉʳ ˢᵘᵖᵖˡⁱᵉˢ?

Our ops/dc team seems....not good

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

This guy doing this training this week...runs late into lunch, runs 15-20 minutes past end times, gives us tiny breaks (5 minutes?)

He's getting a bad feedback survey!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

This guy doing this training this week...runs late into lunch, runs 15-20 minutes past end times, gives us tiny breaks (5 minutes?)

He's getting a bad feedback survey!

I once had someone complain on my survey because I end early on the last day (we usually have tests right after lunch) so people can catch flights and I can pack up and poo poo. I always offer to stick around for people, but this person was mad that the class wasn't the full amount of hours he paid for.

On the other hand, I once had a student say "I'll be right back" and I was thinking "he must have an emergency call or something." After 40 minutes, I was thinking "where the hell is this guy?" and he walks back in with a large iced coffee from dunkin donuts. There was not a dunkin donuts in the building.

Training is a land of contrasts.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Intern started this week. Gave her an account etc

"is there another way to log in? I'm too lazy to remember the long passcode"

"I didn't install putty but vscode instead. do you all use putty?"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I will give interns a ton of leeway for stupid poo poo

it is my job to reduce the amount to stupid in a way that doesn't cause trauma

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Fool posted:

I will give interns a ton of leeway for stupid poo poo

it is my job to reduce the amount to stupid in a way that doesn't cause trauma

Told her I'd help her set up an ssh key in the morning

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

when they go to their first real job and the interviewer asks them about their internship experience I want them to be able to articulate that they learned something useful and positive

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Hell yeah, libraries are awesome. Good luck!

i think this post worked because i feel like the second interview went really well. the lady seemed to really like me and i had good answers to all of her questions. i'll know for sure early next week but i am very optimistic. it's cool to read work emails about the IT plans for the summer and be like "wow that sounds like it's gonna suck poo poo. not my problem tho"

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Our new Grad has a great attitude and the makings of a good tech support officer, but he doesn't quite grok a few things yet.

Like, we gave him the usage stats for our servers which includes information like total space available and current space used which is produced in the form of a monthly excel spreadsheet, and asked him to make a report using our visualisation studio on a bunch of aspects of it including a forecast of when to expect the server to reach capacity. I spent about 3/4 of an hour convincing him:

1. you should use the forecasting tool in the visualisation studio to calculate and represent this rather than putting manual formulas in a bunch of new columns in order to calculate the rate of change and the rate of change of the rate of change and the gradient in order to somehow manually forecast it.

2. you should be creating any calculated columns in the studio report itself so that we can just point the report at each new iteration of the source data whenever it becomes available, and no it doesn't matter that you're pretty sure that you can add the columns that you've been adding to the excel spreadsheet provide the data directly underpinning all your other graphs in about 15 minutes when the new data comes out: this report needs to be available to people with access only to the raw source data and not fall over whenever you're not there.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

we have this incredibly precarious arrangement of distributing and supporting student laptops that is like, either borderline or actually fraudulent because my boss keeps loving up the damage insurance so like half the families have been charged for coverage that their kid's laptops don't actually have. those chickens are gonna come home to roost big time next school year when the eighth graders (insane, notoriously do not give a gently caress about anything) are busting their laptops left and right, so next year we are going to need enough computers to distribute to incoming students, replace broken ones from this year, and swap out as many as 40 further laptops depending on how much interest the class of 2023 takes in using them as weapons or simple machines

these computers have not been ordered and less than three months remain before the start of next school year. my boss has some scheme planned wherein a large portion of the needed amount will be purchased using covid emergency money disbursed to us for the purposes of buying remote learning equipment, but we don't know when those orders will arrive or exactly what kind of laptops they'll be. we also don't know when any of the regular orders will arrive, because we haven't placed them yet. i'm not sure what the plan is for configuring them for the students but if my boss doesn't get intune sorted out real quick it's going to be clonezilla flash drives again

i simply want nothing to do with any of this. i have tried my damnedest for the last four school years to make this rinky-dink scheme work despite the best efforts of our vendors and my boss and i am beyond ready to wash my hands of it. let someone else deal with this house of cards as it tumbles down. if i don't get the library job i'll just start an onlyfans

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
omg Crypto bros are the worst

I’m trapped with one of them in a group chat save me :negative:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ask him how much he lost in the crash

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

start linking him tweets from @web3isgreat

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
We need a 'bit to butt" browser extension. It might take a butt of work, but it could keep you from being too buttter about hearing about buttcoin all day.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Ask him how bitcoin is going when you still can't use it to pay for groceries after 12 years :allears:

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

i'm going to need to fly to our office and fight somebody
some product dickhead turned on an a/b test in the middle of the night and hosed off and it broke prod
so me and a dozen other engineers spent two hours trying to figure out what happened because it was in the front end injecting HTML into the dom and everything on the backend was fine. we're looking at all our monitoring and absolutely nothing looks wrong. we only discovered the change by blind loving luck.
and apparently the tool they were using did not go through a threat review, so security is also unhappy!

i'm doing this now so i can get it out before the blameless postmortem so i don't go 'you, i am personally going to throw your laptop in a river'

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

poo poo not pissing me off: excellently documenting a biannual task that has a bunch of steps, so now that I'm doing it for the first time in 2 and a half years it's easy to do

poo poo pissing me off, the many generations ago Intel i3 with 4GB RAM I'm doing it on.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Well thats a first - I've been working on an issue and I've found someone else in the wider company has already encountered something similar and resolved it, but I can't see what they did.

I'd ask them but they are unavailable for the forseeable future - as they are Ukranian and are currently fighting !

Yep my issue can wait.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I was asked in a job interview today to describe how I would go about bringing back into the office a workforce that is very resistant to ending WFH.

lol

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

tactlessbastard posted:

I was asked in a job interview today to describe how I would go about bringing back into the office a workforce that is very resistant to ending WFH.

lol

What was your response/their reaction?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Since when did IT set compensation levels?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tactlessbastard posted:

lol

"I wouldn't".

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

tactlessbastard posted:

lol

That's easy, just explain to the workforce that their effectiveness, results and concentration are improved by working from the office.

...oh they aren't? That's weird. I mean, that was the reason you wanted people back in the office, right? :smug:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Its been infuriating to no end to have companies brag about record profits in one breath than stress returning to the office to increase productivity with another.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The data center I'm in has a crash cart with a keyboard that has no usb ports. The machine I am doctoring only has two usb ports. I need to plug in a thumb drive, a keyboard, and a mouse. I cannot do this and it's making me grumpy this morning.

It's worse because we've been asking for decent components for this stuff for years and management tells us to make a list of what we need, we provide it, and we keep getting castoff handmedown scraps.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Don't they make fairly inexpensive USB splitters these days?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

xzzy posted:

The data center I'm in has a crash cart with a keyboard that has no usb ports. The machine I am doctoring only has two usb ports. I need to plug in a thumb drive, a keyboard, and a mouse. I cannot do this and it's making me grumpy this morning.

It's worse because we've been asking for decent components for this stuff for years and management tells us to make a list of what we need, we provide it, and we keep getting castoff handmedown scraps.

Can't you add a dumb 2/4port usb hub to that crash cart? If it's just mouse and keyboard no need to find a powered one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's inexpensive usb everything, doesn't help me right now and I'm not spending my own money to equip a data center with millions of dollars worth of hardware in it anyways. Jerks need to give me tools to do my job effectively.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I went looking for one recently because my work laptop has only two ports and sometimes I need a USB stick. Took way longer than expected. None of the places you used to find cheap lovely ones for 1-2 units currency have them anymore.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I bought one a while back for the same reason, cheap and lovely but gets the job done.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Breetai posted:

What was your response/their reaction?

It was a canned multiple choice screening, I picked the most passive aggressive one, which was something like 'explore why workers are resistant to ending WFH' as opposed to 'Discipline workers who will not return to the office'

Of course the BOFH answer wasn't available, which would be 'sabotage their home internet connections'

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
If you email me with a question you DONT NEED TO CC MY BOSS AND YOUR BOSS, IT WONT GET YOUR QUESTION ANSWERED ANY FASTER, IN FACT IT MAY TAKE EVEN LONGER. Thanks.
For years now, I've been trying unsuccessfully to come up with a polite, diplomatic way to tell people to not do this as it annoys me to no end.

sporkstand fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 24, 2022

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

sporkstand posted:

If you email me with a question you DONT NEED TO CC MY BOSS AND YOUR BOSS, IT WONT GET YOUR QUESTION ANSWERED ANY FASTER, IN FACT IT MAY TAKE EVEN LONGER. Thanks.
For years now, I've been trying unsuccessfully to come up with a polite, diplomatic way to tell people to not do this as it annoys me to no end.

Reply all:
“[Boss], I see you and [other boss] were CC’ed. I have the information needed and will be happy to provide it, but will defer to you in case you’d rather handle it directly. Please let me know if you’d like me to respond to [rear end in a top hat]’s request.”

Obviously, your boss has to be at least a little bit in on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

sporkstand posted:

This is a classic CYA move. Just lean into it because it might help you down the line.