Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The paint is one thing, Im wondering how deep the stain penetrates. The right answer here might be to repaint a better color. Or get the paint off and try to restain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I got a huge Galileo thermometer for Christmas last year and I'd really like to build a wall-mount stand for it.

Are there any good online instructions or plans for something like that? Something classical, if I can swing it.

EDIT: Well there's this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-lrgEMrKxw
... although ideally I'd like a recessed base and brass mounting hardware for the top. The recessed base may be a bit above my current pay-grade, though.

I could also just get something on Etsy, but that's no fun.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 20, 2022

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

A power planer is a cool tool but not that easy to use on a vertical, and you won't be able to use it all the way to the top or bottom of the posts so you'll still have to clean those up. Also it's intended to work on bare wood, paint will probably gum it up.

If the paint is a bit loose, you can hit it with a power washer. If it isn't, chemical stripper is a good option - strip & power wash maybe? You can also scrape or sand. Every option is somewhat messy.

The paint is fairly new, probably 5-10 years old, only one layer. It's in my living room, so a power washer isn't an option and I'm not sure it'd do what I want. I tried heat and it seems that it works better the more layers there is, it just didn't do much to the paint, a bit of bubbling but no dramatic lifting like I've seen elsewhere. Probably 120 ft of beam total... if all else I'll just clad it and let some poor bastard wonder why it's cladded in 2065.

BigFactory posted:

The paint is one thing, Im wondering how deep the stain penetrates. The right answer here might be to repaint a better color. Or get the paint off and try to restain

Great question! It's blood red, so I'm assuming a ways. But hopefully not too deep...

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Where does everyone go for inspiration? I'm building my summer list of projects I will think about, half start, and then leave sitting when other projects demand priority, or I gently caress it up and get frustrated.

Anyway, are there any good one-stop or compiled resources that just have a fuckton of various styles and items of furniture, boxen, decor, etc?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

if you mainly want variety, probably Pinterest

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

if you mainly want variety, probably Pinterest
Maybe more curated and less lovely webdesign than that. I was thinking books or professional/serious amateur woodworking sites.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

BigFactory posted:

First test pass, about 0.040". Going to rig up the dust collector later and try out a beam. It didn't seem to mind the paint at all, but I could see if there was 90 years of accumulated layers it could get gummy.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Even with your current success, I might suggest getting a HF power hand planer just in case.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

Even with your current success, I might suggest getting a HF power hand planer just in case.

That's a good idea, I can use that for the upper layer of paint and finish it with the nicer one.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
I was poking around on facebook marketplace and came across a photo of an interesting jobsite table saw stand:

I messaged the seller, but he wasn't super interested in being helpful if I wasn't buying the table saw itself. Just wondering if any of you guys have seen this design or something similar and might know where I can get some plans. I hate designing my own poo poo.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

revtoiletduck posted:

I was poking around on facebook marketplace and came across a photo of an interesting jobsite table saw stand:

I messaged the seller, but he wasn't super interested in being helpful if I wasn't buying the table saw itself. Just wondering if any of you guys have seen this design or something similar and might know where I can get some plans. I hate designing my own poo poo.
Google lense brought up this
https://www.etsy.com/listing/965269000/dewalt-table-saw-station-plans

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

Where does everyone go for inspiration? I'm building my summer list of projects I will think about, half start, and then leave sitting when other projects demand priority, or I gently caress it up and get frustrated.

Anyway, are there any good one-stop or compiled resources that just have a fuckton of various styles and items of furniture, boxen, decor, etc?

I have yet to find a total one stop that I am totally satisfied with, but I would say that https://www.1stdibs.com/ has an insane amount of furniture (and other stuff) from all sorts of periods, some have great photos, some not so much.

Fine Woodworking magazine of course is great, the readers gallery in each issue has some top notch stuff. Lumberjocks is good too, the search function isn't great, but if you don't mind just browsing through projects you can find some nice stuff.

Books that I have that I always seem to go back to every few months: The Difference Makers and Arts & Crafts Furniture: From Classic to Contemporary. Usually this leads to additional searches as I look at the makers other stuff online.

Instagram is also pretty good.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Ah, thank you! Somehow, I had never heard of Google Lens before this.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Trying to match stain sucks. I have bought half dozen different colors but none of them are right. Is double staining bad? It seems easier and cheaper than mixing stains before applying.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Finally got some motivation to get the jointer project on wheels.

Next step is taking it apart for finishing but it's 95 degrees outside to eff that.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I made some lanterns, the wood is cherry and the shade material is mica. I might need to play around with the bulb size, but this is all I had, I'll probably hang them and see what I think.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Those are cool. Where do you get the mica, from like a fireplace store? Or can you just order it in sheets

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

BigFactory posted:

Those are cool. Where do you get the mica, from like a fireplace store? Or can you just order it in sheets

Thanks. Ordered it in sheets: https://www.ashevillemica.com/clear-amber-mica/

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Meow Meow Meow posted:

I made some lanterns, the wood is cherry and the shade material is mica. I might need to play around with the bulb size, but this is all I had, I'll probably hang them and see what I think.

This owns. Where do you get your plans from? I wanna do stuff like this guy.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Made a quick and dirty lathe stand. I was shooting for it to be elbow height at the spindle, but it ended up 2-3" shorter than what I think would feel good:

It's 26" to the tabletop plus ~14" to the spindle center, I'm 6'1". I wanna put casters on it, but I was going to do the workbench casters that aren't touching the floor unless they're engaged. I guess I'm gonna have to make some blocks for the corners to raise it up. Or I could just put regular casters on, I've got a set kicking around. I'm just leaning over too much at this height.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Yeah you really should raise it, that sounds like a back or neck problem waiting to happen.

Maybe just some 2x4 pieces running front to back, braced so they can't tip over.

Wouldn't recommend live casters for a lathe, they have a habit of walking with any unbalanced load.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I just got a router thanks to the tools thread pointing out Ryobi days, so now I'm interested in building a router table! Are there any goon recommended (free) plans, like the SAA workbench I've seen tossed around?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I would figure out if your router works with the generic aluminum plates available online. Then figure out if your interested in building a lift or not. Finally build vs buy for the fence. These choices will drive your design/choice of plans.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

I. M. Gei posted:

This owns. Where do you get your plans from? I wanna do stuff like this guy.

Thanks, this one was my own design and I drew up my own plans for it. Although I consulted Fine Woodworking and Canadian Woodworking to see how they did similar projects and modified as I saw fit.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Just sticking my head in as I've started on a DIY guitar kit. The body comes pre-treated so since I want to stain it I have to sand it first.

I got a Black and Decker Mouse hand sander which came with 80, 120 and 180 grit pads. The tutorials I've seen said to go at least into the 200's so I got some extra pads up to 800. I've gone to the highest grit now but it's leaving marks on the wood. To look I would say scratches, but I can't feel anything under my finger. Going at it longer doesn't seem to help, but if I go down to 80 or 120 again it comes right out.

Not sure what the issue is, should I just go over with a lower grit and leave it? Something I've missed, or can I just ignore it? Maybe stain will mask it, or maybe it will highlight it. This only happens on the back for some reason, no problem on the front.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Few years back I made these shoji lamps based on the plans at Bike City

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Just sticking my head in as I've started on a DIY guitar kit. The body comes pre-treated so since I want to stain it I have to sand it first.

I got a Black and Decker Mouse hand sander which came with 80, 120 and 180 grit pads. The tutorials I've seen said to go at least into the 200's so I got some extra pads up to 800. I've gone to the highest grit now but it's leaving marks on the wood. To look I would say scratches, but I can't feel anything under my finger. Going at it longer doesn't seem to help, but if I go down to 80 or 120 again it comes right out.

Not sure what the issue is, should I just go over with a lower grit and leave it? Something I've missed, or can I just ignore it? Maybe stain will mask it, or maybe it will highlight it. This only happens on the back for some reason, no problem on the front.

Show us pics?
It may be as simple as a piece of larger grit stuck in your fine grit sandpaper, or maybe something else is going on.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

BizarroAzrael posted:

Pics would help, but there could be a few issues.

1. That sander is likely not a random orbit, so it moves in the same pattern

2. If you didn't clean the dust off between grits your finer paper could be clogged with larger dust which is scratching

3. 800 is really high for unfinished wood. More than good enough to stop at 240 and then stain. Finer grits might inhibit the ability of the wood to take the stain.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

Once you get the finish off, switch to sanding blocks instead of the power tool.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I saw a video the other day about machine sanding technique, in particular focused on tool speed and how fast you move it across the work piece. I think it was from Stumpy Nubs. It exactly covered this, how tool speed and technique affects getting/avoiding scratch marks etc. on the work.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Starting to use that osage, going to be pretty embarassing if it doesn't brown up like the rough lumber did

thanks for the link, I was having trouble sourcing this stuff. Those lamps look rad as hell

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Starting to use that osage, going to be pretty embarassing if it doesn't brown up like the rough lumber did

thanks for the link, I was having trouble sourcing this stuff. Those lamps look rad as hell

Your thing is pretty rad too.

Why the double grid lines in that middle part though? It's bugging my brain out. Is it on a hinge so you can fold it in half?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

BizarroAzrael posted:

As someone who builds guitars, stop at 240, or 320 if you feel you must.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I'll do a final sanding at 320 on stuff because I finish with oil and wax and that last little bit of smoothness is nice. If I'm doing something like shellac or doing an inside face then I'll stop even as low as 120.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Looka that old half-sheet beast. Me likey the maple. You making an outdoor chess table?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Wallet posted:

Yeah, my place is from the late 1800s and the PO(s) put like 20 coats of paint on top of the old carved balusters and caps and poo poo (:gonk:). The touch of dark brown on the details was really something. From before I purchased it:

The best I found was just slathering on some CitriStrip, covering it in saran wrap, and leaving it for a few hours. Even being very cautious it was basically impossible to get the many many layers of paint off the most detailed stuff without destroying it. I discovered when all the paint was off that the ball finial was a pine one for a fence post someone had bought at Home Depot.
Yeah, I thought that was weirdly out of scale. Go big or go home.. (You can get reproduction newel post finials, by the way.)

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I. M. Gei posted:

Your thing is pretty rad too.

Why the double grid lines in that middle part though? It's bugging my brain out. Is it on a hinge so you can fold it in half?

because I didn't double check when laying it out, and once the glue was down it turned out the inlays lined up a little narrower than I'd thought lol

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Building a very-too-big lathe stand. I really wish delta made a lathe extension that was only ~6" long but no, it turns a midi lathe into a 58" long monstrosity.

My usual shop stand thing/matthias ripoff design. Box jointed frame, joined with slip/loose/whatever tenons. This one is black locust because I have SO GODDAMN MUCH.

And then I was hoisted by my own petard when I discovered I couldn't fit the frames vertically on the slot mortiser. I had to route them by hand with an edge guide like some filthy commoner.

It'll get some hefty casters, a couple drawers and a top (maybe kickdown feet and some extra weight in the bottom but we'll see) and then I can continue actually building furniture (which was my whole goal this year).

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Our new home has a much bigger shed (yay, more room for woodworking) but its also set quite far away from the house. Since I don't fancy trekking through the backyard every time I need a screwdriver I thought I'd make a toolbox to keep a set of everyday tools in the house, leaving the shed to be woodworking-focussed.

Managed to get it done in a Sunday + 4 evenings which is fast for me. It was an interesting challenge trying to keep weight down but strong enough to hold heavy tools and stay balanced. Copied a feature from Rex Kruegers design where it only has 3 feet to make it a tripod to prevent it wobbling. Since it won't often need to carry saws/planes I was able to keep it fairly small.

I'll also try and build a matching drill/driver tote, like this one: https://www.lumberjocks.com/projects/225994

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Finally got a place with a big garage and decided to finally try my hand out at doing woodworking as a hobby and possibly a side gig so I bought a poo poo ton of tools and now I'm poor. I'm building a workbench that has a bunch of cutting tools built into the surface.

Bottom row is table saw / miter saw / router table, top platform is a jointer.

I already cut and built the top surface and 2x4s before I figured out the miter saw is gonna have to be removed out of the way to rip long pieces of wood on the table saw. I see some people make the platform swing down, might check that out.

No idea if any of this is gonna work out but it was fun learning fusion 360 and getting used to using power tools, never really used more than a circular saw before. Nothing makes me pay attention more than the jointer spinning up.

Also considering robbing people for their lumber, prices are stupid.

ddiddles fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 28, 2022