Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

sleepwalkers posted:

a macbook air doesn't become a tablet when i want a tablet

Turns out Microsoft had a point all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
I have a 3rd gen iPad Air. Do the magnetic trifold covers stick to the back of that? I’ve seen some examples where people have cut off the magnetic side of the trifold cover to create a home made magnetic iPad mount, but all of the “proper” magnetic mounts I’ve seen for sale are all for the 4th/5th gen Air or the Pros, so I’m not sure if that’s because the material that the 3rd gen is made of isn’t suitable to support itself magnetically?

My plan is to mount it on a vesa-mount adjustable monitor arm so I can have it at eye level, so I need it to be strong enough to hold in place. I’ve looked at using a monitor stand instead, but those are all wider than the iPad so it’s pretty much guaranteed to fall off.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I don’t think the Air 3 has the magnetic back the the newer flat sided iPads have. The Smart Cover only attaches to the left edge on those if I’m remembering correctly

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Sri.Theo posted:

Turns out Microsoft had a point all along.

man I wish the surface book was any good!!

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

hatty posted:

I don’t think the Air 3 has the magnetic back the the newer flat sided iPads have. The Smart Cover only attaches to the left edge on those if I’m remembering correctly

Thanks, that seems to confirm what I suspected also. Now I need to decide if I should upgrade my iPad or tr to build a custom mount instead

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I use an 8th gen iPad as my main media consumption in the evenings. Is it worth upgrading to an Air or Pro?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Kirios posted:

I use an 8th gen iPad as my main media consumption in the evenings. Is it worth upgrading to an Air or Pro?

Having used all three, I can say that you can pry a Pro from my cold dead hands but my wife is totally fine with a newer air. Try them out and get what you like.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Kirios posted:

Do you listen through the iPad speakers?
If so you might consider upgrading as they will be significantly better.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Kirios posted:

I just replaced my 8th gen with an Air and I think the responsiveness is way better making for a better experience in most apps. The Pro has the same SoC but a better 120Hz display, though I don't know if that's a big enough difference to get one currently.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Kirios posted:

YMM of course, V but as a long time Pro buyer if you're looking for anything other than the 12.9 inch screen you're probably better off with the Air. The screen refresh is nice, and the speakers are good but they're not "Pay twice as much" good. For content consumption the 4th gen Air is available via Apple refurbished and it's not like Apple is ever going to allow ipadOS to do enough to warrant the difference between an A14 and an M1.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The wife’s Pixel C finally died. Picked her up an 11” pro with a pencil and a speck folio. She’s quite pleased. Sidecar is her favorite feature so far.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

sleepwalkers posted:

man I wish the surface book was any good!!

Windows is Windows but Surface Book hardware is pretty good.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The lack of a laminated screen means I can never go back to old iPad. It just feels off to me, but ymmw.

I dunno if the recent Airs are laminated or not, as I’m still using the 2018 Pro.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
P sure my Air 4 is laminated. It is a good display and my only complaint is the lack of 120hz as my 13 Pro has absolutely spoiled me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I used to love sidecar but I think an update broke it? Mine crashes constantly now :sad:

It was my favorite Mac OS/iOS party trick too

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Is there any way to return a brand new iPad to Apple that was won as a prize? I would rather have the cash but don’t have a receipt or anything.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think anywhere will take an iPad return won't a receipt. Sell it on Swappa or EBay or something.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

No. Best Buy might give you store credit for it but highly doubt it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You can say it was a gift from your forgetful parent/grandparent and they might give you credit. I’ve done that before

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Best Buy tracks serial numbers on Apple purchases.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You could give the iPad to me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Best Buy tracks serial numbers on Apple purchases.

Pretty much everywhere does.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

McGurk posted:

Is there any way to return a brand new iPad to Apple that was won as a prize? I would rather have the cash but don’t have a receipt or anything.

No offense , but this is a dumb question. No retailer is going to give you a refund on a product you didn’t buy from them.

As mentioned above, just sell on swappa and call it a day.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I definitely returned an iPod I bought at Best Buy to Walmart and upgraded to a ipod video but that required a worker that didn’t give a drat. I’m sure you could do it somewhere but it’d be easier to just sell it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
WWDC today announced proper external monitor support on iPads for everyone who had that as their bugaboo.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Is it only one monitor? I saw that but it appears to be a single display only thing.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
M1 (and even M2) can only drive a single external display.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm strongly considering selling my MBP and just being iPad only for couch use once iPadOS 16 drops. I'll probably get the public beta and see how it is.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I'm strongly considering selling my MBP and just being iPad only for couch use once iPadOS 16 drops. I'll probably get the public beta and see how it is.

I updated my stuff, iPad Pro and I switched from a Mac Air to a Mac Mini. I never thought I would go back to a desktop, but with now having a “home office” I have my desktop for while I’m working, plus for the occasional stuff that requires a desktop versus an iPad. And my iPad is mostly couch use, etc.

Honestly , works well overall for me. Mac Mini was pretty cheap , I got it for $600 and sold my Mac Air 2013 for $200ish, so not that bad a price. At this point obviously anyone looking as a Mini, maybe wait for a M2 Mini, assuming they update it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Maybe it’s time to retire my trusty big 2018 Pro and upgrade when they shove an M2 in one. Seems like IPadOS is taking leaps forward

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I updated my stuff, iPad Pro and I switched from a Mac Air to a Mac Mini. I never thought I would go back to a desktop, but with now having a “home office” I have my desktop for while I’m working, plus for the occasional stuff that requires a desktop versus an iPad. And my iPad is mostly couch use, etc.

Honestly , works well overall for me. Mac Mini was pretty cheap , I got it for $600 and sold my Mac Air 2013 for $200ish, so not that bad a price. At this point obviously anyone looking as a Mini, maybe wait for a M2 Mini, assuming they update it.

Yeah, I have a somewhat outdated Windows gaming desktop for my office. The MBP was almost entirely for couch use and it's definitely overkill. I don't think I've connected it to a monitor more than a few times in the two years I've had it. I *want* an MBA, but at this point it's just redundant devices.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Has anyone tried going from a 12.9 to an 11? I’ve been living the big life for six years but wonder if I’d like something smaller now that I have the 14” MBP and it’s excellent

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Honestly? Me too, the desire to use my laptop has been decreasing more and more over the years and I'm starting to think a proper Pro version iPad would largely replace it, especially with proper display and multi tasking support.

hatty posted:

Has anyone tried going from a 12.9 to an 11? I’ve been living the big life for six years but wonder if I’d like something smaller now that I have the 14” MBP and it’s excellent

I personally largely prefer the 11 inch iPad Pro / Air size. I find it much more easier to use in a relax couch environment (And I have larger than average hand sizes). If you're willing to lose XDR and a lower resolution (but same ppi) then I think it's a no-brainer.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 7, 2022

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
I loving love my 2018 11” iPad Pro still. I love it so much I miss it when I’m at the office, where we’ve been supplied some crappy regular iPads. I might need to buy a new M2 iPad Pro for home use, just so I can bring my old Pro to work permanently.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hatty posted:

I went from having the 10.5" to the 12.9. I honestly mostly got the 12.9 over the 11 because it has the mini LED.

I’ve gotten used to the size, but if I could, I would probably re do and do the 11". The 12.9 is just slightly bulky once you put a case on it.

With that topic actually, I will say the case I got def feels bigger than what could be out there. Any recommendations for the thinnest 12.9 case out there (non keyboard).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Replaced my 1st Generation iPad Pro 12.9" today, with a 5th Generation iPad Air (blue) and 2nd Gen Apple Pencil. :toot: So much nicer. Just no longer having that home button is a big improvement alone, but it's much faster too, and I got the 256GB model, where the previous iPad Pro I had was a very tiny 32GB. The smaller screen size is the only downgrade.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Did I see correctly that only M1/M2 iPads will get the new windowing features?

If so that’s horseshit

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Guess they’re finally making use of that 8GB of RAM in the M1s. Sold my big 2018 pro yesterday and picked up an 11” M1 just to try it out and it’s nice having a smaller iPad, feels very flexible. I have a 45 day return window so plenty of time for a full test drive

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

These 14" ipad rumors really just seem like a way to restart the "when will there be a touch screen mac" stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maneki Neko posted:

These 14" ipad rumors really just seem like a way to restart the "when will there be a touch screen mac" stuff

Or for me, why does the Air still exist. :v: