Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

mortons stork posted:

The data looks encouraging!

Yeah! NOAA has published their CO2-equivalent ppm number for 2021 and it stands at 508 ppm, a healthy 4 ppm increase over 2020.
With a little bit of hope, I'd say that our chances of reaching 600 before 2050 are decent. Such excitement.

https://gml.noaa.gov/aggi/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

T-Paine posted:

This is like the people arguing against anti-natalism by saying that conceptual future kids won't pollute as much because they'll be living in a low-tech hell, so go ahead and keep on fuckin'

Just the most casually soupbrained poo poo all over the mainstream

If you'll look at my equation, you'll see that I've put a Future Coefficient next to future babies, meaning that they're worth less in terms of pollution. The coefficient is arbitrary, and some future better economist will have to do the work to quantify it, but look at the low number the equation generates!

Would you be shocked to learn my dad has an economics degree and was always using fraught capitalist logic to justify some horrible thing he was doing?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Karach posted:

I remember as a kid pointing out that our environment was hosed due to our unceasing growth. In reply, my dad handed me a copy of Bjorn Lomberg's The Skeptical Environmentalist and told me that they used to say that London would be knee deep in horse poo poo if the rate of carriage growth stayed constant. Now, they've replaced horse poo poo with bollards, so the lesson is that the natural innovativeness of capitalism will magically solve our problems, if only we have the will to believe.

Hmm yeah a scientific projection was not accurate after some extreme changes occurred.

Don't change anything about our society to prevent these other scientific projections about climate though!

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Karach posted:

If you'll look at my equation, you'll see that I've put a Future Coefficient next to future babies, meaning that they're worth less in terms of pollution. The coefficient is arbitrary, and some future better economist will have to do the work to quantify it, but look at the low number the equation generates!

Would you be shocked to learn my dad has an economics degree and was always using fraught capitalist logic to justify some horrible thing he was doing?

Economists look at society like this guy looked at mice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgGLFozNM2o

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

We've got ten weeks, what a surprise
Ten weeks, stuck on my eyes
We've got ten weeks, my brain hurts a lot
Ten weeks, that's all we've got

of wheat. it’s not that bad, yet.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Homocow posted:

climate "doomers" don't think the world is ending, they think the world as we know it is ending

the "as we know it" part is really important and people pay no attention to it

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Can't BELIEVE these climate doomers think that some pollution on earth is going to lead to the heat death of the universe!! It's not that bad yet you virgin shutins!!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Xaris posted:

continuing on wheat discussion:

of course wheat isn't the only food option, but it's one of the cheapest and caloric dense that's accessible. not going to be good if our global inventory is only about 10-weeks.

you left out the source and the image

https://www.world-grain.com/articles/16941-food-supply-expert-paints-grim-global-picture

honestly this is some of the worst news I’ve ever received in my life lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
everything is doomed
and nothing will be spared
but I love you, honeybear

but everything is fine
don't give in to despair
cuz I love you, honeybear

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

everything is doomed
and nothing will be spared
but I love you, honeybear

but everything is fine
don't give in to despair
cuz I love you, honeybear

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

T-Paine posted:

Like holy poo poo, this is worthless. They move the goalposts all the way to human extinction, which virtually no "doomer" thinks is what's actually going to happen.

I beg your pardon?!?!

DOOOOOOOM

Humans will be gone entirely this century

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Car Hater posted:

I beg your pardon?!?!

DOOOOOOOM

Humans will be gone entirely this century

I mean it would be nice if it did, but remember we're pessimists

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1529089081459736576?s=20&t=HTxtXYWtAWziiW5ljogVWA

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

no one could have anticipated this. nobody at all.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

brakeless posted:

Yeah! NOAA has published their CO2-equivalent ppm number for 2021 and it stands at 508 ppm, a healthy 4 ppm increase over 2020.
With a little bit of hope, I'd say that our chances of reaching 600 before 2050 are decent. Such excitement.

https://gml.noaa.gov/aggi/

Christ lol

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

no one could have anticipated this. nobody at all.

Big banks did https://bylinetimes.com/2022/05/17/global-banks-privately-prepare-for-dangerous-levels-of-imminent-civil-unrest-in-western-homelands/

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I’m so glad I got to try challah this year 🙏

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hrm. OK, guys. I got it. Watch. Watch this.

Xaris posted:

continuing on wheat discussion:

of course wheat isn't the only food option, but it's one of the cheapest and caloric dense that's accessible. not going to be good if our global inventory is only about 10-weeks.

The wheat shortage is Malthusian, and I thus dismiss it as irrelevant and abhorrent.

Problem solved.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

"Byline Times is run by a small, dedicated team of journalists providing a platform for freelance reporters and writers to produce fearless investigative journalism not found in the mainstream media"

lmfao

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
There's been an explosion in gluten free products recently, I doubt this wheat shortage will be a big deal

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

"Byline Times is run by a small, dedicated team of journalists providing a platform for freelance reporters and writers to produce fearless investigative journalism not found in the mainstream media"

lmfao

don’t have a cow, it’s legit

quote:

The paper has also had contributions from other notable people, such as actor and comedian John Cleese.[7]

quote:

More recently Jukes became an active Barack Obama supporter during the 2008 Democratic Party presidential primaries in the US, writing for Daily Kos and then MyDD when it became a pro-Hillary Clinton site. Later he recorded his online experiences of the Primary 'Flame Wars' for Prospect.[45] Following the primaries, he was one of 25 regular bloggers who began writing for a new political blog, The Motley Moose.[46][47]

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

IAMKOREA posted:

There's been an explosion in gluten free products recently, I doubt this wheat shortage will be a big deal

i'm not sure if it matters in this case but a lot of products advertising themselves as gluten free aren't actually gluten free, or at least not gluten free enough for someone with celiac disease

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

blatman posted:

i'm not sure if it matters in this case but a lot of products advertising themselves as gluten free aren't actually gluten free, or at least not gluten free enough for someone with celiac disease

well that's just because the non wheat ingredients are already running out but it's ok cause most people eat whe-OH. Oh poo poo.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

These things got into my garden last year (probably through either bagged soil or a nursery transplant since we always use a handful each year) and getting rid of them is hell. They're not really a big deal in heavily mulched and amended raised beds, but it's crazy how much damage they can do to the soil structure in no time at all.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
At least the mainstream media hasn't transitioned from demanding that we (1) prove our track records or (2) have delusional hope in our future biosphere to (3) hinting that we should just kill ourselves ... yet.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Hrm. OK, guys. I got it. Watch. Watch this.

The wheat shortage is Malthusian, and I thus dismiss it as irrelevant and abhorrent.

Problem solved.

:hmmyes:

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Homocow posted:

From "The Denial of Death"

quote:

Becker exposes the consequences of clinging to social constructs. When we adhere to an ideology, such as a political or religious group, it is easy to feel invulnerable and immortal. Belonging to a group makes us feel powerful; this power makes us feel entitled to harm others who don’t believe as we do. Becker explains that culture, religion, and politics cause wars and terrible harm, because we are determined to uphold artificial social constructs that make us feel infallible.

i don't care who this guy is, if this paragraph is accurate to his writing then he has no idea what he's talking about

putting this book on my poo poo list

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
War is just a social construct. There, done with that.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Civilization Collapse is definitely going to be extremely ablist

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Ronwayne posted:

Yeah, the scouts in america is basically an arm of the Mormon church. I'm mostly focusing on the diagrams of how to build a shelter by digging a trench in the ground and covering it over and water filter stuff and such.

Ate a pizza out of a dumpster (it was still in the box and still warm, it was fine, i hope) when things got really bad and it was a moment of awakening, I now understood on a personal level why red terrors happened.

Mormons quit scouting a few years ago when they let in gay scoutmasters, they're better now than they've been in decades

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Harold Fjord posted:

Civilization Collapse is definitely going to be extremely ablist

There's a great part in The Ends of the World where Brannen writes something like "hey, the human race isn't going to go extinct and some kind of civilization will still exist, but it's going to suck especially bad for anyone like me, who needs glasses to see"

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

help us, Mr Xi, you’re our only hope

https://www.hellenicshippingnews.com/china-expects-bumper-harvest-of-summer-grain-ensuring-food-security-amid-global-risks/amp/

quote:

China expects bumper harvest of summer grain, ensuring food security amid global risks
18 hours ago
Hellenic Shipping News Worldwide

China is expected to achieve a bumper harvest of summer grain despite the impact of COVID-19 outbreaks in some areas, underscoring the country’s capacity to ensure grain security amid tight global supplies mainly due to record hot weather and the Russia-Ukraine conflict.

Around 80 percent of the grain in Southwest China has been harvested, while harvesting of the grain in the middle and lower reaches of the Yangtze River has started, according to the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs (MOA).

Grain in the Huang-Huai-Hai region, which represents about three-quarters of the country’s summer grain output, is about to mature.
“The summer wheat will be harvested in about half a month. Although there are some COVID-19 cases, that has had little impact on spring farming. The output this year is expected to be the same level as last year,” a farm owner surnamed Yao in North China’s Hebei Province, who has around 70 mu (4.7 hectares) of land for growing wheat, told the Global Times on Sunday.

Thanks to effective policy support, the wheat crop has been better than expected, so a bumper harvest of summer grain will be achieved despite delayed planting of winter wheat in multiple places, said Zhu Enlin, deputy head of the Department of Crop Production of the MOA, according to a CCTV report.

The authorities have raised the national minimum purchase price of wheat to 115 yuan ($17.18) per 50 kilograms, up 2 yuan year-on-year, according to data from the National Food and Strategic Reserves Administration.

The slight price hike is based on farming cost increases and soaring international prices, while also reflecting the authorities’ goal of maintaining the orderly and healthy operation of the grain market, Li Guoxiang, a research fellow at the Rural Development Institute under the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, told the Global Times on Sunday.

Due to higher costs for fertilizers, machinery and labor, the market purchase price of wheat has increased to around 2.8 yuan per kilogram, Yao said, and in some areas it has even soared to 3.2 yuan per kilogram.

Considering the trend of agricultural material prices and the situation of agricultural production, the central government will grant subsidies worth 10 billion yuan to farmers engaged in grain cultivation in order to support summer harvests and autumn plowing, and further spark their motivation for farming, the Ministry of Finance said on Sunday.

Due to higher costs for fertilizers, machinery and labor, the market purchase price of wheat has increased to around 2.8 yuan per kilogram, Yao said, and in some areas it has even soared to 3.2 yuan per kilogram.

Considering the trend of agricultural material prices and the situation of agricultural production, the central government will grant subsidies worth 10 billion yuan to farmers engaged in grain cultivation in order to support summer harvests and autumn plowing, and further spark their motivation for farming, the Ministry of Finance said on Sunday.

The central government has allocated an unprecedented amount of more than 6 billion yuan to summer grain production this year, and 800 million yuan of special funding to support the green production of grain.

China’s summer wheat harvest comes amid a global supply crunch due to the joint effects of the prolonged global pandemic, the Russia-Ukraine conflict, and extreme hot weather in some countries, including India and France.

UK newspaper the Telegraph reported on Friday that there are only 10 weeks of global wheat supply left in stockpiles, citing agricultural data firm Gro Intelligence.

Following India’s recent ban on wheat exports, Afghanistan was reported on Thursday to have suspended wheat exports and trade to avoid food shortage.

“With wheat output at around 130 million tons each year, China’s wheat has achieved full self-sufficiency, allowing for a small percentage of wheat imports mainly for variety adjustment,” Li said.

Given the tight grain supply around the world, China will likely cut imports this year, he said.

According to data from the General Administration of Customs, China’s imports of wheat dropped 22.4 percent year-on-year in April to 700,000 tons.

Sun Heng, a wheat analyst at the National Grain and Oil Information Center, told the Global Times in a recent interview that the country’s wheat inventory is at a record high level, which can meet domestic demand for more than a year.
Source: Global Times

China owns I wish I was there

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Mayor Dave posted:

Mormons quit scouting a few years ago when they let in gay scoutmasters, they're better now than they've been in decades

Just need to brainstorm about all of the child fuckers.

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

Samuel Glompers posted:

Is it western food shortage time? Like a noticable one, something more than the nebulous ~supply chain disruptions~ and inflation?
I finally understand what Ron Paul and Libertarians meant when they said

End the Fed

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

you should try to go

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

The Vinja Ninja posted:

I finally understand what Ron Paul and Libertarians meant when they said

End the Fed
lol
monkey paw curls

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

China does own and im thinking about buying Mr. Xi’s books

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

you should try to go

there are a lot of Turkic people there. I’d be right at home in Xinjiang province.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Ronwayne posted:

Gonna guess having a mental breakdown and falling out of the workforce in your late 30s is prime "read your old scouting manual to figure out hobo living" time, right? Because that's where I am.
No drugs, no 'gently caress around', just bam, 20 years of untreated adult mental illness destroying my life.

indeed, and i hope you get through it

(i know from experience but since i'm a computer toucher i have a lot more runway than most even if i don't make faang stacks, but sold my house over what turned out to be an untreated general anxiety disorder though and now i can never buy back in)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

mdemone posted:

there is no precedent for this.

what you call the collapse of Rome took place over the better part of a millennium, and was a political, cultural, and geographical event very much of its time and place.

what you are experiencing now will be much faster.

250 years lmao