Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Lol, yeah BLM definitely is buffed.

I’ve only done casual matches because Ranked is a ghost town right now for some reason, but BLM’s are now pushing top of the damage charts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
For eureka we have a group in TPT that is going through it. We started last week with a bunch of level ones and a handful of higher levels. Last night a bunch of those former level ones hit level 25. Ask about Krile Krew for more.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

also, if you're on primal, the two BA-centric discords (primal forays: https://discord.gg/ZPpCXJ7n and help lines: https://discord.gg/ZPpCXJ7n) are worth joining. Even if you're not at the BA part yet, primal forays has a channel for calling out big NMs. joining cassie prep is great if you need light for frosted crystals, and at the hydatos stage, you can make sure you're around during a BA run to get those 30 hydatos crystals from the BA support fate.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

iPodschun posted:

It took me about two weeks of making Eureka my main thing to do in game to finish the last zone. If you're skipping doing a weapon in favor of getting the armor that will save a bit of time on grinding, though you will have to unlock all of the Logos actions. That will take some research for how to unlock all of the actions and some money to buy all of the logograms.

Iirc you do have to finish a relic weapon at least up through pagos to be able to buy the elemental armor at all, unless that's changed.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

iPodschun posted:

It took me about two weeks of making Eureka my main thing to do in game to finish the last zone. If you're skipping doing a weapon in favor of getting the armor that will save a bit of time on grinding, though you will have to unlock all of the Logos actions. That will take some research for how to unlock all of the actions and some money to buy all of the logograms.

also on logograms research, this was my bible: https://ffxiv-eureka.com/logograms

i just bought the amount of logograms of each that they recommend and did them all at once. at the time it was around 3m for all the logograms i think? but i recouped that money pretty quick from selling stuff from eureka.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'm surprised at the lack of reaper tweaks. I don't think the job needs that much, but it definitely feels lacking compared to other melee jobs. It's not sticky compared to the classes with multiple gapcloser charges so finishing kills is tough, and it doesn't generate much AoE so pressuring the enemy team to generate opportunities isn't really a thing either. Yet if you're going to just tank then I still think the actual tanks are better at it. Hell, MNK and NIN are probably better at absorbing damage and living to tell about it.

If the devs are looking at pure overall winrate, rather than winrate by rank, I suspect reaper looks better than it actually is. The difference between queuing for casual as reaper and queuing for crystal as reaper is stark. You can go on a ridiculous snowballing tear if enemy teams are bad at focus fire, but if the other team is heads-up then good luck lmao. LB becomes a way to cancel guard, draw aggro, and maybe duel (though I hesitate to even list the latter, because your pursuit tools suck so badly). Every success I've had is based on cancelling opposing guards so the rest of my team - the ones playing sticky classes with on-demand burst - can finish kills.

e: Oh, and your peel is nonexistent so you can't even adjust your tactical role based on composition or situation.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 24, 2022

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Zack Ater posted:

Iirc you do have to finish a relic weapon at least up through pagos to be able to buy the elemental armor at all, unless that's changed.
I'm not completely sure. When I did Eureka on my Aether alt (:shepface:) I went up to a Pyros weapon because those are cool as hell then skipped a Hydatos weapon altogether and funneled my crystals into Elemental Armor, which cut out a good bit of grinding at least.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

hydatos drk weapon is sick as fuuuuuck

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

This will make Frontline an even bigger shitshow, not that anyone at S-E cares about anything other than CC

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I do FL every day and don't give one flying gently caress how this impacts it. It's too big and chaotic for it to actually matter.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Wonder if Black Mage is gonna be as dumb as Summoner in Frontline now after these changes. That said, I still feel like White Mage is the real problem child

Corbeau posted:

I'm surprised at the lack of reaper tweaks. I don't think the job needs that much, but it definitely feels lacking compared to other melee jobs. It's not sticky compared to the classes with multiple gapcloser charges so finishing kills is tough, and it doesn't generate much AoE so pressuring the enemy team to generate opportunities isn't really a thing either. Yet if you're going to just tank then I still think the actual tanks are better at it. Hell, MNK and NIN are probably better at absorbing damage and living to tell about it.

If the devs are looking at pure overall winrate, rather than winrate by rank, I suspect reaper looks better than it actually is. The difference between queuing for casual as reaper and queuing for crystal as reaper is stark. You can go on a ridiculous snowballing tear if enemy teams are bad at focus fire, but if the other team is heads-up then good luck lmao. LB becomes a way to cancel guard, draw aggro, and maybe duel (though I hesitate to even list the latter, because your pursuit tools suck so badly). Every success I've had is based on cancelling opposing guards so the rest of my team - the ones playing sticky classes with on-demand burst - can finish kills.

e: Oh, and your peel is nonexistent so you can't even adjust your tactical role based on composition or situation.

Reaper gets tons and tons of sustain from Arcane Circle and Harvest Moon - way more than Monk, maybe less than Ninja, but Ninja has to sacrifice damage or CC to use Meisui or Huton. You just have a really tight burst (You need to dump Grim Swathe, Gibbet, Gallows, Soul Slice, Harvest Moon, and Plentiful Harvest into Death Warrant) which is unrealistic for a class whose gap closer can only move it a fixed distance rather than repeatedly and directly to the target (Monk, Samurai) or wherever it pleases (Ninja).

I think the big problems with Reaper are Death Warrant and Plentiful Harvest. It's unreasonable to expect "Wildfire but you have to be in melee range of a single player the whole time" to do much, given how mobile almost every class is in CC, and especially when considering the volcano map, where there's tons and tons of corners to LoS and kite around. I've hit some pretty nasty Death Warrants, but they've basically all been on oblivious players in casual. Plentiful Harvest on the other hand ties up a lot of Reaper's AoE potential into a skill that has a longer cooldown than your limit break because the upper limit of its damage is so high and it makes your limit break charge faster.

Imo, they should replace the Death Warrant button with Harvest Moon. To compensate for the lost damage, cut the cooldown of Soul Slice charges by ~5s, and increase the potency of the melee combo, Gibbet, and Gallows slightly. Then with Plentiful Harvest, remove the Limit Break-boosting effect entirely, increase the lower end of the damage and lower the upper end of the damage, and then reduce the cooldown to like 20 seconds instead of loving 60. Maybe add another way to get Immortal Sacrifice charges if it's still not good enough. If Reaper still feels lousy after that they could consider doing something like changing the Heavy on Grim Swathe to a Bind or maybe adding a CC effect to one of Reaper's other skills.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 24, 2022

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

What makes summoner problematic in frontlines is the ult being an extremely large AOE whose usage is easy to coordinate with other people on your team. Even with the buffs I don't think blm really competes in that niche at all

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I assumed that Frontline would have gone into 'Coming Soon' mode like Rival Wings if it weren't for the roulette for it existing.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

SettingSun posted:

I assumed that Frontline would have gone into 'Coming Soon' mode like Rival Wings if it weren't for the roulette for it existing.

My lukewarm take, there should be a "Crystal Conflict" Roulette and a "Rival Wings" Roulette, and frontlines should go the way of the Feast.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Machinist already seems pretty good to me in pvp and is my best class, so I welcome some of this news.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, I keep being told that tank mitigation and self-healing outstrips damage in expert dungeons. And yet somehow every time I heal an expert dungeon, I run dry of cooldowns every single pull.

AST has it harder than the others, too, thanks to the fact it has that element of planning and prediction around Earthly Star and Macrocosmos. Which you'd think wouldn't be a problem, but oh god these loving tanks

As GNB the first double pull in dead ends is absolutely brutal no matter what mit I seem to use, and I don't know if it's just because that dungeon downsyncs you to 570 or what.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Madmarker posted:

My lukewarm take, there should be a "Crystal Conflict" Roulette and a "Rival Wings" Roulette, and frontlines should go the way of the Feast.

Tie the seal rock set to CC wins :sickos:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Madmarker posted:

I agree, except keep the Frontlines roulette. It's a chaotic mess, but it's a fun chaotic mess for a decent amount of people.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

So long as the frontlines roulette is 24v24v24 it kind of has to be the only PvP roulette available because otherwise getting people for it would be probably somewhat slower. Consider how long it can take to fill out Alliance raids sometimes and that’s 1/3rd of the needed players.

But I feel like that should maybe be encouragement to move away from 24v24v24.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

More than the roulette prizes, what I like about frontlines is that you can actually play with your friends in this MMO game. I feel like that would be a big loss in an all CC world

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

really we just need some kind of upfront queue for rival wings like they gave frontlines when they introduced daily challenge. it's tucked so far back that most people would just ignore it, and even if you have to go back there now to queue for CC no one's gonna jump into a 48 person queue over a 10 man

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

the rival wings maps should just go into the rotation with the frontlines maps and also they should remove borderland ruins

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Huh, I got both the "win a total of 1 million MGP" achievements from the regular and from the mini cactpot this week.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
FL is good for when I want to pvp but also don't want to feel super responsible for playing like a pro gamer. Also learning button flow/class rhythm.

"Just use the casual CC queue" hahaha what's it like to be normal, you bastard.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Casual and ranked cc have no differences to me, exact same experience. FL is the place to turn off brain

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I play on an older laptop, so I just try to keep my head down and hope that I don’t run into a melee ball where I can’t even load in half of the people that are killing me in Frontlines

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Chillgamesh posted:

Imo, they should replace the Death Warrant button with Harvest Moon...

I'd be down. Death Warrant really just does not work with the way the game is constructed.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Lord_Magmar posted:

So long as the frontlines roulette is 24v24v24 it kind of has to be the only PvP roulette available because otherwise getting people for it would be probably somewhat slower. Consider how long it can take to fill out Alliance raids sometimes and that’s 1/3rd of the needed players.

But I feel like that should maybe be encouragement to move away from 24v24v24.

Not everyone enjoys small team combat. I hate it with the fury of a thousand suns and am glad they still offer a broken stupid large scale place for me to go die a lot in.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Tekopo posted:

There's probably tanks in EXDR that still don't use Arm's Length for mit, even though it's one of the better dungeon mits.

There are tanks in EXDR who don't use any abilities for mit at all, and they aren't even that uncommon.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
find the role that is the most annoying to you to see done badly, then queue as that

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Mister Olympus posted:

find the role that is the most annoying to you to see done badly, then queue as that to inflict the same pain on others

ftfy

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So with the changes today, what is the tier ranking for CC looking like? Have dancers been able to get out of the gutter?

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Just play what feels good, hth

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Zil posted:

So with the changes today, what is the tier ranking for CC looking like? Have dancers been able to get out of the gutter?

Pretty sure it's BLM -> the same prior tiers.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Zil posted:

Dancer is a weird one, turns out in the (very small) competitive pvp scene dancer is currently a top tier pick, possible THE top tier pick

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mainwaring posted:

Dancer is a weird one, turns out in the (very small) competitive pvp scene dancer is currently a top tier pick, possible THE top tier pick

So all the YouTubers that put dancer as dead last are just bad at the game then? Or is it you need extreme coordination for the job to work well?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

hazardousmouse posted:

Just play what feels good, hth

winning feels good

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Zil posted:

So all the YouTubers that put dancer as dead last are just bad at the game then? Or is it you need extreme coordination for the job to work well?

Extreme coordination. It all resolves around mass cc'ing the enemy with dancer lb and then dropping a bunch of other aoe and lbs on them to wipe them out.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Zil posted:

YouTubers solo queue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Mainwaring posted:

Extreme coordination. It all resolves around mass cc'ing the enemy with dancer lb and then dropping a bunch of other aoe and lbs on them to wipe them out.

Are the tippy-top players just mutually agreeing this is the strat and holding all their burst for Contradance when they see they have a Dancer on their team? In my experience even at Crystal I don't see a whole lot of coordination, but I didn't play much ranked after I hit it.