Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

There's also this page, that runs the contents of the original core box in browser.
https://playarkham.azurewebsites.net/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

CitizenKeen posted:

I was thinking of seeing if Arkham Horror was for me. I still have the Super Complete TTS mod from before it was taken down. How far is that going to get me, and is there anything I need to be concerned about?

It is pretty rules dense your first couple of playthroughs. I'd play with someone who knows what they are doing while first learning the game.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Anybody play AH solo with 3+ hands? I tend to play Marvel solo with 3+ hands.

KPC_Mammon posted:

It is pretty rules dense your first couple of playthroughs. I'd play with someone who knows what they are doing while first learning the game.

Noted. I've played some LotR, and a boatload of Marvel, and I'm generally the rules lawyer for my group for some pretty crunchy board games. I mostly was curious if there was anything I needed to be concerned about with the mod, not with the rules. I read the rulebook a few times and it felt pretty manageable.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 16, 2022

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Just played The Gathering with the Roland and Wendy decks linked above. I was playing on Easy, and it was reasonably easy but fun.

I got some luck - I kept getting Obscuring Fogs in rooms I had cleared of Clue tokens but not yet vacated. Wendy just trounced around collecting Clues. Roland got the Machete, but I forgot about the conditional extra damage until the boss.

I thought I had been getting some rules wrong because it was so easy at first, but when the boss dropped, my blood pressure jumped a little. "10 health, how in the hell..." But then I had Wendy spend a turn to duck into the parlor, grab Lita, and duck back, and that was when I remembered the extra damage on Roland, so Roland thwacking away for 3 damage a strike at 2 over the target made short work of the boss.

Good fun. I can see why people like it. Looking forward to more.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Kalko posted:

I cannot dispute this new evidence, but I also can't see Carson as anything but the set's Guardian, so I will have to amend my original comments on the new investigator to say that they also have Roguish good looks!

Maybe the new set will have two guardians and no rogue.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Maybe, but if that were the case they'd probably make Charlie Kane the Rogue. I was also thinking he might be a Rogue anyway and they just put two into the set the same way they threw Marie Lambeau into TCU, but in that case she had already been released in one of the books so it was probably done just to give her a wide release.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 17, 2022

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

CitizenKeen posted:

Just played The Gathering with the Roland and Wendy decks linked above. I was playing on Easy, and it was reasonably easy but fun.

I got some luck - I kept getting Obscuring Fogs in rooms I had cleared of Clue tokens but not yet vacated. Wendy just trounced around collecting Clues. Roland got the Machete, but I forgot about the conditional extra damage until the boss.

I thought I had been getting some rules wrong because it was so easy at first, but when the boss dropped, my blood pressure jumped a little. "10 health, how in the hell..." But then I had Wendy spend a turn to duck into the parlor, grab Lita, and duck back, and that was when I remembered the extra damage on Roland, so Roland thwacking away for 3 damage a strike at 2 over the target made short work of the boss.

Good fun. I can see why people like it. Looking forward to more.

The Gathering is definitely a tutorial mission so is designed to be very easy.

Without spoiling too much, the next mission is by far the best in the core set and teaches you that you won't necessarily be able to achieve every objective, sometimes you have to cut your losses.

The last mission is not good and teaches you that you will die. It can be hard for experienced players with the full card pool to get the best ending. Don't let it put you off, the full campaigns are significantly better.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The last scenario is very good for people who brought the spyglass.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Out of the Void investigator pack is in stock at Gamezenter again.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
We've got the first preview for a Scarlet Keys investigator thanks to the designers appearing on the Mythos Busters show:

https://www.reddit.com/r/arkhamhorrorlcg/comments/uv2g04/maxine_and_duke_joined_us_for_a_show_and/

As someone who loves Charisma and playing too many assets, they've got my number.

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
Am I right in thinking he can have 10 allies max in play. As long as 4 of them are sled dogs? Good Lord that's a lot of soak.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Douche Phoenix posted:

Am I right in thinking he can have 10 allies max in play. As long as 4 of them are sled dogs? Good Lord that's a lot of soak.

Getting 16 sled dogs in play is very achievable. More non-Sled Dog allies beyond that are possible but trickier.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Would love to see the math you two are working with. Also you can only have 4 sled dogs in a deck.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

sirtommygunn posted:

Would love to see the math you two are working with. Also you can only have 4 sled dogs in a deck.

It's a four player game, each player can bring their own four dogs to contribute to the effort. Four base ally slots, plus two from Rod of Animalism, plus two from copies of Charisma; two dogs per slot.

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
My math: 4 slots to begin with + 2 charisma + 2(4dogs) from rod of animalism = 10 allies
Can have 12 technically if he chance encounters Leo's ally

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Ok thanks. Could you use his ability multiple times for a single test?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

There's no limit set on the character card.
So, petting puppies every turn for mad skills it is.

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
Ah yes, the "Charlie the Dog Walker" strategy. Because who doesn't want to just do 16 damage at 17 strength

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

And then comes <Arrows from the Trees>...

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Someone on discord pointed out that his arch-nemesis would be the Stubborn Detective.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Watch Charlie break Blood on the Altar kidnappers completely.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Ripley posted:

Someone on discord pointed out that his arch-nemesis would be the Stubborn Detective.

True of most mayors.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Ripley posted:

Truly the anti-Lola.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Lol, clutches of chaos ended in under an hour for us.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I do like the narrative flavour of his deckbuilding rules where if you pick Rogue you have a politician who consorts with a bunch of shady characters (true to life) or if you pick Mystic you have one that hangs out with sorcerors and other purveyors of the dark arts (probably also true to life, tbh).

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
He gets ALL allies 0-5, it's only the chosen 2 classes that rub off on him in the form of grifts and magic.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Good point! For some reason I had it in my mind you'd only use allies of your chosen classes but that doesn't make much sense.

Someone in the MB Discord made a short list of current XP allies with good icons and abilities:

I'm sure there will be a bunch of new synergistic allies and other cards for him in the set, too.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I'm not sure if it's "true to life" or "biting commentary", but I like that the politician without allies is useless.

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
I like the image of him drawing Narcolepsy, just taking a nap in the middle of all his allies, and they just sit there staring at him while he sleeps.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Lmao the card art for Lodge Enforcer kicks rear end.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Being able to double use Chuck Fergus gives two free actions to turn. I’m assuming the box he comes in will have with better ways to get allies than just calling in favors.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Kalko posted:

I do like the narrative flavour of his deckbuilding rules where if you pick Rogue you have a politician who consorts with a bunch of shady characters (true to life) or if you pick Mystic you have one that hangs out with sorcerors and other purveyors of the dark arts (probably also true to life, tbh).

I can’t really see why you’d ever pick Mystic for him tbh.

Rogue to get the money to play all the allies and seeker to get card draw to draw them plus the money and then also some general good stuff seems most likely. Maybe survivor because you’d get access to almost their entire cardpool and can get some value out of failing with your initially low stats. But guardian and mystic seem very meh.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
yeah the no-thought impulse here for me is rogue / survivor. You need the money and some of the best allies in the game are rogue. Survivor makes your weak stats useful for the actions you have that aren't being boosted by an ally

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Mystic might be good for all the cancels, because you were not surviving the encounter phase with your stats. But more and more classes are getting those.

You get all the allies, so things like double readying a certain doom mage could be fun.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Guardian might be okay if not amazing for things like well prepared to double down on all the stat bonuses as well as the extra ally support guardian has from cards like inspiring leadership and trusted.

Does seem a bit thin on the ground to dedicate a whole class to it though.

e: ever vigilant would be pretty nice too, even if you can't run stick to the plan. Considering the number of assets he wants to run it's a lot of action compression and money saving.

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 24, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Golden Bee posted:

Mystic might be good for all the cancels, because you were not surviving the encounter phase with your stats. But more and more classes are getting those.

You get all the allies, so things like double readying a certain doom mage could be fun.

Allies are ablative armour.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I finally bit the bullet and did it-- over a hundred dollars of binders to go along with the other obscene amount of money I've spent blinging out this game: GameNerdz.com has Dex Protection's nice "Noir"/Black-band 12-page binders in all of the 5 investigator colors. (You'd probably be fine with the 9-page version but I said gently caress it and future proofed it. Plus the 12-pages fit perfectly into my IKEA Kallex board game shelf.)

At least now I won't dread building out new decks and such.

Note: my binder is organized Asset, Event, Skill, Investigator-- then all sorted by release. It helps to export ArkhamDB.com and keep them in a spreadsheet to make sure nothing is lost because holy gently caress is it frustrating to be like "where the hell did those 2 cards go for this spell I needed for this deck gently caress"

Neutral's have their own grey binder, and thanks to EOTE finally giving proper love to multi-class cards, I put them in there as well.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

jeeves posted:

I finally bit the bullet and did it-- over a hundred dollars of binders to go along with the other obscene amount of money I've spent blinging out this game: GameNerdz.com has Dex Protection's nice "Noir"/Black-band 12-page binders in all of the 5 investigator colors. (You'd probably be fine with the 9-page version but I said gently caress it and future proofed it. Plus the 12-pages fit perfectly into my IKEA Kallex board game shelf.)

At least now I won't dread building out new decks and such.

Note: my binder is organized Asset, Event, Skill, Investigator-- then all sorted by release. It helps to export ArkhamDB.com and keep them in a spreadsheet to make sure nothing is lost because holy gently caress is it frustrating to be like "where the hell did those 2 cards go for this spell I needed for this deck gently caress"

Neutral's have their own grey binder, and thanks to EOTE finally giving proper love to multi-class cards, I put them in there as well.

This is one of my motivations to find a new job. I have one binder now and it's a 9-pocket UltraPro just for investigators and their signature cards.

For anyone wondering, there are ~270 player cards for each class at the moment. EotE added 30ish for each, but multiclass was a theme so Scarlet Keys could have more per class.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I just went with cheap 3-ring binders and 50 Dragon Shield 18-pocket pages for $24. The pockets can easily fit two or three stacked cards (depending on sleeves). The ring binder makes it super easy to add pages, which is nice because I separated investigators / 0-cost / 1+ cost cards for each class.

I think I might be slightly over 50 pages for everything, but not by much and there's certainly some things that could be consolidated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I think Multiclass cards are here to stay, as they really help with keeping player cards counts down. The new format introduced in EOTE really help breathe new life into this game, especially with no longer needing to have scenarios be a certain length to fill out 60 card packs.

Also now that I’ve upgraded to these Dex Protection 12 binders, I have a metric fuckton of dragon shield binder pages that I don’t mind selling off for super cheap. PM me if interested.