Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Went riding with a newbie friend yesterday and it really highlighted how I need better mirrors. All I see in mine are my shoulders, unless I shift to the side.

Choices are kinda limited, it seems. Extension blocks for the stock or bar end mirrors?.
Both are kinda dorky looking, but I'll take that over being able to see behind me.
Any hot takes on what kind for sportsbike?
Just get extension blocks. They're fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

LimaBiker posted:

Alan Millyard's viper bike weighs 630kg (1380lbs).

He recently pulled it out of storage to give it a check and a run. Absolutely insane thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9KIxKP0Wlw

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Chris Knight posted:

Just get extension blocks. They're fine.

Cool, thanks

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The Millyard Viper is a scary and beautiful work of art.

Would you guys ride it were you offered a chance? I would want to, but would be too scared to.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I nearly dropped my dirt bike in the garage after only riding bicycles for a couple of months.
Consider riding lessons.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Steakandchips posted:

Would you guys ride it were you offered a chance?

Absolutely not. The "this seems like a lot of work" to fun ratio seems pretty high, and a motorcycle that weighs more than many pretty capable cars fitted with an engine that likely costs more than most of what I own seems like a bad combo.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Strife posted:

The "this seems like a lot of work" to fun ratio seems pretty high

This is why I hate scuba diving. It's half a day of twatting about for 45 minutes of "fun" where half the time you are watching your depth and clearing your mask and making OK signs.

My wife loves scuba diving and I have the PADI basic qualification (got it just to make her happy), but I'll be damned if I ever use it again.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Just put some foot pegs on a non explosive torpedo and combine your interests

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’d ride it to say I did it but I can nearly guarantee it’s not actually fun or good to ride. It’s too much of everything.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

This is why I hate scuba diving. It's half a day of twatting about for 45 minutes of "fun" where half the time you are watching your depth and clearing your mask and making OK signs.

My wife loves scuba diving and I have the PADI basic qualification (got it just to make her happy), but I'll be damned if I ever use it again.

I did a scuba course and learned that it's a whole lot more faffing about than I'm prepared to deal with for a bit of a splash about to look at some cool fish and corals, and I really just prefer snorkeling.
I think that's why I never really had an interest in getting a PPL. Some people love the charting and planning and logbook keeping and stuff, and more power to them. I think I'd rather jump off a cliff with a parachute and a fan strapped to my rear end. I really ought to try paragliding.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 24, 2022

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I've only done it tandem a couple of times but paragliding was pretty chill, I could see getting into it if I lived anywhere with the landscape to make it feasible and worthwhile

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Steakandchips posted:

The Millyard Viper is a scary and beautiful work of art.

Would you guys ride it were you offered a chance? I would want to, but would be too scared to.

100% but only on an airstrip back and forth with plenty of room to turn because gently caress dropping that big bastard trying to get round a village somewhere.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

took a pic of my bike after riding up to Santa Barbara yesterday. the factory panniers came in from Japan (last one in that color, maybe in the whole wide wooorldddd)

This is with my new Michelin rain tires, the GT road somethings. I'll take another pic afte getting the one-key lock figured out and putting them on

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I hope Honda never makes a V4 CBR in HRC colors.

Steakandchips posted:

Off topic, but this is what dive resorts are for. Roll out of bed, eat breakfast and then spend as much time in the reef as the little chart says your body can handle.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

This is with my new Michelin rain tires, the GT road somethings

Thread title

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

A MIRACLE posted:

took a pic of my bike after riding up to Santa Barbara yesterday. the factory panniers came in from Japan (last one in that color, maybe in the whole wide wooorldddd)

This is with my new Michelin rain tires, the GT road somethings. I'll take another pic afte getting the one-key lock figured out and putting them on

So it’s reliable, sounds great and can be found for reasonable prices… what’s the catch ? (You people are not allowed to say boring).

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I definitely wouldn’t say it’s boring. The vtec is really engaging and I like riding that 6500rpm+ line at low speeds just as much as accelerating through it. Not sure if I should look into mufflers I don’t think they’re allowed in California though

The new tires are wayyyy more confidence inspiring on the streets of LA than what came on it factory. I rode pch up to Santa Barbara before taking that pic and the heated handgrips were really nice in the cold. I haven’t done much self maintenance on this bike but the center stand seems to be better for filling up the tank than the side stand. The self canceling turn signals are pretty sweet

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

mulligan posted:

So it’s reliable, sounds great and can be found for reasonable prices… what’s the catch ? (You people are not allowed to say boring).

I thought prices on them were going up? I’d love a 6th gen for the sweet undertail exhaust but VTEC makes me think it would be a nightmare. A 5th gen is probably perfect.

A MIRACLE posted:

I definitely wouldn’t say it’s boring. The vtec is really engaging and I like riding that 6500rpm+ line at low speeds just as much as accelerating through it. Not sure if I should look into mufflers I don’t think they’re allowed in California though

I believe both full exhaust systems and just cans are banned in cali, most places won’t even ship to you. When I got my termi, I had to get it proxy shipped, and actually the shop I ordered it through even had to proxy ship it. But CA has no inspections or anything so really its just if a cop feels like giving you a hard time or not. Im sure they occasionally hang out on like angeles crest and will pull over just for noise like CHP does on the nice driving roads in the bay, but outside that it’s most likely just an addon for some other reason you got pulled over

TheBacon fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 27, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

LimaBiker posted:

Alan Millyard's viper bike weighs 630kg (1380lbs).

It has a 2 speed transmission apparently, and that's enough because of the laughably high amount of power.
It also has a ratcheting system to get it onto its centre stand and all kinds of bizarrely well thought through bits of engineering.

Millyard’s bikes are the moto equivalent of Mythbusters going to the most convoluted lengths possible to blow something up. Totally unnecessary, unrealistic, no good for anything except the spectacle and demonstration, and 100% worth it because of all of the above. His workmanship is way better than MB though.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

TheBacon posted:

I thought prices on them were going up? I’d love a 6th gen for the sweet undertail exhaust but VTEC makes me think it would be a nightmare. A 5th gen is probably perfect.

Maybe now but Honda dealerships in the US were blowing them out brand new at sub-$8k for a few years after they were introduced. Note there are 2 trim levels regular and deluxe, the deluxe adds things you definitely want (center stand, ABS).

Extremely brief VFR buyer's guide:

Gen 1-2 (~1989) Carbed, GDC. Collector status don't bother.
Gen 3 (90-93) Carbed, GDC. Collector status unless in nice running condition and cheap then maybe. Good luck with plastics.
Gen 4 (95-97) Carbed, GDC. Widely considered "the best" but is carbed and good luck with plastics.
Gen 5 (98-01) FI, GDC. The sweet spot. Switched to twin side radiators so heavier than the Gen 4 but the FI makes maintenance easier. Body kits are available. Brakes are linked.
Gen 6 (02-08) FI, chain drive, VTEC. I've never owned one but they can be found cheap. VTEC engagement was very abrupt until it was "fixed" in 2008. VTEC makes maintenance more difficult. Some have ABS.
Gen 7 (who cares) Lmao just don't.
Gen 8 (14-?) FI, chain drive, VTEC. The gen 8 and gen 6 are very similar. Gen 8 is lighter and slimmer with the single radiator up front. No brainer between gen 8 and 6 at close to the same price but 8's go for much more.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Uuuh I think you'll find the gen 5 is actually the best because it has carbs

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Please don't tempt me to buy a VFR guys I just bought my Rebel a couple months ago. :V

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

The fix for the vtec was basically, at 6500 it was acting like an on off toggle, and it would ride weird at that rpm because it constantly waffled between the cams. The update was to calm it down so if you rode around that rpm it would stick to vtec on longer instead of shutting off immediately

Iirc

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
IG showed me this post and I don't guys, this thing looks really good, I mean, that's downright beautiful...

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

That’s the one I got. I have the panniers for it too. Still haven’t done the one key install tho help… me

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 29, 2022

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

It would be a lighter, simpler, and cheaper bike without the VTEC, but I think they did a nice job on the design. It's what a VFR should look like.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Not this:

and most definitely not this, what the gently caress:

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

wait, what is that first abomination? It's like 90s jellybean styling but with convex surfaces here and there.

That second one i don't mind, it's the X version like they have with more of their bikes. Perfectly inoffensive.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

LimaBiker posted:

wait, what is that first abomination? It's like 90s jellybean styling but with convex surfaces here and there.

That second one i don't mind, it's the X version like they have with more of their bikes. Perfectly inoffensive.

Gen 7 VFR (1200), this was Honda's design motif for a few years. It was a giant pig of a bike that nobody liked.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gorson posted:

Not this:

These are ugly but unfortunately they're also fantastic bikes and great value, you'd think so immediately if you rode one. I think they were overpriced when new but aside from that I really don't get the hate.

Gorson posted:

and most definitely not this, what the gently caress:

These are genuinely terrible and should not exist.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

Holy poo poo it took me a moment to realize that wasn't an NC750. What the hell?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Imagine everything hateful about big stupid completely incapable ADV's, and everything hateful about boring white goods hondas, and smash them into one extremely confused, extremely bad bike. Oh and it comes with a DCT in case it wasn't heavy enough and you don't already feel ninety years old just looking at the thing.

I'm pretty sure that bike being such a comprehensively dismal failure in every possible way is what catalysed honda into actually trying again with ADV's and led to the africa twin and CRF rally.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Not saying this is a good idea, but this looks like a more reliable Panigale V4, so with that for reference, what's the problem?

Edit: I meant Multistrada V4

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 30, 2022

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

unimportantguy posted:

Holy poo poo it took me a moment to realize that wasn't an NC750. What the hell?

VFR1200X I believe, basically a design exercise where Honda asked "how can we make a bike with a 1200CC V4 that will never, ever sell"

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I would ride it. I’m up here in the lost coast and there’s a zillion advrider posters zipping around in the redwoods and Im jelly. I have my 86 but it’s on summer tires and it’s raining a bunch and I’m mostly just going really slow

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Not saying this is a good idea, but this looks like a more reliable Panigale V4, so with that for reference, what's the problem?

Mostly the same problem I have with ADVs in general but on this one in particular who is going to buy it? They'll just buy one of the more proven ADV platforms. Nobody bought them.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Gorson posted:

Mostly the same problem I have with ADVs in general but on this one in particular who is going to buy it? They'll just buy one of the more proven ADV platforms. Nobody bought them.

Going out on a limb here and guessing he meant to quote the image of the fully faired sport (touring) bike, and not the ADV bike.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Xakura posted:

Going out on a limb here and guessing he meant to quote the image of the fully faired sport (touring) bike, and not the ADV bike.

Oh if that's the case it's just too much bloat; it might be a really nice bike to ride but the Gen 6 VFR was already getting too heavy and too complicated and their response was the 1200. That two tone scheme and exhaust also looks terrible, I've seen some that were painted a solid color and they look ok. Something that looks more like the Gen 8 would have been better. People still want a ton of money for them on the used market but they never seem to sell. I think it's a really good bike if you put it up against the FJR1300 or Connie, but you can get those for half the price.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Oops, poor typing there. I mean Multistrada V4. So I reassert my question: why bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I think it's Varadero syndrome. The 1200+cc ADV market is super hot, and the only engine on the shelf that could work for that is the VFR 1200 mill. Step 1: put it in a tall-rounder chassis (thanks for that one, Revzilla), step 2:... , step 3: profit!