Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
seth ween

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/SethGreen/status/1529191356660215808

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
what seth green really needs is someone to tell him to shush

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Seth Green you nerd while you were studying the law, I was studying the blade.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Did anyone else get to the part where the curly haired guy says, “I’m the only gay guy in my ballet class that likes fisting”? Le epic comedy moment

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
We can prove the promise of ape community

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

E: ^^^ :argh:

the promise of ape community

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

BUG JUG posted:

Seth Green you nerd while you were studying the law, I was studying the blade ape.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

As another reviewer poster said - I’m convinced this is all a bullshit publicity stunt

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

smellmycheese posted:

As another reviewer poster said - I’m convinced this is all a bullshit publicity stunt

We all got scammed to watch a lovely trailer for his show, that was conveniently released after the theft and is being spammed in all the Twitter threads on this.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Mega64 posted:

I'm glad the internet stole Seth Green's apes.

It's much funnier than anything the show could possibly produce

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

smellmycheese posted:

you would hope that one of these braindead celebs would be cool enough to turn this whole thing into a monster dunk on Apeholders, but instead it's all so dark and they're so desperate for money, they'll never go against the Apers.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
How can they keep this future smash hit off the air?!?!

Who doesn't want to watch this, it looks so interesting!

I can't wait to find out about the life and times of some guy's ugly, stupid jpeg.

NOT ONE HUMAN BEING WORTH A TIN poo poo CARES ABOUT THIS MINDLESS RICH MAN EYE TRASH YOU DUMB FUCKS

"the promise of ape community" lol just lol

I guess the promise of ape community is getting away with extortion.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I wonder who’s gonna steal Star Wars Detours

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Someone who is on Twitter please ask Seth Green to remove the ugly ape in his Twitter Av.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you're going to use precariously licensed IP for your media you better be ready to write that poo poo out like a soap opera.

Like let's say he gets his ape back, what producer is going forward now that it demonstrated that the ape can become unlicensed for various and sundry reasons out of control of anyone? How are you supposed to publish in a money making way if your media can become partially unlicensed at any moment?

Also that tweet belongs in a museum. Who's minting the NFT?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

perfect tweet no notes

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You're going to get scammed. This is our promise.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Blotto_Otter posted:

ianal, but how do they get around the fact that possession of a thing is not necessarily ownership of a thing in the eyes of the law, no matter how much NFT dudes want it to be?

How is this gonna hold up in a court, given that they were clearly intended to apply to legal purchases, not thefts? IS BAYC gonna stick to this once a few rich and powerful people start complaining? It would be insane for BAYC to continue licensing rights to stolen NFTs; but it would also give up the game if they acknowledge that licenses are not strictly tied to possession of the NFT; but also it would be insane for courts to make precedent for legal rights to be determined by possession of a magic string of bits rather than legal ownership.

IMO there is an irreconcilable tension here that needs to be resolved in the eyes of the law at some point, and either resolution is going to piss on the NFT parade. The obvious common-sense resolution would be "no, you can't steal license rights like that, therefore these license terms are unconscionable", but again, i anal so maybe my problem is looking for the common-sense answer

edit: relevant quote:
https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/1529185482717790209
It will almost certainly be "well, the blockchain is an interesting bit of evidence, but it's not conclusive and probably not even presumptive." A lot of lawyers have been saying for a while now that NFTs themselves convey nothing, are nothing, and as far as the law is concerned governed by common law of property where ownership is in dispute. So Green never lost his rights because he never lost title to the token as it was obtained fraudulently, and all the "code is law" handwaving has always amounted to farts in the wind. Possession has never been held to be conclusive proof of ownership, else causes of action for replevin or conversion wouldn't exist. And BAYC, apparently using NY as choice of law, will certainly be held to grant license rights only to legally proven owners and not withdraw them if the legal owner can demonstrate the token was taken.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Mega64 posted:

I'm glad the internet stole Seth Green's apes.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

zedprime posted:

If you're going to use precariously licensed IP for your media you better be ready to write that poo poo out like a soap opera.

Like let's say he gets his ape back, what producer is going forward now that it demonstrated that the ape can become unlicensed for various and sundry reasons out of control of anyone? How are you supposed to publish in a money making way if your media can become partially unlicensed at any moment?

Also that tweet belongs in a museum. Who's minting the NFT?

I don't even understand why you would need them for a show. Just make a new generic ape character. Why does it matter if it's an nft or not? Unless it's just aimed at cyrptobrain people exclusively or something?

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Tough break Seth, everyone was real excited about your new show.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

If they do have to go to court, since crypto/butts/NFTs/lovely ape drawings are all part of the libertarian decentralized paradise, do they use Maritime Laws and fringed flags and whatnot

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Unless it's just aimed at cyrptobrain people exclusively or something?
Yes

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I don't even understand why you would need them for a show. Just make a new generic ape character. Why does it matter if it's an nft or not? Unless it's just aimed at cyrptobrain people exclusively or something?
ding ding ding

https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1529219919782457345

His rights to the NFT itself are clear (what the NFT itself conveys is less so, but shhhhhh) but it's the access to the "community" of idiots who think they've tapped into something new and exciting and not the digital equivalent of pushing receipts around. He breaks the kayfabe and the project's done.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Can't the BAYC people just change the stolen ape jpg into a poop emoji and print a new ape that looks exactly like the old ape and give it to Seth for free? Obviously, you would only offer this kind of service to famous people.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It's not going to end up any interesting case law anyways because it's BAYC extending a license conditionally. BAYC can just let them use the ape in the show but this debases the apes.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

No, BAYC can't do that, because it'll be suicide. BAYC works on the delusion that NFTs are special and have some magical intrinsic value that automatically works, as opposed to being nothing. The "investors" have to pretend it does too, or else they'd have to explain why the URL redirectors are worth more than zero dollars. Anything that undermines confidence in the idea that NFTs are radical things that can reshape the nature of ownership destroys the whole enterprise.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i've heard of ape escape but this is ridiculous

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Remember back when Game of Thrones was airing and the first like 4 episodes of a season were somehow hacked out of HBO Go or whatever and then HBO lost their rights to air the show and just cancelled it.

Actually never mind that would have solved a lot of problems.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

kw0134 posted:

No, BAYC can't do that, because it'll be suicide. BAYC works on the delusion that NFTs are special and have some magical intrinsic value that automatically works, as opposed to being nothing. The "investors" have to pretend it does too, or else they'd have to explain why the URL redirectors are worth more than zero dollars. Anything that undermines confidence in the idea that NFTs are radical things that can reshape the nature of ownership destroys the whole enterprise.
This is a lot of words saying ape debased.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
if someone stole my apes, i'd go ape poo poo.

or they would. the apes, that is.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
what is an ape

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

jimmyjams posted:

what is an ape

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What is an ape besides a very hairy man.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I bought a really nice painting for my wall. But someone stole the receipt, so I guess it's their painting now.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Strumpie posted:

if someone stole my apes, i'd go ape poo poo.

or they would. the apes, that is.

they're already poo poo

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Kill All Cops posted:

man my twitter is nonstop recommend me crypto bros tweets and hot NFT mints, but at least i get the occasional crypto bros taking Ls posts

https://twitter.com/TheRyanLion/status/1528744039687897089

im so glad to have never heard of these apps (dApps?)

I find it exhausting juggling a handful of accounts for a real important things, I can't imagine having the energy or mental bandwidth dealing with 18 shitcoin apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
Just seen this on Twitter