Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Ban everything except busses and postal vans.
Some of the best transportation I've ridden is the Swiss Post bus between little mountain villages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

*vin diesel voice* subscribe or die

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

A MIRACLE posted:

that’s insane. I was looking at the full body touring outfit they offer but now gently caress them dude. what the gently caress that’s so loving stupid

I know nothing about any of this other than having read this one article a couple of years ago, so don't take that as authoritative or as something that has remained the same since. It may have changed in the time since that article was written, and there may be competitors who are better.

Be safe, yo.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
https://twitter.com/BrentToderian/status/1528943801854590978?s=20&t=-hoCu39jWuCXmNqeOy26eg

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Some celestial event. No- no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea

is the mechanized auto menace going to make horses extinct? dire news for musk if true

mystes
May 31, 2006

if only they could have known that motorcycle polo would be invented

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/agiantpaperclip/status/1529046202691600386?s=20&t=lKipcE2jywKK8g72FlRP-Q

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

I’m still gonna ride my moto. I am basically encased in armor when I ride it’s the best I can do for now. going to research those new moto airbag helmet things tho

your organs will keep 5 geriatrics alive and in suvs

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

SpongeBob eternally studying to get a driver's license fits into his core gag: he is not fully either an adult or a child

also the show is anti-public-transit. have you seen the bus stop episode?!

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

SpongeBob eternally studying to get a driver's license fits into his core gag: he is not fully either an adult or a child

The driving school stuff came about when Nickelodeon wanted to change Spongebob to a school kid, because kids in school was their "formula for success"- Steve Hillenburg has described what they wanted as Hey Arnold under the sea. Keeping Spongebob an adult and putting him in driving school was a clever compromise to technically give the suits what they wanted but leave the core idea untouched.

Also adding to the 'gently caress cars' sentiment. I prefer a commute to work where I don't have to wonder how many cases of childhood asthma and sleep apnea I contributed to in every residential area I passed.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hey Arnold had a lot of public transportation I feel

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/when-an-artist-angry-abou_b_226870

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

that could never work! america is so big, what do you expect me to do, walk to new york city?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I feel like no cars being good for business should be obvious to Americans. That's basically making the area into a giant mall, and Americans love malls

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I feel like no cars being good for business should be obvious to Americans. That's basically making the area into a giant mall, and Americans love malls

Americans love buying massive things daily like cases of soda and huge bottles of tylenol that last 15 years. not gonna happen

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

but what about a mall that you could navigate your way through - in your car! man has dreamed of this since The Blue Brothers

mystes
May 31, 2006

Americans do not actually love malls anymore, probably because they involve walking

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mystes posted:

Americans do not actually love malls anymore, probably because they involve walking

in my very limited experience with American malls you’re walking through parking lots and traffic at the mall (eg u village Seattle). worst of all worlds.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

American malls are a joke. this is what malls look like in Turkey

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

some of those look exactly like american malls except the 3rd,4th, and 5th floors aren’t closed

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't know if it's still trendy but there was a trend toward fancier outdoor malls in the US starting like 15 years ago. Some of them are sort designed so that they're theoretically kind of walkable but basically they're just strip malls that are reconfigured so they don't look like strip malls and in practice everyone just parks right next to the store they're going to anyway because of american carbrain.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

cool av posted:

some of those look exactly like american malls except the 3rd,4th, and 5th floors aren’t closed

it’s possible Seattle just has terrible malls. it’s nice not to worry about getting run over. however, i want all malls in Turkey destroyed for different reasons.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shopping arcade streets with roofs are a lot less dumb than huge car-centric shopping malls

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

America often seems worse at capitalism than other places, idgi

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

America often seems worse at capitalism than other places, idgi

the idea that you could make something better in the long term for the cost of it being worse or mildly uncomfortable in the short term is unacceptable here.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mawarannahr posted:

it’s possible Seattle just has terrible malls. it’s nice not to worry about getting run over. however, i want all malls in Turkey destroyed for different reasons.

Admittedly, in most of the US malls are either closed or were built at some time before the 1980s. The move to outdoor malls is still pretty limited. Also, malls in Turkey, especially Istanbul really seemed to be places for people to throw money around.

Russia seems somewhere in between where there are a lot of newer indoor malls with a more general line of stores. I don’t really have a problem with them since they usually have metro or public transit connections and serve a purpose (people need somewhere to go during the winter). In general, it doesn’t really seemed to have had the sort of corrosive effect on society as the US.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 14:11 on May 25, 2022

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Americans love malls because malls are public spaces under private ownership and the private ownership gets to decide who hangs out there, unlike the public park or main street shopping district.

James Kunstler is a crank now but he goes into detail on this in The Geography of Nowhere, Americans prefer spaces where they're segregated away from lower classes because we are trained from birth to be insanely classist and follow a caste system.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Ardennes posted:

Admittedly, in most of the US malls are either closed or were built at some time before the 1980s. The move to outdoor malls is still pretty limited. Also, malls in Turkey, especially Istanbul really seemed to be places for people to throw money around.

Russia seems somewhere in between where there are a lot of newer indoor malls with a more general line of stores. I don’t really have a problem with them since they usually have metro or public transit connections and serve a purpose (people need somewhere to go during the winter).

thank you for the context.

lol I remembered a funny politics thing about trump towers Istanbul

https://twitter.com/soitiz/status/939514465317457920?s=21&t=P3MzfYWgnuUYLYYUrwg0Rw

Apr 7, 2003

American malls were quite literally real estate depreciation scams born from 1950s-era segregationist financial policies that encouraged developers to build in the (white-by-design and federally subsidized) new suburbs while denying the same kind of financial breaks to developers that were building in / renovating urban shopping areas. They were 100% intended to be tools of segregation, just like the FHA policies that channeled white Americans to subsidized artificial country estates whlie channeling everyone else to afterthought urban housing projects.

Apr 7, 2003

The 1936 FHA Underwriting Manual explicitly said that race mixing wasn't going to be allowed in FHA-underwritten housing developments
http://fhact50.org/cool_timeline/1936-fha-underwriting-manual-promotes-racial-segregation/
https://www.huduser.gov/portal/sites/default/files/pdf/Federal-Housing-Administration-Underwriting-Manual.pdf

US tax policy subsidized building retail near these new housing developments that were deliberately segregated by race and gatekept by the residents' ability to buy cars.
https://www.jstor.org/stable/2169635

Racism, suburbanization, and car-dependency were all deliberately interwoven in post-war US development and urban decay was the intended result.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

thank you this looks like some interesting reading to check out.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

US tax policy subsidized building retail near these new housing developments that were deliberately segregated by race and gatekept by the residents' ability to buy cars.

Racism, suburbanization, and car-dependency were all deliberately interwoven in post-war US development and urban decay was the intended result.

it rules that even in situations where cars aren't the direct cause of a social problem in America they're always still there, lurking in the background as an accomplice. here's this demon cracker nation trying to develop new forms of apartheid and wouldn't you know it, this loving contraption can help you do it

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
count the malls in bangkok's mall district:

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The 1936 FHA Underwriting Manual explicitly said that race mixing wasn't going to be allowed in FHA-underwritten housing developments
http://fhact50.org/cool_timeline/1936-fha-underwriting-manual-promotes-racial-segregation/
https://www.huduser.gov/portal/sites/default/files/pdf/Federal-Housing-Administration-Underwriting-Manual.pdf

loving hell. Yet more evidence of the US's creamy racism center that you will not see in any history book that Texas has a say in.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/QAGreenways/status/1528845379449802752

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

dear god

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think unfortunately all the traffic engineering manuals in the US recommend this dumb pre-intersection crossing thing for some reason. In this case they probably think they have made it better by angling it more so that the cars have more of a chance of seeing the bikes.

The dutch solve these problems by having better signaling but apparently we're too cheap for that in the US or we don't realize it's possible, and I guess preventing cars from turning right at any point in the cycle is not acceptable.

mystes has issued a correction as of 15:38 on May 25, 2022

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
There is actually an even simpler solution. You add big curbs that force the car to turn and meet the bicycle path perpendicularly. This forces the bicycle path directly in front of the drivers view.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You know who really love malls? Canadians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Oakland has one, good times.