Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Arghy, how would YOU fix them?

Linear loving maps and putting 3 capture points per map. One right on the walls, one in middle of the map, and one at the end of the map. In the end all maps need a major redesign because you can't have it all. You either create a choke point helms deep map or make it an open field battle with capture points that is biased towards the defender. The answer is to keep the current open maps but change how the blockers work so the defender had control of what type of battle they wanted.

Towers need to be replaced with fixed emplacements with their own capture points, wall towers are great but very quickly they become pointless but if you had wall towers scattered through out the settlement then you'd have reason to garrison each one to ensure they kept attrition up through out the fight. Empire cities that had a central keep at the center of the town that was lobbing powder fire and mortars the entire battle would be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I'll get the union on the line and let them know our plans Arghy

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
With the fearsome power of the Total War Warhammer streamers' union on your side, nothing is impossible.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Working domination mode into campaign might have actually been really smart.

The simple 3 point pvp maps on a field, not the tower defense battles.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

not a bot posted:

I don't think CA has mentioned any plans to change how minor settlement battles work apart from tweaking the towers and barriacades, but the 1.3 update slated for July will change things so that there will be more field battles.
Yeah I'm not saying I expect them to actually do something about it because I'm just one whiney goon on the internet and in the minority, but I just wanted to be clear that I personally think its that bad. I understand I'm an outlier so I'm not going to keep going on about it.

What are they changing with 1.3 that would mean more field battles? What could they possibly do other than make the AI suicidal with its armies?

Doomykins posted:

Working domination mode into campaign might have actually been really smart.

The simple 3 point pvp maps on a field, not the tower defense battles.
I'd be fine with this.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Here is how you replenish n'kari

merge low health troops
buy another troop

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
N'kari replenishment is a problem only if you autoresolve a lot, because you lose a shitload of troops that way. I find when I actually fight the battles I don't lose nearly as many as I would've just clicking AR.

Third World Reagan posted:

Here is how you replenish n'kari

merge low health troops
buy another troop

also this

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

summon your sacrificial troops and use them as a... sacrifice

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Third World Reagan posted:

summon your sacrificial troops and use them as a... sacrifice

If I lose a single city or unit the game is broken tho

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I applaud CA for creating teams that are not the bog standard dwarfs corner camping with +replenishment, +movement, and lightning strike.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

After playing some more with the patch, settlement battles really are a lot better without the auto-rebuilding towers. I'm really not sure how that of all things shipped live. On the design side of them, I've also come to realize the core (non-technical) issue with the supposition going in - I am positive that they expected players to spend a couple turns racking up some attrition on the enemy before going on. This is also why the AI starves you out before engaging, and why they have those weird "get more siege supplies the longer you are under siege" skill line and abilities on some lords/buildings. Which is fine in a vacuum, but bad in terms of how the game actually plays, especially at higher campaign settings and how absolutely apeshit anti-player the AI used to be (its a lot better now, if still aggressive).

I found decent success in using main armies to catch enemy armies in the field and then using reserve stacks to just starve most cities out and engage them on my own terms, which is far more viable with the reduced supply lines, but also not really how the game is structured to play, especially early game. Feels like a half baked thesis and update on the game that they either didn't get fully built in, or tried it out and couldn't fully remove it by the time it was go time after play testing found it sucked.

Overall I expect the game to be a banger by probably the 2nd DLC after IE releases, but it needed more time baking and its just gonna take a bit to get there.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The trick to N'Kari is to use Marauders as your expendables, except you get access to T2 dudes with Melee Defense 42 so they're really good at it and hardly expendable. They'll replenish normally. Daemonettes are useable but Exalted are vastly better and a T3 investment.

Engage with fodder, flank properly(Slaanesh flank bonus), use N'Kari's debuffs(spell, cooldown hex) to reduce attack of their elites/Lord/heroes, -9 attack from Exalted Daemonettes. A proper N'kari fight against anything but another LL or Doomstack will see you inflict catastrophic kills and take 5% of your army in damage at most, some Marauder units excluded. You don't take damage when the enemy panics and starts a chain routing and Slaanesh is probably the best faction in the entire game for immediately seizing and peeling apart one or both sides of a front down to the center

Sieges are even easier since you have such amazing speed and with campaign gear you can remove N'kari's glass cannon weaknesses. He's Fast Skarbrand.

As always for Chaos Daemon factions don't forget a Cultist Hero.

I think there's also a depravity ritual(the three city options in the bottom left) that might increase replenishment but don't quote me on that. Oh and rush replenishment tech, and maybe followers? It has been awhile but as I recall they don't leave you with nothing to use. In all seriousness N'kari/Slaanesh replenishment isn't that bad because I was using the "damage your army for 7% to move faster" ritual on cooldown without a need to hit the brakes.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Doomykins posted:

The trick to N'Kari is to use Marauders as your expendables, except you get access to T2 dudes with Melee Defense 42 so they're really good at it and hardly expendable. They'll replenish normally. Daemonettes are useable but Exalted are vastly better and a T3 investment.

Engage with fodder, flank properly(Slaanesh flank bonus), use N'Kari's debuffs(spell, cooldown hex) to reduce attack of their elites/Lord/heroes, -9 attack from Exalted Daemonettes. A proper N'kari fight against anything but another LL or Doomstack will see you inflict catastrophic kills and take 5% of your army in damage at most, some Marauder units excluded. You don't take damage when the enemy panics and starts a chain routing and Slaanesh is probably the best faction in the entire game for immediately seizing and peeling apart one or both sides of a front down to the center

Sieges are even easier since you have such amazing speed and with campaign gear you can remove N'kari's glass cannon weaknesses. He's Fast Skarbrand.

As always for Chaos Daemon factions don't forget a Cultist Hero.

I think there's also a depravity ritual(the three city options in the bottom left) that might increase replenishment but don't quote me on that. Oh and rush replenishment tech, and maybe followers? It has been awhile but as I recall they don't leave you with nothing to use. In all seriousness N'kari/Slaanesh replenishment isn't that bad because I was using the "damage your army for 7% to move faster" ritual on cooldown without a need to hit the brakes.

Marauders are even better in 1.2, so yes-yes to this strategy. The Decadent Apostles tech now gives them Soporific Musk (-5 MA and MD for 10 seconds on being attacked by the unit) which makes the Marauders last longer and the enemy fold faster.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Slaanesh has one tech that gives more replenishment (6%) and the growth buildings. Aside from that I don't think there's anything.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

And I say that is too much.

Only the truly decadent need something higher.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Does anyone know just what exactly the "disciples of excess" unique skill that N'Kari has does? It "increases the size of disciple army's by 20%" but I never noticed exactly what that meant. Extra units? Different units? Only the army's N'Kari summons or is it faction wide?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If I was gonna be a chaos cultist I’d probably be a slaaneshi cultist, which is good since it’s the funnest chaos campaign

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

That's a funny way of spelling Khorne.

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! :black101:

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

If I were a chaos cultist it would be a tzeentch cultist because I would essentially be there to provide an arcane conduit and nothing else just a pulse

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I would be a nurgle cultist because I post on the Something Awful Forums in 2022

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Khorne cultist here, love an in-season peaches & cream, rubbed with some salted butter. Madone!

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I would be a Malal cultist because old and anticomformist.

Malal dlc when

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I would be a nurgle cultist because I post on the Something Awful Forums in 2022

This is the correct answer. Goons are all Great Unclean Ones.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
here's a fun new bug i've been able to replicate a few times

1. move an army to deplete its movement to about 50%, then put it into ambush stance and end the turn

2. load the autosave from the end of that turn

3. change your stance back to normal. hey presto, full refill for some reason

i've not been able to chain this by moving again, ambushing and reloading once more to move insane distances in a single turn but i'm sure someone with more patience than me can enjoy it

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kuiperdolin posted:

I would be a Malal cultist because old and anticomformist.

Malal dlc when

Never cause he does not exist anymore.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
was playing thorek in total warhammer 2. i'm not that good at these games, i play on normal and i do alright, i'm maybe getting good enough to play on hard but it really depends on the arm,y and ht Thorek is one of the easier ones for me. I just work well with the dwarves, I love ranged but I need a front line that isn't hot butter to support it, and Thorek's ranged is frankly obscene. Been whooping all up and down the coast, fighting skaven, not having any trouble with it.

Start a war with Ikit Claw.

Fight's going okay. Not great, but alright. And then suddenly half my army vanishes. I forgot which skaven is which, and I'd entirely forgotten about the big bombs. I'd certainly not even deigned to think they were something the AI could get. Holy hell.

gonna... reload that autosave and autoresolve that one i think...

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Nea posted:

was playing thorek in total warhammer 2. i'm not that good at these games, i play on normal and i do alright, i'm maybe getting good enough to play on hard but it really depends on the arm,y and ht Thorek is one of the easier ones for me. I just work well with the dwarves, I love ranged but I need a front line that isn't hot butter to support it, and Thorek's ranged is frankly obscene. Been whooping all up and down the coast, fighting skaven, not having any trouble with it.

Fight's going okay. Not great, but alright. And then suddenly half my army vanishes. I forgot which skaven is which, and I'd entirely forgotten about the big bombs. I'd certainly not even deigned to think they were something the AI could get. Holy hell.

I always found it frustrating that AI Ikit only has a single nuke and can't build more. The AI doesn't engage with any workshop mechanics, right?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

KPC_Mammon posted:

I always found it frustrating that AI Ikit only has a single nuke and can't build more. The AI doesn't engage with any workshop mechanics, right?

You really want to deal with that more then once?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gonkish posted:

This is the correct answer. Goons are all Great Unclean Ones.

I stopped reading at goons are great

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Nea posted:

The AI can't make nukes, but like the player they start with 1 in the chamber, and like the player they can't use it in autoresolve battles, so that thing is gonna sit there until Ikit fights a manual battle, and there's only one set of circumstances in which that might happen...

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Nea posted:

Thankfully AI Ikit only has one of those warp nukes. Also, higher campaign difficulty can get you more fights because the AI has more armies, while battle difficulty just makes battles more painful and annoying so even after like 1k hours I still do normal battle difficulty

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
AI Ikit not being able to use his nuke more than once in a campaign is good. Is it bad design that your AI can't handle a mechanic that the player can use? Sure, probably. But what happens when it can do that is why I mod away WH3's Tzeentch settlement swapping and movement disabling.

Sometimes poo poo should just not be in the hands of an uncaring, murderous robot brain

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

That loving nuke, i remember thinking it was just gonna be a vortex or a bombardment then BOOM haha thankfully it was only on an over extended longbeard unit but it put the fear or rats into me.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
Does the AI try to pursue the campaign goals at all? I'm curious. I know the big scripted Vortex and Bear campaigns see the main factions going for it, but what about the others?

Like, are the Mummies trying to get those books? Is Wulfhart trying to capture ports? Is Drycha gunning for elves? Are the Vampirates trying to capture sea shanty verses?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Does the AI try to pursue the campaign goals at all? I'm curious. I know the big scripted Vortex and Bear campaigns see the main factions going for it, but what about the others?

Like, are the Mummies trying to get those books? Is Wulfhart trying to capture ports? Is Drycha gunning for elves? Are the Vampirates trying to capture sea shanty verses?

Not really, no. The Vortex/RoC stuff is CA's attempt to introduce an "end state" of sorts, mostly for the player's benefit. The AI doesn't really "get" what they're going for, otherwise. The Tomb Kings aren't chasing books, Drycha just fights whomever happens to look the weakest at the moment, Wulfrik gets dunked on because lol every AI and their grandmother loves to set up shop in Norsca, and the Vamp Coast is just gonna go at whomever is pissing them off at the moment.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The Eltharion and Throt campaigns have a timer until you have to do the final battle, but your rival faction isn't doing anything to work against you.

While doing a Nakai the Wanderer Vortex campaign, I got a warning that one of the non-Lizardmen was on the cusp of taking over the Vortex and gave me the intervention battle. You do indeed lose the campaign if you don't stop them. Luckily, I wasn't doing ironman.

Speaking of competition, how does AI Kostaltyn get supporters so fast? Is he doing something, or is the game giving them to him?

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 26, 2022

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The game likely just gives him a flat amount every turn to start but if your campaign difficulty is above normal the AI gets loads of sweet building time cheats and can just have a lot of those, especially if he is one of the ascendant factions with lots of Kislev sub-faction confeds and expanding.

I found the race to be very easy on Very Hard Campaign but Kostalyn was also eating loads of poo poo and never got outside his starting province.

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008
Does anyone know of a mod that will let me disable Tzeentch factions swapping my settlements all over the place? I tried searching the workshop, but the search function just gives me identical results no matter the keywords I use, so no luck there.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Placeholder posted:

Does anyone know of a mod that will let me disable Tzeentch factions swapping my settlements all over the place? I tried searching the workshop, but the search function just gives me identical results no matter the keywords I use, so no luck there.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2792628225

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Quoting this for ease of finding once IE comes out.

It's nearly June, just one month and then Immortal Empires could come out any day (they said July/August/September, but realistically, it'll be September).