Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I've thoroughly enjoyed basically every episode of Family Guy this season. A few years ago and for a long time before that I couldn't stand watching it anymore. I wanna know what happened. It's like The Simpsons is entirely a bunch of people who only want the show's name on their resume but Family Guy managed to get people who actually wanted it to be good again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I've thoroughly enjoyed basically every episode of Family Guy this season. A few years ago and for a long time before that I couldn't stand watching it anymore. I wanna know what happened. It's like The Simpsons is entirely a bunch of people who only want the show's name on their resume but Family Guy managed to get people who actually wanted it to be good again.

Family Guys a good enough background watch these days, but every single episode they HAVE to put in a pronoun joke and it ruins it for me.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Annabel Pee posted:

Family Guys a good enough background watch these days, but every single episode they HAVE to put in a pronoun joke and it ruins it for me.

I haven't heard any this season :shrug: , they also have pretty much stopped the over-the-top graphic violence that they were inserting into every episode for a while.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Das Boo posted:

I went to look up something on Kelsey Grammer the other night and I was kinda horrified at his personal history. His father and little sister were murdered in separate instances (the latter famously, by a spree killer). It kinda... like, I know he must be okay with playing Bob because he played loving Sweeney Todd, but I would not be comfortable handing him murder plots as a Simpsons writer. :stare:

And then there's his adult life. Been discussed in the Frasier thread, and basically if you combine Frasier with Always Sunny you get Kelsey Grammar's actual reality.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Mellow_ posted:

It was when they did the Principal Skinner isn't the real Principal Skinner episode.

this one is redeemed by being recycled Into the first half of Mad Men

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

I haven't heard any this season :shrug: , they also have pretty much stopped the over-the-top graphic violence that they were inserting into every episode for a while.

Maybe it was the season before, I remember at least three episodes in a row having pronoun/woke people offended by everything type jokes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Seems to have done wonders for his state of mind.

Don't know how accurate it was but I remember reading a thing from someone who was on the set of Frasier talking about how between takes he would basically just shut down and not do anything or talk to anyone until it was time to do another scene.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

War and Pieces posted:

this one is redeemed by being recycled Into the first half of Mad Men

It's an old soap opera plot and Mad Men deliberately played with those tropes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Pete snitching on Don to the partners and them being like "What do I loving care he makes us a lot of money?" was great

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

Don't know how accurate it was but I remember reading a thing from someone who was on the set of Frasier talking about how between takes he would basically just shut down and not do anything or talk to anyone until it was time to do another scene.

The episode where Frasier's sick and gets hosed up on prescription medicine certainly has a... reality to it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Same. I haven't hated it enough to stop watching it, but I've hated it enough to hate-watch it and now I'm back to regular-watching it.

Speaking of over-the-top graphic violence, the Three Directors episode was hilarious.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i haven't seen as many episodes as you but i have come across a bunch of random episodes of the newer seasons, and i too have found it shockingly enjoyable. maybe not "great", but seems they're miles ahead of how they used to be. before i would avoid FG just as much as new simpsons, but i could happily watch the former now

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
gently caress me

https://twitter.com/pgjackson/status/1526993446833205251

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lol is this real? It’s hurting my brain and I refuse to click the link

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Last Chance posted:

Lol is this real? It’s hurting my brain and I refuse to click the link

quote:

Long's not lying. Although he doesn't appear in the clip above, Reich (who served as U.S. Labor Secretary under President Bill Clinton) does show up in the episode as himself to help explain the history of American middle-class decline.

https://twitter.com/RBReich/status/1526995675195445248

I wish I could find the video on Twitter so I can embed it. It suuuuuuuuuucks

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Mr Interweb posted:

i haven't seen as many episodes as you but i have come across a bunch of random episodes of the newer seasons, and i too have found it shockingly enjoyable. maybe not "great", but seems they're miles ahead of how they used to be. before i would avoid FG just as much as new simpsons, but i could happily watch the former now

this season in particular has been pretty good, yeah

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

gently caress I watched and I’m glad the clip was only a minute or so. Real insightful stuff

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
When I think "Homer's income and job security isn't realistic enough," I also think "What would Hugh Jackman have to say about this?" I sleep better knowing the show runners got my back.

(I sure hope they mean the actor so my poo poo post works)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hugh Jassman

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

"Wait a minute, Wolverine can't fly!"
"I'm not Wolverine. I'm Hugh Jackman."

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

al jean must pay for his crimes

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Empty Sandwich posted:

ok. ok. I have an idea.

the writers have, perhaps inevitably, become aware of the Atlantic article about how the Simpsons are no longer a representative middle-class family, but instead are aspirational.

Bart has always viewed his dad (Homer) as a (sometimes-)loveable fuckup, but also as his clearest role model. he knows that the best version of his life is one where he follows in his father's footsteps, barring the eventuality that he ends up on the Supreme Court.

but Bart learns that his parents' version of the American middle-class dream is something he absolutely cannot achieve in the same way they did. to get his father's job, he'd need a graduate degree. probably even a PhD, not a master's. to afford a house that size -- even in Springfield -- he'd need to be approved for a mortgage of $275,000.

Bart freaks out. it's understandable. heck, more than. but there's good news: to guide him through this disturbing news, there appear a variety of figures.

first up is legendary Broadway star Hugh Jackman, playing a janitor. Hugh has some wise words couched in song. also appearing is William Reich, who was Secretary of Labor under former President Bill Clinton (as well as having served in the administrations of Ford, Carter, and Obama).

I don't want this to be some lost midseason bullshit, so this should be the season 33 finale episode.

I shouldn't have initially presented this as a wild pitch rather than stuff the writer spelled out in an interview, but yeah

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the lowest point of the Simpsons thread predicted this!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of a cop out ending to this. Talking about how there are all sorts of problems and then just go "become a firefighter" like that's a solution.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

ngl I kinda love this style and they should let this dude do a whole episode

https://twitter.com/mrtimlong/status/1527352479523885063?s=21&t=O_6AS_JhVQXz5-MgNqkBPQ

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
i think homer gets stupider every year

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I saw a tweet where the animator filmed his girlfriend's reaction to the couch gag airing on TV. I imagine they shut the episode off as soon as the couch gag ended.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I saw the newest episode and thought it wasn’t bad. They employed a lot of minor characters from the church which I appreciated and even had a few good laughs. The musical number got pretty dark but didn’t feel as overwritten as their jokes usually do.

My caveat is that my roommate and I have been watching a few episodes every night after work and I decided to play the latest one since we’re very deep into season 17 (a god awful season. I remember vividly that this was where I originally stopped and could no longer continue watching). So my expectations were low.

Thanks for listening to my story.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Watching it now, and the song is so dire.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Wait the episode just ended after a ten minute song. What the gently caress was this episode. Just nothing there.

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

runnypoops posted:

thats not a question professor

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Ralph Hurley posted:

https://twitter.com/mrtimlong/status/1527352479523885063?s=21&t=O_6AS_JhVQXz5-MgNqkBPQ

I enjoy custom couch gags animated in different styles by professionals, but they always end up being the only memorable thing of said episode in a desperate bid to stay relevant by getting the Internet to talk about it. The rest of the episode is just that, an episode.

It’s sad, really, because would it really kill them to do a full episode or two or three in different art styles to change things up? I mean, look at this. It took this person four years off and on to solo animate a three minute meme in different cartoon styles, and it is loving dope:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjU_D-j7Qso

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Earlier in the thread I pitched a spinoff show that would essentially just be Simpsons but animated by animation legends and up and comers. What's the point of having Disney's unlimited vault of money if they're not going to do anything with it? It would at least be a more believable of winning those awards that they give those lovely Maggie or Lisa Meets (current pop star) shorts to.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Ralph Hurley posted:

I'm not a huge fan of Bart and Millhouse's clothes, but the art style is pretty great. :)

runnypoops posted:

Today I saw a season 7 Office episode where it's heavily implied that Kevin doesn't know alphabetical order. Why do dumb characters always get dumber to an insanely unrealistic degree? I can't tell if this is happening with Family Guy or not because Peter has been VERY loving dumb for a very long time.

You Are A Elf posted:

I enjoy custom couch gags animated in different styles by professionals, but they always end up being the only memorable thing of said episode in a desperate bid to stay relevant by getting the Internet to talk about it. The rest of the episode is just that, an episode.

It’s sad, really, because would it really kill them to do a full episode or two or three in different art styles to change things up? I mean, look at this. It took this person four years off and on to solo animate a three minute meme in different cartoon styles, and it is loving dope:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjU_D-j7Qso

Oh man, as insane and awful as John K is, a Simpsons episode in his style would have been pretty fun.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

YeahTubaMike posted:

Today I saw a season 7 Office episode where it's heavily implied that Kevin doesn't know alphabetical order. Why do dumb characters always get dumber to an insanely unrealistic degree? I can't tell if this is happening with Family Guy or not because Peter has been VERY loving dumb for a very long time.

Because it’s easier to write and good enough for a lot of the audience. It’s hard to develop interesting characters or story arcs, like Luanne going from enrolling in community college and learning how to run a household to being a barely functioning redneck wife.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Kevin wasn't even stupid in the earliest seasons of the Office, Michael just assumed he was. There's that episode where he's secretly a poker champion that plays off of it. Then they just made him actually stupid.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mantis42 posted:

Kevin wasn't even stupid in the earliest seasons of the Office, Michael just assumed he was. There's that episode where he's secretly a poker champion that plays off of it. Then they just made him actually stupid.

There's a lot of problems with writers basically not getting the original characterisation and just going off second and third-hand impressions. Like Meme Kirk vs Actual Kirk where the former became canon to the reboot movies.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Spent too long thinking about how they might have rebooted Kirk van Houten for the Simpsons movie

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a lot of problems with writers basically not getting the original characterisation and just going off second and third-hand impressions. Like Meme Kirk vs Actual Kirk where the former became canon to the reboot movies.

TOS establishes that Kirk used to be a brash arrogant slut. Reboots got him right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Endless Trash posted:

TOS establishes that Kirk used to be a brash arrogant slut. Reboots got him right.

No, TOS establishes that Kirk used to be an absolute nerd in his Academy days.

Picard was the one who got slapped for two-timing dates and got stabbed through the heart in a bar fight.