Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

veni veni veni posted:

But yeah the best thing he has done was make Karl Pilkington famous.

Karl Pilkington is hilarious. An Idiot Abroad is great.

Ricky Gervais is funny on talk shows and when he hosts awards shows. His standup can be funny sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

CPL593H posted:

You're going to post a clip from Extras and not post the best one in the whole show?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k-PxM53VQ4

Without even clicking on this it I'm assuming it's the David Bowie scene.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Oh yeah the Patrick Stewart one is p. good too.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Extras is a show about how Ricky is always the smartest guy in the room and everyone else is stupid.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I voted 1 and I wanted it to make the thread rating appear and it didn't

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Applewhite posted:

Oh yeah the Patrick Stewart one is p. good too.

it's fascinating how P-Stew is pretty great in everything except Picard :v:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

precision posted:

it's fascinating how P-Stew is pretty great in everything except Picard :v:

It's almost like he should stick to acting and leave the writing to the professionals.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
And also not leave the writing to Kurtzman et al.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm about 20 minutes into this special and so far he's done the not-transphobic-or-am-I poo poo, the same smug atheist poo poo he always says, some really dumb observational humour about cats, octopodes and other nature (seriously that 'platypus custard' bit I've heard tons of times how is this new to him), and claimed he 'totally has friends of all religions', then I'm pretty sure he took a dig at Islam over hijabs.

I can put myself through some lovely comedy, but I wonder how much worse this can get.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i couldn't make it past the eddie izzard joke which, as i said, is like 5 minutes in

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Valko posted:

They didn't go bust. They still have a place up and running in Dubai.

For some reason, I feel like Dubai shouldn't count in this discussion. Find some rich funder and you could run anything in Dubai.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
https://twitter.com/ruth_walshe/status/1529088921942081536?s=20&t=8R3IbA1hZ3Moj1ZkGSMzfQ

Never a bad time to post this bit from James Acaster

Edit: Sorry, had to edit the literal cat on keyboard post

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 25, 2022

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004

Happy Landfill posted:

https://twitter.com/ruth_walshe/status/1529088921942081536?s=20&t=8R3IbA1hZ3Moj1ZkGSMzfQ

Never a bad time to post this bit from James Acaster

Edit: Sorry, had to edit the literal cat on keyboard post

That was somehow less funny than Ricky's tired old shtick.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

precision posted:

well i'm 5 minutes in and we already have

:v: There are loads of great female comedians! Like... Eddie Izzard!

yikes. what is this, the 90s?
That was around the time that Izzard was last funny, so maybe you’re on to something there.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I watched the special. Same as his others. Despite what he calls it, it's always usually the same topics and I know for a fact I've heard stuff here from old xfm shows.

He stops at one point to basically say "Trans rights", which was probably the most surprising part, but it just made me more confused as to what his angle is. You can't keep claiming its just irony, what, are the audience laughing ironically too? There's nothing he says that I can't go and see right now on Twitter from some guy who has 3 followers and spends all his time moaning about Trans Women in sports.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Its pretty apparent after about the 6 or 7 minute mark that he doesn't really have much to say.

He never hits a groove or a rhythm or settles in to the special. His material is pretty thin and he just clearly doesn't really care.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Gervais might be reading this thread right now.

https://twitter.com/ChaseMit/status/1529128185933094912

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The clown that no one laughs at.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

CPL593H posted:

The show is a little better than that because his character is frequently the butt of the joke and he's just as much of a superficial dipshit as anyone else but he's got too much of an ego to admit that to himself. It's also frequently about how celebrities are mean spirited self important assholes. It's also funny because the series ends with his career going down the toilet and he ends up slumming it on a reality show where he just loses his poo poo and makes a big speech about how bad the entertainment industry and everyone in it is and it basically goes viral. Then at a crucial point when he has to choose between using that attention for his own gain which will revive his career and being there for a friend he turns his back on the attention. Kind of ironic considering his entire public persona not too long after Extras.
i mean the entire show was him "taking the piss out of" anyone in the industry who wasn't him. aren't people more famous than him pricks?? aren't people not as famous as him drunken wastrels?? aren't the people who hire him to write jokes dummies who want catchphrases? aren't the audience howling monkeys? it's perfect ricky navigating life surrounded by silly idiots.
it reminds me of "scrubs" where the main character is the least entertaining character and is supposed to be our hero despite being a bad person. gimme horn dog patrick stewart
i just think his humor is mean spirited while whining the entire time about how mean everyone is to him. you can be a dangerfield or a carlin, you can't be both.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Applewhite posted:

Did he do it? Did he get cancelled?

You can't cancel someone who is culturally irrelevant

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
"Getting cancelled is a bit like being trans, innit? You all say I'm unfunny trash but I identify as a comedy genius, don't I? *mugs freakishly at the audience* yeah that's what I like to call a 'joke', roight? You might have heard of them before, from the likes of George Carlin, whom Im funnier than. Really sticking it to the man, aren't i?"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Who What Now posted:

"Getting cancelled is a bit like being trans, innit? You all say I'm unfunny trash but I identify as a comedy genius, don't I? *mugs freakishly at the audience* yeah that's what I like to call a 'joke', roight? You might have heard of them before, from the likes of George Carlin, whom Im funnier than. Really sticking it to the man, aren't i?"

"ohhh, i'm a naughty sausage!"

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
He's havin' a laugh

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Why are the rickys and and the chappelles of the world so obsessed with trans people? Like how hard is it to mind your own loving business especially when you have millions of dollara

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

runnypoops posted:

Why are the rickys and and the chappelles of the world so obsessed with trans people? Like how hard is it to mind your own loving business especially when you have millions of dollara

Gotta have someone to feel superior to, and it’s hard to do racial superiority without winding up pandering to right wingers only

This way he captures a bunch of dumb centrists too

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

runnypoops posted:

People fear what they don't understand, is my guess

Combine that with lazy comedians punching down at easy targets and there you go

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Ricky if you're reading this i have an idea for your next special. Just spend an hour naming different trans people and then make a fart noise.

Libs will be owned :cool:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Guze posted:

Ricky if you're reading this i have an idea for your next special. Just spend an hour naming different trans people and then make a fart noise.

Libs will be owned :cool:

Me personally, I'd be owned if he stuck his dick into a wasps' nest, I would be so triggered by that

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

runnypoops posted:

Exactly, they have millions of dollars. Do you really expect them to work hard at writing new good jokes, when they could be farting around on a fake farm or posting on twitter, enjoying their success and millions? Take shots at easy targets and you can write your comedy special in an afternoon, then get back to living the good life.

Grinding out new & original comedy is for the losers who haven't made it!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

runnypoops posted:

every transphobic person's obsessed with trans people. i think about trans people like maybe once a month. they'll just be having a conversation about boats or something and then they'll start ranting about guys in girls bathrooms.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The thing is, there has never been a time in history where stand up comedy, comedy TV, skits, podcasts, etc have been more abundant. We literally are swimming in the iconisphere. If you want to give your brain funny tingles, all you have to do is put on the latest Netflix comedy special by the late, great Ricky Ace and kick back with the whole flat fam, old styles. You can all sit on your couches, in your forget-your-troubles and just laugh with the man who has seen it all.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

runnypoops posted:

Same reason Eddie Murphy had like a solid twenty minutes about how he'd karate chop any gay person within 100' of him. It's an easy target that can't fight back.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I can't believe I watched the whole thing.

Poohs Packin posted:

Its pretty apparent after about the 6 or 7 minute mark that he doesn't really have much to say.

He never hits a groove or a rhythm or settles in to the special. His material is pretty thin and he just clearly doesn't really care.

Yeah, this exactly. IDK if actually-good comedians giving their standup routines a rhythm or a thesis that everything ties back to is a relatively new thing or not, but he certainly doesn't do it at all in this special, it's literally just a loosely tied-together string of unoriginal, uninspired jokes. He's also very clearly insecure; I don't know if he's reading SA but he certainly spends a LOT of time on Twitter, he even says as much in the special. He also loves to mention how rich he is, which smacks of insecurity.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
ricky plays a character in his standup btw. seems like a very different voice than the xfm or podcast stuff. havent seen the new one yet, prob won't as the transphobic stuff is sad and I liked ricky.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

every transphobic person's obsessed with trans people. i think about trans people like maybe once a month. they'll just be having a conversation about boats or something and then they'll start ranting about guys in girls bathrooms.

Better question, why is every transphobic person obsessed with boats?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Why is making fun of people transphobic? Is there a way to laugh at people without being labeled as afraid of them. I laugh at many people I'm not afraid of.

It's okay to call someone a lovely person without insinuating they are afraid of someone imo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

satanic splash-back posted:

Why is making fun of people transphobic

it isn't, not inherently. RuPaul for example has good material on the subject.

the problem, see, right, Ricky mate, the problem, see, it's not that you are, as such, a horrible bigoted rear end in a top hat. probably are, mind you, but that's quite beside the point. the point, you fat sausage, is that you're just not funny. ricky mate, i'm afraid i'm NOT havin' a laugh here

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

je1 healthcare posted:

Better question, why is every transphobic person obsessed with boats?

who isn't obsessed with boats? they float on the water, you can wear fun hats on them, great place to get drunk. boats should unite us not divide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

satanic splash-back posted:

Why is making fun of people transphobic? Is there a way to laugh at people without being labeled as afraid of them. I laugh at many people I'm not afraid of.

It's okay to call someone a lovely person without insinuating they are afraid of someone imo.
hey, lookit this hot take from the 90's! radical! cowabunga! why're they called 'hate crimes'? aren't all crimes 'hate crimes'?!, tubular! i'm not _____phobic, i ain't a-scared of them (slur)s! mondo extreme!!