Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

ChickenDoodle posted:

I could understand a bit if the companies owned the buildings people were supposed to be in, but it makes zero loving sense when all they are doing is leasing the space. Don’t they like cutting costs?

if the jail has no inmates. then the warden and the guards are out of a job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

goatface posted:

I have done this. I wasn't needed in the meeting, nothing absolutely critical was being discussed, I wasn't working effectively due to being tired. Nobody cared. It's good.

Skipping a useless meeting for a nap isn't the issue, it's being dumb enough to tell all your coworkers that you skipped a meeting for a nap

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Normalize it.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
just say you were taking a poo poo. there wont be any follow up questions

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Elephant Ambush posted:

Skipping a useless meeting for a nap isn't the issue, it's being dumb enough to tell all your coworkers that you skipped a meeting for a nap

Yeah, even if it's totally legit to do, napping on the job is frowned on, especially by people who couldn't. The way I'd navigate that, assuming it wasn't clearly a fuckup on my part, would probably be something like "my understanding was my input wasn't needed. Did that change?" Shift the conversation to whether I should have attended rather than why I didn't.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Elephant Ambush posted:

I did that too. That's how I know they didn't care.

e - We do have near absolute flexi, so I wasn't technically on the clock.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Back in my day, people* slept through meetings directly in the wretched conference room

me

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

naem posted:

one of the yelly-est later came to me in tears to confide “Now all I do all day is sit at a screen typing things!! I’ve hardly had time to wander around distracting other people while I waggle fingers at them as if I’m important!” and I’m like, oh no guy who yelled at me, you’re working? at work?

e: oh and another guy said “why do they even need me here this could all be automated” and instead of the gotcha moment he expected where we magically go back to nineteen dicky-two it’s like, yep we kinda don’t need you do we, maybe think about that a bit. hope you have some money saved up for a rainy day

That's the fun thing about better tools: It cuts down on the number of people you need to do work, so you ultimately cut staff and make everyone do more work than before. I "grew up" having to know how to do what would have been the responsibilities of multiple people 20ish years ago on my own. A good number of the older members of the workforce just aren't ready for that kind of shift and it shows.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

When WFH I like to take a 20 minute nap halfway through the afternoon. It makes me much more productive for the rest of the afternoon. I still prefer the office, but that is definitely something I am missing.

I've tried napping in the bathroom stall BTW, but it just isn't the same.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Refried Noodle posted:

When WFH I like to take a 20 minute nap halfway through the afternoon. It makes me much more productive for the rest of the afternoon. I still prefer the office, but that is definitely something I am missing.

I've tried napping in the bathroom stall BTW, but it just isn't the same.

I also do this, but not daily. Basically when I'm so tired I can't concentrate, I take a 30 minute nap and feel much better.
I also did this pre Covid but I'd have to go to an empty lab or have a cubicle with a door.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
it's not even admitting to napping that makes it kinda cringey - there's obviously places/times where that can fly. in the modern workplace where people basically work themselves to death in the office, crashing a few times to sleep during marathon work sessions isn't unusual.

it's the specific context of admitting it when it's clear the boss is prodding for why you missed something you were supposed to be at. that's when you give an excuse that an emergency came up, if you admit you missed it bc you were napping you're basically admitting you hosed up. in that context, it's the kind of thing you can only really say if you have the political capital/overall goodwill, or position of power to do so.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
at the (failed) startup i once worked at, the main mobile dev used to openly nap at his desk in the middle of the day. just slept right on top of the keyboard in the open office where everyone could see

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Yeah, we've got a dude who goes to sleep for 15+ minutes at a time snoring loud enough you can hear him throughout the (large) room he's in. Nobody does anything.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

DELETE CASCADE posted:

at the (failed) startup i once worked at, the main mobile dev used to openly nap at his desk in the middle of the day. just slept right on top of the keyboard in the open office where everyone could see

Yup. I did that too in when working long days with "optional OT". I'd just lay down under my desk for 15-20 or take over an empty conference room. For "volunteer OT" on weekends, this became a power nap plus coffee and bathroom break, about 45-60 mins, no one dared to say poo poo. Eventually others followed my example and took extra time to refresh.

A few places had showers (meant for the morning bicyclers), I'd mosey on down and do a quick shower then be good to go for a while longer.

naem
May 29, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

That's the fun thing about better tools: It cuts down on the number of people you need to do work, so you ultimately cut staff and make everyone do more work than before. I "grew up" having to know how to do what would have been the responsibilities of multiple people 20ish years ago on my own. A good number of the older members of the workforce just aren't ready for that kind of shift and it shows.

I find it hard to feel much empathy for people who just had like, 20+ years of non-stop safety and comfort and money and self worth when my entire adult life has been constant fast paced change and stress

like, oh their bubble popped? hope it was fun welcome to reality fellas

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I texted my boss a couple weeks ago that I was gonna nap instead of attend a zoom meeting because I had trouble sleeping and. didn't want to take a sick day.

I guess shame on me for not taking a sick day.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
but why can't you save your trouble sleeping for when it's meeting time? :downs:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Yeah, I understand and can empathize with how they feel but they don't get any sympathy.

On nap talk, I've never been able to nap properly and the few times I've had a proper 20 nap and woken up made me really jealous of you all. I just sit there with my eyes closed worrying about the poo poo I need to do and how much I need some sleep until it's time to get up.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Oh yeah when I 'nap' I never actually sleep. For me, i get the same effect just lying down in a dark room with eyes closed for 20 min. Doesn't sound great if you're unable to stop worrying though.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Outrail posted:

On nap talk, I've never been able to nap properly and the few times I've had a proper 20 nap and woken up made me really jealous of you all. I just sit there with my eyes closed worrying about the poo poo I need to do and how much I need some sleep until it's time to get up.

https://www.nytimes.com/guides/well/how-to-meditate

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Meditate? Sounds like hippy poo poo to me.

*Downs two whiskys and half a joint before bedtime, wonders why it's so hard to wake up in the morning*

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Outrail posted:

Meditate? Sounds like hippy poo poo to me.

*Downs two whiskys and half a joint before bedtime, wonders why it's so hard to wake up in the morning*

Yeah, you got the wrong way round, have two joints and half a whiskey imo

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Yes, let's have an engineer rubber-stamp drawings in a loving hurricane zone by someone with little CAD experience since 2009 and no college degree. Great idea, $CFO! It's not that I mind the work. It's not that I don't think I can follow some wind load tables. But for gently caress's sake :shepicide:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Congrats, put 'engineer' on your resume (include the quote marks).

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

D34THROW posted:

Yes, let's have an engineer rubber-stamp drawings in a loving hurricane zone by someone with little CAD experience since 2009 and no college degree. Great idea, $CFO! It's not that I mind the work. It's not that I don't think I can follow some wind load tables. But for gently caress's sake :shepicide:

Better than the intern group that wanted to make a gazebo that looks like the space station cupola out of 80/20 aluminum extrusion and 3d printed brackets.

In Houston Texas.

It was designed to be in full sun with no wind protection so it was either going to collapse when the brackets rotted out, or turn into shrapnel in a hurricane/ tornado.

I was an intern too but I was in the shop and refused to build their death trap.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Better than the intern group that wanted to make a gazebo that looks like the space station cupola out of 80/20 aluminum extrusion and 3d printed brackets.

In Houston Texas.

It was designed to be in full sun with no wind protection so it was either going to collapse when the brackets rotted out, or turn into shrapnel in a hurricane/ tornado.

I was an intern too but I was in the shop and refused to build their death trap.

I mean I understand they are interns, but shouldn't their knowledge of building practices be more recent considering they are just out of school?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Who is more juvenile, you who tried to use that for the ID or the person who is already using it?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

That other fucker who got it first, I hate them.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Refried Noodle posted:

Oh yeah when I 'nap' I never actually sleep. For me, i get the same effect just lying down in a dark room with eyes closed for 20 min. Doesn't sound great if you're unable to stop worrying though.

You know how there's different stages of sleep, like REM, where dreaming occurs? The first couple are shallow enough for some people that you can not know you're asleep. If the duration is short enough, you may never get into the deeper stages where being woken up feels different from, like, "I was deep in thought and now I'm not." It's weird.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Zil posted:

Who is more juvenile, you who tried to use that for the ID or the person who is already using it?

goatsestretchgoals posted:

That other fucker who got it first, I hate them.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

You know how there's different stages of sleep, like REM, where dreaming occurs? The first couple are shallow enough for some people that you can not know you're asleep. If the duration is short enough, you may never get into the deeper stages where being woken up feels different from, like, "I was deep in thought and now I'm not." It's weird.

Cool, I never considered that might be my experience. Sleep is freaky.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

I've had that happen before, except I enter a pseudo-dream state that more often than not involves work. When I was working at Dollar Tree, it was the never ending BEEP of the register running through my ear as I was the only cashier on duty with a line to the back of the store and every single customer was the biggest combination of :byodood: and :btroll: possible.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I spent a few weeks thinning apples when I was younger (apples grow in bunches of 4, but all bar one needs to be removed to have big tasty apples). It was 113 degrees, no wind, the air was filled with dust and apple fuzz and most of the time there was no shade. Our fingers swelled up like sausages and I'm sure wea all had RSI by the end of it. But when you closed your eyes you could still see clusters of apples like afterimages, it took days for them to go away. Some sort of low-level PTSD or something.

Deep-Sixed
Jun 1, 2019

32 years and I've only just discovered this exists. This week. It feels like I unlocked a cheat code.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Outrail posted:

I spent a few weeks thinning apples when I was younger (apples grow in bunches of 4, but all bar one needs to be removed to have big tasty apples).

I love these dead gay forums, I had no idea this was a thing.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Sometimes people ask me where I learnt some weird forums knowledge and I have to say something vague like 'oh yeah I just read a lot'.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Folks, I have bad news. My numbers are too good. I am having an emergency meeting to make myself less efficient and become more wasteful. I have failed you all and the company by delivering unheard of value and performance.

Please accept my deepest apologies in this trying time.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Been to work 11 days in a row. Gotta be in tomorrow. I'm considering taking the entirety of next week off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Escape From Noise posted:

Been to work 11 days in a row. Gotta be in tomorrow. I'm considering taking the entirety of next week off.

Start a fire