Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

the seductive thing about identity politics, and where it differs from class politics, is that people can be allowed to feel empowered by them without threatening capital. capital can let people grapple with their alienation from production in a way that feels meaningful to them but that will ultimately not address that alienation, and thus not challenge capitalist rule. "is M4A going to solve racism, sweaty?" and so on

otoh if you're doing class politics and succeeding then you are actually challenging capital and you are actually addressing material issues. (note: no one is doing this)

This is why liberalism has always had a symbiotic relationship with fascism, and why stalin correctly called liberalism social fascism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

quote:

criticizes his economist comrades for their lack of energy

been a while since I read What Is To Be Done but lmao what a summation

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

cagliostr0 posted:

Wait does this mean identity politics only exists to dismantle class conciousness?

ye

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

cagliostr0 posted:

Wait does this mean identity politics only exists to dismantle class conciousness?

you yourself have said it (Matthew 26:64)

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/alizaslav/status/1529233007294414849

drat! sure is unlucky that mean ol' president joe manchin still doesn't wanna do anything. I guess the dems won't be able to do anything about school shootings yet again. we'll get 'em next time, in 2032 after the next census!!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

if the Dems adopted rhetoric about gun control to match their actions on gun control they’d gain 5 seats in the senate

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what, that they have no intention of doing anything about it? republicans will still talk up the various (imaginary) nefarious democrat plots to take our guns. dems responding to republicans making wild deranged claims with either feeble protestations of "um, actually" or some deathly embarrassing slogan is part of why they will be destroyed.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Best Friends posted:

machx madness.

the machx person randy savage

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

WampaLord posted:

also insulting people from flyover country as being dumbasses for not recognizing Who's On First as a piece of sacred comedy history

tbf it's a really good vaudeville bit

someusername
Jan 26, 2015

Doc Hawkins posted:

you yourself have said it (Matthew 26:64)

coming on the clouds of heaven

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

indigi posted:

if the Dems adopted rhetoric about gun control to match their actions on gun control they’d gain 5 seats in the senate

nick kristof thought this, turns out he didn't even know if he was eligible to run or not

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

what, that they have no intention of doing anything about it?

that they will actively hamper it at every turn

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It's actually a good thing they'll do nothing about student loans, minimum wage, climate change, housing prices, gas prices, never-ending wars, siding with Nazis in never-ending wars, healthcare, COVID, monkeypox, And mass shootings because

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

It's actually a good thing they'll do nothing about student loans, minimum wage, climate change, housing prices, gas prices, never-ending wars, siding with Nazis in never-ending wars, healthcare, COVID, monkeypox, And mass shootings because

it makes them the good guys. doing good things that go against the rules and regulations are bad, even if they're good. doing nothing but following the rules makes you good.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
But when are they going to get to the destroyed democrats factory

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Great news everyone! It took the full faith and credit of the national party including Pelosi's personal endorsement, but Henry Cuellar won his primary 50.2-49.8 so those dang lefties won't be able to take are guns! The democrats move from strength to strength in 2022!

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

projecthalaxy posted:

Great news everyone! It took the full faith and credit of the national party including Pelosi's personal endorsement, but Henry Cuellar won his primary 50.2-49.8 so those dang lefties won't be able to take are guns! The democrats move from strength to strength in 2022!

the democrats fully deserve what is going to happen to them

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the democrats fully deserve what is going to happen to them

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/sta...ingawful.com%2F

Did you say something? I couldn't hear you over the sound of the Vote being Gotten Out

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

i don't know who will win in the battle of the Party of Death vs the Party of Death But Incompetent, but i know who will lose

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
so let me get this right...

the dems go rabid and froth at the mouth, with blood shot eyes to scream at you to vote...

but when people have been dying, including children from covid over 2 years, with sudden sparks of violence that is not even in the bit surprising, extinguishing 19 children...

they themselves don't vote on bills?

yeah, they can go get destroyed

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
strive towards a future when a democratic majority could be conceived of as possible

give now

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
lmao remember when people used to talk about "the inevitable legislative response"?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

like shouldnt you at least try? John Newsroom would want you to try.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
they are trying. they’re using their impeccable rhetoric to try to convince people to do the right thing, which is the only thing the government is allowed to do other than kill foreigners and poor people

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

DoubleDonut posted:

they are trying. they’re using their impeccable rhetoric to try to convince people to do the right thing, which is the only thing the government is allowed to do other than kill foreigners and poor people

They are allowed to kill rich people too as a treat some times

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

VOTERS signal NO Dem vote imminent

Democrats can make a choice, voters say. “Democrats can cast their vote in Congress” based on how politicians stand on guns, health care, abortion, economic relief, frankly anything at all that just isn't giving billionaires and defense contractors yet another money shower.

VOTERS say Democrats can work with voters now to give us any reason whatsoever to support them. They are skeptical. “Unlikely, burnt in the past”

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Vote!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

like shouldnt you at least try? John Newsroom would want you to try.

that’s called “forcing the vote” and as we all know it’s a useless tactic

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

indigi posted:

that’s called “forcing the vote” and as we all know it’s a useless tactic

o no

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

docbeard posted:

VOTERS signal NO Dem vote imminent

Democrats can make a choice, voters say. “Democrats can cast their vote in Congress” based on how politicians stand on guns, health care, abortion, economic relief, frankly anything at all that just isn't giving billionaires and defense contractors yet another money shower.

VOTERS say Democrats can work with voters now to give us any reason whatsoever to support them. They are skeptical. “Unlikely, burnt in the past”
democrats are eligible to apply for my vote if they address material conditions in under-served communities (i.e. all of america) for a period of at least 3 consecutive congressional terms. strangely none have so applied so I can only assume they don't have enough skin in the game to get my vote. they can send all the hyperventilating emails and texts they want but the system clearly works

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

MSDOS KAPITAL this is Nancy Pelosi. I'm mad as hell.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

democrats are eligible to apply for my vote if they address material conditions in under-served communities (i.e. all of america) for a period of at least 3 consecutive congressional terms. strangely none have so applied so I can only assume they don't have enough skin in the game to get my vote. they can send all the hyperventilating emails and texts they want but the system clearly works
also they have to be pell grant recipients

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Also, you can't just give them your vote. That would destroy their incentive to work.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
If I do things for my constituents and then they vote for me, that's basically a bribe.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

christmas boots posted:

If I do things for my constituents and then they vote for me, that's basically a bribe.

Also if you do good things for your constituents and advertise it heavily that's populism

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

Agean90 posted:

Also if you do good things for your constituents and advertise it heavily that's populism

its demagoguery

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

christmas boots posted:

otoh if you do things for people who give you money and then they give you more money that's called "lobbying" or in non-politics circles "a job"

why are you mad at politicians they're just doing their job (passing legislation for money)

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

also I said they could apply the application takes a couple years to get processed and any mistakes probably mean you have to start all over. I know it sucks but better things aren't possible right now. if democrats don't like it, complaining to me isn't going to help as I'm powerless to vote for them until they fill out all the paperwork. in the meantime they should address more material conditions and maybe a couple generations from now my descendants, assuming I have any, will cast a ballot for a democrat

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/politicongress/status/1529561571734827008?t=MFOjgsJ_tGBV7o8MwUxTpA&s=19

sowwy we are all tuckered out from failing to do anything please wait 2 weeks before we address this national tragedy uwu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the problem isn't guns as much as it is that the entire nation is a fanatical callous death cult who doesn't care about the lives of anyone and is not only willing but enthusiastic about socially murdering you and your loved ones. you don't go on a murder rampage if you feel like you will have many happy years of fruitful existence in front of you.

i'm sure having a bunch of cops bust down your door and temporarily taking a bunch of extremely expensive possessions of yours while saying that you are an "extreme risk to society" is going to really make people feel valued and protected