Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arrhythmia posted:

One point I will disagree with him on is "the Fromsoft games were never intended for a Western audience". I think you could credibly make that claim for Demon's Souls, given its troubled localization, and plausibly for Dark Souls too, but after the bonkers success Dark Souls had in the West there's no way the West wasn't taken into consideration for the following games. In particular, there's no way Elden "World Building by GRRM" Ring did not have Americans in mind.

I'd say even this is a hypothetical reach. Demon's Souls was developed with an English text in mind, written in Japanese, translated by FrogNation into English, and then the voice acting was done in English. The original game copy had its charmingly jank English text translations, and even though initial plans to distribute it overseas didn't pan out, it was enough for interested people to import, play, and build hype around. Namco Bandai approached From to make Dark Souls because they'd agreed to distribute Demon's Souls in the PAL territories. They could see how positive reception outside Japan was for the game firsthand. It doing as well as it did outside Japan was a surprise, probably, but it was made with a wider audience in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Demon's Souls started out as Sony wanting an Oblivion killer there's no way it wasn't intended for the west.

Well until that one Sony guy played it and decided it sucked because he died a lot

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Sakurazuka posted:

Demon's Souls started out as Sony wanting an Oblivion killer there's no way it wasn't intended for the west.

Well until that one Sony guy played it and decided it sucked because he died a lot

Sony USA also refused to support Japanese & 2D games for years because "Americans don't want those"

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Ulio posted:

Still going through DS3, this must be my first souls game where I have first timed almost all the bosses so far.
Have you tried not using the Sellsword Twinblades?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

giZm posted:

Have you tried not using the Sellsword Twinblades?

I mean I have used op weapons in the other games as well. I did switch Onikiri and Ubadachi for like the last 2 bosses. Currently at nameless king. I tried him once died to his pet. But I switched my dmg rings for defensive and was doing negative dmg to him. Might need to just go glass cannon and learn his moveset.

E:Tried NamelessKing for 1 hour got him down to like 1% hp multiple times but I griefed myself in the most stupid waves. I was just doing negative dmg to his bird in my first attempt because I was attacking his feet.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 19, 2022

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Nameless King fight is the worst in regards to being Player vs. Camera.

Phase one is really easy once you find out how to stagger the chicken, Phase two is harder. I think I have only beat it by going full Murderhobo: master's rags for fastroll and a big damage weapon, like Astora greatsword or Zweihander.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

axolotl farmer posted:

Nameless King fight is the worst in regards to being Player vs. Camera.

Phase one is really easy once you find out how to stagger the chicken, Phase two is harder. I think I have only beat it by going full Murderhobo: master's rags for fastroll and a big damage weapon, like Astora greatsword or Zweihander.

Phase 2 can also be trivialised by using the Dragonslayer Greatshield and its 95% lightning mitigation.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Nameless King is designed to rollcatch, but he doesn't hit hard enough that you can't turtle him with a greatshield or if you're playing a Faith build just spam the piss out of Dorhy's Gnawing.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

FishMcCool posted:

Phase 2 can also be trivialised by using the Dragonslayer Greatshield and its 95% lightning mitigation.

Phase 2 can be trivialized by circlestrafing :smuggo:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Dyz posted:

Phase 2 can be trivialized by circlestrafing :smuggo:

Moving sounds like effort.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

I cheesed him with a bow

https://youtu.be/LhqydPLpQfE

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Horace Kinch posted:

Nameless King is designed to rollcatch, but he doesn't hit hard enough that you can't turtle him with a greatshield or if you're playing a Faith build just spam the piss out of Dorhy's Gnawing.

Actually found him really easy to roll into, his moves are so telegraphed or really well animated with nice hitbox. I have so far only messed up in the lightning stage, the lightning strike where he stands a bolt comes down from the sky has no tell it seems, just spam roll.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ok got the namelessking , took me like 1hour total which is a decent amount, i managed to get him to like 5% hp so many times but just got nervous and hosed it up by trying to heal too much. I realized I was playing way too defensive in the 2nd stage and would do just 1 attack. I started playing more aggressively since I had the ring that increases your attack if you keep attacking, I was shredding him. The only hard thing imo with this fight is that the spear thurst grab attack because you can't dodge roll that and in the first phase when he charges with the storm bird, it's kinda hard to react to where he is going with that one. Other than he wasn't really hard or annoying. I usually destroy the duel 1v1 type bosses so it wasn't surprising this wasn't as hard as it was hyped up to be. But the fight, the location, the setting is really epic.

Now I just got the final boss left, I am going to probably do the dlc content first then the final boss.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Ulio no offense but I hope the rest of the bosses absolutely clown on you 30 times in a row each. :argh: Nameless King took me like... I don't know, 4-5 hours? Over a whole week. Pontiff was a horrible nightmare. This is considered by most players I think the hardest of the three games and you seem to be kinda cruising through it!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I bet Ulio one-shots Midir

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Sway Grunt posted:

Ulio no offense but I hope the rest of the bosses absolutely clown on you 30 times in a row each. :argh: Nameless King took me like... I don't know, 4-5 hours? Over a whole week. Pontiff was a horrible nightmare. This is considered by most players I think the hardest of the three games and you seem to be kinda cruising through it!

I don't know I usually suck vs random bosses that no one else struggles with, I actually didn't do some of the sidebosses in DS2 because they were so annoying hard like Darklurker. I am still in the first dlc and haven't done the final boss of the base game. But so far the hardest bosses has been Lothric for me, just because when he changes into his 2nd phase he starts off with the soul arrow right away, others I struggled with were Abyss Watchers and Crystal Sage. The "harder" bosses were much easier, kinda anti climatic because they had much cooler designs, theme songs etc etc.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

giZm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RviXwvFHI4&t=220s
I know what you mean, freeze happens at 3:47, went away after I removed the USB sticks. Haven't had it happen ever since. Anecdotal as gently caress but nobody else on the interwebs seems to have an idea what causes those hiccups either.

Old af post but I finally found a solution to those freezes (also fixes them in Elden Ring):

Disable "Microsoft Device Association Root Enumerator" in Device Manager -> Software Devices
Stops Win10 from constantly trying to talk to an offline FireTV stick on my network, no more freezes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

giZm fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 25, 2022

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The regular enemies in the Ashes of Ariandel area are so freaking annoying. There is always so many of them in one area. Fire spitting dude, shield dude and spear throwing dude. I do like the area. I just got to the Sister Friede fight, this whole area reminds me of the Painted World and the boss fight even has elements from it such as the invisibility.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ulio posted:

The regular enemies in the Ashes of Ariandel area are so freaking annoying. There is always so many of them in one area. Fire spitting dude, shield dude and spear throwing dude. I do like the area. I just got to the Sister Friede fight, this whole area reminds me of the Painted World and the boss fight even has elements from it such as the invisibility.

I never did the DLC I paid for all those years ago because I did not like Dark Souls 3 very much so on this playthrough looking forward to it.

Pontiff Sulyvan is dumpstering me this run through to the point where Imma just go beat up Yhorm first instead because last time I had a shield for parrying and this time, well, I don't.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Why don't you just equip one?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
The Painted World of Ariandel in DS3 reminds you of the Painted World of Ariamis in DS1? :prepop:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

Why don't you just equip one?

I was trying a different run from what I normally do so this is a shieldless run. It was also going to be a my first faith run, but, lol, lmao, lol no that was a bad plan in this game. Im now going all in on the waifu sword.

Finally got him, but it required me destroying his clone and him cooperating with not doing his "backstep out of range" move too many times.

Edit: Leveling weapons in this is kind of dire.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Barudak posted:

I was trying a different run from what I normally do so this is a shieldless run. It was also going to be a my first faith run, but, lol, lmao, lol no that was a bad plan in this game. Im now going all in on the waifu sword.

Finally got him, but it required me destroying his clone and him cooperating with not doing his "backstep out of range" move too many times.

Fwiw you can parry with Katanas and Fist weapons.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Horace Kinch posted:

Fwiw you can parry with Katanas and Fist weapons.

Really? Huh no clue.

Hes long in my rearview mirror at this point, though, the bosses immediately after him are nice and easy. Did Seigward's quest this time and once again botched greirat. Maybe someday lil trash man.

I respecced and oh no choosing to be a cleric at the start is boning me.

The real question is will I finally be able to beat the only boss I ever flat out gave up and let a summon solo for me while I did absolutely nothing.

Edit: Ocieros has really high resists but like 2/3rds of his attacks aren't even in the same zipcode as you so another nice first try down along with Dancer.

Got bodied by Iudex Gundyr second form.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 30, 2022

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

FishMcCool posted:

The Painted World of Ariandel in DS3 reminds you of the Painted World of Ariamis in DS1? :prepop:

Ya was kinda obvious, I know everyone says DS3 is a throwback to DS1 but I didn't know it's to this extent. Not that it's a bad thing since it still does many new things and the enemy designs are still so cool. Grim reapers with baskets trying to smash your head in, never gets old.

I was saying how easy this game is even Nameless King I felt was a fair fight but Sister Friede is really annoying. In the first part it's hard to tell where she lands if you miss the destroyed furniture. 2nd part is easier unless Sister Friedes ai decides to only spam ice spikes from range so you can't even stay under Father Ariandel. 3rd part with the added black aura it's hard to get around to hit her. Only good thing is she has low health. If she didn't run away as much it would be more manageable. Definitely feels like a dlc boss, fromsoft usually go all out with their dlc bosses. Haven't beaten Sister Friede yet, I just need to figure out the last phase.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Everytime I hit something in DS3 thats a throwback to DS1 I lose interest and then when it hits me with its own unique flavor of weird Im back in again <Awooooooo>. Theres a lot of stuff Id want more exploration and discussion of that I'd throw siegward, anor londo, and Artorias into a deep well for in a heartbeat.

Its also a bummer that its final solution to the Dark Souls problem is DLC only.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Barudak posted:

Everytime I hit something in DS3 thats a throwback to DS1 I lose interest and then when it hits me with its own unique flavor of weird Im back in again <Awooooooo>. Theres a lot of stuff Id want more exploration and discussion of that I'd throw siegward, anor londo, and Artorias into a deep well for in a heartbeat.

Its also a bummer that its final solution to the Dark Souls problem is DLC only.

Ya I definitely agree, I would have preferred less throwbacks to DS1. Like can you imagine if up until you go to Anor Londo there would have been no throwback to DS1? But by that point you have been in firelink shrine, seen Andre, seen previous bosses in other areas as statues etc. The Anor Londo revisit would have been such a epic moment and then the fight with Aldrich was underwhelming even though his design was nice.

I have pretty much explored everything in this game so far but this definitely my fastest playthrough as I said since I didn't struggle. I am at 43 hours with Soul of Cinder left and first dlc basically done, 2nd dlc still not finished. Usually just the base game takes me 50-60 hours. DS2 was really long but that wasn't just hard but it had poo poo ton of filler areas/bosses. I still feel like DS2 could have been considered as good or better than 1/3 if it cut the amount of areas/bosses in half or merged them.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Yeah a friend of mine played this for the first time recently after playing Elden Ring, and he picked the Sellsword Twinblades, and he just breezed through the game without summons, constantly saying stuff like "this game isn't as hard as people say", "way easier than Elden Ring" and "oh I found that boss really easy". I think Friede was the only boss he struggled with (aside from Wolnir where he didn't figure out the bracelets). Even Nameless King went down pretty quick.

And more power to him for that, play how you want to play. I just worry that people will lessen their own enjoyment of the game by having bosses not really be as difficult, and you just circle around and spam L1. Games aren't usually as fun if it's just easy-breezy mode and you're not really challenged.

Rythian fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 30, 2022

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Barudak posted:

...In what sense? DS3 vomits titanite at you at every opportunity.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
DS3 does a similar annoying thing to Elden Ring where it wants you to immediately pick a weapon for early game because there’s not enough shards lying around the first few zones to get multiple weapons to the next tier. Eventually (in DS3’s case, much sooner, basically as soon as you get to Carthus) there will be abundance, but at the start it’s pretty tight.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I think what I miss most about DS3 are pyro and chaos giving int/faith characters good options. in ER the only dual stat infusion is quality. golden order incantations are great but take a real long time to really come online, some necromancy spells have situational use but don't at all justify the massive stat investment.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Got Siegward killed because I forgot how Storm Ruler works. Feels bad, man.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Got Siegward killed because I forgot how Storm Ruler works. Feels bad, man.

if that ever happens you can just die to the boss and he'll respawn along with you

Barudak
May 7, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

...In what sense? DS3 vomits titanite at you at every opportunity.

You gotta lock in a weapon early on to upgrade and there is a long stretch between getting large titanite and titanite chunks. The funniest part so far has been that you need two titanite chunks to upgrade and smouldering lake has exactly 1 and the next one you can get is somewhere in irithyl dungeon (maybe even profaned capital).

Twinkling titanite is very very restrictive, unless Im missing something with the lizards because Im now at Lothric castle and explored seemingly everything and can juuuuust barely squeeze one twinkling weapon to +3

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
You can get a bunch of large shards/chunks by doing Painted World and Lothric Castle early. But you have to know to do that, and neither is easy.

Twinkling is deliberately backloaded super hard. Almost all of it is in Lothric/Archives or Archdragon Peak. In this game, unlike Elden Ring, they really didn’t want you to be using OP unique weapons right out of the gate.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The existence of the Raw Infusion is just messing with me so hard. The starting mace is an absolute truckasaurus of damage for basically no investment so I have been able to goof off leveling luck of all things while I get Anri's sword up to par. Souls games very often are "level up weapon first" but like this is ridiculous at the moment even for that.

My memory is the lightning knight on the bridge in Lothric is a right tough bastard, so we'll see how that goes this time around.

Ive never figured out how to get leeches off me without just tanking the damage, whats the trick?

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
torch

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ah, the item I never get because nothing is dark and and there is nothing to light on fire. Good to know.

I will never really "get" untended graves. Like its cool, visually, but it just doesn't land for me because its too hard to parse out what it is and just kind of suffers from DS3's undercooked new lore you don't get enough of.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Barudak posted:

Ah, the item I never get because nothing is dark and and there is nothing to light on fire. Good to know.

I will never really "get" untended graves. Like its cool, visually, but it just doesn't land for me because its too hard to parse out what it is and just kind of suffers from DS3's undercooked new lore you don't get enough of.

i like it precisely because there is no explicit explanation, it's a strange and alien but extremely familiar slice of time and space you trespass on that houses the key item for the most heretical of the endings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Wasn't there going to be yet a third version of the Firelink Shrine that was cut?