Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

my boss requires i copy them on every email i send (it was fairly simple to set up an outook rule to do it). i know it looks like i'm being an rear end, but i'm not, i've just got a boss who doesn't trust me. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

my boss requires i copy them on every email i send (it was fairly simple to set up an outook rule to do it). i know it looks like i'm being an rear end, but i'm not, i've just got a boss who doesn't trust me. :(

I've been there it sucks. I also had to email when I was clocking in, taking lunch and clocking out for the day. Even though my manager had access to the timekeeping software the company used.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

the cc boss thing is pretty fun when it's the rear end in a top hat sender who is holding things up, and I now have an opportunity to professionally and politely explain where things are and precisely who is up at bat

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
There's nothing sweeter than having someone send a very angry email asking you "why hasn't something been done to progress this thing, this is intolerable" with their boss and director and national manager cc'd in, and being able to reply all "As per my previous email dated 15/11/2021 (see attached)..." with the attached email containing a very clear indication that our part of the work is done precisely as they requested, and as a bonus some extremely clear and helpful advice on what their next steps need to be which they've been ignoring for several months.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Breetai posted:

There's nothing sweeter than having someone send a very angry email asking you "why hasn't something been done to progress this thing, this is intolerable" with their boss and director and national manager cc'd in, and being able to reply all "As per my previous email dated 15/11/2021 (see attached)..." with the attached email containing a very clear indication that our part of the work is done precisely as they requested, and as a bonus some extremely clear and helpful advice on what their next steps need to be which they've been ignoring for several months.

I had one like this recently.
"why haven't I been included in this meeting?"
"well, when I sent the original email asking about <thing> two weeks ago you didn't reply at all. The people in the meeting DID reply. Also thanks for copying in your union rep, you loving rear end. I WAS the only person on this team you hadn't burned your bridges with so well done for getting a full set"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Breetai posted:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'm in a meeting with that could have been an email :cripes:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The first few months of covid lockdowns where people not used to working from home would decide everything should be a Zoom call were brutal

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Thanks Ants posted:

The first few months of covid lockdowns where people not used to working from home would decide everything should be a Zoom call were brutal

Ugh don’t remind me. We were starved for conference room space in our office so getting a meeting together was a lot more challenging before we were sent home. Those first few months? Oh yeah, it got bad.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Friday:
"Remember to accept your invitiation to the report within 24 hours. The invitation will expire due to the sensitive data in the report".

Wednesday:
"Hey Arquinsiel I can't see the report????"

:smithicide:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arquinsiel posted:

Friday:
"Remember to accept your invitiation to the report within 24 hours. The invitation will expire due to the sensitive data in the report".

Wednesday:

"Per my last email..."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Sadly this happened on a Teams call.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Easy tweak; "Per the email I sent out on Friday..."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I mean I told him to make sure he got to it on a teams call. Really I should have also emailed to "remind" him too.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

It's gotta be...65 degrees tops in this building. So loving cold I have a coat and hat on.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

Friday:

Wednesday:

Well that’s your own fault for sending stuff with 24 hours timeout on a Friday

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's true, clicking a link is definitely too much effort at 10AM. That's basically the weekend.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"My VPN drops all the time! Please help!"

What this actually means is "my computer is too slow to do more than one thing at once as it's an eight year old MacBook Pro, it beachballs and lots of things time out". So it's a waste of time trying to look at why the VPN might also drop while all that is going on. Ticket closed.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bob Morales posted:

It's gotta be...65 degrees tops in this building. So loving cold I have a coat and hat on.

That sounds like heaven. That's been one of the many perks of WFH - I don't have to put up with the fact that the office was routinely above 75F.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Kyrosiris posted:

That sounds like heaven. That's been one of the many perks of WFH - I don't have to put up with the fact that the office was routinely above 75F.

It took myself and 3 other coworkers an extra hour and 20 mins to get into the office this morning due to dumb traffic. And the state wants everyone back in the office July 5. No thanks.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Weedle posted:

i think this post worked because i feel like the second interview went really well. the lady seemed to really like me and i had good answers to all of her questions. i'll know for sure early next week but i am very optimistic. it's cool to read work emails about the IT plans for the summer and be like "wow that sounds like it's gonna suck poo poo. not my problem tho"

update: after a third interview they have offered me the job and boy am i ever glad to accept :toot:

i’m not allowed to drive the fleet cars though because I smoke weed. c’est la vie

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hell yeah! Congrats!

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Weedle posted:

update: after a third interview they have offered me the job and boy am i ever glad to accept :toot:

i’m not allowed to drive the fleet cars though because I smoke weed. c’est la vie

Congrats! Let us know how your current work reacts.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Weedle posted:

Huge congrats.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

[Friday] at 10AM. That's basically the weekend.

This but unironically.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
AD has been so freaking slow and crashing a bunch lately it's been faster for us to just learn how to manipulate it through powershell. Yay for learning more stuff I guess

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hotel Kpro posted:

AD has been so freaking slow and crashing a bunch lately it's been faster for us to just learn how to manipulate it through powershell. Yay for learning more stuff I guess

Are you going across a VPN or WAN? ADUC isn't meant for higher latency than your normal LAN.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yep, we ended up giving the service desk a jump box they could rdp to with their elevated accounts. A lot easier than dealing with the weird issues with running aduc over vpn.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What is it with people asking questions and just not mentioning things that completely change what the possible answers can be.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

What is it with people asking questions and just not mentioning things that completely change what the possible answers can be.

https://xyproblem.info/

It affects even me sometimes.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thanks Ants posted:

I got a slack from a customer on monday:

quote:

Hey Agrikk-

My server is unresponsive. Can you take a look?”

That was the whole message. No instance ID, no VPC info, no IP address or account number.

I don’t understand what people expect to happen when they provide zero detail. “Sure thing! Let me just intuit the details with my mind.

https://youtu.be/UPW3iSLPrPg

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
My account manager, after a recent customer outage to due changes in firewall rules

AM: Hey, SVO, what are the customer firewall rules?

Me: Well apparently the rules are: the firewall team can make changes to the firewall any time without warning, even if it is service impacting, but if anyone else need changes made to the firewalls, it requires 3 days notice, paperwork in triplicate, and an act of God.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

External customer gets a random fake virus alert pop-up in their browser. They freak out and call my company rep for some reason (I think because they were about to open our software?), who then forward the email to security.

The company rep wants to know if our internal vuln scan caused the issue.

Deep breaths, Friday is almost here...

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Agrikk posted:

I got a slack from a customer on monday:

That was the whole message. No instance ID, no VPC info, no IP address or account number.

I don’t understand what people expect to happen when they provide zero detail. “Sure thing! Let me just intuit the details with my mind.

https://youtu.be/UPW3iSLPrPg

My toddlers do this. Even if I'm just in the adjacent room with my back turned, they go "hey daddy why does this thing do that?" as if I know what they're taking about.

What I'm saying is that your customers are no smarter than toddlers.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Helping a recently returning dev from several years ago get something running locally

Him on slack:
"<screenshot of windows explorer>

how and where do I check if I am on the xxxx git branch?"

Nice nice, good re-hire

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tbh if I've done a bunch of file organizing in a branch I like having the explorer window open and watching everything change when switching branches

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Really? Come on - this is in bad taste.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Sywert of Thieves posted:

What I'm saying is that your customers are no smarter than toddlers.

At least with toddlers there is hope that the behavior will change for the better.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

KillHour posted:

Really? Come on - this is in bad taste.

That's gross. I would absolutely complain to whomever might have pull to make the complaint heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's my customer's IT department so I don't have much pull there, but I'm sure it's from that securityeducation.com service.