Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Komei rocks. And I love how they keep updating the ending song with new characters both in the animation and singing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
ya boy kongming is great and I have high hopes for homosexuality

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

net work error posted:

Komei rocks. And I love how they keep updating the ending song with new characters both in the animation and singing.
my only regret is that it gets incrementally harder to hear Kongming’s VA trying to sing backing vocals

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/harrison_fjord/status/1213323530332446720?s=20&t=3gTvLCkFvzaiAgFtgwEpWA

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

its true

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Got a new cel

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

net work error posted:

Got a new cel

mokkori!!

where’d u get it

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
decided to check out hxh 1999 and i never realised how much the 2010 version cut in the beginning, leorio even gets a chance to shine this time
the color palette is also more interesting visually with darker shades

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

i dont know much about hxh except it's pretty wild for a beat em ups show + the big dude with the giant pipe is p cool

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
https://twitter.com/_UW7S/status/1528767722040938504?s=20&t=Fg_v9fsNrmFnXnLCICpeSQ

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

hxh is a riot because it keeps doing shonen setups and you think it’s going to be predictable stuff and then it takes a huge bizarre left turn every time

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the 90’s version of Hunter x Hunter has a bunch of filler iirc, although it also includes a really important part of the first chapter that the 2010 version skips over for some strange reason.

Kitfox88 posted:

i dont know much about hxh except it's pretty wild for a beat em ups show + the big dude with the giant pipe is p cool

I highly recommend going into it knowing as little as possible, you could never in a million years predict the directions the story goes in

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I know several plot beats unfortunately cause a friend is huge into it and I’ve let ‘em splurge about it before sadly but if I ever get the energy to binge a series with em after the current one it’s on the list yeah. currently we’re watching a few episodes a week of the 90s sailor moon and I’m pleased to report it is exactly as silly enjoyable as I remembered.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Augus posted:

the 90’s version of Hunter x Hunter has a bunch of filler iirc, although it also includes a really important part of the first chapter that the 2010 version skips over for some strange reason.

I highly recommend going into it knowing as little as possible, you could never in a million years predict the directions the story goes in

I saw a wiki filler list and right away the second ep is filler but i couldn't tell because it fits so naturally into the story. There's just a lot ot stuff that the 2010 series streamlined in the hunter exam arc, because I guess otherwise it would be a 200ep show.

Someone fixe togashi back so he can finish the current manga arc

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The Vampire in the Garden show was just fine. Soviet aesthetics are kind of fun, and Pripyat shows up. Don't really understand the politics of it; there's a lot of both-siding between the bolsheviks and the bourgeoisie, but they don't get into the consequences of the conflict to the degree that it reads like a simplistic anti-war thing.

There is a definite gay thing going on, and broader references to forbidden/doomed relationships. Maybe some sort of reference to LGBT people not feeling well done by the class/culture war? That's a stretch though.

thotsky has issued a correction as of 15:21 on May 24, 2022

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

so when I mentioned it I didn’t realize it was a 5 episode mini series

not knowing this I thought it was paced for maniacs right up til it ended — but in retrospect I sort of appreciate it as an odd story

unless of course this is one of those Netflix situations where they really commissioned 12 or 10 episodes and are breaking up the release for cost saving, like they do with western animators?

vampire in the garden doesn’t explain everything and it doesn’t have to but “nuclear winter star crossed lovers” and “eternal recurrence of violence on racial/ideological lines” are good story seed ideas well suited to animes and mangos

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

stand alone complex 2045 season 2 came out - another production i.g. joint!

I’ll give it this: the op is interesting looking, but I completely forgot what happened in season 1

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

wolfs posted:

I’ll give it this: the op is interesting looking, but I completely forgot what happened in season 1

I completely forgot that existed. Probably should take a look
Edit: Wait, I watched that already.

genericnick has issued a correction as of 22:04 on May 24, 2022

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

is that the one where the dude back flipped naked up the stairs like it was a shitpost meme

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

wolfs posted:

the gang teams up with agent smith to hunt down xenosapient AIs

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

the only really good episode is Batou Goes To The Bank

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Kitfox88 posted:

is that the one where the dude back flipped naked up the stairs like it was a shitpost meme

there’s a lady flipping around now and breathing heavily but it isn’t as funny looking as the naked man

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

wolfs posted:

Made it up to episode 9 of “season 2” before going to bed (it’s really more like the second half of “season 1” since it basically just picks up right after the end of the first season).

I like it. You can tell where they wanted to spend time animating and where to save time. Unfortunately S2:E1 basically opens with several scenes where they wanted to save time and budget. It doesn’t look ugly, the animation is just a little janky. The lip syncing doesn’t match at all (in English or Japanese) and there is e.g. a scene where Ishkawa repeats some stock animations several times in front of a plain background. Once the action picks up though it’s smooth sailing.

It’s fun. It’s nice to have some more GitS. It’s I would probably place it above ARISE (and the live action movie, obviously). I can get into it more when I’ve finished it and some more people have watched it.

Also I hope you remember what happened in GitS:SAC because various events are referenced and it is very relevant.

Edit: The lady flipping around does look better (and the man is basically a lovely Zuckerberg/Musk techbro so it’s ok to think it looks stupid) though they still don’t quite sell it. They are suppose to be people whose brains have been so changed by exposure to super technology and other mysterious forces that their brains are “operating on a whole other level.” Except the animation doesn’t quite sell it so it just looks like someone dancing around while Section 9 looks like idiots who have never shot a gun before. Also super hackers and super AIs are already common to the setting so they don’t do a good job of selling that these people are even beyond that.

Pulcinella has issued a correction as of 22:36 on May 24, 2022

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

gits:sac is canon to gits:sac_2045? huh

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

wolfs posted:

gits:sac is canon to gits:sac_2045? huh

Yep. GitS SAC season 1, 2, and Solid State Society are all canon to 2045.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

wolfs posted:

there’s a lady flipping around now and breathing heavily but it isn’t as funny looking as the naked man

boo

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

wolfs posted:

they put out an ova that just edits s1 to catch you up for s2

i have not seen it but I would guess that they edit out all the good parts

no real interest in the post-human plot

the sustainable war idea is alright, it's just an exaggeration of the the endless proxy wars we have today; but if they toned it down a little and added more of a climate change angle it would seem less cartoony

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Bro Dad posted:

the only really good episode is Batou Goes To The Bank

That episode rocked

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

hahaha ok I guess i should watch the old gits stuff after this

but I’d rather watch an entire series of tachikoma adventures

wolfs has issued a correction as of 23:11 on May 24, 2022

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Really seems like the franchise went down the shitter after SAC, season 1 or 2 depending on taste

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

miss me with that arise poo poo!

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

GITS:SAC is one of the few animes were i have a hard time picking a fav episode. Well-Fed Me might be it i dunno but that episode stuck with me.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

wolfs posted:

thotsky posted:

they put out an ova that just edits s1 to catch you up for s2

i have not seen it but I would guess that they edit out all the good parts

no real interest in the post-human plot

the sustainable war idea is alright, it's just an exaggeration of the the endless proxy wars we have today; but if they toned it down a little and added more of a climate change angle it would seem less cartoony

To be clear, sustainable war is the ova that is a supercut of season 1

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Well I finished it. It sure does dump a whole lot of poo poo on the viewer in the last few episodes. I wish they cut down on the multi-elisode long action sequences to give some time for the ideas to actually breathe. Also wish they had more of the stand alone type episodes unrelated to the overarching plot (e.g. Batou goes to the bank; Dead man possess tank to own his conservative parents; Canadian ambassador’s son commits terrorism to increase the value of his sex robot).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

miss me with that arise poo poo!

arise is an au where the world is exactly the same as sac but for one difference- the major is wildly incompetent in every conceivable way.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

arise is an au where the world is exactly the same as sac but for one difference- the major is wildly incompetent in every conceivable way.

also everyone is a ps2 homunculi

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

tokin opposition posted:

also everyone is a ps2 homunculi

stop trying to make it sound fun :mad:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I’d watch a gits: de

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

sb hermit posted:

To be clear, sustainable war is the ova that is a supercut of season 1

I meant sustainable war as a concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Popy posted:

GITS:SAC is one of the few animes were i have a hard time picking a fav episode. Well-Fed Me might be it i dunno but that episode stuck with me.

Every episode where they play velveteen.