Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

bossy lady posted:

If timers bother you, the game Unsighted might drive you crazy. All NPCs (and also the main character) have a timer that counts down until they die. If they die, you can't buy upgrades / items, etc from them anymore. You can extend their life with a limited consumable you find throughout the world, but the time limit made exploring very anxiety-inducing and you have to use some of it on yourself to extend your own time. IIRC you also get taxed some time every time you die, which was frustrating because you take a ton of damage.

I really liked it, it totally changed the way I typically engage with those kinds of games. It's also just a great game in general. Gamers hate timers though so you can just turn that feature off if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
At first I absolutely loathed the timers in Dead Rising, but after trying the game without them it does feel like it’s missing something.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

moosecow333 posted:

At first I absolutely loathed the timers in Dead Rising, but after trying the game without them it does feel like it’s missing something.

Man, I gave that game two or three tries and it's all just too much. All these alerts on the screen, hot spots on the map, people to herd/babysit and text that's too small to read. I bounced off it hard despite really wanting to like it and hoping it might finally click for me. The timer didn't help matters.

That whole game is little things dragging it down.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

A timer like dead rising in which it starts over is one thing but a forever timer in which something/someone is just gone forever is bone chilling

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

oldpainless posted:

A timer like dead rising in which it starts over is one thing but a forever timer in which something/someone is just gone forever is bone chilling

It's called Real Life

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

oldpainless posted:

Yeah it's pretty cool.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

The Moon Monster posted:

I really liked it, it totally changed the way I typically engage with those kinds of games. It's also just a great game in general. Gamers hate timers though so you can just turn that feature off if you want.

I liked the game too and thought the timer was too important to the story to completely disable so I left it on as long as I could, but it really sucked the joy out of exploration so I shut it off near the middle of the game. I feel like Unsighted was meant to be played multiple times so you can save different people and try exploring different areas but I just don't have the time for that anymore.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BiggerBoat posted:

Man, I gave that game two or three tries and it's all just too much. All these alerts on the screen, hot spots on the map, people to herd/babysit and text that's too small to read. I bounced off it hard despite really wanting to like it and hoping it might finally click for me. The timer didn't help matters.

That whole game is little things dragging it down.

Dead Rising is a ton of fun once you embrace failing and starting over. Frank has permanent upgrades that stick around through each run, and once you have a few speed upgrades and know your way around the timers are basically a joke.

They make it seem like you have to beat the game on your first run, but it’s stupidly hard to pull that off.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The trick with Dead Rising is to understand that you are absolutely not going to be able to do everything in one run right away, you have to treat it almost like a rougelike. Not exactly the same obviously, but understand that you're not going to save everyone and see everything right off the bat, it's going to take you a couple playthroughs by design.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Opopanax posted:

The trick with Dead Rising is to understand that you are absolutely not going to be able to do everything in one run right away, you have to treat it almost like a rougelike. Not exactly the same obviously, but understand that you're not going to save everyone and see everything right off the bat, it's going to take you a couple playthroughs by design.

Dewgy posted:

Dead Rising is a ton of fun once you embrace failing and starting over. Frank has permanent upgrades that stick around through each run, and once you have a few speed upgrades and know your way around the timers are basically a joke.

They make it seem like you have to beat the game on your first run, but it’s stupidly hard to pull that off.

Right, but even when I tried it a second time knowing that, it was still sensory overload and no clear idea about what the gently caress to do or where to go. I guess it just wasn't for me.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

My problem with Dead Rising was that pretty early on it seemed like I could go three or four areas with very little to do other than get killed by those assholes in the jeep or whatever - like I had no problem with the idea of doing successive runs and getting stronger but I just hit an absolute brick wall very quickly and had no idea what to do next.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That's why you spend the entirety of your second run driving around the parkade to get the mega buster, which can one hit kill them

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

bossy lady posted:

I liked the game too and thought the timer was too important to the story to completely disable so I left it on as long as I could, but it really sucked the joy out of exploration so I shut it off near the middle of the game. I feel like Unsighted was meant to be played multiple times so you can save different people and try exploring different areas but I just don't have the time for that anymore.

Yeah if the game was designed around being played repeatedly - ie a much shorter but tougher playtime, upgrades that carry through, stuff like that, I would have appreciated it far more than what it felt like, which was a Zelda-like with timers. Like, "oops took too long? Now you can't upgrade weapons" is not a good use of timers.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

oldpainless posted:

:yeah: Time loop games kick rear end!

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
edit woops wrong game

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BiggerBoat posted:

Right, but even when I tried it a second time knowing that, it was still sensory overload and no clear idea about what the gently caress to do or where to go. I guess it just wasn't for me.

TBH I don’t think it really clicked for me until I’d kicked the bucket five or six times. Frank’s upgraded move speed is ludicrously fast compared to how he starts off, which gives you a lot more freedom to figure things out.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The jeep guys are a real pain in Dead Rising, but after you kill them their music stops and I'd rather run from a hail of gunfire every twenty minutes than cross the courtyard without hearing WEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLL~

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Frank Frank posted:

Oh poo poo! Is this game like the first subnautica? That game legitimately scared the poo poo out of me in a way no video game ever has before. The 2nd one was crap though.

I had to stop playing Subnautica because it was stressing me out. I play games to relax, even if they're horror games, but that experience was different.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Super Mario RPG did not age well, aesthetically speaking. It's distracting at times.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
It’s an intensely ugly game

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Riatsala posted:

Super Mario RPG did not age well, aesthetically speaking. It's distracting at times.

The bonus boss that's basically from an SNES Final Fantasy has a whole speech that just completely whiffs... honestly not even 'these days', but just a few years after. He's using flowery fantasy language to describe being a 2D being experiencing a 3D world, which stopped landing pretty fast after actual 3D games started becoming commonplace rather than the 'make sprites out of 2D models' approach of SMRPG or Donkey Kong Country.

I still like those games visually, but there was a very brief window where that was considered '3D graphics'.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's almost claymation, the most unattractive form of art next to Shadow puppets

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

RareAcumen posted:

It's almost claymation, the most unattractive form of art next to Shadow puppets

you shut your whore mouth

related, it’s close to impossible for me to enjoy the Neverhood anymore because of doug tennapel

(and earthworm jim, and five iron frenzy, and…)

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
In Elden Ring, there is a spirit ash summon called the Lone Wolves" that summons 3 wolves. How are can they be "lone" if there are 3 of them? Absolutely ridiculous. Hope somebody got fired for that blunder

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
there is a man named the dung eater who never once eats dung throughout the whole playthrough

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

there is a man named the dung eater who never once eats dung throughout the whole playthrough

Why do you think he's so loathsome?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Rockman Reserve posted:

you shut your whore mouth

related, it’s close to impossible for me to enjoy the Neverhood anymore because of doug tennapel

(and earthworm jim, and five iron frenzy, and…)

I found the neverhood to be super slow. A shame because the claymation idea was so cool

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
the soundtrack was a banger too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx6Zs3q87rA

christmas boots has a new favorite as of 10:01 on May 25, 2022

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Shadow of the Tomb Raider is a rip-roaring pulp adventure in the jungle, but they don't do a great job dividing cutscenes from the interactable bits, so Lara sometimes just stands around when she should be running, because I didn't get a cue to move forward.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

In Elden Ring, there is a spirit ash summon called the Lone Wolves" that summons 3 wolves. How are can they be "lone" if there are 3 of them? Absolutely ridiculous. Hope somebody got fired for that blunder

I think it's supposed to be a references to famous 90s band The Lone Rangers

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
That sounds like one hell of a stretch. Does anything actually back that up other than them sharing one word in their name?

Edit: This is why I shouldn’t post at 5 am, I just walk into the most obvious poo poo.

moosecow333 has a new favorite as of 13:46 on May 25, 2022

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

moosecow333 posted:

That sounds like one hell of a stretch. Does anything actually back that up other than them sharing one word in their name?

Lmao

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Really it should be the Lones Wolf

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
It's called lone wolf because the other two are dogs, in a neat nod to MGS V

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

kazil posted:

I think it's supposed to be a references to famous 90s band The Lone Rangers

Is this why the albinaurics look like Steve Buscemi?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I once knew a guy named Lone Wolf and he was the biggest loving liar I've ever met in my life. He once tried to tell me he and a bunch of his fuckin buddies air dropped into the white house and held Obama hostage for a day but the news didn't report it for some loving conspiracy reason.

Unrelated but he's in prison now for statutory rape.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

credburn posted:

I once knew a guy named Lone Wolf and he was the biggest loving liar I've ever met in my life. He once tried to tell me he and a bud yonch of his fuckin buddies air dropped into the white house and held Obama hostage for a day but the news didn't report it for some loving conspiracy reason.

Unrelated but he's in prison now for statutory rape.

and you believed him when he said his name was Lone Wolf

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Tunicate posted:

and you believed him when he said his name was Lone Wolf

It was on a Native American reservation. When I was there a guy once introduced himself to me as "White Man" and I made a joke about it but that was his name and I was a jerk.

But Lone Wolf was not actually his name; he was called that because nobody could loving stand being around him and his bullshit stories.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

In Elden Ring, there is a spirit ash summon called the Lone Wolves" that summons 3 wolves. How are can they be "lone" if there are 3 of them?

They're just colleagues, not friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

It’s a typo. Supposed to say “Loan Wolf” and they’re there to collect