Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
hell yeah dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I watched the Gervais special. Same as his other ones. Despite what he calls it, it's always usually the same topics and I know for a fact I've heard stuff here from old xfm shows.

He stops at one point to basically say "Trans rights", which was probably the most surprising part, but it just made me more confused as to what his angle is. You can't keep claiming its just irony, what, are the audience laughing ironically too? There's nothing he says that I can't go and see right now on Twitter from some guy who has 3 followers and spends all his time moaning about Trans Women in sports.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

anti-Gervais
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv6mEv_rDdE

pro-Stewart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg_cwI1Xj4M

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

DrVenkman posted:

I watched the Gervais special. Same as his other ones. Despite what he calls it, it's always usually the same topics and I know for a fact I've heard stuff here from old xfm shows.

He stops at one point to basically say "Trans rights", which was probably the most surprising part, but it just made me more confused as to what his angle is. You can't keep claiming its just irony, what, are the audience laughing ironically too? There's nothing he says that I can't go and see right now on Twitter from some guy who has 3 followers and spends all his time moaning about Trans Women in sports.

If Gervais thought he could do 20 minutes on saying the “n” word while wearing a BLM t-shirt he would do it. His entire brand is “oh, this cultural taboo? What if I just kept pissing on this hornet’s nest, wouldn’t you be all so delightfully upset?” as though at some point in the last 50 years the imperative for comedians shifted from making us laugh to making us upset and then having the people who are upset become the new joke. It just totally fuckin sucks, and there’s honestly nothing more hack than making fun of religion.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Imagine thinking this is in any way cool. What a loving geek, the idea he was carried by Merchant is more obvious by the second

(FWIW, I'm an atheist but people like him make me a bit more careful about how often I bring that up, what a tool)

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I really want to meet the person that image is for. It doesn’t bother/trigger/annoy me, it’s just stupid and unfunny. The only other reaction that would be ok is a single “heh” and then it leaves your mind.

But who’s the person seeing that and audibly laughing going “OH MAN YOU GOT EM, RICKY” and then running to share it.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
wait, ricky gervais is an atheist?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Riptor posted:

wait, ricky gervais is an atheist?

I assume you're kidding, it's a huge part of his personality

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

This seems like a 14-year old's MSN Messenger profile pic or something

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

All this got me thinking about this tweet again.

https://twitter.com/marcmaron/status/1490364814924812290?t=NKhPXGQULNQ8hdW3jC-wpA&s=19

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lord knows Maron can disappear up his own rear end but this is such a quality dunk

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Medullah posted:

I assume you're kidding, it's a huge part of his personality

:wink:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Lord knows Maron can disappear up his own rear end but this is such a quality dunk

Yea Maron's about as far as I can handle with the comics up their own rear end stuff and that's because at the end of the day he does know the thing has to have a loving punchline. Like, he can jerk off all day about how THE OLD DAYS WERE DIFFERENT MAN and road dogs vs homers or whatever the gently caress. As long as he tells one goddamn joke in it he's still above any given 'message comic'.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

Yea Maron's about as far as I can handle with the comics up their own rear end stuff and that's because at the end of the day he does know the thing has to have a loving punchline. Like, he can jerk off all day about how THE OLD DAYS WERE DIFFERENT MAN and road dogs vs homers or whatever the gently caress. As long as he tells one goddamn joke in it he's still above any given 'message comic'.

Like Bill Burr, he'll have the self-awareness to wonder if he's just being an out of touch rear end in a top hat.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://www.nme.com/news/tv/james-acaster-clip-mocking-ricky-gervais-resurfaces-following-netflix-special-3233640

Homie don't play that poo poo

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 25, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I love how Ricky is so completely self unaware that he thinks he's doing such brave, daring, fresh material when you can use a special recorded years prior to completely tear down his own.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I can’t get over what a terrible target trans people are. It’s so weird that I should get angry but I’m flummoxed.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Finished up the Carlin doc on HBO and thought it was fantastic.

Remulak posted:

I can’t get over what a terrible target trans people are. It’s so weird that I should get angry but I’m flummoxed.

This country and what it finds funny has a long history of singling out minorities. I read some RW bullshit somewhere talking about how the percentage of homosexuals is rising in the US (and in which case so what?) but, no it's not, you loving morons. You shamed them into the closet and ruined their lives and careers so much that they were afraid to come out. Now more people admit it.

I don't pretend to understand everything about transexuality but, you know what? None of it effects my life. I mean, aside that I dislike bigots, but I mean directly. Kyle Kinane did a bit on it that was something along the lines of "hey, factory parts aint workin for you? Go get some custom parts off the shelf and build you own poo poo". Like, if they're such a small minority, why do these morons care so much about them just because they have to adjust a few pronouns here and there or self censor jokes that make fun of marginalized people? I don't mind edgy comedy, can take a joke and don't offend easily but simply being mean isn't funny.

Clever is funny.

I'm glad we've moved past the Eddie Murphy, Kinison and DIce fag jokes (and I enjoy some of thier work) but it's insane to realize how not only acceptable that poo poo used to be, but how POPULAR and mainstream. I'm glad this board moved away from the word "human being" which was everywhere 15 years ago. It was just a given that gay people were funny and worthy of derision. As a bi male who didn't fully figure it out until my 20's, I remember even back in my teens being made to feel uncomfortable for liking Prince, Bowie, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Rod Stewart, Queen or The Pet Shop Boys because "they're gay" was an automatic put down and "friends" would make fun of me.

I had a few obviously gay classmates in my college who were the butt of jokes. Looking back, I think one of my best friends from Freshman and Sophmore years was queer but wasn't out. You couldn't be.

loving lay off people a little. There's better and more creative ways to be funny. We've largely moved on from cheap jokes on how bout them jews/women/black people poo poo. I don't know why trans issues are such a hill to die on right now.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm glad this board moved away from the word "human being" which was everywhere 15 years ago.

agreed but it doesn't stop people from calling this a "dead gay website" every two minutes for reasons i don't loving understand

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/1529424063717904386

Riptor posted:

agreed but it doesn't stop people from calling this a "dead gay website" every two minutes for reasons i don't loving understand

It's a Heathers reference

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Riptor posted:

Beaten, but yeah it's from the movie Heathers where two jocks are killed and staged to look like gay lovers. One of the dads at the funeral says "I love my son. I love my dead gay son", only accepting him death despite the fact he wasn't gay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMroWnWIqs0

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

BiggerBoat posted:

Beaten, but yeah it's from the movie Heathers where two jocks are killed and staged to look like gay lovers. One of the dads at the funeral says "I love my son. I love my dead gay son", only accepting him death despite the fact he wasn't gay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMroWnWIqs0

You say he wasn’t gay but he was found in the Forrest with mineral water.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The_Rob posted:

You say he wasn’t gay but he was found in the Forrest with mineral water.

Oh, poo poo. I forgot about that.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's a Heathers reference

I understand that but there's an intended joke in referring to his "dead gay son" that is very much of the time of the movie and which doesn't work anymore.

In other words just because it's a reference doesn't mean it's not a reference to something homophobic

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah but a lot of goons are GLBT and we think it’s really, really funny to say and not homophobic so what can ya do?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Riptor posted:

I understand that but there's an intended joke in referring to his "dead gay son" that is very much of the time of the movie and which doesn't work anymore.

In other words just because it's a reference doesn't mean it's not a reference to something homophobic

I don't think it's meant to be mean spirited but I get you.

I asked the same question about a year ago wondering the same thing as you. I think it was just trying to find a funny death scene to riff off of and equate to a dying comedy forum. I personally think the scene still works because it's trying to show the jock dad, whose obviously a homophobe, repents at the funeral only accepts the idea of gayness when it's his kid and also to play off the idea that Winona and Slater's whole entire scheme was backfiring as the people they hated (and killed) started to garner sympathy for false reasons.

I dunno.

FWIW, I never call this place a dead gay forum

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Watched the Gervais special. Aside from the content being poo poo, it's pretty funny that it was clearly not filmed in front of an actual audience. There are no shots of the crowd and all the laughter is the canned, barking response you hear in the average 80s sitcom. Since a lot of the jokes were about how rich he is, it makes the whole thing seem like that much more of a vanity project.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Re: using canned laughter on recorded sets:

One of the absolute coolest things I’ve ever seen was a clip of David Lynch on the old Louis show on FX. The plot of the episode is that Louis is being considered to take over the tonight show, and he’s nervous because he doesn’t know how to do it, so he goes to this old road comic everyone loves played David Lynch. Lynch tells Louis to go sit down and watch the monitor, and then goes over to a sound stage and just kind of wiggles and smiles and winks and points at nothing, silently. It’s very weird until it cuts back to Louis watching Lynch on the monitor and with all the foley effect laughter and applause it looks and sounds for all the world like Lynch is delivering the opening monologue for a late night set. Just completely breaks down the smoke and mirrors of live TV in less than 30 seconds. David Lynch, a loving master.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Slamhound posted:

Watched the Gervais special. Aside from the content being poo poo, it's pretty funny that it was clearly not filmed in front of an actual audience. There are no shots of the crowd and all the laughter is the canned, barking response you hear in the average 80s sitcom. Since a lot of the jokes were about how rich he is, it makes the whole thing seem like that much more of a vanity project.

the image of someone doing a bunch of "OH I'M SO EDGY AREN'T I I BET YOU FEEL SO GUILTY LAUGHING AT NAUGHTY LITTLE ME~" poo poo to nobody but canned laughs is such a loving pathetic image. Like 100% 'how did you not kill yourself after this' territory of sad loser poo poo.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Slamhound posted:

???

There's an audience there, they just turn the spotlights off after the intro so you can't see anyone. Not really a fan of Gervais but he's still a big enough name to draw a crowd, he's not going to be doing shows in front of an empty theatre and copy+pasting laugh.mp3 after each joke.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 28, 2022

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, that would 100% never happen. Like him or not, Gervais moves tickets

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I would’ve assumed a lack of audience was a covid thing rather than ‘unable to sell’ thing.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

There's an audience there, they just turn the spotlights off after the intro so you can't see anyone. Not really a fan of Gervais but he's still a big enough name to draw a crowd, he's not going to be doing shows in front of an empty theatre and copy+pasting laugh.mp3 after each joke.

The move these days is to pre-tape the show without an audience and then show the video to an isolated group at a later time and record their reaction. There were a bunch of panel shows that did that for covid.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

???

Huh. I stand corrected. I was doing other stuff so I was more listening than watching at first and the audience response seemed weird and off; like they were right on top of the punchlines. And when I started watching the camera work was strangely up-close with a lot of medium shots that gave the impression of avoiding the space..

EL BROMANCE posted:

I would’ve assumed a lack of audience was a covid thing rather than ‘unable to sell’ thing.

Ror posted:

The move these days is to pre-tape the show without an audience and then show the video to an isolated group at a later time and record their reaction. There were a bunch of panel shows that did that for covid.
Probably this if it's anything.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
look gervais sucks but you'd have to be an idiot to assume that he isn't reaching people. that's the actual problem with him, not that he's a talentless hack. my dad messaged me about how much he liked the special and now i'm going to have to watch the loving thing to break down whatever stupid poo poo he said in there

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

We don't have to talk about Gervais anymore, because Norm's last special just dropped on Netflix today and that's all anyone should be posting about. I'm barely into it, but the flight attendant bit had me doubled over.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The whole stuff about Norm being a pretend drunk to grope girls really sucked. I want to enjoy this special but man the whole unexpected death/kinda unexpected sex pest was a lovely double whammy.

However, I totally advise all victims to go this route when legal options aren’t available. Sour your attackers reputation the moment everyone wants to talk nothing but praise about them.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Stavvy's special comes out this week so we got that goin for us

He was on AYG again too which is always a treat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBXLyEoOAAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gramps posted:

Stavvy's special comes out this week so we got that goin for us