Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Not classic Fps game ads 👎

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y_xFig_6vk

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I remember a lot of those ads as a kid and thinking "these loving suck, someone should do something" but noW Im paid a lot of money to rubberstamp garbage so I salute you uncaring mid level corporate suit of the 90s, you cash that end of history check.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i had that gameboy thing

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I hated ads like that. They just rubbed me the wrong way since I felt they were manipulative even as an 8 year old.

I loved the gross out ones though that Nintendo would do for the cutest games like Yoshi’s Island and Kirby.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SeANMcBAY posted:

I loved the gross out ones though that Nintendo would do for the cutest games like Yoshi’s Island and Kirby.

While digging up those old ads, I came across one I remember vividly as a child: It was a close-up of somebody's eye with the eyelid clearly removed, and the text boasting about "a game so fast your eyelids are a liability!" And it wasn't even for a good game! It was for some pissant PSX game called "Nanotech Warrior" that nobody even remembers! But I remember turning the page to that full-page, full-color, grotesque ad as a kid and...well, at least part of it has obviously stuck with me.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
psst, i have klonoa

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

kirbysuperstar posted:

psst, i have klonoa

Hey baby, I WANT Klonoa

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Block my blank card.

I always remember the Highway of Death ad for some RTS and the godawful FFVIII car giveaway sweepstakes like, my dudes, you do not get the game or audience at all.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

Block my blank card.

I always remember the Highway of Death ad for some RTS and the godawful FFVIII car giveaway sweepstakes like, my dudes, you do not get the game or audience at all.

These corporate drones are rewriting a history where the circa-2000 Toyota Echo was ever "cool" or "hip" or "neat", provoking an explosion of preorders that will become Malthusian in scale as the alternative unwashed masses pound on the brittle glass of Babbages where an insufficient quantity of Final Fantasy VIII is to be found.

quote:

Running through August 31, 1999, this new FFVIII sweepstakes enables registered winners to win the chance of taking home a 2000 Toyota Echo, among four total vehicles that are part of the campaign. The Toyota Echo is a new vehicle by Toyota that's aimed at young, non-conventional, consumers who want a stylish sedan that's "cool."

"Traditionally, pre-sell campaigns have been about avid game players wanting to reserve a game in advance to ensure that they would be one of the first in their circle of friends to have a hot new title,'' said Jun Iwasaki, president of Square Electronic Arts. "As part of the campaign, consumers would also get a bonus such as a cool t-shirt or ball cap for pre-ordering. With FINAL FANTASY VIII, we have really stepped up the incentive to get on board early by partnering with Toyota. Both FINAL FANTASY VIII and the Toyota ECHO will hit the streets this fall. The opportunity to be one of the people who score both hot products will be high incentive for consumers to place early orders."

"FINAL FANTASY VIII is one of the most highly-anticipated titles of the year,'' said Doreen McKenzie, director of merchandising, videogames for Babbage's Etc. "By raising the ante with the possibility of winning a new Toyota ECHO, the rush of consumers to retail stores to pre-purchase their copy of FINAL FANTASY VIII and enter to win a car is expected to be explosive."

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 24, 2022

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

kirbysuperstar posted:

psst, i have klonoa
You should see a doctor about that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There are things you can accomplish with ads and theres making people who play FFVIII have money and interest in a new car that looks as horrendous as the Toyota Echo

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
There are so many terrible old videogame ads to reminisce about and yet the worst and simultaneously funniest (given how it turned out) ad of all time still belongs to a classic FPS game

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Iconic power couple

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I can't post without my buddy Superfly.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
There's been a new update for Industria that pretty much fixed all the performance issues that I was having:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1172650/INDUSTRIA/

So I'm now playing through it. What a lovely lil' game. This is the exact kind of thing I'd like to make if I were into game dev.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

There's been a new update for Industria that pretty much fixed all the performance issues that I was having:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1172650/INDUSTRIA/

So I'm now playing through it. What a lovely lil' game. This is the exact kind of thing I'd like to make if I were into game dev.

I've never even heard of that, but it looks 2010 indie Source engine game as hell, and I mean that as a compliment.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Daikatana ad is good.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Valve Steam Deck posted:

There are so many terrible old videogame ads to reminisce about and yet the worst and simultaneously funniest (given how it turned out) ad of all time still belongs to a classic FPS game

I've talked about this before but man did Penny Arcade get a lot of material out of mocking Daikatana and Ion Storm era John Romero

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It was an era of a lot of pioneers getting big heads and striking off on their own which did lead to a lot of funny disasters. I’m glad John Romero turned out to be a decent, self-aware guy.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

drrockso20 posted:

I've talked about this before but man did Penny Arcade get a lot of material out of mocking Daikatana and Ion Storm era John Romero

that and XBOX HUEG LOL

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

DESIGN IS LAW!!!!

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Dall-e 2 can't come soon enough, until then we get to play with dall-e mini. Everything still looks kinda surreal but it's better looking than the other AIs that have been released

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://twitter.com/photoshop_gy/status/1529151916793536512

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

HolyKrap posted:

Dall-e 2 can't come soon enough, until then we get to play with dall-e mini. Everything still looks kinda surreal but it's better looking than the other AIs that have been released

EDIT: Bonus guess the game

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 25, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

EDIT: Bonus guess the game

SHODAN '06?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Apparently Dall-e mini thinks there was a ps1 game that involved duke surfing:

Would play.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lmaaaoooooo

koren
Sep 7, 2003

The latest speedmapping session from the quake communty is a real belter. The theme is episode 4 and there are some appropriately tricky maps and awkwardly cramped spawn filled rooms to tuck into.

https://quakeworld.fi/files/mappacks/sm218.zip

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

legit spit out some of my water laughing

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I remember Fear Effect 2 having some of the most of-their-time advertisements:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

"these two ladies put the rear end in assassin"

but the picture has no rear end come on guys one job

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

they killed it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

THESE WOMEN LIKE TO HAVE SEX

BUY FEAR EFFECT

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That is the prequel to Fear Effect, thank you very much.

I remember those ads because they do a really, really bad job of conveying what Fear Effect is about which is dying grisly, horrible deaths.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

And visiting hell! I think that was only in FE1 though.

Oh apparently Sedna, too. I bought that for three dollars at some point. I should try it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

And visiting hell! I think that was only in FE1 though.

Oh apparently Sedna, too. I bought that for three dollars at some point. I should try it.

You go to multiple hells in FE2 as the plot is "Ok, look, we all know it. What Parasite Eve was missing was Chinese Vampires and a mandatory multi-phase strategy rpg minigame"

I kept meaning to buy Sedna but also like, come on gamepass or psnow.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Artelier posted:

"these two ladies put the rear end in assassin"

but the picture has no rear end come on guys one job

For white people, the rear end was a largely theoretical concept until the late 2000s or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
There's a new Descent clone, no idea if it's any good. Looks a bit...garish.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1218580/Zerograve/