Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

kalel posted:

hopefully not the one that uses an offensive slur for the Romani

Its a mech that gives you a bonus for two pilots.

I don't know if Leuk-o is an offensive name, it and its meaning are not native to my culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

kalel posted:

hopefully not the one that uses an offensive slur for the Romani

See this is why the best jaeger is Cherno Alpha.

Although that just made me think "Cherno Alpha Investments" and now I'm sad.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

I don't mind weaker sets, they can be really fun when played on their own.

I jsut don't like Forgotten Realms much.

I don’t like weaker sets but I get why they have to happen for Standard legal sets from time to time. Printing an eternal legal set this weak is a huge waste.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Its a mech that gives you a bonus for two pilots.

I don't know if Leuk-o is an offensive name, it and its meaning are not native to my culture.

It'd be way worse, but it'd be more flavorful if they had to be the same power with the whole sync thing

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

fadam posted:

I don’t like weaker sets but I get why they have to happen for Standard legal sets from time to time. Printing an eternal legal set this weak is a huge waste.

they don't have to lean on power to get it to sell, they are banking on the IP doing most of the legwork

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

kalel posted:

they don't have to lean on power to get it to sell, they are banking on the IP doing most of the legwork

Betting this is how the LotR set shakes out, now that you say that. Most especially since they said it's not a replacement for MH3.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Just lol if they print another commander set without dockside

I would think that they would put it and the commander lotus in every commander set but I don't understand *the metrics* or whatever on how to sell to their casual crowd to keep them from just printing a million proxies.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sega 32X posted:

Just lol if they print another commander set without dockside

I would think that they would put it and the commander lotus in every commander set but I don't understand *the metrics* or whatever on how to sell to their casual crowd to keep them from just printing a million proxies.

Dockside is gonna be in 2XM2 I bet

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TipTow posted:

Betting this is how the LotR set shakes out, now that you say that. Most especially since they said it's not a replacement for MH3.

Well good, I'm tired of every format MH touches being completely upended each time one shows up.

Still baffled they made a set where Dragon's Rage Channeler isn't even the best red one drop in it.

fadam posted:

Dockside is gonna be in 2XM2 I bet

Set code is 2X2.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Wasn't the lord of the rings set going to be commander decks like the warhammer one?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Nope, full set without MTG lore appropriate versions like the Secret Lair tie ins.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I loved the original Kamigawa block for instance, especially after how unfun bullshit Mirrodin was.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Apparently its a 5e artifact that, but its got some obvious PR influences

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Did they ever do a card for the Apparatus of Kwalish?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Well good, I'm tired of every format MH touches being completely upended each time one shows up.

WotC fucks up literally every format they "focus" on. Commander, Modern and Historic (Alchemy cards lol) were ruined by cards which bypassed Standard and even Pauper got wrecked as a result of Modern Horizon's terrible designs. Pioneer, as of now, is the only playable eternal format unless you are into Modern Horizons block constructed or whatever MTG-adjacent game Commander has turned into.

For the sake of the game I would love for WotC to stop printing non-Standard cards but those also happen to sell like hotcakes so v:shobon:v

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I loved the original Kamigawa block for instance, especially after how unfun bullshit Mirrodin was.

I've said it many times in this thread and others but any Standard with Kamigawa in it was incredible, even Kami/Mirrodin (after bans). The decks from that time period are just so, so cool.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

OG Kamigawa was great, and Betrayers was fun too, but Saviors went a little too far to the weak side, even after Mirrodin. Saviors might be the weakest set since Homelands though.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Is Saviors worse than Prophecy? That's a real clash of the titans

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Homelands has Memory Lapse, at least, and that got banned in a sort-of-eternal format

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Sort of hard to compete against one with nothing if you're you're looking at singular bad cards.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

vegetables posted:

Homelands has Memory Lapse, at least, and that got banned in a sort-of-eternal format

It also has Merchant Scroll.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

sit on my Facebook posted:

Easily. It's got cards that do things, and your opponent can't pay 1 to make them not do anything.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Easily. It's got cards that do things, and your opponent can't pay 1 to make them not do anything.

Rhystic study though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Set code is 2X2.

I'm seein' double here! Four masters!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

sit on my Facebook posted:

Prophecy is worse by a country mile if you're not counting Commander. Saviors at least had Pithing Needle and Kataki, both still see a decent amount of play.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Katana Gomai posted:

WotC fucks up literally every format they "focus" on. Commander, Modern and Historic (Alchemy cards lol) were ruined by cards which bypassed Standard and even Pauper got wrecked as a result of Modern Horizon's terrible designs. Pioneer, as of now, is the only playable eternal format unless you are into Modern Horizons block constructed or whatever MTG-adjacent game Commander has turned into.

For the sake of the game I would love for WotC to stop printing non-Standard cards but those also happen to sell like hotcakes so v:shobon:v

I was real excited for the first MH and thought it was a great idea

But I've kinda been coming around to the same view tbh. I think a lot of the MH cards are fine, but they create these extremely pushed, really really powerful designs that end up sort of homogenizing everything.

Like if you look at the top cards in Modern today:

41% Lightning Bolt
38% Endurance
34% Fury
34% Mystical Dispute
33% Engineered Explosives
32% Relic of Progenitus
30% Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer
29% Force of Vigor
28% Teferi, Time Raveler
27% Counterspell

Half of them (depending on where we count Counterspell for Modern) are just straight up MH printings. The other half of the cards are almost entirely there because they answer archetypes enabled by MH so effectively. Teferi is just a dumb card in general that probably should never have been printed (I hate it so much), but it enables decks to fight the really hyper focused decks and incidentally fights two of the most popular decks in the format (being the cascade decks). Mystical Dispute is so high up because of things like Murktide being so incredibly powerful (in addition to there just being a LOT of good blue cards). Engineered Explosives is super popular because of cascade decks as well, in addition to just how much of the format is extremely efficient cards that cost 1

If you look at the creature list it's sort of even worst:
38% Endurance
34% Fury
30% Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer
27% Magus of the Moon
21% Solitude
19% Subtlety
19% Dragon's Rage Channeler
18% Brazen Borrower
15% Murktide Regent
15% Emrakul, the Promised End

Pretty much all the primer threats in modern in terms of creatures are MH2. On the above list it's 7/10 cards that are printed in MH. Emrakul doesn't really count though because it's just a single sideboard card in a few of the popular decks

In a lot of decks these days in Modern, you play all the good MH cards for your archetype (and if there aren't any the deck is probably not really super competitive), then you just sort of flavor your wincon with whatever 15 or less cards or so you want to use to end the game/use for card draw.

Edit: I was really hoping MHs would be sort of "cards that are too powerful for standard, but aimed at a wide variety of archetypes to give new tools" and instead it's "a lot of junk, and also extremely pushed cards that are extremely generally good and everyone will need to play, few inbetweens"

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 25, 2022

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

MonsieurChoc posted:

Rhystic study though.

That's one of the cards that has to ask the opponent for permission to work, and it became relevant in the frequently mutliplayer environment of Commander.

Off off that alone you would put the set with Coastal Hornclaw, a card that asks you to blow up lands to become mediocre, above a set that has contributed more than one card to the game. Lunacy.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

mandatory lesbian posted:

In first or second grade i traded a foil nidoqueen for a normal rhyhorn bc i thought it looked cooler

And i was right

When I went into 6th grade my step-dad told me I was too old for card games so I gave my binder full of Pokémon cards, including an original foil Charizard now worth a sickening amount of money, and my MTG cards to a kid across the street. I don't think I had any valuable mtg cards, just poo poo from the starter 99 set and a shitload of Booster Jank, but I bet a bunch of those original pokemon cards could have bought me a car.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

It's a bit of a dodgy comparison since the sets are different ages and were printed different amounts and reprints affect things etc etc etc, but Saviors has seven cards scryfall lists at >$10 for their native printing, compared to two for Prophecy.

And in terms of the sets as a whole rather than a few top cards, "If you have seven cards in your hand do something unexciting" might be a bad mechanic but it's better than "sacrifice a land: do something unexciting" and "do something unexciting unless your opponent pays 1"

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Qwertycoatl posted:

It's a bit of a dodgy comparison since the sets are different ages and were printed different amounts and reprints affect things etc etc etc, but Saviors has seven cards scryfall lists at >$10 for their native printing, compared to two for Prophecy.

And in terms of the sets as a whole rather than a few top cards, "If you have seven cards in your hand do something unexciting" might be a bad mechanic but it's better than "sacrifice a land: do something unexciting" and "do something unexciting unless your opponent pays 1"

"Return an island to your hand, then if you have seven cards in hand, counter target spell" would be a wild daze

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Qwertycoatl posted:

They're different sides of the same coin: do something you hate for an incredibly minor effect.

Odyssey had a lot of that too, since the idea was to eschew card advantage (self discard, threshold) for medium effects, and also the punisher cards sucked too, but at least it had some powerful cards like Entomb. Call of the Herd, Upheaval, Sold Mongrel and Psychatog that played in that space. Also when Madness cards were made printed in Torment you were doing fun things like casting cheap wurms and lizards, and flashing back Deep Analysis. Just ignore the part where all the red cards inexplicably made you discard at random.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/BaseJeleren/status/1529497877046669313?t=YVMDMK2RvNNuTi9GiPQPPw&s=19

kitty!!!!

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 25, 2022

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

When I went into 6th grade my step-dad told me I was too old for card games so I gave my binder full of Pokémon cards, including an original foil Charizard now worth a sickening amount of money, and my MTG cards to a kid across the street. I don't think I had any valuable mtg cards, just poo poo from the starter 99 set and a shitload of Booster Jank, but I bet a bunch of those original pokemon cards could have bought me a car.

That assumes you'd have held onto them through today, instead of, say, selling them ten years ago for merely a few hundred dollars.
It also assumes you'd sell them today for a car, instead of, say, holding on to them for another ten years to maybe sell them for a brand new car, or perhaps for nothing as the market collapses.

This is always the problem with having regrets for not holding onto a collectible - you presume that you'd have the foresight to not sell at previous highs, but also sell at the current high, and not wait for some future high that may or may not ever happen.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Saviors is probably part of the reason people liked Ravnica so much, kind of the same thing that happened with Prophecy going into Invasion. Also, looking at Dawnglare visualizer for Prophecy, it had some solid cards, like Avatar of Woe, Plague Wind, Infernal Genesis, Dual Nature, the spellshaper legends, Citadel of Pain... and literally nothing else

Looks like saviors has a lot more commander cards though, miren, the moaning well, Michiko Konda, Sakashima, the epic spells, Eraya, Soratami Ascendant and the rest of that cycle, Mikokoro.

God, Prophecy limited must have been painful

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

They're different sides of the same coin: do something you hate for an incredibly minor effect.

Odyssey had a lot of that too, since the idea was to eschew card advantage (self discard, threshold) for medium effects, and also the punisher cards sucked too, but at least it had some powerful cards like Entomb. Call of the Herd, Upheaval, Sold Mongrel and Psychatog that played in that space. Also when Madness cards were made printed in Torment you were doing fun things like casting cheap wurms and lizards, and flashing back Deep Analysis. Just ignore the part where all the red cards inexplicably made you discard at random.

Discard at random sucks but gamble would be pretty broken otherwise (apologies if this isnt the gamble set)

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

A Moose posted:

I don't think you would have ever played with more than one pack in draft/a couple in sealed since this was back in the block days but yeah those packs must have sucked. At least it wasn't like pre-mirage sets where grey ogres were the only common creatures available in certain colors?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

ilmucche posted:

"Return an island to your hand, then if you have seven cards in hand, counter target spell" would be a wild daze

Lol remember the og Kamigawa Moonfolk?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Was Mortal Combat Prophecy? That's a fun card if not a good one.

Lone Goat posted:

Threshold could come back and be good, I feel.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

A Moose posted:

Saviors is probably part of the reason people liked Ravnica so much, kind of the same thing that happened with Prophecy going into Invasion. Also, looking at Dawnglare visualizer for Prophecy, it had some solid cards, like Avatar of Woe, Plague Wind, Infernal Genesis, Dual Nature, the spellshaper legends, Citadel of Pain... and literally nothing else

Looks like saviors has a lot more commander cards though, miren, the moaning well, Michiko Konda, Sakashima, the epic spells, Eraya, Soratami Ascendant and the rest of that cycle, Mikokoro.

I know ced and psully talked about here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n2S0BTPu40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Discard at random sucks but gamble would be pretty broken otherwise (apologies if this isnt the gamble set)

Gamble was in Saga, and yeah I agree. I'm talking about immensely forgettable poo poo like this

Cards in all colours let you discard to activate abilities, but all the red ones discarded at random because 'lol red so wacky' or whatever, so it was basically unplayable.