Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mr. Nice! posted:

a sitting congressman literally had his dick blown off yet still kisses the gun lobby's rear end.

And his balls, and his taint :eng101:

One of my favorite weird Trumpisms was how every time he and Scalise were speaking together, Trump had to talk about how Scalise got his dick balls and taint blown off. Imagine getting eunuch'd, and the most powerful man in the world goes out of his way to remind everyone whenever you're in the same room as him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
let me make sure I have the series of events down:

guy runs into cops, cops shoot at him, guy runs into elementary school, cops do nothing bc they're terrified, guy murders a fuckload of children, guy kills self, cops demand more money and guns

drat, why did anyone ever protest against these heroes

C-Euro posted:

I sometimes think about the Bernie Bro who shot up the GOP Congressional caucus while they were practicing for their baseball game. Less in terms of "if only he had been a better shot" and more in terms of "this was the perfect time to pass a gun ban for pinko commies and the GOP did nothing and they still refused to put any restrictions on gun ownership". We either fuckin love guns in this country, or our entire political class is scared to death of the NRA and its minions (probably a mix of both).

this happened very close to where I lived in VA and I used to tell DC people that guy did nothing wrong bc he was mad at society and aimed at people genuinely capable of changing it. needless to say I didn't make many friends who worked in politics, lol

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

C-Euro posted:

And his balls, and his taint :eng101:

One of my favorite weird Trumpisms was how every time he and Scalise were speaking together, Trump had to talk about how Scalise got his dick balls and taint blown off. Imagine getting eunuch'd, and the most powerful man in the world goes out of his way to remind everyone whenever you're in the same room as him.

That’s the dilemma of Trump, if he weren’t a grotesque monster enabling mass suffering and the speedy degradation of what few institutions we have remaining he’d be the most hilarious and entertaining figure in politics in memory decades

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Nobody is going to remember this by November because there will have been ton of other mass shootinga by then

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1529468474413694976?t=gzStW2ClK71kuBGtgs9D5w&s=19

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Lucy and the goddamn football with legislative action, “nah vote for us in November and this time we’ll totally do something on [insert issue here], promise!”

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Relentlessboredomm posted:

let me make sure I have the series of events down:

guy runs into cops, cops shoot at him, guy runs into elementary school, cops do nothing bc they're terrified, guy murders a fuckload of children, guy kills self, cops demand more money and guns

drat, why did anyone ever protest against these heroes

Or, back in reality -

Guy runs into cop. Cop gets shot and guy enters building. Guy kills a shitload of kids. Another cop gets shot. Cop kills guy.

Nobody in this thread is going to say they're heros or should get more money. But it's ok, feel free to continue your "let's turn 19 kids getting killed into an anticop screed" instead of actually focusing on the problem. It's certainly a lot more helpful and doesn't make you sound unhinged at all.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

If gun people can be irrational about their guns, I figure I'm allowed to be irrational too.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Hot Diggity! posted:

Nobody is going to remember this by November because there will have been ton of other mass shootinga by then

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1529468474413694976?t=gzStW2ClK71kuBGtgs9D5w&s=19

Half the voters in the country are demons and do not want any action on guns

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Braksgirl posted:

If gun people can be irrational about their guns, I figure I'm allowed to be irrational too.

Nobody is saying otherwise. Making up a story about cops who got shot not doing anything because they are afraid is not irrational - it's masturbatory ACAB bullshit at the expense of an actual discussion and solution

I hug my kids every morning before sending them off to school. I tell them I'm proud of them before sending them off, and my gut turns wondering if today is the day I have to respond to a shooting at my kid's school. I cried like a loving baby this morning.

gently caress anyone and everyone who wants to co-opt this for their bullshit fantasy.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I'm never having kids. This stuff fucks me up enough not having them, I can't imagine what you actual parents are going through.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Or, back in reality -

Guy runs into cop. Cop gets shot and guy enters building. Guy kills a shitload of kids. Another cop gets shot. Cop kills guy.

Nobody in this thread is going to say they're heros or should get more money. But it's ok, feel free to continue your "let's turn 19 kids getting killed into an anticop screed" instead of actually focusing on the problem. It's certainly a lot more helpful and doesn't make you sound unhinged at all.

The issue is that the police prioritized their own safety over that of children, which is arguably THEIR ENTIRE loving JOB.
https://twitter.com/KJKnodell/status/1529389510076665856?t=sWJzOQFhH9gW3LDcfNqaGg&s=19

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Or, back in reality -

You know, it’s funny.

Cops are constantly murdering unarmed minorities one at a time, causing massive collateral damage with unneeded police chases and just generally crushing non-uniformed folks with a super aggressive stance but THE ONE loving TIME they’re needed to stop someone immediately, they let them run amok in a school full of children and unarmed teachers.

That is literally the very scenario where you should risk your life. And again and again, cops are proven to be completely worthless at preventing this.

People are frustrated because the “good guys with guns,” who’ve made a big fuss identifying as such, do precisely gently caress all when they are actually needed.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Mr. Nice! posted:

a sitting congressman literally had his dick blown off yet still kisses the gun lobby's rear end.

Cheer up Steve Scalise
Lost your frank and beans
Now you
don't have a weiner
it was, left at the scene.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

swickles posted:

The issue is that the police prioritized their own safety over that of children, which is arguably THEIR ENTIRE loving JOB.
https://twitter.com/KJKnodell/status/1529389510076665856?t=sWJzOQFhH9gW3LDcfNqaGg&s=19

It is seriously hosed that the cops primary response is to call other cops.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

LeeMajors posted:

You know, it’s funny.

Cops are constantly murdering unarmed minorities one at a time, causing massive collateral damage with unneeded police chases and just generally crushing non-uniformed folks with a super aggressive stance but THE ONE loving TIME they’re needed to stop someone immediately, they let them run amok in a school full of children and unarmed teachers.

That is literally the very scenario where you should risk your life. And again and again, cops are proven to be completely worthless at preventing this.

People are frustrated because the “good guys with guns,” who’ve made a big fuss identifying as such, do precisely gently caress all when they are actually needed.

this. if they want to crow about how hard their job is, how they put their lives on the line every time they put on the uniform and there's so much stress and pressure they can't be held liable for the decisions they make in the line of duty, why the gently caress can't they be called out for not actually putting their lives on the line for kids. if they literally won't lay down their lives for the lives of elementary school kids then when exactly do they put their lives on the line for public safety?

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 25, 2022

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

GUN CONTROL AND AMERICA - KEY FACTS FROM Pew Center Research
  • Four-in-ten U.S. adults say they live in a household with a gun
  • Three-in-ten say they personally own one (lol 44% of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents say they personally own a gun, compared with 20% of Democrats and Democratic leaners.)
  • Personal protection tops the list of reasons why gun owners say they own a firearm
  • Only 48% of Americans see gun violence as a very big problem in the country today (lol)
  • Roughly half of Americans (53%) favor stricter gun laws (a decline from 60% in 2019)
  • Every American (especially SA Goons) who loves guns and owns guns has a small peepee and can't sexually satisfy their loved ones.

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/20/771278167/poll-number-of-americans-who-favor-stricter-gun-laws-continues-to-grow

Dang

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

swickles posted:

And loving shame on them for that. That's exactly why I'm not calling them heroes or anything. Every single active shooter training that includes PD I've been involved in prioritize going in and linking up as more PD arrives. First LE on scene - make entry and go towards the shots. "Wait outside" isn't even on the sheet and I can show the checklist to prove it.

I don't know where these guys got their training from but the hosed up at Step 1.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

And loving shame on them for that. That's exactly why I'm not calling them heroes or anything. Every single active shooter training that includes PD I've been involved in prioritize going in and linking up as more PD arrives. First LE on scene - make entry and go towards the shots. "Wait outside" isn't even on the sheet and I can show the checklist to prove it.

I don't know where these guys got their training from but the hosed up at Step 1.

Right but it keeps happening.

So we either need to admit that police exist only for the protection of a few people and take other measures to make changes (like banning guns, melting them into a molten slurry, then dumping said slurry over the heads of every GOP voter in the country), or just accept our collective fate as sentient ballistics gel.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Quiet Feet posted:

It is seriously hosed that the cops primary response is to call other cops.

Should called the...

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Everyone, don't worry, the important accounts are weighing in:

https://twitter.com/TheOvalPawffice/status/1529328258176561153

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Or, back in reality -

you're a loving tool and completely reworking the police system in this country is a core component of actually fixing the problem

e: I checked a few more sources and your "back in reality" summary of what happened is incorrect lmao

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 25, 2022

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

swickles posted:

Yeah, this is just so pathetic.

Nov 6, 2002

Just think how many times an officer been acquitted in a shooting because he "feared for his life." Modern police training emphasizes protecting yourself above all else and the legal system has given them the rights to justify it. So none of this behavior is a surprise.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Ornery and Hornery posted:

you're a loving tool and completely reworking the police system in this country is a core component of actually fixing the problem

e: I checked a few more sources and your "back in reality" summary of what happened is incorrect lmao

How about you go ahead and gently caress yourself?

Care to post those sources or are you just gonna throw that out and act like you know all? The last report I saw was what I wrote. If it's wrong it's wrong and unlike you or the other pieces of poo poo who'd rather complain about police than finding a loving solution I'll admit I'm wrong, not jack off harder screaming ACAB while watching funerals.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Just think how many times an officer been acquitted in a shooting because he "feared for his life." Modern police training emphasizes protecting yourself above all else and the legal system has given them the rights to justify it. So none of this behavior is a surprise.

Traditional police training is bullshit. Go figure. There should be and will be lessons learned on the response because this poo poo was figured out with Columbine that you engage. It's literally step 1 of any modern active threat training. These guys apparently didn't know what the gently caress.

The fantasizing about terrified cops hiding behind walls and letting kids get murdered is as bad that the Thoughts and Prayers crowd, and just as effective.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 25, 2022

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I don't know, with how trigger happy cops are this seems like a looming disaster rushing in and calling for backup if it's the plan. Cops from different precincts or even organizations (Border Patrol? wtf?) shooting each other type of stuff.

It's bad, it's absurdly cowardly with all the gung ho propaganda, it's not saving anyone. But I get what they're thinking. They are thinking the wrong thing to be clear, but...I mean it's just very bad and we should never have ended up here. I mean...just gently caress in the end.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Either A) the cops did their jobs and they are just completely outgunned by an 18yo new gun owner or B) they are complete cowards and prioritized their own safety over a bunch of school kids, or C) both.

The only reliable solution to any of this is to make it extremely hard to buy items which only exist to allow people to kill as efficiently as possible.

This was a societal and institutional failure in every regard and it’s been happening constantly for like 20 something years.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Grittybeard posted:

I don't know, with how trigger happy cops are this seems like a looming disaster rushing in and calling for backup if it's the plan. Cops from different precincts or even organizations (Border Patrol? wtf?) shooting each other type of stuff.

It's bad, it's absurdly cowardly with all the gung ho propaganda, it's not saving anyone. But I get what they're thinking. They are thinking the wrong thing to be clear, but...I mean it's just very bad and we should never have ended up here. I mean...just gently caress in the end.

So wait - should they run in and be gung-ho trying to stop the threat and be reckless or should they wait and be terrified little sissies waiting for backup?

The standard since Columbine was to engage as soon as possible - when the shooting starts you're on the defensive, and why the idea of arming teachers is dumb as gently caress. When you engage, you're on the offense, and presumably ready to pick your target.

LeeMajors posted:

Either A) the cops did their jobs and they are just completely outgunned by an 18yo new gun owner or B) they are complete cowards and prioritized their own safety over a bunch of school kids, or C) both.

The only reliable solution to any of this is to make it extremely hard to buy items which only exist to allow people to kill as efficiently as possible.

This was a societal and institutional failure in every regard and it’s been happening constantly for like 20 something years.

Presumably the front line security didn't have an AR, which makes them pretty easy to outgun. That said, you nailed it exactly in your last two paragraphs.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Presumably the front line security didn't have an AR, which makes them pretty easy to outgun. That said, you nailed it exactly in your last two paragraphs.

You know who is really outgunned? Children and school teachers.

Also I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a cop without an issued long gun of some kind but that could also be regional.

This guy said it a little better.

https://twitter.com/lesserfrederick/status/1529455223827316738?s=21

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Hot Diggity! posted:

Remember to vote

Also BlindSite isn't your warriors fan friend forums superstar monkeu? I seem to remember you saying that or maybe I'm doing Australian racism

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

So wait - should they run in and be gung-ho trying to stop the threat and be reckless or should they wait and be terrified little sissies waiting for backup?

After the break is my answer, they should run in. I'm laying out an additional reason why they may not want to in addition to being shot at by the shooter. And again it's wrong and cowardly, but when you value your life above children's in the moment this is where you end up.

e: I'm not truly intending to hate on anyone here because that's a terrifying situation, just frown at them rather strongly, but...well that's the way is from what I can tell.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 25, 2022

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

LeeMajors posted:

That's the argument I've always used when talking to any friends/family that are gun folks. Yes it is the people doing the killing and not the gun just doing it by itself (I loving hate that bad faith argument), but a gun is *made* to kill efficiently and there's no getting around that. If that wasn't the case, then everyone would be bowhunting.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

How about you go ahead and gently caress yourself?

Lol your world views are bad, your pattern recognition is bad, and you are a bad person.

The fantasizing about terrified cops hiding behind walls and letting kids get murdered is as bad that the Thoughts and Prayers crowd, and just as effective.

Even if we accepted the conceit of your straw man argument, no. No it would not be as bad.

Nov 6, 2002

I dunno how you defeat the intense fetishization of guns. I mean, that's the heart of this problem. There are just so many Americans whose entire identity is wrapped up in gun ownership that they are unwilling to make any change or compromise.

Unless you can affect change with those people, we will never legislate this problem away.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Yeah there are tens of thousands of americans who would happily die in a shootout with the police over giving up their guns, it's pretty hosed up

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I get the difficulty in taking on gun ownership, what exhausts me is how many folks are unwilling to even try. Someone in D&D (I know, I know) was going on about their concerns that police would be utterly unwilling and possibly even opposed to efforts to reel in gun ownership, for example a Washington county sheriff refusing to enforce gun bans, and yeah, that’s a real concern, but maybe it’s a fight we still need to have? Just shrugging and saying “well it’s too hard and scary so whatever” isn’t a good enough answer in my book, I’d rather have that fight and let it play out and possibly lose than just let things proceed as is, the status quo isn’t good enough and doing nothing only serves to embolden the gun nuts and their ilk

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Lol your world views are bad, your pattern recognition is bad, and you are a bad person.

Even if we accepted the conceit of your straw man argument, no. No it would not be as bad.

Where's the strawman? What are you saying that will actually solve anything? Bitching about police first and foremost instead of, maybe, the loving society that LETS police get outgunned might actually do something, and maybe actually putting out a solution beyond "lol gently caress the police amirite". Maybe show your sources so I can admit I'm wrong, eh? Or do you not have any and just want to sound big and smart?

But sure, my world view of "A piece of poo poo 18 yo was able to get a high power weapon online with ease, outgun cops at the door, and murdered at least 19 kids, and the cops hosed up by not going in immediately and instead waited" is bad. Surely creating stories about how terrified they were and how they would rather be murdering minorities is the better and more appropriate take here.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Thaddius the Large posted:

I get the difficulty in taking on gun ownership, what exhausts me is how many folks are unwilling to even try. Someone in D&D (I know, I know) was going on about their concerns that police would be utterly unwilling and possibly even opposed to efforts to reel in gun ownership, for example a Washington county sheriff refusing to enforce gun bans, and yeah, that’s a real concern, but maybe it’s a fight we still need to have? Just shrugging and saying “well it’s too hard and scary so whatever” isn’t a good enough answer in my book, I’d rather have that fight and let it play out and possibly lose than just let things proceed as is, the status quo isn’t good enough and doing nothing only serves to embolden the gun nuts and their ilk

Seems like there should be a mechanism for removing LEOs who refuse to enforce laws but maybe that's just me

The Schumer thing about "we're not going to try to do anything just vote in November" makes it clear Dems just see this as a fundraising opportunity though, same as with Roe

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Intruder posted:

Seems like there should be a mechanism for removing LEOs who refuse to enforce laws but maybe that's just me

The Schumer thing about "we're not going to try to do anything just vote in November" makes it clear Dems just see this as a fundraising opportunity though, same as with Roe

They were running ads for the fasc senate candidate in the PA republican primary because he'd be unelectable in the general. In a state where Trump did incredibly well. They're loving glue eaters who think they're playing 4d chess with a jenga set.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I think the hardest part of gun control isn’t just passing laws restricting ownership of guns, it’s whay to do about the 300M guns already in circulation. Gun buybacks can only do so much, and I don’t think anyone has a good solution on that.

Kind of like how Ukraine is now littered with rifles after dropping crates of guns all over and letting civilians take their pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

Thaddius the Large posted:

Let's pretend hypothetically that Democrats somehow passed a new national gun law that actually had teeth. Perhaps I'm paranoid, but I think that alone could be enough to incite die-hard gun owners to insurrection.