Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Barudak posted:

The first people retiring where their whole career was 401k is happening now and boyooooooo its not good. Its something like average amount saved of 200,000 usd

I'm sure the average is because for every one person with $1 mil there are 4 people with essentially 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Last I heard, the homeless elderly are actually going WAY up. So many boomers and Gen X took social security for granted apparently.

The figures are always changing, but at least as of not too long ago people over 65 were ~3% if the homeless population but ~15% of the total population. Any homeless seniors, and any homeless people in general, are a failure of developed economy but the US has a UBI program for retirees because the alternative would be too distasteful.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

pentyne posted:

I'm sure the average is because for every one person with $1 mil there are 4 people with essentially 0.

I dont have the median for retirees but for the age below its as you say and a bloodbath

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

limp_cheese posted:

I find this especially frustrating when it comes to swear words. I'll say "poo poo" in front of an old person and then have people yell at me for being disrespectful. I argue they have been on this earth for 60 years, they have heard the word "poo poo" before and even used it themselves.

Responding to something old here, but it's something I was thinking about today.

"Bad words" are basically just conversational lubricant.

I can code switch to anything in English as needed, but code switching requires an extra layer of filtering and is slower. Words can't hurt you.

"Yo, sup. So this is the poo poo that's hosed." vs. "Hello sir, I am First-Name Last-Name. Lovely day today, would your agree? How are you? I hate to be a bother, but the thing is malfunctioning, perhaps. Would you kindly take a look at it?"

Both sentences mean the same thing. Shut the gently caress up.

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 25, 2022

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Everyone's covered the obvious controlling and abusive behavior here, but it's weird that sales isn't "up to their standards" for the husband or his family. That's the classic job path for people to maintain a white collar lifestyle with connections while not actually doing anything productive, what's the problem?

Classic job path for new money rich. to be really hoity-toity You need a job that doesnt necessarily pay a lot more but has much higher prestige. Think Washington Post op-ed writer, tv news anchor or US senator.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Classic job path for new money rich. to be really hoity-toity You need a job that doesnt necessarily pay a lot more but has much higher prestige. Think Washington Post op-ed writer, tv news anchor or US senator.

Thing is they're very much putting the cart before the horse there in typical new money fashion. Those jobs are all daycare for failchildren, not for the upwardly mobile.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
The husband of paper rain nutball lady was a teacher and she was committed to loving up his lessons. Iirc, he started teaching from his car.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Husband did a 180 after handing me his phone

quote:

Background: I'm (f30) trying rationalize husbands (m34) reaction. There was an incident about 6 months ago of him saving a specific woman's social media profile pics. He interacts with her on a fairly regular basis. He claimed it was an accident. Suspicious, but not worth an argument. He knows it's a bit of a sore spot. A mutual friend of hers gave me her number after I'd been stressing. I asked if he had her number saved, he said no and handed me his phone telling me to check.

So, as I'm about to type it in I make the comment that it will be quick because I already have her number. He absolutely freaks out and snatches his phone. Hands shaking and just freaking out. After a back and forth he relents. And sure enough her number is saved under a mans name. He claims someone gave him the wrong number for the intended contact. I obviously don't believe him. He stormed out, and I'm just at a loss. He's going on about his privacy being invaded, but he offered the phone, and still claims he didn't know it was there, and demanding I apologize. I'm honestly starting to feel guilty and just need to know I'm not crazy.

I apologize for formatting and any grammatical errors. Mobile post.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Mx. posted:

Hands shaking and just freaking out. After a back and forth he relents. And sure enough her number is saved under a mans name. He claims someone gave him the wrong number for the intended contact.

Lol if you are gonna be a piece of poo poo, at least have a barely plausible excuse ready when you inevitably get called out. (It won't work, but you can at least put some effort in.)

There are 3,628,800 different possible combinations for a 10 digit number. Nobody is buying this dude.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Gee I wonder if there's any call or message history with this guy whose number he accidentally mistyped and saved.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
My [28F] boyfriend [27M] of three years refused to pull over while he was driving, pissed himself, and then kinda blamed me for it.

quote:

My boyfriend and I have been dating for three years. We were driving in the back roads for an hour and near the beginning of our journey he said he needed to piss. I asked him at least four or five times if he wanted to pull over, since he was driving, and he refused. When we were almost home, with a gas station in sight, he said he couldn't make it any longer and pissed his pants.

It was a very awkward ride home the rest of the way (10 minutes). I didn't mention it and helped him clean it up while he showered and put on some fresh shorts.

He then tried to leave my house to return to his own house after he got out. I asked why and he said that it was because of him peeing himself and it happened because I was mad at him over something he had said before we left from our destination (what he said wasn't relevant to the. Previous to us getting into the car, I had told him I didn't want to talk about the issue for an hour, and just wanted to cool down a bit before we discussed it, as I need some time to process things. I wasn't overly chatty during the car ride home, but I wasn't giving him the cold shoulder or anything. He said he just wanted to get home to discuss it (totally against his character, he is completely against confrontation), and that he didn't want to pull over so he could get out of the car quicker. I didn't really understand his explanation, but I haven't pushed.

Reddit, I've had a hard time dealing with this. On one hand, I know that bodily functions sometimes cannot be controlled, but he was in full control of the car and himself and refused to pull over. Then he kinda shifted the blame to me. I've had a hard time looking at him the same way. I mean he is a grown man, why is he pissing himself? I feel terrible for feeling this way, but he never acted embarrassed or anything, just kinda got defensive. I asked him if this has ever happened before, and he insisted that it hasn't.

Am I overreacting to what happened? I feel like I might be.

tl;dr: Boyfriend was driving and needed to pee. He refused to pull over and pissed his pants. Blamed me because I was upset over something he had said on why he did it.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Is pissbaby a slur on reddit

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Barudak posted:

I dont have the median for retirees but for the age below its as you say and a bloodbath
median for 65+ is $82k

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Invisible Clergy posted:

My [28F] boyfriend [27M] of three years refused to pull over while he was driving, pissed himself, and then kinda blamed me for it.

I went looking for this and apparently it was scrubbed from the Internet. The only trace of its existence I found was the update from a little bit later:

quote:

I deleted the original post because I was afraid he was going to see it, but in case it is still visible:

That thread blew up wayyy more than I thought it would. I had originally posted it before six months ago when the incident originally happened and didn't get any response - so I truly thought I was underreacting and kind of swallowed my concerns.. but over time they kept creeping up.. and I started noticing more and more that everything was my fault in his life so I decided to re-post it again. This post really affirmed what I knew but didn't want to accept for whatever reason - that the relationship had to end.

The thread made me think a lot about my life and what our life together would look like. All I could think about was this (his pissing himself) happening again in the future. I thought about us having children and how he would deal with them. I thought about having to make tough decisions with him. I thought about making tough financial decisions. I thought about having to go through tough life events like losing a parent. I realized that I would always be blamed for things that went wrong, even though they were not my fault or in my control and that he wasn't someone I could truly rely on for support. It just took him to literally, and purposefully, lose control of his own bladder for me to see this.

I broke up with him a few days after the original post. I told him I wasn't happy with the relationship anymore and that I wanted out. He didn't really fight or ask why, so it was a surprisingly easy break up. He has had other issues in his life and refuses in general the idea of therapy, so I didn't even suggest it for whatever issues he has going on when I ended it. Not really my problem or concern anymore.

Despite being together three years, I was surprised with how relieved I felt when I let it go (pun totally intended!). I think I mourned the relationship for a day or two, and I've been totally fine since. I've been hitting the gym almost every day at lunch and have had plans every night with friends or family (I generally am a social person) so I really haven't let the loss of this relationship get me down.

I guess if anything, this whole thing has really opened my eyes to trusting my gut and my instincts. I knew him pissing himself was hosed up, and I knew and felt like he was blaming me. I should have trusted my gut and ended it right then and there when he truly showed me who he was.

tl;dr: Boyfriend pissed himself and blamed me. Broke up with him a few days later. I'm totally fine.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for refusing to take care of my possible sibling??

quote:

I (F17) might have a new sibling, which is concerning because my mother is 45 years old. And pregnancy at that age is risky. I don't mind a new sibling, but I do mind that I might be the one to take care of it.

My mother would tell my sister (F22) that we would be responsible for the kid, and she would joke that the kid would be outed as the child of my sister, making the kid their grandchild, which made my sister and I uncomfortable.

I pointed out that we didn't want to take care of the possible kid (but we would probably help sometimes), since they were the ones who wanted to have a new kid. My mother and father kind of became mad at that, saying that it was our responsibility as the older ones, and I was being selfish for saying that they should be the ones to take care of the new child. They said that the possible new kid was a blessing, which I wasn't denying btw. It's just that I really don't want to take care of them.

I already feel exhausted mentally and physically with the stress from school as well as the anxiety of not knowing what I want to do with my life, and I don't want to add taking care of a child to one of my worries. Plus, I can barely take care of myself. But I still feel a bit bad that I was called selfish for not wanting to take care of the possible new kid, so AITA?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

r/relationships: he is a grown man, why is he pissing himself?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for telling my mom her surgery isn't my responsibility?

quote:

I (19F) got a job at 15, and started my own college fund. because I had been told by my mom (45f) since I was young that she would NOT pay for my college for me. and that I'm on my own.

My mom helped me set up a bank account that I would not have access to until college, and the majority of my paycheques went into it. I wasn't working full time so I didn't make bank. but I had a good chunk, enough that I was feeling secure. id still need some loans but not nearly as much.

a while ago my mom mentioned a bonus she got at work, and told me she was thinking of getting some "work done." I supported her because I don't care what she does to her body. recently, she got it all done. Botox, fillers, breast augmentation, and like 5 sessions of this body sculpting thing.

yesterday I heard from a few colleges I got accepted to, my mom got very quiet and admitted to using my money for her plastic surgery. I lost it, and I told her I was going to explore my legal options, i said i wasn't responsible for funding her surgery and that I was moving out within the next week because she violated me and stole from me. she tried to fight it but I ended up leaving and going to my friends.

my father and extended family keep calling and texting me me and saying its not a big deal. they keep saying I can just take out student loans. my dad said my mom raised me, and I live at home rent free, so I pretty much owe her. but I think I worked hard to get my money and i should sue my mom if I can. but maybe I'm just being stubborn?? AITA?

EDIT: i meant I live w a reduced rate of rent not rent free, so sorry for thayt

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Call the police, your mom stole from you

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Piell posted:

AITA for refusing to take care of my possible sibling??

Hopefully these two sisters can get the hell out of Dodge before that baby is born. And if they want to do damage control early, probably wouldn't hurt to post on social media their mom's joke about one of them actually birthing this baby.

Go scorched Earth.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Upgrade posted:

Call the police, your mom stole from you

Not that it wouldn't be extremely cool and good for this tereible woman to be repeatedly shot in the face, but the kid should probably find out what kind of assets she has and the terms of her will before calling the cops. It can be kind of tricky to recover a debt from a corpse.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Would either of those involve remote interviews? It seems like she's going for a corporate sales role.

Not to say that the husband isn't massive piece of poo poo for his behavior, just that her aspiration for a sales job doesn't make her sympathetic.

Yeah she should get a VP job at Google.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

jazzyhattrick posted:

Not that it wouldn't be extremely cool and good for this tereible woman to be repeatedly shot in the face, but the kid should probably find out what kind of assets she has and the terms of her will before calling the cops. It can be kind of tricky to recover a debt from a corpse.

Send a repo team in to get the new tits and the botox and whatnot back.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Runcible Cat posted:

Send a repo team in to get the new tits and the botox and whatnot back.

Preferably using a rusty ice cream scoop and no anaesthetic. People who steal from their own children are the worst kind of scum.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Butcher posted:

Responding to something old here, but it's something I was thinking about today.

"Bad words" are basically just conversational lubricant.

I can code switch to anything in English as needed, but code switching requires an extra layer of filtering and is slower. Words can't hurt you.

"Yo, sup. So this is the poo poo that's hosed." vs. "Hello sir, I am First-Name Last-Name. Lovely day today, would your agree? How are you? I hate to be a bother, but the thing is malfunctioning, perhaps. Would you kindly take a look at it?"

Both sentences mean the same thing. Shut the gently caress up.
No, this is an actual generational change. When you or I say "gently caress" it's a general-purpose intensifier. It's a loving beautiful day; gently caress, I'm sorry to hear that; that's a real headfuck.

To a previous generation, swearing was both an indicator of intense anger ("I don't give a drat") and inherently transgressive. There were words you didn't say in front of the ladies, or in front of the children, or in front of a priest. When my mom said "drat" it was rare, and it meant she was extremely angry. When my dad said "drat", he was just angry.

When I say "oh, gently caress, it's trash day" it's just trash day. I wouldn't have said that in front of my mother, even when we were both adults, because she'd be horrified. Same word, but context matters. Context changes depending on time and location. Words do not have single connotations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
In all fairness, people that are in their sixties now were in their twenties in the 1980s. It's not like those were a gentleman wears a hat to the cinema days.

And teen witch and I would appreciate not wishing people to be murdered by the state over something like grand larceny, especially when that's a common thing in the US.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 25, 2022

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I don't care for casual swearing but that's personal taste. It's funny to watch my kids, 19 and 16, come into it and test my boundaries and realize I don't give a gently caress.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Invisible Clergy posted:

lol The margins of country roads are the wayfarer’s urinal.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for complaining about the cameras in the house, and how my dad is using them?

quote:

To discourage home invaders, my SD decided to buy cameras. Let me tell you the layout of the cameras

Camera #1: facing the back door Camera#2: facing the front door Camera #3: facing the back fence Camera #4: facing into the kitchen Camera #5: a straight shot through the dining room, hallway, and part of the kitchen Camera #6: facing the entirety of the living room.

I understand that the cameras are ment to discourage people from invading our home. However, I don't really like how many there are, and how they are positioned. I'm not trying to sneak out of the house or anything like that, but it just feels like an invasion of privacy. For additional context, my SD and mother are out of the house all week except for the weekends.

The main issue is how my SD utilizes the cameras. First off, only he's allowed to have access to the cameras. Second, he says he uses them to make sure that my brother and I get our chores done. This is fair, but he continues to use them even after we have done our chores. I'll be doing some innocuous thing, like watching videos on my phone for a couple hours, and he'll bring it up during a later conversation to complain about it. Thirdly, and in my opinion the worst one, is he'll use the cameras against my mother, brothers and I. Let me explain.

The cameras in question are able to pick up audio. However, the recording of the audio is pretty lovely. Unless you are near the camera and are talking at a slightly louder volume, the audio will sound raspy. One time (yes, this has occurred more than once) my SD was on one of his "hissy fit binges", as I like to call them. I'm walking and talking to my mother, who is seated underneath the dining room camera. I was talking poo poo about my BIO dad, and said something like "Yeah, I'd totally want to talk to you after all these years DaD" and then I walked out of the room to go do something. Unbeknownst to me, while my SD was sulking in his room, he was listening to us over the cameras. As previously stated, the audio is poo poo. So he essentially heard "mumble mumble mumble DaD" and assumed I was talking about him, and totally flipped his lid.

This has been going on for three years. The other day I complained about how I didn't like how he was "creeping" on us. I understand that the cameras are primarily to keep us safe, but I want some damned privacy. AITA for getting upset and calling him a creep?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Piell posted:

AITA for complaining about the cameras in the house, and how my dad is using them?

quote:

I understand that the cameras are primarily to keep us safe

sure they are

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Piell posted:

STEP-DAD IS
WATCHING YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Beautiful phrase.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

I had to take a two hour trip for work the week I was doing water loading prior to a cut and I got a call from the company that monitors our work car's telematics and was asked why I had stopped every 15 -20 minutes on the side of the road. Not really a big deal, if I didn't piss myself no reason he should have

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Mx. posted:

AITA for telling my mom her surgery isn't my responsibility?

It is actually your parents' legal obligation to provide you with shelter. Letting you live in their house rent free as a minor is actually the bare minimum they can do before they are criminally negligent. But they didn't even do that. According to the comments, they started charging rent at age 17.

Also, no matter how much debt is owed, stealing is wrong and also illegal. Get a lawyer.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

Also, no matter how much debt is owed, stealing is wrong and also illegal. Get a lawyer.

Want to be even more outraged? It's probably not "stealing" in a way that's easy to prove/prosecute.

quote:

My mom helped me set up a bank account that I would not have access to until college, and the majority of my paycheques went into it.

Sounds like the mother made a bank account in her own name and had the kid deposit checks. Even if it was a joint account everything in the account belongs to both people equally, not 50% each.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Motronic posted:

Want to be even more outraged? It's probably not "stealing" in a way that's easy to prove/prosecute.

Sounds like the mother made a bank account in her own name and had the kid deposit checks. Even if it was a joint account everything in the account belongs to both people equally, not 50% each.

Yeah, she needs to find as much documentation about the agreement as she can. Text logs talking about the college fund, anything. And also everything needs to be documented going forward.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Beachcomber posted:

The husband of paper rain nutball lady was a teacher and she was committed to loving up his lessons. Iirc, he started teaching from his car.

I'm sorry, the what lady? I don't think I've heard about this before.

Anyways, here's what starts off as a Pete story, but then takes a twist into anti-Pete territory:

My girlfriend (F29) is in Paris for the weekend studying, instead she is going out with a guy she used to date and partying her rear end off

quote:

Hey Reddit,

My girlfriend of two years is in Paris for three days because she had some courses there (we live 4h out) and told me she was going to stay at a hostel and keep in touch.

She got there the first night and texted me that she was going out with a "friend who she regrettably hosed like 4 years ago". I asked her for some more info and she had met him at a summer camp and became good friends, but at some point got very drunk and ended up sleeping with him. I told her it worried me but she insisted they were just gonna have some dinner and get back early. She 'ran out of data' and didn't respond to my messages until midnight, when she said she made it to the hostel but was pretty drunk.

Today she woke up texting me she was not feeling comfortable sleeping in the hostel and was going to text a (female) friend to stay there, I told her it was a good idea and she messaged me (on whatsapp, which requires data) that she got lost in the metro around 7.30 at night. After that nothing, didn't return my calls and didn't text me until 12 when she called to say she noticed my calls and sent a text but it didn't come through. Worried sick for hours and having called her a few times, texted her friend, ... I got upset and told her I was going to sleep.

I got a text from her at 8 in the morning saying she made it safe to her friend's house and from the friend I contacted that she was there, also around 8 in the morning.

I'm honestly baffled and feel so confused and lost right now. I have absolutely no idea how to respond or what to do when she wakes up and finally returns my calls. What do I do?

Break up with her, obviously. But some redditor dug up some old posts from OP:

OP from 9 months ago posted:

If a girl starts to blow you but is very bad at it, how do you respond?

Had this happen recently with one night stand and didn't know at all what to do really. Tried gently guiding her but as that failed I just kind of pushed her off and went to town on her seeing as I do really enjoy foreplay (the receiving and the giving).

Do you actually give them tips? Seems kind of rude on a one night stand. Communication would be key in a relationship but since we don't have any I found it weird.

Thoughts on this, guys?

OP from 1 year ago posted:

TIFU by drinking red wine on a Tinder date

So this happened last night but I am currently on my walk of shame home. Feels like the perfect opportunity to type it out so I might at one point have a good laugh about this.

So 2 weeks ago I matched a girl on Tinder and we hit it off quite instantly, I asked to meet up and she agreed happily. We went for a long walk in the park with her dogs to get a chance to have a proper talk before going back to her place to have a couple drinks.

Things went swimmingly! I really like this girl! Managed a walk of 2 hours without any awkward silences or me saying stupid things so we went to her appartment to drinks some wine and warm up. Halfway through the second bottle of excellent red wine things get kinda hot and heavy and we take it to the bedroom.

All was good and fun until at some point I start feeling... not so well. I remember in this moment that there's a reason I never drink red wine, my stomach does not agree AT ALL with red wine. I need to throw up, like NOW! I throw her off me and run to the bathroom and start hauling up all the wine. She comes to check on my and I am buttnaked hugging her toilet, trying to tell her how sorry I am in between the waves of liquid I am spewing out.

She was very understanding, brought me some water and told me I could make it up to her in the morning. Morning come and I have spent half the night hugging the toilet but gently caress it this girl is beautiful and fun so I man up and get back to bed with her. NOW MY loving DICK WON'T GET HARD! I am just exhausted and embarrased and then little me decides to just totally give up and ruin any chance I had of turning things around.

I just get out of the bed, take my clothes and want to go home. Her dogs used my clothes as a loving pillow after running around in the mud so my jeans and jacket are dirty af. gently caress it, put em on, walk through the city to a bus stop to get back home, puke another 2 times on the way there, looking like a loving hobo and people asking me if I'm doing alright.

I today learned the meaning of the walk of shame, and I'm gonna take a wild guess and say she doesn't exactly want to see me anymore either...

Fml

TL ; DR: went on a date, drank red wine, my stomach does not agree with red wine, spent the night hugging her toilet and making a fool out of myself. Will not be going on a second date to say the least...

EDIT: I just woke up and this post got a lot more attention than I had anticipated. I didn't expect all the relationship advice to say the least, I just expected some good laughs. Anyway I did end up texting her in the evening apologizing and reassuring her that I was the problem and definitely not her. She agreed to meet up some other time (without the red wine). Absolutely love how all you guys are trying to make me feel better tho, thanks to all of you!

OP defends himself:

OP from today posted:

You went in deep here but I will reply for clarity though.

We have not officially been dating for two years, only a couple months. We met two years ago but kept it non-exclusive and not official because I had my reservations. We have however been an official couple for 4/5 months now.

I shortened it in my original post but you are right to point this out.

Other redditor posted:

So you set the standard for being non-committal and loving other people. Hello chickens, thank you for coming home to roost.

Not that people deserve to be cheated on. But also like, bruh, maybe recognize your own part in setting up this unhealthy relationship. And maybe not call her your (ex) girlfriend of two years if you aren't going to commit for most of it.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for drinking a half gallon of milk at my sister's wedding?

quote:

Ok i know this sounds pretty loving absurd but this is genuinely something my family is fighting about.

I quit drinking 4 months ago and my oldest sister Emmy's wedding was last weekend.

My younger sister Sara has been really supportive of me getting sober and she actually packed me a little cooler bag of non alcoholic drinks for the wedding when she knew there would be an open bar and wanted me to have other options.

She's 15 and doesn't have a car or anything yet so she just packed this bag with drinks from around the house. But it was still sweet

Anyway, at the wedding, I look in the bag and there's a few iced coffees, a few juices, and a half gallon of milk..

Now, she knows me a little too well. I'd drink milk with pretty much every meal, I know it's a little weird for an adult but what can I say, I like it?

So I poured myself some when everyone else was drinking alcohol. And I guess I was feeling nervous and a little tense being in a group where most people were drinking heavily for the first time since I've gotten sober, so I kept fidgeting and nervously drinking from my cup. Honestly a lot like how I'd compulively drink alcohol in the past.

Before I knew it my uncle was like "drat you just drank all that milk?"and he was pointing out the empty bottle. I was like "drat, guess I did" and my uncle started calling everyone's attention to that? Which was kinda embarrassing because I'd just been doing it to avoid liquor.

But I guess it became a running joke among everyone there, like people just started talking about it? IDK why, it honestly doesn't seem that interesting to me.

But anyway, the day after the wedding, Emmy confronted me saying that she didn't appreciate the "stunt"I pulled. I was confused and she said that the heard I drank a gallon of milk and didn't puke. I said it was a half gallon. She didn't find that funny and was convinced I was doing it as a joke.

She doesn't believe me that I wasn't trying to draw attention or play some dumb prank. Like even as a prank it makes no sense. What's funny about drinking a slightly weird amount of milk? It's kinda boring

But my parents are taking her side and think I did something lovely.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Piell posted:

I understand that the cameras are primarily to keep us safe,

Even if the cameras were intended to keep them safe they aren't I fail to see how they would do so.

I mean, say a burglar breaks in. You are going to have all of this nifty footage of the thief plundering your house (and/or assaulting you) but it's not like that footage going to deter anyone. Help arrest someone, maybe, but not deter anyone.

also,

Soylent Pudding posted:

No you aren't. Your family is poo poo for calling attention to you doing whatever you needed to do to stay sober and stay alive.

When I got sober ten years ago, I started drinking milk and water like crazy and one point I drank so much water while hanging with friends at a bar that I ended up getting tipsy from hyponatremia. After that I switched to milk and bartenders would think I was some kind of rear end in a top hat when I'd ask them for a pint of two-percent. Milk is awesome.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 25, 2022

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Dr. Stab posted:

It is actually your parents' legal obligation to provide you with shelter. Letting you live in their house rent free as a minor is actually the bare minimum they can do before they are criminally negligent. But they didn't even do that. According to the comments, they started charging rent at age 17.

It's morally stealing, but probably not illegal. Assuming it was a joint rather than custodial account (and the former is more common), the mother can legally withdraw whatever she wants.

Dr. Stab posted:

Yeah, she needs to find as much documentation about the agreement as she can. Text logs talking about the college fund, anything. And also everything needs to be documented going forward.

Unfortunately none of that really matters if the mother was a signatory to a joint account and it wasn't a custodial account in the daughter's name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for "embarrassing" my bf in front of everyone

quote:

I 24F and my bf 26M have been together for just over 2 years now. This incident occurred at a family party for his sister's graduation, during the sit down meal section. There was a lot of people there, including his friends.

As he gets drunk, his "humour" becomes very mean. Constantly making jokes about me and putting me down. He says it's British humour, but I've not seen any other Brits do this.

Throughout the night he's making jokes about me which get progressively worse. Someone smashed a glass so he told me to stop singing for example, which is fine and I don't care about jokes like that. But then he and his friends started talking about his ex gf, particularly her rear end and how it was the best rear end they've seen. My bf then said to me "if I could have my exes body and your brain then I'd be winning at life".

So then I said something along the lines of "you don't hear me comparing your tiny dick compared to my exes" and "if she's that hot, she would need something more to satisfy her, so no wonder she broke up with you"

He went so mad and stormed off. I left soon after. He, his friends, and some of his family are now calling me an rear end in a top hat for this. When I reply saying he did the same thing, they say it's different for guys who are more sensitive about their size. Which is just pathetic.

I know it was a petty thing for me to do, but AITA?

EDIT: Do not message me on here about your dick. I don't care about size, I said this cus I knew it would be a good comeback. Pls respect that.