Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Safety Dance posted:

If they're coming from Ireland, it will seem perfectly reasonable.

Rural Irish drive like they're taking part in a rally stage... Single-track roads, no people and distance to get absolutely anywhere has inspired a devil may care attitude to road safety. loving terrifying. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
I would suggest getting the most fuel efficient but more importantly, comfortable car if you plan on doing any sort of long distance driving in the US instead of a bike anyway. Depending on where you're going you might be in that car for 6 hours without anything more than a porta-potty at a roadworks spot in the middle of North Dakota, so you're going to want to make sure you have lots of food and entertainment plus piss bottles for the kids in the back. Also a change of underwear for your 5yo niece who is too afraid to pop a squat on the side of the road even though there hasn't been another car for the past 40 minutes. Although to be fair that was a lil sketchy to me too, how the gently caress are you gonna drive for almost an hour and not see a single other car?

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 08:58 on May 25, 2022

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

My sons and I did 6200+ miles across 15 or so states last year and we didn’t even make it to the west coast - we took 80 west and then went south after Yellowstone. I’ve done a 9000 mile road trip in the US and only managed 21 states.

In October we did Tail of the Dragon which was 1900 miles round trip, in essentially a long weekend.

Next time I think we will go south to TN and take 40 west. I know there are big stretches of nothing there but it will at least be new.

So yeah. USA BIG.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
There's a incredible irony here somewhere that I have never ever been told "yes" in the US when asking if something is within walking distance, when 9 out of 10 times it turned out to be easily walkable.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I used to walk to where I had to hand in a rent check for my first apartment in the US because electronic funds transfers were clearly too futuristic for the company that owned the building. It was about 2 miles each way and people would react as if I was running a marathon to pay the rent every month.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

There's a incredible irony here somewhere that I have never ever been told "yes" in the US when asking if something is within walking distance, when 9 out of 10 times it turned out to be easily walkable.

People drive to the mailbox at the end of their driveway dude.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

insta posted:

I've seen rural places where the mailboxes are in clusters a mile or more from the houses they're for, so Americans driving to their mailbox isn't always because of laziness.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Large Testicles posted:

You could do something like it, but the whole length would suck on a bike unless you're gonna take like a month to do it. I'd suggest going out west to like Colarado/Utah/Wyoming and renting one for a few day ride or something like that. Stop off and camp somewhere if that's something you're into. Shitload less traffic and much better scenery than the big coastal cities.

That sounds like a lovely trip. Start somewhere just east of the Rockies like Denver and go through Colorado Utah Nevada and end up in SF or LA.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

insta posted:

I live in a pretty small neighborhood, without fail every afternoon there will be a row of SUVs idling for half an hour waiting for the school bus to drop their kids off, so they can drive them home. No single house in the entire neighborhood is more than 1/4 mile from the bus stop. It's absurd.

Like maybe in the dead of winter sure but this goes on year round.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
My street has community mailboxes. Like 9 houses in one unit.

It's directly across from my driveway so I just walk but I see quite a few of my neighbors drive to it. And not always on the way to/from work or another place.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

opengl128 posted:

I live in a pretty small neighborhood, without fail every afternoon there will be a row of SUVs idling for half an hour waiting for the school bus to drop their kids off, so they can drive them home. No single house in the entire neighborhood is more than 1/4 mile from the bus stop. It's absurd.

It is not unusual for schools to not allow kids to walk to or home from school.

Not saying that’s the case there but it’s a thing.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Phanatic posted:

The issue is the parents not walking to get their kids.

Im really close to my kids school and i see it here too.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Soon you'll need to pick your kids up in an APC, them running from cover to cover with their heads down making for the hatch while you lay down suppressing fire and call in support from circling gunships.

I'm only barely joking. :(

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
When I was growing up in super rural Northern Wisconsin, I had a two-mile walk down the dirt road to our house to get to the county road, then a sixteen-mile ride on the school bus to elementary school and junior high. Oneida County was pretty empty in the 60s and early 70s.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Phanatic posted:

I'm talking about the (very short) walk from the bus stop to their house.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

BigPaddy posted:

I used to walk to where I had to hand in a rent check for my first apartment in the US because electronic funds transfers were clearly too futuristic for the company that owned the building. It was about 2 miles each way and people would react as if I was running a marathon to pay the rent every month.
I used to live a 10 minute walk from work in an area that has sidewalks(which isn't a given around here - where I live now, there's stuff that would be in walking distance except for the part where I'd be gambling on not getting murdered by cars going 50mph with no sidewalks to seperate us & no pedestrian signals for crossing said 50mph traffic) and some people acted like I was ultra brave for walking home at night. In the suburbs. I have no idea what they thought was going to happen.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Haifisch posted:

I used to live a 10 minute walk from work in an area that has sidewalks(which isn't a given around here - where I live now, there's stuff that would be in walking distance except for the part where I'd be gambling on not getting murdered by cars going 50mph with no sidewalks to seperate us & no pedestrian signals for crossing said 50mph traffic) and some people acted like I was ultra brave for walking home at night. In the suburbs. I have no idea what they thought was going to happen.

You might catch a chill!

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Imperador do Brasil posted:

My sons and I did 6200+ miles across 15 or so states last year and we didn’t even make it to the west coast - we took 80 west and then went south after Yellowstone. I’ve done a 9000 mile road trip in the US and only managed 21 states.

In October we did Tail of the Dragon which was 1900 miles round trip, in essentially a long weekend.

Next time I think we will go south to TN and take 40 west. I know there are big stretches of nothing there but it will at least be new.

So yeah. USA BIG.

40 once you hit Texas is boring as gently caress but there's some cool views and stops before that. The only interesting stop in Texas is the steakhouse where you can try to do the 3lb steak eating challenge.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

There is Cadillac Ranch outside Amarillo. Will be taking that route from Phoenix to Memphis in a few weeks to do power tour and I remember how dull it was doing it the other way last year coming from NH.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

carry on then posted:

Here in SE Minnesota there seems to be an unwritten rule about how to use a freeway onramp (straight ramps, not cloverleaf):

1. Accelerate your GMC® Acadia™ to no more than 40 MPH on the ramp.
2. Maintain this speed until you have merged with traffic (most on ramps here join an existing lane rather than introduce a new one so you will be merging with full speed traffic; do not let them intimidate you into going any faster on the ramp).
3. Upon fully merging with the freeway, apply 1% more throttle until you are doing 5 MPH over the speed limit.
4. Now move to the middle lane and camp there until your exit comes up.

That happens up here in NW Minnesota too. Drives me bonkers.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

opengl128 posted:

Like maybe in the dead of winter sure but this goes on year round.

In the previous apartment I lived in, people would drive to the entrance and wait there for the bus to drop off their kids.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Large Testicles posted:

40 once you hit Texas is boring as gently caress but there's some cool views and stops before that. The only interesting stop in Texas is the steakhouse where you can try to do the 3lb steak eating challenge.

All of Texas is pretty poo poo if you're just driving through, but in my opinion OK is even worse. I'll say I kinda liked the 4 or 5 days I was in San Antonio for a trade show, probably 15 years ago or so. I live in MA and have done cross country a few times, one of which started in Northern Cali and I actually got to see a sign, Begin I-80. It's kind of demoralizing when you know you basically have to drive the whole length of it to get home. Going west from here it's like semi-interesting, except like I-80 in PA, until you hit Chicago and then after that you're in bore town. It's proof the Earth isn't flat because you can't actually see the Rockies from Chicago because there is nothing tall enough in the way to obscure the view.

Oh and for America is big as poo poo talk, I've done the southern routes across as well and if you go I-20 or I-10 you can literally wake up in Texas, drive for 10 hours, stopping only for food and fuel, and still be in Texas.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

bigbillystyle posted:

Oh and for America is big as poo poo talk, I've done the southern routes across as well and if you go I-20 or I-10 you can literally wake up in Texas, drive for 10 hours, stopping only for food and fuel, and still be in Texas.

I drove a move from Southern California to New England. Day 1 was east of San Diego CA to Las Cruces NM (just short of El Paso) in ~10 hours. The second day was 10 hours just to get to Dallas. At least I didn't make the mistake I made when moving to California where I stopped a day 5 hours west of Dallas metro and was only in Big Spring Texas. My stay at a La Quinta cost me $219 a nice because it was so much in the middle of nowhere.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

bigbillystyle posted:

My favorite Texas metric is that you can drive from Marshall, Texas (which is on the East side near Louisiana) to El Paso, Texas. Then, when you get to El Paso, you're closer to Los Angeles than you are to Marshall, Texas.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

bigbillystyle posted:

if you go I-20 or I-10 you can literally wake up in Texas, drive for 10 hours, stopping only for food and fuel, and still be in Texas.

I live in Mass as well and I've owned cars like that before.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

meatpimp posted:

My favorite Texas metric is that you can drive from Marshall, Texas (which is on the East side near Louisiana) to El Paso, Texas. Then, when you get to El Paso, you're closer to Los Angeles than you are to Marshall, Texas.

Bristol, TN is closer to Windsor, ON (397 miles) than Memphis, TN (446 miles).

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Driving from New York to Detroit is faster than driving Detroit to the northern tip of Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Zero One posted:

Driving from New York to Detroit is faster than driving Detroit to the northern tip of Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

But in fairness Wisconsin should have invaded and annexed that poo poo a long time ago.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I’ve done the Kilgore, Tx to Las Cruces trip a few times. Yeah, it’s pretty long.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

bigbillystyle posted:

That sounds like a nightmare

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Phanatic posted:

But in fairness Wisconsin should have invaded and annexed that poo poo a long time ago.

You think we want Iron Mountain? Are you insane?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Someday all the Midwest will be Greater Michigan.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Phanatic posted:

Hey, we won it fair and square in our war with Ohio!

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

That sounds like a nightmare

While I was driving across west Texas on I-20, I was passing a car and saw the tread separate from one of their tires. Had to just keep driving. So much tire debris that you just have to deal with avoiding.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

Bristol, TN is closer to Windsor, ON (397 miles) than Memphis, TN (446 miles).

I live near Bristol, and a few months ago there were a couple of out of town industrial workers at my local watering hole. One of them asked if we were near Memphis and the whole drat bar started laughing.

TN borders 8 states with 3 others pretty close. It doesn’t have much girth but it does have some length.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 26, 2022

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
And if you live in Trelleborg, Swedens southernmost city, you live closer to Rome, Italy, than Swedens northernmost town, Karesuando.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Salami Surgeon posted:

In the previous apartment I lived in, people would drive to the entrance and wait there for the bus to drop off their kids.

That poo poo drove me insane. You basically couldn't enter or leave my complex anywhere near bus time because the parents would block the exit and then do u-turns into the entrance. I could squeak by with a bike before the kids were dropped off, but there was too much of a risk of getting hit until they completely cleared out once the kids were around. All those folks trying to protect their kids were literally causing the risk!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I had someone at a gas station pull forward to the hood of my car while I was pumping gas, making me have to reverse to leave. Thats lovely. If a station is busy and you have to wait drive your car around until you're facing the same direction as the person in front of you. :argh:

Cage fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 26, 2022

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cage posted:

I had someone at a gas station pull forward to the hood of my car while I was pumping gas, making me have to reverse to leave. Its not me, thats lovely right? If a station is busy and you have to wait drive your car around until you're facing the same direction as the person in front of you. :argh:
If they had their filler on the same side as you and had instead pulled around and backed in with the same result would you be less annoyed?

I don't really consider a normal gas station to be directional since you can generally enter from multiple sides. Maybe a highway rest stop where literally all traffic is coming from the same entrance and leaving through the same exit, but IMO a normal city gas station is just a series of parking spaces wrapped around islands. Being able to pull through is common but not a guarantee.

Also was there another space the person could have gone to where they wouldn't have been "in the way" or are you saying they should have waited to fuel up until you were done just to let you pull through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I saw someone trying to enter a Costco gas station from the exit one time and get into an argument with the attendants. So nothing is off the table when it comes to human shittiness.