Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm now having to fight bosses significantly above my gear level and its not going well. Do I need to grind the previous bosses to get more books so I can get full Merciless?

Books don't only drop from bosses, I've gotten them from pretty much any human enemy, chests, boxes, etc. You can also grind them for paper to do the random research and hope for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I'm gonna become Edward Cullen

V Rising armor set spoiler

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 24, 2022

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
V Rising really stops loving around in the late 40s/early 50s. Octavius and the Frost Terror are really tough and tightly tuned fights. Some tuning is definitely needed on any fight where adds are summoned based on the number of players. 4 players on Octavius or Meredith feels really bad when there is suddenly an army of tough adds to kill. Those same fights with 1 player feel easier because there are less archers to constantly dodge.

The game is surprisingly well made for an early access survival game. Some things feel slightly grindy at first but then you quickly get the ability to farm or make most of the resources and the grind goes away. Servants are highly valuable and further reduce any chore feeling of getting resources.

I really hope they build on the game from here. It is shockingly good for $20.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I had no issue with the terror once I used the skeleton barrier since he targets them fairly often. A lot of the fights feel like you need to learn what kind of skill setup the game particularly wants you to have. In particular defense tools seem very important.

Also V is the only survival game where I ended up genuinely really caring about making my base look nice. I got so excited when I unlocked fancy carpets.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
So consensus on V Rising is game is good?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

KingKapalone posted:

So consensus on V Rising is game is good?

V Rising is a pretty good arpg but it's not much of a survival game if that is what you are looking for. It's more of a Valheim style survival game where getting better things gives you buffs but if you can easily live forever off the easy to kill wolves that spawn outside your front door if you wanted to, and your real goal is climbing the tech tree and taking down bosses.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I think it's a strong, good value (excellent combat and game feel, nice visuals, great bosses and a real sense of danger your first time through) pve game with currently very little replayability. That last bit may change though they've basically said nothing regarding future plans so it's hard to say. The price is an incredible steal though.

The pvp game is something else entirely which I absolutely adore, but I know a lot of gamers on SA are more concerned with pve in games like this in general. My feelings on the different elements are pretty mixed, like I think how it handles offline raiding is currently quite bad while the actual pvp combat and how uneasy you feel when you see a rat scurry by is amazing, but ultimately the whole package is great.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
My friends and I played more Valheim than we worked the first two weeks it was out so it sounds like we would like it. We're more interested in building stuff and accomplishing goals as a group. Overall we're much more into ARPGs than survival.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I will say the building, while it lets you make really cool looking castles, is rather prescriptive and utilitarian. I don't mind since base building and management is honestly my least favorite part of these sorts of games but I've definitely seen people in the discord or on social media say they're disappointed with how you can't make multi-tiered castles or that you can't stack boxes or arrange coffins in the shape of a dick or whatever.

e: while im V Posting, if anyone is interested in starting a pvp server to go with the existing pve SA one, let me know. i think my ideal settings at this point would have like 50/50 day-night cycles, no extra durability loss on death, and drastically reduced castle raid time (or possible none, still not sure). or if anyone has recommendations for a good server that's anything like that I'd be interested!

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 24, 2022

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Man, time not passing when you stop playing a private game is good because your castle has no chance to decay, but makes the super safe servant excursions take a full 24 hours of playing. I haven't even played that long yet. Yields a ton of resources though it looks like.

Countblanc posted:

Ie: while im V Posting, if anyone is interested in starting a pvp server to go with the existing pve SA one, let me know. i think my ideal settings at this point would have like 50/50 day-night cycles, no extra durability loss on death, and drastically reduced castle raid time (or possible none, still not sure). or if anyone has recommendations for a good server that's anything like that I'd be interested!

I would play on a pvp server for sure. I looked at some of the settings and in the late game there are items of which only 1 of exist in the world and all the players compete for them. That sounds pretty rad.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Countblanc posted:

I think it's a strong, good value (excellent combat and game feel, nice visuals, great bosses and a real sense of danger your first time through) pve game with currently very little replayability. That last bit may change though they've basically said nothing regarding future plans so it's hard to say. The price is an incredible steal though.

The pvp game is something else entirely which I absolutely adore, but I know a lot of gamers on SA are more concerned with pve in games like this in general. My feelings on the different elements are pretty mixed, like I think how it handles offline raiding is currently quite bad while the actual pvp combat and how uneasy you feel when you see a rat scurry by is amazing, but ultimately the whole package is great.

Even without much replayability I'm easily getting $20 worth out of this game if you subscribe to the one dollar one hour theory of game value.

Also I'm probably going to spend an obscene amount of time building and optimizing my castle.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

Even without much replayability I'm easily getting $20 worth out of this game if you subscribe to the one dollar one hour theory of game value.

Also I'm probably going to spend an obscene amount of time building and optimizing my castle.

That theory sounds like it was made up by morons tbqh

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Probably but a lot of people still use it for whatever reason

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

man the third tier of zones don't gently caress around, I was not expecting that difficulty spike at all.

Did manage to kill the spider queen at least so I can start making the new set of armor.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

IcePhoenix posted:

Probably but a lot of people still use it for whatever reason

Gaming on a budget. I know i'll spend x amount of hours gaming per month and that I can't buy loads of games (we've all been down that hole before) so i'll try to keep to a time per cash budget. Game has to be kinda special to break it.

A dollar is a little low, though. Probably made sense 15 years ago

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Keplerth came out of early access this week, and while it's not a hardcore survival game it does scratch the itch. It looks like Rimworld but plays more like Terraria. All in all pretty fun for under 15 bucks.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/747200/Keplerth/

quote:

You woke up and found yourself lying in a hibernation pod. You have no food, no clothes, no nothing. You can gather resources, craft useful items, build your own home, tame wild animals, fight strange creatures to survive in this dangerous world.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

man the third tier of zones don't gently caress around, I was not expecting that difficulty spike at all.

Did manage to kill the spider queen at least so I can start making the new set of armor.

Definitely feel like this is the biggest difficulty spike so far in the game. Also the biggest grind, since instead of grinding one area for material, you need to be all over to get everything you need (I hate looting/making scourgestones) and it does feel like quite a grind. I should soon have enough to make at least the basic T3 reaper and some armor, which hopefully helps a bit.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TeaJay posted:

Definitely feel like this is the biggest difficulty spike so far in the game. Also the biggest grind, since instead of grinding one area for material, you need to be all over to get everything you need (I hate looting/making scourgestones) and it does feel like quite a grind. I should soon have enough to make at least the basic T3 reaper and some armor, which hopefully helps a bit.

the fun part is going to be all my friends relying on me to help gear them up because I am way ahead of them and also kicked them out of my house so I could actually get things done without them taking my stuff for their own ventures

My thralls are gonna be living in those caves

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I have mostly skipped the servant system because a) I can never find any peeps high enough level of blood and b) when I do, they always die on the way home since I built like right next to the starting teleporter

And it's why my prison cage sits empty as well. I would actually have some decent gear to give them now. But it's just such a hassle getting one intact.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Two hour timer servant missions are probably the most efficient way to get scourge stones out of the church of the damned. Eventually you hit a sweet spot where you don't really need more since darksilver actually has very limited uses after you make your first weapon and the anvil. It's not used in the high tier armor or amulets at all.

You can also get a bunch out of the two abandoned villages in the cursed forest, but they'll be contested quite often in my experience.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TeaJay posted:

I have mostly skipped the servant system because a) I can never find any peeps high enough level of blood and b) when I do, they always die on the way home since I built like right next to the starting teleporter

And it's why my prison cage sits empty as well. I would actually have some decent gear to give them now. But it's just such a hassle getting one intact.

They can keep up with your horse and will follow you through caves, if that helps

Demiurge4 posted:

Two hour timer servant missions are probably the most efficient way to get scourge stones out of the church of the damned. Eventually you hit a sweet spot where you don't really need more since darksilver actually has very limited uses after you make your first weapon and the anvil. It's not used in the high tier armor or amulets at all.

You can also get a bunch out of the two abandoned villages in the cursed forest, but they'll be contested quite often in my experience.

I have the benefit of playing on a private server with some friends so thanks for the tips! Also I'm sure I'll need Dark Silver for some sort of castle decoration that I need to have for reasons just because.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
My Time At Sandrock releases in 4 hours- but it sounds like it's... unfinished? They're doing the full early access cycle? Is it valheim unfinished where I should just play it now, or is it, I don't know, normal early access game unfinished where I should wait a year before giving it a shot?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

Got enough Dark silver to make the Anvil, but I'm currently stuck at the Harpy matriarch boss. Have the T3 basic armor and the dark silver reaper, but it's basically a bullet hell fight with tons of stuff on the screen and lots of adds all shooting more projectiles and I just can't beat it.

Mainly I want to beat her to unlock jewel upgrading so I maybe could upgrade the reaper. (exquisite miststones are the only thing I need)

I am playing on a dedicated server with friends so I guess I'll ask someone to help, even though the boss scaling has proved to be terrible in the past. We had so much trouble going 4-man on the Feywalker or even Tristan but soloing was a lot easier.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

30.5 Days posted:

My Time At Sandrock releases in 4 hours- but it sounds like it's... unfinished? They're doing the full early access cycle? Is it valheim unfinished where I should just play it now, or is it, I don't know, normal early access game unfinished where I should wait a year before giving it a shot?

maybe wait a week and see all the youtube FIRST LOOK poo poo that will probably dogpile it

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Okay, I want to give V Rising a shot, but I do not know where to start. Should I go on a PvE server or host my private game? I thought I heard that for servers I basically need to login every so often to replenish power sources or something which seems like a pain.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

I thought I heard that for servers I basically need to login every so often to replenish power sources or something which seems like a pain.

If that bothers you, just play solo on a private server. The castle timer will only tick when you're playing on your own local hosted solo game. I've only played solo or on a private game with a friend and I've been enjoying it. I've only done all of the forest bosses except the bandit king(?) so far, but that's still been like... 12 hours solo? Not sure.

e;
vvvv

I did turn off the teleport restrictions halfway though for my solo game. There are a bunch of settings you can wiggle and things can be changed later, you just need to edit a file right now to do it.

REDjackeT fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 26, 2022

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A fully-loaded Heart will last a week (or more at higher tiers).
If playing solo, do mess with the server settings to reduce grind.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I mean I am not against playing on a PvE server, I just do not know how any of this works.

Another question: If I start on some rando PvE server, is my character pretty much stuck there and I need to play on that server unless I want to start a new character somewhere else?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Your character is tied to the game you create it on. Any new server or game you make or join will be a new character.

If you're interested in a dedicated server a goon is hosting one which will be much better than trying to make it your own way with total randos.

Thread here.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

SettingSun posted:

Your character is tied to the game you create it on. Any new server or game you make or join will be a new character.

If you're interested in a dedicated server a goon is hosting one which will be much better than trying to make it your own way with total randos.

Thread here.

Much appreciated! Hopefully I am not stepping on any toes building a castle where I did.

Game seems pretty cool so far.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
How do the Servant Mission locations work? I seem to be missing a bunch that my friend has as selectable.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Bum the Sad posted:

How do the Servant Mission locations work? I seem to be missing a bunch that my friend has as selectable.

This is just a guess but have you actually discovered those locations yourself?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah you can see them on the normal map but to have them count as discovered you need to actually go into them and have their name pop up. That's just a guess as what is happening here though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

just discovering them isn't always enough sometimes you have to go in far enough to reveal more of them on the map

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Do we know how much content there is currently in V Rising?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

Do we know how much content there is currently in V Rising?

It has 3 tiers of play encompassing 3 areas, 3 tech levels, and a few dozen bosses. There's a lot of customization to be done in your base/castle. In pvp there is an option for players to fight over unique artefacts and supremacy as king vampire.

I've played about 25 hours in the middle of the second area in a solo game and reports are that the third area is very difficult to engage.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
As a warning tho V rising is absolutely a game you play with friends

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

are the friends that day 1 DLC someone was talking about, I don't see them in the steam store

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

As a warning tho V rising is absolutely a game you play with friends

100%. But you can have a very comfy solo game if you mess with the server toggles, of which there are a lot. You can (and should) increase stack size, resource drop quantity, lower enemy difficulty, and maybe other things to account for your lack of extra hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bosses scale with the amount of players fighting them so you might not need to lower enemy difficulty. The t3 zones (there are technically two) do take a big step up in difficulty though.

As far as future content there's a very clear place on the map that I'm guessing is going to be a fourth tier of content. Just another whole rear end area that's scribbled out and no way to get to it (the bridges are broken).