Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ASAPI posted:

This is incredibly strange.

What was the deal with that pickup in the ditch that was allegedly the shooters?

I think he just pulled up and parked there from my understanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
So as usual most of the initial information was bullshit?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

davecrazy posted:

Hey remember the car bomb at the state department during 9/11? That’s always my classic go to for initial information is probably inaccurate.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

davecrazy posted:

Good chance it was the usual suspects stirring up poo poo and muddying the waters

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

davecrazy posted:

There's currently a tornado of bullshit interlaced with a hurricane of horseshit and a lot of the police involved in the whole thing have heavy incentives to lie too! So we're probably not going to get a true tick-tock for a few days.

An actual story on the shooter: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/05/25/uvalde-texas-school-shooting-gunman/

https://twitter.com/DougJBalloon/status/1529286297495511041

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

bulletsponge13 posted:

Just out of curiosity- did I describe the current TTP incorrectly from your training?

I never went through federal LE training or anything, but have some training and a lot of studies in the field, and always want to learn more.

So the training was basically if there are indicators people are being hurt, or are hurting(shooting/stabbing/etc) others, you go in and stop it.
*You don’t wait for backup, necessarily.*
If you’re the only one there at the time you hear gunshots, screaming, etc you enter and move quickly to the threat. (I guess if your at the door and you see another unit, trooper, deputy, etc rolling up NOW waiting might work for a few seconds but if dispatch advises units 5 minutes out and you hear shooting you don’t wait.)
You don’t stop to attend the wounded as long as you can hear or see or sense indicators that the situation is active. Most of the training we did was 2-3 folks entering the buildings though. But that had more to do with the logistics of getting students thru the training efficiently.

[As an aside- I’m no longer in LE. I did it about 3 years then went back to (commercial) sailing (though with ferries so see my kids everyday) I still shoot on the regular, though mostly handgun and .22s.]

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
And now they're saying that the shooter ran into a school cop, they slung some bullets, and that's why he went into that room, killed everyone, then barricaded.

https://twitter.com/BillFOXLA/status/1529498346565533697?t=jNaaG2vaJzxDeqaElk7LqA&s=19

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Dingleberry posted:

So the training was basically if there are indicators people are being hurt, or are hurting(shooting/stabbing/etc) others, you go in and stop it.
*You don’t wait for backup, necessarily.*
If you’re the only one there at the time you hear gunshots, screaming, etc you enter and move quickly to the threat. (I guess if your at the door and you see another unit, trooper, deputy, etc rolling up NOW waiting might work for a few seconds but if dispatch advises units 5 minutes out and you hear shooting you don’t wait.)
You don’t stop to attend the wounded as long as you can hear or see or sense indicators that the situation is active. Most of the training we did was 2-3 folks entering the buildings though. But that had more to do with the logistics of getting students thru the training efficiently.

[As an aside- I’m no longer in LE. I did it about 3 years then went back to (commercial) sailing (though with ferries so see my kids everyday) I still shoot on the regular, though mostly handgun and .22s.]

Thank you for sharing. It's pretty much how I understood it from my learning, but I've never been upset I learned something.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

davecrazy posted:

Yup, pretty much every time a chaotic event happens, initial info is to be taken with a boulder of salt. Especially so for activite shooter events.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

And now they're saying that the shooter ran into a school cop, they slung some bullets, and that's why he went into that room, killed everyone, then barricaded.

https://twitter.com/BillFOXLA/status/1529498346565533697?t=jNaaG2vaJzxDeqaElk7LqA&s=19

So in other words, very ineffective.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Bored As gently caress posted:

Yup, pretty much every time a chaotic event happens, initial info is to be taken with a boulder of salt. Especially so for activite shooter events.

If you've ever read The Wheel of Time, the epilogues where rumors get mixed and tumbled about is a great example of this.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I think he just pulled up and parked there from my understanding.

Dudes truck had a broken front wheel and it was obviously "crashed" into the ditch.

But, like others have said, information is changing.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Reminder that because of varied witness reports, at Columbine police expected more than two shooters, with several going on record as saying they thought between 6 and 12. 911 kept getting different answers- "What were they wearing?" The shooters changed their look as they went about, removing clothing, putting on hats, etc, leading to police chasing ghosts in t shirts.

Beside the worthlessness of witness reports, the biomechanical actions in fear undermine reliability, and just chaos, all early reports should be disregarded until confirmation.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I also remember hearing that part of the reason local LEO couldn't stop him is that he was "wearing body armor," which we now know to be false.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

maffew buildings posted:

Here I am being dumb enough to read articles saying he was engaged before going into the school, 20 cops were on scene yet 21 are dead and hoping this could result in outcry or reform about police being cowards

whats the point of rampant overtime fraud if you get hurt and cant enjoy it

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I also remember hearing that part of the reason local LEO couldn't stop him is that he was "wearing body armor," which we now know to be false.

That disgusts me even more than usual. Who loving cares if he's armored? He could be a loving Iron Man suit, that doesn't mean you let him go about his business. You have at least 45 rounds- make him count every loving one.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/1529519363090530310?t=egoUIiLPznRdR1YhnzVXqg&s=19

Edit: clarification tweet https://twitter.com/andymstone/status/1529524398105014274?t=FGcJeRPHAohmmrOWmlOsCg&s=19

Also Beto showed up to yell at Abbott and of people, Ted Cruz told him not to pull a stunt

https://twitter.com/mikedebonis/status/1529520913347223552?t=SPB-2dOsSts_j1_8ZTc_Fg&s=19

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1529521827902636032?t=5EMjL5SWwUQah2972Lemxg&s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 25, 2022

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
1st amendment doesn't include political speech in the brain trust of texas lawmen assembled on stage. What a collection of moral midgets.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Good on Beto, even if it was a stunt.

They are the sick sons of bitches, not him. By the way: NRA convention is in Texas next week, sure you can't guess what Governor is showing up there.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Beto should have thrown his shoes at Abbot.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

stealie72 posted:

Beto should have thrown his shoes at Abbot.

Speaking of which (shoes) GWB was apparently the target of an assassin.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna30330

FWIW I wish Bush was rotting away in some low -security prison in some EU country over the Iraq fiasco. He lit the fuse. He sucks. When he came out recently on political things and people were all “his thoughts are so poignant” I wanted to vomit on my own head.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

If ever there was stereotype of a Texas pig, dear god there they sit.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I would rather wild political stunts at this point than the same "thoughts and prayers, we really could have done nothing about this" naval gazing that usually happens.

Like at this point if the legislative response to kids being shot up every so often is gonna be either "THROW MORE MONEY AT POLICE" or thoughts and prayers I'd rather they just all shut the gently caress up and admit that they'll accept it's just the price of being the land of cheap guns and even cheaper lives.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Defenestrategy posted:

I would rather wild political stunts at this point than the same "Hopes and prayers, we really could have done nothing about this" naval gazing that usually happens.

Like at this point if the legislative response to kids being shot up every so often is gonna be either "THROW MORE MONEY AT POLICE" or thoughts and prayers I'd rather they just all shut the gently caress up and admit that they'll accept it's just the price of being the land of cheap guns and even cheaper lives.

Well in Texas the response is "WE NEED EVERY (white) TEXAN TO HAVE A GUN NOW"
https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/659427797853536256

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

AK-47's for everyone is a great policy in Tropico, not so much a solution for a country in which everyone[white] can have a gun cheaply anyway.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I had a smidge of respect for Dubya for a few years. He seemed to be somewhat remorseful. Still hated him and thought he should hang. He's done well cultivating this aura of "Aw, sucks, fellas. They tricked me too!"

Then he laughed at his little faux pas of Iraq/Ukraine. For legal reasons, my opinion will remain unstated, but I would love to sit him down and force him to watch grown men weep, wake him up at night screaming.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Stultus Maximus posted:

https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/659427797853536256

This tweet was from 2015, but I get your point.

What I am confused about is: if the elite, fully armored, armed, and trained "law enforcement professionals" are sucking so hard at taking out a school shooter, how do they expect Ms Foxy to do much better with her desk pistol?

The "professionals" sucked and they were trained.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

ASAPI posted:

What I am confused about is: if the elite, fully armored, armed, and trained "law enforcement professionals" are sucking so hard at taking out a school shooter, how do they expect Ms Foxy to do much better with her desk pistol?

The American Right Wing has carefully had any capacity for logic, introspection, or critical thought removed over several generations.

"Popular right wing figure says x, so therefore we must x" is all they need.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ASAPI posted:

This tweet was from 2015, but I get your point.

Yeah I know it's an old tweet but the sentiment has not changed

quote:

In a Tuesday interview with the conservative Newsmax TV channel, Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton said the right response was to ensure more people had access to firearms to stop shootings.

"People who are shooting people, who are killing kids, they're not following murder laws so they're not going to follow gun laws," he said.

"This idea that if you ban guns from law-abiding citizens, somehow these people that kill people, they're going to follow the gun law but won't follow the murder laws, is somewhat ridiculous."

"So it makes no sense to me. I'd rather have law-abiding citizens armed and trained so that they can respond when something like this happens because it's not going to be the last time."

Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas also rejected calls for tighter gun laws, suggesting that more armed police should be stationed at schools instead.

"We know from past experience that the most effective tool for keeping kids safe is armed law enforcement on the campus," Cruz told MSNBC.

And in a Tuesday interview on Fox News' "Tucker Carlson Tonight," Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said that the right response was to "harden the targets," or improve school security.

"We have to harden the targets so that no one can get in ever except though one entrance, maybe that would help, maybe that would stop someone," he said. "But it's really bigger than that, Tucker. We're a coarse society, we're a society that's just at each other's throats all the time, and we're better than that as a nation."

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If we arm everyone in the school, we can get the average number of kids killed per mass shooting to under 10, I'm sure of it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

psydude posted:

If we arm everyone in the school, we can get the average number of kids killed per mass shooting to under 10, I'm sure of it.

inb4 "an armed playground is a polite playground"

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1529540147284480001?t=9wirL1ZdX6nAswtAoRC9iw&s=19

And yes, the conservative dogma is that more guns in schools are automatically better. That's simply the stated party position. They are perfectly happy if the kindergarten teacher accidentally forgets to lock up her .38 special and little Colton blows his face off. That's one more gun in a school so it's better!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

It's not going to change without a massive shift in the entire American conservative movement. In other countries, it only took one event of this magnitude to drastically change gun laws. The Hungerford massacre for England; the École Polytechnique massacre for Canadian; and the Port Arthur massacre for Australian. But Sandy Hook came and went and almost nothing changed politically speaking.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Has anyone consulted The Free Market for potential solutions to school shootings yet?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
its a mental illness issue in that there are tens of millions of utterly deranged conservatives out there with delusions of shooting a black person walking through the neighborhood, at best, and who have worked themselves into the most intense victim complex in human history

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

maffew buildings posted:

Has anyone consulted Elon Musk for potential solutions to school shootings yet?

FTFY

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

Has anyone consulted The Free Market for potential solutions to school shootings yet?

Monetize it, pay schools a bonus for each child surviving at the end of each day

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Monetize it, pay schools a bonus for each child surviving at the end of each day

They’ll start denying admission to people with pre-existing conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Making everyone who purchases a firearm also carry around a tesla battery would stop a few mass shootings.