Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So Netflix is already doing the HBO thing of spliting the last season before they even have a genuine great show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
So many people die in Season 3 yet it never really seems to have any weight and was just written off as “oh the mall blew up!” To the wider world

I was thinking the other day that so many movies and tv shows have massacres in them that would top pretty much any tragedy in modern times and it would just damage the perception of safety forever and have real consequences. Like what would the cops do after the events of terminator 1? They’d go absolutely nuts and it would be terrifying. Moreso than what they’re like now, even.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Jon Irenicus posted:

there was an article I think linked here where Barb dying a horrible death gave the show that sense of foreboding and stakes that was then never present after that moment. every character is now too precious

The only character name i could remember so :hmmyes:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

So Netflix is already doing the HBO thing of spliting the last season before they even have a genuine great show?

hehe someone doesn’t remember arrested development season 5 part 2!!!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

PostNouveau posted:

Generic White Kid Who Disappeared in the Good Season But Now He's Actually Around and in the Show and He Sucks at Acting,
this is one of the big reasons I thought there shouldn't be a season 2

he's like the missing guy from The Hangover. the whole premise is based on the idea that the main guys are his best friends, but he never has to interact with them, and you do a whole movie/season where we get to see the main guys being friends and having an adventure, and then they rescue him, and now you're hosed. it's pretty much a no-win situation in terms of creative direction. you didn't hire this guy to not be missing

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Watched the first two episodes of From, liking it so far.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

I was thinking the other day that so many movies and tv shows have massacres in them that would top pretty much any tragedy in modern times and it would just damage the perception of safety forever and have real consequences. Like what would the cops do after the events of terminator 1? They’d go absolutely nuts and it would be terrifying. Moreso than what they’re like now, even.

John Wick 2 would be an international incident with the amount of people he kills. There are like 50 loving people dead at a nightclub and in the sewers nearby. The city would be locked down like a warzone.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

John Wick is a fantasy series though. I don’t mean that in a facetious way

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

hehe someone doesn’t remember arrested development season 5 part 2!!!

They did this with Bojack Horseman too. It's nothing new for them

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

PostNouveau posted:

John Wick 2 would be an international incident with the amount of people he kills. There are like 50 loving people dead at a nightclub and in the sewers nearby. The city would be locked down like a warzone.

lol i had the same thought re-playing SWAT4 recently. the last mission has you and your squad of 4 other guys against 15+ armed militia with body armor, assault rifles, and ballistic helmets barricaded in a research facility.

i dunno if a single team of guys is the right choice for this. maybe call in the national guard.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Battlestar Galactica season 2 was the first time I noticed a planned mid-season finale

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Trillhouse posted:

lol i had the same thought re-playing SWAT4 recently. the last mission has you and your squad of 4 other guys against 15+ armed militia with body armor, assault rifles, and ballistic helmets barricaded in a research facility.

i dunno if a single team of guys is the right choice for this. maybe call in the national guard.
That’s like a mission in Rainbow Six

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

priznat posted:

PostNouveau posted:

Ummm, did you guys not live through the most recent pandemic, and the new war, and the almost daily school shootings in the US? Nothing would happen, besides those left alive trying their hardest to "go back to normal"

Don't Look Up pretty much nailed what would happen

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Ummm, did you guys not live through the most recent pandemic, and the new war, and the almost daily school shootings in the US? Nothing would happen, besides those left alive trying their hardest to "go back to normal"

The public would not be affected but the cops would absolutely go even more paranoid crazy if they were constantly getting murdered by super powered antagonists. They'd devolve into some kind of paramilitary organization and ohhhh poo poo it already did happen didn't it.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

The public would not be affected but the cops would absolutely go even more paranoid crazy if they were constantly getting murdered by super powered antagonists. They'd devolve into some kind of paramilitary organization and ohhhh poo poo it already did happen didn't it.

Lol

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Ummm, did you guys not live through the most recent pandemic,

nah I died

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I started watching tokyo vice, I didn't finish it yet so maybe it comes back but I liked it when the entire show has been people (realistically for japan) freaking out over single murders and suicides, then there's a ninja attack where what like 10 people die and it's never really addressed

Cubone
May 26, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

then there's a ninja attack

hol up

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I started watching tokyo vice, I didn't finish it yet so maybe it comes back but I liked it when the entire show has been people (realistically for japan) freaking out over single murders and suicides, then there's a ninja attack where what like 10 people die and it's never really addressed

Lol yes, that was really weird.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

later in the season its implied the Yakuza cleaned it up and never reported it to keep the murder rate down

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So I finish Severance S1. It's essentially the Total Recall premise they dragged it out in 9 hours but I am not seeing many clever twist they add to the premise. Even the ending twist is very Total Recall. I enjoy the binge with last few episodes and its a meh.

There are a couple mysteries I want them answer but S1 never touched on them, 1 what they are doing in the office job. I have a hunch the writers don't know either, what they have in there is a placeholder and they will come up with something in later seasons. This is where the show reminds me of Lost and I am satisfied stopping at s1. Another mystery is the 2 middle management weirdos. I am afraid the show will just explain them away them being cultists.

Also I get annoyed by the insane amount of managerial overhead of this system. This is so stupid and so much lower efficiency than just hiring some Indians with EB1 visa. Whoever wrote this has not worked in a office. This show is made by Ben Stiller right?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

theres ninjas

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

don't look up is loving terrible

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

later in the season its implied the Yakuza cleaned it up and never reported it to keep the murder rate down

Also the vice cop literally says there's no murder in Japan because they do everything they can to not classify an obvious murder as a murder

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It's all about shaming people into killing themselves p much

Doesn't work on the shameless yankee gaijin!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cubone posted:

theres ninjas

Well come on it's Tokyo of course there are ninjas

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

:sickos:

the first speed racer movie was the best video game movie and it wasnt even about a video game

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 25, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

stephenthinkpad posted:

So I finish Severance S1. It's essentially the Total Recall premise they dragged it out in 9 hours but I am not seeing many clever twist they add to the premise. Even the ending twist is very Total Recall. I enjoy the binge with last few episodes and its a meh.

There are a couple mysteries I want them answer but S1 never touched on them, 1 what they are doing in the office job. I have a hunch the writers don't know either, what they have in there is a placeholder and they will come up with something in later seasons. This is where the show reminds me of Lost and I am satisfied stopping at s1. Another mystery is the 2 middle management weirdos. I am afraid the show will just explain them away them being cultists.

Mike's show "From" is also straight up 100% Lost as well.

There's no more "well, let's see where they're going with this" because every single time where they're going is "up their own rear end". If you get Lost vibes, rest assured the writers are completely full of poo poo.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying tokyo vice just for the vibes but you can really tell what came from the book (working at a japanese company loving sucks) and what they added to check the boxes (gang war with ninja attacks)

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

infernal machines posted:

Mike's show "From" is also straight up 100% Lost as well.

There's no more "well, let's see where they're going with this" because every single time where they're going is "up their own rear end". If you get Lost vibes, rest assured the writers are completely full of poo poo.

Wasn't there a similar show a couple years back, with that actor.... from Drugstore Cowboy whatshisname... idk, anyway there was a show that sounded like this already.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying tokyo vice just for the vibes but you can really tell what came from the book (working at a japanese company loving sucks) and what they added to check the boxes (gang war with ninja attacks)

Honestly my favourite parts of the show was when they were hanging out at little restaurants drinking beer and having snacks, it looked delicious.

Also detective guy’s badass nissan or whatever it was

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
No one's ever really gone.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

PostNouveau posted:

Only if it happened in a real country. It happened in America so all that would happen is:
Republican politicians would tweet out thoughts and prayers while getting plowed by rent boys.
Walmart would jack up ammo prices to take advantage of panic buying
Another idiot loser would figure out that this was his only way of getting famous and prepare to renew the cycle.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah sure, do it dude. $30 mil. It ain't his fault those movies suck.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Strikes me as a brutal snub for our beloved pattman. I won't stand for it

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

Also I get annoyed by the insane amount of managerial overhead of this system. This is so stupid and so much lower efficiency than just hiring some Indians with EB1 visa. Whoever wrote this has not worked in a office. This show is made by Ben Stiller right?

I enjoyed Severance, but the season ended in such a way that I'm not sure a S2 will be very satisfying. As you said, there are a few mysteries left to poke at, but it's hard to see how you maintain the feel of the show--which I assume is what most people enjoyed--after the events of the last episode.

priznat posted:

Honestly my favourite parts of the show was when they were hanging out at little restaurants drinking beer and having snacks, it looked delicious.

Also detective guy’s badass nissan or whatever it was

Izakayas kick rear end and imo their presence in the San Francisco area is one of the few things that makes living here bearable.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

If they do a COIE , he can still be in it. Don't you worry.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kingo Ligma posted:

Only if it happened in a real country. It happened in America so all that would happen is:
Republican politicians would tweet out thoughts and prayers while getting plowed by rent boys.
Walmart would jack up ammo prices to take advantage of panic buying
Another idiot loser would figure out that this was his only way of getting famous and prepare to renew the cycle.

The big attack in John Wick 2 takes place in Rome. He escapes to the Continental, but it's like the Rome branch of it not the NYC one.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

You can have two Batmen. Pattman gets to be in the ones that are forgettable, and Batfleck gets to be in the ones that are humongous turds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Watched the first two episodes of From, liking it so far.

i watched all of the first season and liked it. i clearly didnt learn my lesson from watching Lost