Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Riot Bimbo posted:

the manson stuff w/ chaos is a nice little setpiece deconstruction of a thing everyone takes for granted they know the story of, and then shows you how wrong you are, you moron, you absolute buffoon; and introduces a cavalcade of wacky character actors that keep showing up in America's Greatest Domestic Hits so you can start breaking your brain at your own, comfortable pace.

I've said it before in here but the best aspect of CHAOS is that the author experiences the exact same thing the reader does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010
Also there's the fact that O'Neill doesn't go in as a :tinfoil: but progressively crack/pings into one. 'By this point I sure thought things had crazy enough, and I never thought that just one month on I'd be reading up on [x], but boy was I wrong'. Great for the novice friend who thinks they're just getting some true crime Manson stuff and now they know that the CIA gave elephants acid.

Thanks for the podcast recommendations. Only one I've never listened to is Transmissions, so will be starting that, and listening to episodes of Death is Just Around the Corner that aren't just the JFK ones.

Edit: Just seen this essentially echoed what the poster above put more succinctly. Never mind.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
I'm reading Chaos right now and I really appreciate that the first person bits are for the most part set in the 90's and 2000's, when it was more forgivable for a journalist or even a laymen to not be -pilled

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mdemone posted:

I've said it before in here but the best aspect of CHAOS is that the author experiences the exact same thing the reader does.

also the conclusion drawn at the end is basically "I don't know exactly what happened, but I know the official story is filled with holes" and I feel like most people's problems with 'Conspiracies' is the tendency to work backward from an already determined conclusion and make all the evidence fit into that story. So it's good introductory material for a couple reasons.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

actually no the best part is the high keening squealing sound my brain made (and has not stopped making) when I learned Jolly West's office was on Manson's block.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Riot Bimbo posted:

the manson stuff w/ chaos is a nice little setpiece deconstruction of a thing everyone takes for granted they know the story of, and then shows you how wrong you are, you moron, you absolute buffoon; and introduces a cavalcade of wacky character actors that keep showing up in America's Greatest Domestic Hits so you can start breaking your brain at your own, comfortable pace.

yeah, and i think people are more willing to entertain that there was something more to Manson than the official story, than something like the JFK assassination.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Shear Modulus posted:

yeah, and i think people are more willing to entertain that there was something more to Manson than the official story, than something like the JFK assassination.

JOLLY FUCKIN WEST

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

are they? I thought something like 2/3rds of Americans didn't buy the official JFK story

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I think at this point if somebody found out Epstein's (EPSTINE) grandpa was Jolly West, I would not even feel a twinge of shock

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

it rules and is hilarious that one of the most important men in American history is called Jolly.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

really? I feel like your point is kinda right but JFK? Everyone I knew growing up more or less flatly don't believe the Warren findings but have no idea what to go on besides that? Like "Yeah that poo poo doesn't add up at all" is way more common around Dallas than "there was some shady poo poo going on with the manson murders", which is comparatively rare. I didn't know you could be a Manson-truther until CHAOS

idk jack ruby was a guy you might've met, known, or had to deal with in some capacity before he ganked Oswald if you grew up in Dallas. I have no first degree connections but the town wasn't that big back then, and I guess people still smell the poo poo all over that in Dallas.

Nobody wants to make the link to the mob or the CIA but a certainty that poo poo doesn't add up has always been there

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

RandolphCarter posted:

it rules and is hilarious that one of the most important men in American history is called Jolly.

HE VISITED MCVEIGH IN JAIL BEFORE THEY CHARGED HIM WITH THE CRIME

Edit: AAAAHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Riot Bimbo posted:

idk jack ruby was a guy you might've met, known, or had to deal with in some capacity before he ganked Oswald if you grew up in Dallas.

GUESS WHO ELSE MET JOLLY WEST IN JAIL AFTER THEY DID A THING

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

sidney gottlieb "Godlove", and jolly west. Watch out if we ever find a guy named Joy Rapture Razorhands

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Riot Bimbo posted:

idk jack ruby was a guy you might've met, known, or had to deal with in some capacity before he ganked Oswald if you grew up in Dallas. I have no first degree connections but the town wasn't that big back then, and I guess people still smell the poo poo all over that in Dallas.

Nobody wants to make the link to the mob or the CIA but a certainty that poo poo doesn't add up has always been there

Jack Ruby was originally from Chicago and had 'busisness' ties there til he was arrested. My grandpa met him. Didn't ever tell me much about him other than he was 100% mobbed up, pretty dumb, and would do whatever he was told.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

my bony fealty posted:

are they? I thought something like 2/3rds of Americans didn't buy the official JFK story

idk, i just think the ultimate conclusion is a big pill to swallow. there are lots of ways you can say you suspect something is up with the official story, like you can suspect there's something about the grassy knoll or that jack ruby immediately killing oswald doesn't really have a good explanation in the official story, but someone can think the official story is bunk and still not completely lose their innocence by concluding that the mob did it, or that the only reason the government covered it up was to hide their own incompetence in letting JFK get killed

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

mdemone posted:

GUESS WHO ELSE MET JOLLY WEST IN JAIL AFTER THEY DID A THING

if i ever get arrested and a guy with a name that sounds like a tertiary santa claus mythos character shows up to see me, i'm gonna be real scared tbqh

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Riot Bimbo posted:

if i ever get arrested and a guy with a name that sounds like a tertiary santa claus mythos character shows up to see me, i'm gonna be real scared tbqh

he’s like krampus but evil

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
jolly west is literally the judge from blood meridian

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

he's making a list, checking it twice, doesn't really care if your naughty or nice; jolly west grunt gently caress lone nut

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Shear Modulus posted:

idk, i just think the ultimate conclusion is a big pill to swallow. there are lots of ways you can say you suspect something is up with the official story, like you can suspect there's something about the grassy knoll or that jack ruby immediately killing oswald doesn't really have a good explanation in the official story, but someone can think the official story is bunk and still not completely lose their innocence by concluding that the mob did it, or that the only reason the government covered it up was to hide their own incompetence in letting JFK get killed

read the Waldron book, honestly. it is "more likely than not" that the hypothesis put forward there is correct, given his evidence.

would I call it ironclad? certainly not, but that's only because of Jolly West.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Shear Modulus posted:

i think it helps that chaos has the celebrity aspect to it too it keeps it from just being about government agencies and all that.

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010
Is 9/11 no longer the gateway pill then?

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

You've got to approach this from their sensibilities.

If you like Charles Manson and have an hour to kill, you could snuggle with the family for the relaxing BBC documentary It Felt Like a Kiss. Banging soundtrack, amazing archive footage with a cast of everyone you know and loathe.

The full thing is usually on YouTube and probably elsewhere. If the snippet below of brainwashing is not to your taste then it might be drag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tOYYztbLZo

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

crazyvanman posted:

Is 9/11 no longer the gateway pill then?

9/11 is about as straightforward as it gets in this thread.

yeah we knew stuff but nobody was gonna do stuff.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I have trouble with some of the conspiratorial logic because the association link is a little too broad. like saying someone had a CIA file meant they were acting in concert with or by the direction of the CIA. Doesn’t mean it’s not true, just doesn’t quite meet the level to me.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mdemone posted:

9/11 is about as straightforward as it gets in this thread.

yeah we knew stuff but nobody was gonna do stuff.

lol it was declassified! it’s all on video, publicly available

bandar bush did 9/11

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Fly Molo posted:

bandar bush did 9/11

I'm listening. I mean I can be had on this probably. if you cracked me I might not even ping more than a little

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Fly Molo posted:

bandar bush did 9/11

that spoiler is the best. saudi prince trains a bunch of saudi nationals to do a terrorism at the behest of the saudi intelligence services, and we end up invading iraq. this is america!

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mdemone posted:

I'm listening. I mean I can be had on this probably. if you cracked me I might not even ping more than a little

no it’s not even conspiratorial as of a month ago, prince bandar was literally paying a stipend for the hijackers
https://nationalpost.com/news/world/home-video-shows-9-11-hijackers-partying-with-alleged-saudi-intelligence-officer

quote:

A 510-page newly declassified and liberally redacted FBI memo from 2017 states that al-Bayoumi, “in the late 1990s and up to September 11, 2001 … was paid a monthly stipend as a co-optee of the Saudi General Intelligence Presidency via then-ambassador Prince Bandar bin Sultan.”

The report continues, “Allegations of al-Bayoumi’s involvement with Saudi Intelligence were not confirmed at the time of the 9/11 Commission Report. The above information confirms these allegations.”

The report found Bayoumi regularly shared his intelligence with then-ambassador Bandar, who fostered close ties to President George W. Bush and earned the nickname Bandar Bush.

got to hand it to uhhh the trump fbi for compiling that report in 2017 :thunk:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Fly Molo posted:

no it’s not even conspiratorial as of a month ago, prince bandar was literally paying a stipend for the hijackers
https://nationalpost.com/news/world/home-video-shows-9-11-hijackers-partying-with-alleged-saudi-intelligence-officer

got to hand it to uhhh the trump fbi for compiling that report in 2017 :thunk:

oooh I knew all that but the Bush ties.

*picks up dusty stomped hat*

*throws it down, kicks it*

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.

Delta-Wye posted:

that spoiler is the best. saudi prince trains a bunch of saudi nationals to do a terrorism at the behest of the saudi intelligence services, and we end up invading iraq. this is america!

Also, US tried to blame it on Iran - which is genius really as it stuffed up court battles and muddled the whole discourse for decades. What even is a conspiracy theory at that point?

Meanwhile the USA gets to wage a holy war of revenge on the planet alongside the loyal and democratic KSA.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’ve really only consumed CHAOS and the first bit of Chessboard, plus a dozen episodes of Ghost Stories and of course the contents of this thread, but I’m pretty sure my fiancée is a little worried that I’ll have a few drinks at our wedding and start explaining The Real poo poo to her relatives. Can’t go back through that door, though, the world is full of crazy poo poo.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

normalize being completely batshit insane imo i need an easier route through however long i have left on this wretched hologram reality

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Pretty much anytime I hear someone talk about and laugh at conspiracy theories like Q I now immediately break into "And the most frustrating part is that all of this stuff is real, they're just not seeing it right. The cabal is real but it's just a bunch of rich people and whatever government employees who have free reign and blank checkbooks in the name of national defense. What do you know about MKUltra?"

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

I’ve really only consumed CHAOS and the first bit of Chessboard, plus a dozen episodes of Ghost Stories and of course the contents of this thread, but I’m pretty sure my fiancée is a little worried that I’ll have a few drinks at our wedding and start explaining The Real poo poo to her relatives. Can’t go back through that door, though, the world is full of crazy poo poo.

the relatives who thought I was a conspiracy theorist in 2016 for saying both Trump and Clinton were on Epstein's plane now think I'm a sheep for believing the earth is round

poo poo's weird now

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Gumball Gumption posted:

Pretty much anytime I hear someone talk about and laugh at conspiracy theories like Q I now immediately break into "And the most frustrating part is that all of this stuff is real, they're just not seeing it right. The cabal is real but it's just a bunch of rich people and whatever government employees who have free reign and blank checkbooks in the name of national defense. What do you know about MKUltra?"

I could do two hours off the top of my head. I mean they'd have to bring me beer and stuff to keep me going.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

mdemone posted:

I could do two hours off the top of my head. I mean they'd have to bring me beer and stuff to keep me going.

It's a good intro because you can show how not crazy you are are by explaining that you don't believe the really paranoid stuff, just the deprogramming of humans which is recorded history.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
A sleeper hit for pilling your friends and family is the octopus network investigation. I got somebody to watch it and it was like the Anakin and Padme meme

'that was a cool arg'
'it was an Arg right?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cagliostr0 posted:

A sleeper hit for pilling your friends and family is the octopus network investigation. I got somebody to watch it and it was like the Anakin and Padme meme

'that was a cool arg'
'it was an Arg right?'

i couldnt get through it last time i tried cause there were missing parts and its a lot of recap in each segment with annoying local news stuff. it needs a supercut