Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
Raspers realm is a great expansion by expansion break down. Generally a lot of detail about raid and group progression. Who to hail what to say stuff like that. How the fight or event goes.

Also has good info on what that expansions raid and group armor is and how to get it etc. I wasn't aware of when mangler started. But now it's basically the go to for all the basic new expansions info.

Rasper is still active and updating it as errors are noticed etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

AttackTheMoon posted:

So I've never played Everquest but I've got a buddy whos looking to get into it on one of the new progression servers coming out so I figure I'll give it a shot. Anyone have any advice before I start? Which server are goons gunna be playing on?

Class balance and gameplay are all over the place in the base game. Pure melee classes (rogue, monk, warrior) get like 1 button to press every 8 seconds while auto attacking. Caster classes spend lots of time regaining mana to do anything. Only a few classes are at all competent at solo play, and even in the best case solo xp is really bad compared to grouping.

Ideally you and your friend play complimentary classes and progress together. What class you should play depends on your personal preference but if you have none I’d first suggest druid and mage (both are strong and simple) and then necro, shaman or enchanter (god tier classes but higher complexity).

I suggest these based on how powerful and independent these classes are without needing any gear. You can play whatever you find interesting and make it work so don’t feel bound to this.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.
TLP starts tomorrow, a number of groups are going hardcore via forming static groups for leveling. If your interested in going hardcore or less hardcore on the standard server say hi and I am happy to get you an invite.

This year there are minimal no sleep groups going, our guild is mostly doing a few 12 to 18 hr days depending on the group till 50 then everyone takes a nap.

Snotty By Nature
Sep 11, 2007

PyRosflam posted:

TLP starts tomorrow, a number of groups are going hardcore via forming static groups for leveling. If your interested in going hardcore or less hardcore on the standard server say hi and I am happy to get you an invite.

This year there are minimal no sleep groups going, our guild is mostly doing a few 12 to 18 hr days depending on the group till 50 then everyone takes a nap.

I'll be going druid at launch and maining for Yelinak. Had a blast on Aradune through PoP. Do you already have a guild ready for day 1?

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Snotty By Nature posted:

I'll be going druid at launch and maining for Yelinak. Had a blast on Aradune through PoP. Do you already have a guild ready for day 1?

Yep, Joining a crew with some old timers I played with a few years back.

Feel free to jump in our discord: https://discord.gg/bHqW4rHgg2

I am Glass on the discord.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

this is the best part of EQ - when a new TLP launches and I live vicariously through everyone's posts and the various EQ discords getting 10x more active

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Last chance to purchase the Successful Shenanigan and Roguish Rapscallion packs before they get replaced. The new packs will be Trying Toxicologist and Vexing Vermin.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
i'll be leveling up with a static of mangler friends on Vaniki.

If you're gonna no-life launch like us, i'll probably see you there!

gently caress i'm so excited to play this stupid game again

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

onesixtwo posted:

i'll be leveling up with a static of mangler friends on Vaniki.

If you're gonna no-life launch like us, i'll probably see you there!

gently caress i'm so excited to play this stupid game again

Some of my friends are twisting my arm to play on vaniki this week. I’ll probably dip in for a bit.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

koreban posted:

Some of my friends are twisting my arm to play on vaniki this week. I’ll probably dip in for a bit.

Nice!

I’ll be leveling a solo monk at first. We’re doing our six mains together, then a round of alts/boxes for everyone + catching up friends on the weekend. None of us wanted to six box another launch but we all want boxes eventually, so we’re turning it into a group effort to shoot the poo poo and go through various leveling spots / PL parties.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I think we’ll have a strong 6 amongst the 4 of us. Hoping to get up to LDoN dungeon levels and then just work our way up through those mostly. Not looking forward to the gloomingdeep launch crush or trying to get to 25ish fast enough to make it to Runnyeye first for the mana pres neck camp. Rather just buy the focii from derp points.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Yeah I have… no expectations of the tutorial being good or fun tomorrow morning. Seriously worried about that being the biggest bottleneck to us getting the exp moving.

I’m planning to run through it again tonight to make sure I remember exactly which tasks give armor rewards and which are safe to skip. Am told you really don’t want to skip the armor it gives, or else I would be doing that and grinding frogloks for magic gloves.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 24, 2022

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

onesixtwo posted:

Am told you really don’t want to skip the armor it gives, or else I would be doing that and grinding frogloks for magic gloves.

They removed magic weapons. I assume you shouldn't need magic gloves.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Arae posted:

They removed magic weapons. I assume you shouldn't need magic gloves.

Was that because of the unkillable newbie skeletons? I knew they made some changes to mob type but didn't know they took out the magic weapons system completely.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003
Yes it was part of the body type update.

Those minotaur axes and other junk might be useful. It also means you shouldn't need magic shield (bash), feet (kick), or shoulders (slam).

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Huh good to know. RIP to launch groups carrying a rogue through unrest

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Going to be on Yelinak with 2 buddies. We’re still trying to figure out our trio. Probably a shaman for sure, I’ve been practicing my run from Oggok to the commonlands.

Anyone know how TLP monk stacks up vs TAKP or P1999?

Are PAL and SHD super boring in Classic? Seems like they lack tools and will seriously lack mana règne and whatnot.

Maybe I will see you, next time you’re in EQ.

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.

PyRosflam posted:

Yep, Joining a crew with some old timers I played with a few years back.

Feel free to jump in our discord: https://discord.gg/bHqW4rHgg2

I am Glass on the discord.

Eh, this sounds good. I'll hop on the discord.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

cmdrk posted:

Going to be on Yelinak with 2 buddies. We’re still trying to figure out our trio. Probably a shaman for sure, I’ve been practicing my run from Oggok to the commonlands.

Anyone know how TLP monk stacks up vs TAKP or P1999?

Are PAL and SHD super boring in Classic? Seems like they lack tools and will seriously lack mana règne and whatnot.

Maybe I will see you, next time you’re in EQ.

Monks are really good on TLP, I think due to live server fist/kick damage tables. With 1.0 their fist dam/delay is something like 23/26. The epic is all you need to be effective for a long time.

Paladin is in a worse spot than SK afaik because their low cost stuns are Luclin locked. SK has enough utility to be interesting imo even though mana is an issue.

If any of you are willing to play enchanter I’d suggest it at the start. The class will just hard carry an entire group when everyone is naked. They pair really well with shaman with malaise.

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.

Solarin posted:

Monks are really good on TLP, I think due to live server fist/kick damage tables. With 1.0 their fist dam/delay is something like 23/26. The epic is all you need to be effective for a long time.

Paladin is in a worse spot than SK afaik because their low cost stuns are Luclin locked. SK has enough utility to be interesting imo even though mana is an issue.

If any of you are willing to play enchanter I’d suggest it at the start. The class will just hard carry an entire group when everyone is naked. They pair really well with shaman with malaise.

I leveled a Paladin on the TLP last year and it was a lot of fun in the Classic/Kunark era. You aren't a super tank like later on, but this is EverQuest and most groups need a tank.

I'm going Enchanter this time since it's one of the few classes I haven't really played. They drop off in power level after awhile, but to Solarin's point they are stupidly powerful in the first few expansions, and I don't imagine I'll play past Velious anyway, that's usually when I burn out of these things.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
I was actually going to try Paladin in classic this time...do you just end up healing most of the time in the endgame? I know only warriors can tank raids right

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Verbose posted:

I was actually going to try Paladin in classic this time...do you just end up healing most of the time in the endgame? I know only warriors can tank raids right

nah paladins cant heal enough to make an appreciable difference, there's maybe a few times when its the best thing they can do, but generally speaking you'll be helping tank adds in raids. Generally warriors do tank the big mobs most of the time but not always. And there's mechanics like deathtouch, fear, etc that mean the main tank can't always be the one holding agro. But a lot of the time you will just be doing what you can to help - a raid guild will often have 6+ tanks so nobody gets to be the star every fight.

Indecisive fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 25, 2022

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Verbose posted:

Pallys and SKs are offtanks, Wars are your main raid tanks. This becomes less of an issue over time as gear gets better. Mostly for classic its all about fearless so the mob does not run around.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Verbose posted:

Generally offtanking when it’s called for. The harder hitting boss mobs are usually tanked by warriors but there will be other situations where you need meat shields. Raid situations with lots of trash or adds you’ll be keeping those trash/adds off casters and healers.

Once luclin opens there is a hammer that drops which procs divine aura at which point they become the defacto ramp tank. On the hard hitting mobs that require a warrior tank the paladin will usually run in first to establish rampage agro and then try and stay alive.

After the early expansions as raids get a little more complexity there is usually some aspect included to keep the knights busy but usually not too many of them. Usually that’s not a huge problem for paladins because not a lot of people are itching to play them. SKs though I usually see more people wanting to play them than I see raids needing to have them.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
What's the community like during one of these launches? As a solo with no pre-made, will I be able to get group spots to XP?

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

What's the community like during one of these launches? As a solo with no pre-made, will I be able to get group spots to XP?

The most active ever. You will have groups from 1 to 50 looking for people.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Bottom Liner posted:

You will see a bustling mix of different people. Returning players from a variety of eras remembering and relearning the game. Speed runners, but they are going to make it out of the early game pre quick. Entrenched players from other TLPs that will be familiar but just want to check out the new server atmosphere. You will see a a box crew or two, they irritate some people but don’t let it get to you. If zone seems crowded try /pick and see if you can spread out.

It’s the best time for finding random groups. You might get a good one you might get a sloppy one.
Have fun with it!

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

TLP are the most active they will ever be during the 1st month of launch, groups everywhere (well, the popular levelling spots at least, people still arent gonna be forming in splitpaw most likely). If you want to be a solo player joining groups theres no better time. They usually stay decently active thru kunark+velious tho over time there is less and less low level activity. 6 months in it'll probably be hard to find groups under 50 (probably earlier, depending on the server population)

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Verbose posted:

Until OoW paladins are better offtanks than SKs because they can generate a lot more agro a lot more quickly (barring HTing a mob or something dumb).

Once OoW hits, terror line goes way up in agro and SKs overtake snap agro, though paladins are still better than warriors at it. Also during this time your group heals get a lot better and you will make an appreciable difference in raid groups regarding keeping the group alive, oddly enough this is when the raid taking damage will start to go way up and group heals are important! This extends into group play as well since you can keep everyone alive, you pair VERY well with shaman as the group healer instead of a cleric.

Warriors will essentially always tank the Big Bad outside of a few fights in PoP.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

MF_James posted:

Until OoW paladins are better offtanks than SKs because they can generate a lot more agro a lot more quickly (barring HTing a mob or something dumb).

Once OoW hits, terror line goes way up in agro and SKs overtake snap agro, though paladins are still better than warriors at it. Also during this time your group heals get a lot better and you will make an appreciable difference in raid groups regarding keeping the group alive, oddly enough this is when the raid taking damage will start to go way up and group heals are important! This extends into group play as well since you can keep everyone alive, you pair VERY well with shaman as the group healer instead of a cleric.

Warriors will essentially always tank the Big Bad outside of a few fights in PoP.

That being said some of the most fun times I've had in POP era was kiting half of Plane of Earth with my SK and having a paladin peel off specific things to bring to the raid. And yes in OOW it was fun listening to them bitch. 'I had to use most of my stuns to pull that off you, what did you do to it.' ... 'One spell'.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Paladins are a class that you never really miss - you'd be fine if every tank was an SK or Warrior - but having one or even a couple in your raid is really, really nice.

If you make it to PoR, they make Ayonae really easy :v:

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Verbose posted:

Paladins are pretty chill for raiding. Similar to SK a lot of people coast by without ever tanking. Don't be afraid to tank, but try not to override another tank.

Paladins get the off/rampage tank jobs, but they do other stuff to. Group heals and cures are useful too. Paladins have some great group heals to help the weaker shm/dru healers. Pop and other expansions have swords that proc group heals.

Paladins are also great for stunning loose charm pets. In pop they get an AA stun that pushes without damage, which helps push mezzed mobs into a pile. (Other classes can push but they break mez.)

Paladins also get some early (pop?) target of target heals. You can splash heal main tanks without stopping dps. Main rotation involves stuns and either group/MT help. Lay on hands is also target of target so use it often.

They also get lull, root and a very good root spell in pop. It's very useful for ghetto crowd control and in some raid events.

The "no dps" complaint is mostly true. It doesn't matter because that's not your job.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
90min queue times now :getin:

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Queue is 2+hours for Yelinak.

Vaniki has zero queue. Oof. Server is DOA.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

It should be as popular as Selo. I’m just curious if the achievement rewards are good enough that there will be people wanting to buy carries from the top raiding guild.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

My vaniki group are all up to 24-25, we are having fun hanging out but yeah I definitely question how busy it will be in the long run. Still fun for now at least.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
I’m just wrapping up gloomingdeep. Taking it slow and steady.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

suuma posted:

Paladins are a class that you never really miss - you'd be fine if every tank was an SK or Warrior - but having one or even a couple in your raid is really, really nice.

If you make it to PoR, they make Ayonae really easy :v:

You'll miss 'em really fast right when the first SK has to be the one to wield the dumb DA hammer.
'Uh, I never did that quest' was my excuse.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
The tragedy of SK DA hammer is that you can’t get it until SoD because ~reasons~. Everything exists in the game to do it except the NPC who wasn’t added until well past when it was useful to have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Naggy already got taken down on Vaniki