Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Creator of the notable megadungeon, Barrowmaze, complains about "woke nonsense" on his newest KickStarter, resulting in a flurry of cancelled pledges:

quote:

If you enjoy an adventure steeped in the history and lore of the game, medieval fantasy, dwarves, and Anglo-Saxon history - and devoid of woke nonsense - this will be right up your alley.

In the comments section he pulls out the "both sides" and "I ignore all political issues when gaming" defense.

someone else posted:

Yes please, BOTH sides of it.

It’s a fantasy game, do whatever you like with it at your table. That’s what makes it great.

Exhausted with the culture wars, especially

Greg's response posted:

Completely agree which is why all my games avoid devolving in that manner.

Just good gaming.

Greg Again posted:

Choosing a more balanced ideology than wokism doesnt make someone right wing.

some other backer posted:

Oh my goodness -- the SJWs are out in force, complete with pitchforks and flaming torches.

Personally, I've dropped otherwise interesting projects because the authors felt it necessary to condescend to me about their gender issues, melanin issues, and general sense that the world somehow owes them a living. I wish I could buy TWO of these now, just to make clear that when I go to game, I don't want to hear about anyone's real-world mental perturbations. You can count on my support for any and all future products as long as you maintain the "no woke nonsense" (or for that matter, any other kind of nonsense), and just focus on doing what you do best -- deliver some of the best gaming material I own!

Greg's response posted:

I’m committed to making games devoid of that kind of ideology.

someone else posted:

Christ mate, can you just leave your politics out of it? Why does woke nonsense have ANY relevance to this or need to be brought up? I've loved your products but between this and the nonsense creeping in to the Talking Crit interview you're just starting to pointlessly shoot yourself in the foot and risk future sales.

Greg's response posted:

My politics ARENT part of my games. That’s the point. Nor will other types of politics get shoehorned in.

someone asks him to clarify posted:

And what exactly do you mean by “woke nonsense?”

Greg vagueposting posted:

A project that puts good gaming and solid dungeon crawling first and does not espouse a heavy handed politic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

“Melanin issues” sure is a loving term.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm getting some really big "gonna try to drum up some controversy to sell my extremely generic Dwarf Ruins Megadungeon KS" vibes.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Antivehicular posted:

I'm getting some really big "gonna try to drum up some controversy to sell my extremely generic Dwarf Ruins Megadungeon KS" vibes.

Very bad timing for him to do this, you'd think he'd wait until people couldn't ask for refunds anymore, rather than after most of the expenses have been paid but it hasn't been delivered yet.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Very bad timing for him to do this, you'd think he'd wait until people couldn't ask for refunds anymore, rather than after most of the expenses have been paid but it hasn't been delivered yet.

People like this have no ability to stfu with, often works against them

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Very bad timing for him to do this, you'd think he'd wait until people couldn't ask for refunds anymore

Ah, the Sandy Peterson method of Kickstarter management.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
loving crybaby chud shitweasel so buried in their own privilege they think that espousing white supremacy is "non-political" because they literally have never experienced anything else. It's just the wallpaper to them.

Covermeinsunshine posted:

People like this have no ability to stfu with, often works against them

Yeah, this is what it is. If someone believes this white supremacist nonsense but doesn't espouse it, in a practical sense there isn't much we can do short of reading their mind. The ones that 'get in trouble' (aka get a bunch of dumbfuck avowed chuds to buy their poo poo to 'stick it to those uppity so-and-so's' and start the gravy train selling brain pills) are the ones that compulsively cannot shut up, probably because they've been told from the cradle that they were super loving special so they are in love with the idea of their own genius and need to remind us all about just how fantastically S-M-R-T they are. But it's the left that are the snowflakes, right.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Nothing says apolitical like "Anglo-Saxon and no woke nonsense".

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Antivehicular posted:

Nah, Gillespie is just Like This.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Isn't he the professor whose students complain he makes them buy Barrowmaze in print for his course? Can't even hand out a free PDF.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Is he specifically using the OSR logo on his kickstarter account that the creator of the logo asked people to stop using (after asking people to stop putting it on things that could be considered hate speech, getting waves of harassment, and deciding he'd prefer to leave the community) out of spite or because he doesn't really care?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Isn't he the professor whose students complain he makes them buy Barrowmaze in print for his course? Can't even hand out a free PDF.

I would like to know more. Clearly cancel culture isn't doing its job if this is the first I'm hearing about this.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I would like to know more. Clearly cancel culture isn't doing its job if this is the first I'm hearing about this.

Here’s his RateMyProfessor: https://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=1109935

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

quote:

He is a decent guy who makes you work for your grade. Having him as a prof is like experiencing the "real world" because you do not receive any free passes and have to perform to achieve. More professors should be like him. Could be an easier marker, but that wouldn't be Greg.

lmao the only positive review I've seen.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

quote:

Do not take his courses. Incredibly disrespectful to his students, cannot see another side to any argument and has no regard for their personal issues and beliefs. Marks assignments with vague guidelines and total self-importance. For a professor in the Humanities, his courses and teaching style are downright inhumane. Tenure can't end soon enough.
:ironicat:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Being explicitly anti-woke to sell a product seems like a bad business move, especially in the long-term. I'm not privy to any secret marketing stats or anything, it just makes sense to me. The actually old grognard crowd isn't getting any younger or any bigger, and I don't think the tabletop analogy to Comicsgate is a very big market.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Also there is no need to be explicitly anti-woke

Just drop some of the dog whistles and be on your merry way, like so many do.

But I guess I shouldn't be unhappy that someone just showed their whole loving rear end.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

quote:

surprised that brock continues to consider profs like this a good representation of their university, especially considering gillespie doesnt even agree with brocks views in the first place. this course is just gillespie calling the class snowflakes and imposing his unwarranted political views on students and condemning them for disagreeing. avoid!

:allears:

Just an absolute treasure trove, thanks Lumbermouth!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Being explicitly anti-woke to sell a product seems like a bad business move, especially in the long-term. I'm not privy to any secret marketing stats or anything, it just makes sense to me. The actually old grognard crowd isn't getting any younger or any bigger, and I don't think the tabletop analogy to Comicsgate is a very big market.

people seem to be reading a bunch of backer quotes as being from gillespie himself. people in the OSR crowd do know he's a jackass and a chud but he keeps it pretty on the downlow and just sells "big classic megadungeons" of okay to good quality.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arivia posted:

people seem to be reading a bunch of backer quotes as being from gillespie himself. people in the OSR crowd do know he's a jackass and a chud but he keeps it pretty on the downlow and just sells "big classic megadungeons" of okay to good quality.

"Devoid of woke nonsense" and him cheering on the bigots while silencing anybody who's questioning him and at best responding to them with generalities and word salad is all things he's chosen to do out here in the open. I guess he did manage to keep it on the down low until now. Which is what people are responding to.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
There are dozens, possibly hundreds of other RPG writers churning out quality content that aren't racist piles of garbage. Whether or not his megadungeons are any good is kind of irrelevant.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Did some searching and found the initial reasons I was never gonna buy a game from this petulant little bitch.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Lumbermouth posted:

Did some searching and found the initial reasons I was never gonna buy a game from this petulant little bitch.

LOL, is that from DTRPG?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Lumbermouth posted:

wow yeah he used to be so low-key who could've foreseen the current turn of events

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I want to know what college course can justify having students do a book review of a D&D module

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

I want to know what college course can justify having students do a book review of a D&D module

Literally any course.

Kids need those grades. Professors have a comical amount of power

Being forced to buy a professor's book isn't that uncommon.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

he teaches a course on RPGs.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
PCUL 3Q91
The History and Culture of Role-Playing Games

(also offered as COMM 3Q91)

Tabletop gaming culture from the 1970s to the 2000s. Topics may include realism versus fantasy, moral panics and nostalgia.

Lectures, lab, 3 hours per week.

Restriction: open to PCUL, BCMN, COMM and MCMN majors until date specified in Registration guide.

Prerequisite(s): PCUL 2P20 or CPCF 1F25.

Note: labs introduce basic game design.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
game design desperately needs more of an academic / art-for-art's-sake current to push back against how overwhelmingly commercial the field is, but then there's this rear end in a top hat going "but how can i can make this profit ME?"

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

I would say you could easily put it in any of (in no particular order):

Anthropology
Gender, Women's, and Sexuality Studies
Sociology
Classical Studies (which can cover post-classical reception)
Medieval Studies (which can cover post-medieval reception)
Design Studies
Technical Writing
American Studies
Philosophy
History
Communication & Media Studies
Marketing
Linguistics

These forums critique game modules on all of these bases. If we can do it, academics can totally do it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

homullus posted:

I would say you could easily put it in any of (in no particular order):

Anthropology
Gender, Women's, and Sexuality Studies
Sociology
Classical Studies (which can cover post-classical reception)
Medieval Studies (which can cover post-medieval reception)
Design Studies
Technical Writing
American Studies
Philosophy
History
Communication & Media Studies
Marketing
Linguistics

These forums critique game modules on all of these bases. If we can do it, academics can totally do it.

I can kind of see the others (although it'd have to be a specialized upper division course for a bunch), but uh no I don't think I could I get that into one of my classes unless it's just as like a corpus of utterances in like a sociolinguistics course?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Xiahou Dun posted:

I can kind of see the others (although it'd have to be a specialized upper division course for a bunch), but uh no I don't think I could I get that into one of my classes unless it's just as like a corpus of utterances in like a sociolinguistics course?

Empire of the Petal Throne's language and linguistics was very well-integrated into its gameplay, might be an interesting test-case for constructed languages. Now let me drink a comically large cup of some very messy beverage while refreshing myself on what's been discussed about the creator recently...

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
In a way, the semiotic square is the Jaquays'd dungeon of language.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah I was thinking of you when I included it. I was considering both sociolinguistics and constructed languages (assuming we're talking about a game module that uses one).

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

homullus posted:

Yeah I was thinking of you when I included it. I was considering both sociolinguistics and constructed languages (assuming we're talking about a game module that uses one).

A profound lesson in that I should shut up more lol.

Yeah I can see it if there's a conlang aspect. When I've done that I've done more widely known examples that are a little more uh well constructed, but some of them could be good as negative examples.

But then again I'm not an Utter Douchebag so I don't assign my own work for the most part : closest I ever got is there's one class where they have to do a presentation on a real, actual paper and there's a couple of mine in the 30+ pool of available ones, but that's 1) optional, there are more possible papers than students, 2) mostly specifically because I have access and rights to my own stuff really, really easy so why wouldn't I toss something in.

There's a teeny tiny minority of people who use their own works for justifiable reasons like they're actually the authority and there aren't other options, but that doesn't look to be the case here.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

There's a teeny tiny minority of people who use their own works for justifiable reasons like they're actually the authority and there aren't other options, but that doesn't look to be the case here.
Or if they provide their own works at cost, in which case that's just a more formal take on a teaching aid. My Numerical Analysis textbook was exactly this and cost me $15 from Lulu.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

NGDBSS posted:

Or if they provide their own works at cost, in which case that's just a more formal take on a teaching aid. My Numerical Analysis textbook was exactly this and cost me $15 from Lulu.

Yeah, as you go up in education, you eventually reach a point where a prof's sufficiently detailed syllabus can blur into just being an ersatz deconstructed textbook too.

But keep in mind, unless they got totally bent over a barrel by their publisher, they should almost always have the rights to just hand you whatever they wrote. The big exception, outside of just being screwed over, is that monographs of dissertations can get solely owned by the institution granting a degree, which is super hosed up and why I had to give waaaaaaaay too much money to Dutch universities.

But, again, this ain't what's going on here from all reports and the guy is just a chucklefuck. This is just context for the larger phenomenon.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
He’d better have a big ol’ publication list for admin to let him get away with that crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah, as you go up in education, you eventually reach a point where a prof's sufficiently detailed syllabus can blur into just being an ersatz deconstructed textbook too.

But keep in mind, unless they got totally bent over a barrel by their publisher, they should almost always have the rights to just hand you whatever they wrote. The big exception, outside of just being screwed over, is that monographs of dissertations can get solely owned by the institution granting a degree, which is super hosed up and why I had to give waaaaaaaay too much money to Dutch universities.

But, again, this ain't what's going on here from all reports and the guy is just a chucklefuck. This is just context for the larger phenomenon.

I'd love for the publishing rights to my dissertation (LOL as if anyone else wants to read it) to have been owned by the granting institution instead of ProQuest.

hyphz posted:

He’d better have a big ol’ publication list for admin to let him get away with that crap.

Oh, it's very impressive, that's why he cites his RPG works each several times.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 26, 2022