Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That’s an extremely silly argument in a character with at the time 800 issues.

Though it isn’t really an argument more a bad faith attempt at an own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though it isn’t really an argument more a bad faith attempt at an own

I am not sure you know what 'Bad faith" means.
it not a 'bad faith' anything, it's just my reading of it. I am sorry you do not agree with it. I am not telling anyone else they are wrong.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't fully agree with Chip but I see his point.

Like if Spidey all of a sudden started punching heads off, you can say "Spidey wouldn't do that" and that's valid, especially if it just started happening without any reason given.

Characters that have been around for like 60 years tend to have a history of acting and thinking certain ways, and when someone comes along and breaks that, I think it's perfectly fine for people to criticize it.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
i think i am the weirdo that, unless it's a major shift, i tend to just roll with the changes/voice of the new writer. I feel like these characters aren't real, and if a version i do not like or agree with comes along, i can easily dip out and come back in like a year or 2 when stuff resets. I know some people are more invested or passionate about certain characters, so maybe i am just apathetic to changes in characters because after 30+ years of reading comics, I have been through the cycle so many times.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i think the important point is the length of time slott was on the book. like yeah if spidey does some weird poo poo in a one off mini just move on, but writing a character over a decade of time i think chip is right that that is what the character is

until someone else comes along and it's not anymore

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

enigmahfc posted:

i think i am the weirdo that, unless it's a major shift, i tend to just roll with the changes/voice of the new writer. I feel like these characters aren't real, and if a version i do not like or agree with comes along, i can easily dip out and come back in like a year or 2 when stuff resets. I know some people are more invested or passionate about certain characters, so maybe i am just apathetic to changes in characters because after 30+ years of reading comics, I have been through the cycle so many times.

I think it's something one has to learn to stay with the medium, because eventually they're coming for everyone. No character is safe from an awful characterization.

Currently waiting on the next Phoenix force reset.....

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm surprised echo still has it tbh

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I'm half expecting there to be some kind of hand-off during AXE. Or at the very least a fight between Echo and Jean.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

enigmahfc posted:

I am not sure you know what 'Bad faith" means.
it not a 'bad faith' anything, it's just my reading of it. I am sorry you do not agree with it. I am not telling anyone else they are wrong.

oh no believe me, he knows exactly what bad faith means

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CharlestheHammer posted:

I'm not going to bat for Slott here but I wouldn't bring up 800 issues of Amazing as an argument against him considering he is arguably 150 of those. Like, more than any other writer on Amazing and more than many others combined.

But obviously there's far more to Spider-Man than just Amazing anyway.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The Echo-Jean confrontation is going to go one of two ways, depending on which writer exactly gets to tackle it.

Either Echo will come at Jean with a whole lot of brute force bravado and Jean will be like "lol no I know all ur fenixy tricks" and put her down with some finessed telepathy.

Or, Jean will seem to do that, but Echo will then go "you're old news, you were never the real Phoenix but I'm definitely no takebacks the best Phoenix ever actually and also absolutely Thor's mom for realsies no matter what!" and then yeet her into space or something.

Which will happen? Well, Jason Aaron isn't writing any of this event afaik so chances of the latter are substantially slimmer.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It'd be funny if they just have a calm discussion about it. Like what usually happens when your current SO meets an ex you're friendly with.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well, it sure would be nice if any Avenger and any X-Men could ever actually just have a calm discussion about things, and yet..

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Skwirl posted:

It'd be funny if they just have a calm discussion about it. Like what usually happens when your current SO meets an ex you're friendly with.

Kinda like Batman and Captain America in JLA/Avengers. I loved the characterization of that moment.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nilbop posted:

Kinda like Batman and Captain America in JLA/Avengers. I loved the characterization of that moment.

Wasn't it like, they fight briefly and Batman's all "you'll probably eventually win, but it will take so long to get to that point, let's do something useful instead." Been a while since I've read JLA/Avengers.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
They had a number of friendly conversations at the Hellfire Gala and then they had some friendly conversations in Trial of Magneto.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Wasn't it like, they fight briefly and Batman's all "you'll probably eventually win, but it will take so long to get to that point, let's do something useful instead." Been a while since I've read JLA/Avengers.

They squared off and Batman conceded that, yeah.

I'm also thinking that AXE is gonna be more like Avengers in the middle.

Also in the latest X-Men, Scott is saying how he hates lying to the Avengers and wants to be honest with them. I think once this event is over, they'll probably be on more friendly terms.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Skwirl posted:

It's been a while, but as I recall it goes down exactly like this:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm so pissed I wasn't able to get a copy of the recent Hero Initiative reprint.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Nilbop posted:

It's been a while, but as I recall it goes down exactly like this:

One of my favorite things about JLA/Avengers is how it makes a convincing case that Captain America is Marvel's Batman AND Marvel's Superman.

I love the bit where Batman tries talking poo poo about Ben Grimm and Cap shuts that poo poo down immediately.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

the other best parts of JLA/Avengers are Batman taking way longer than he expected to take out Batroc and also Batman abandoning neutrality on a survey of Marvel earth to kick the poo poo out of the Punisher, off panel.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Karma Tornado posted:

the other best parts of JLA/Avengers are Batman taking way longer than he expected to take out Batroc and also Batman abandoning neutrality on a survey of Marvel earth to kick the poo poo out of the Punisher, off panel.

was JLA/Avengers written before Jason Todd came back as Red Hood or after, because if it's after I'm gonna call him a hypocrite.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Isn't Iron Man Marvel's Batman?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The X-man cometh posted:

Isn't Iron Man Marvel's Batman?

They're both rich and popular, but other than that not really.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Marvel’s Batman is the X-Men

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Iron Man is more like Marvel's The Atom. They're both billionaires with Iron Man suits. But The Atom's Iron Man suit can shrink so it doesn't have to do all the extra stuff Iron Man's Iron Man suit can do

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

oh poo poo it's actually happening. Same creative team so it's probably going to be terrible

https://twitter.com/TsuburayaGlobal/status/1526548096141893640?s=20&t=mkyoeZGqtWkiCKRuH77DFQ

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Gripweed posted:

Iron Man is more like Marvel's The Atom. They're both billionaires with Iron Man suits. But The Atom's Iron Man suit can shrink so it doesn't have to do all the extra stuff Iron Man's Iron Man suit can do

You have no idea what you are taking about.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mr Hootington posted:

You have no idea what you are taking about.

Now that you mention it, you're right, these are not similar in any way shape or form. What a fool I was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi5uZHlHVWY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7MkeI-9WdU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

You really have no idea what you're talking about.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Gripweed posted:

Now that you mention it, you're right, these are not similar in any way shape or form. What a fool I was.

He linked the arrow verse Atom didn't he?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
The team on Moon Knight is killing it. Another great issue.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
From a purely visual standpoint, Iron Man and the Atom are similar but not at all from a character standpoint. Atom’s counterpart is Ant Man. You know, the guy with a suit that makes him change size.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gripweed posted:

Atom is only an Iron Man knockoff in the CW universe, in the comics he's just a size changer like Ant-Man, though Ant-Man came second

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gripweed posted:

You have the worst gimmick on the entire forum

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I always thought of Daredevil as the Batman of Marvel. With them both having Frank Miller redefining runs in the 80s, very hard boiled noir influenced avengers since then. And that particular style of noble gravitas, peas in a pod those guys.

Gripweed posted:

oh poo poo it's actually happening. Same creative team so it's probably going to be terrible

https://twitter.com/TsuburayaGlobal/status/1526548096141893640?s=20&t=mkyoeZGqtWkiCKRuH77DFQ

Gotta love toku. I know people enjoyed the nutty Godzilla Marvel comic back in the day. Speaking of licensed stuff, other than Star Wars (also Disney), I wonder if they'll do any unexpected great licensed runs at Marvel again. Though IDW seems to have the niche of licensed stuff mainly covered.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

I always thought of Daredevil as the Batman of Marvel. With them both having Frank Miller redefining runs in the 80s, very hard boiled noir influenced avengers since then. And that particular style of noble gravitas, peas in a pod those guys.

You aren't the only one

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That rules! I've so gotta read that Waid run.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I mean, Daredevil doesn't drive a fancy car, because, you know...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It's a shame we never got a Daredevil/Batman crossover on the level of that Batman/Spider-Man crossover where Carnage gets irritated with the Joker but doesn't kill him because he's easily distracted