Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Speaking of Vita Ayala, they are easily in my top 5 favorite current X-Writers. I loved their Shadow King arc, and am really excited to see what they do with a Magik focused story. Bringing Madelyne Pryor into that is an interesting direction, and I'm betting Vita will have a great take on her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Vita Ayala writes some great New Mutants.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

glitchwraith posted:

Speaking of Vita Ayala, they are easily in my top 5 favorite current X-Writers. I loved their Shadow King arc, and am really excited to see what they do with a Magik focused story. Bringing Madelyne Pryor into that is an interesting direction, and I'm betting Vita will have a great take on her.

I love that we live in a moment when "top 5 favorite current X-writers" is something one can say with a straight face.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I grew up watching the 90s cartoon and have always had a soft spot for the X-Folk, but didn’t really pay attention to comics until a little before the Utopia era started, and it was absolutely heartbreaking how even some of my favorite writers were releasing mostly mediocre books with maybe like one or two titles at any time being good. The idea was really interesting and I liked the change of the status quo but it just felt like the writers weren’t allowed to do anything cool with it.

And now we’re getting the Krakoa era which is a superficially similar status quo but just so incredibly rad and different and even the mediocre books are at least trying something weird or different even when it doesn’t land.

Anyways X-books are cool right now and they’ve been a nice little beacon of enjoyment during the last couple years

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot
Duggan is crushing it on X-Men for sure. This week's issue had great moments for so many of the characters.

And that last page. Hooboy.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
So the great X-Read Book Club thing I do with friends finish up with Age of X-Man this week. I read about the first half of it as it was getting released on MU and then just fell behind and never finished it until now.

That storyline is profoundly loving weird and I'd argue even in a comic line filled with insane stories and concepts, it is VERY high on the list of most batshit things ever. And it's not even in the setup, which in and of itself is out-there. One of the books ends with people drinking on a theater roof just before joining a cohort to blow things up randomly! Another ends with MULTIPLE bait and switches and the main character choosing to have their memory erased because movies make people happy or something! All that hippie poo poo was fake and why were they looking for Omega Red??!!!

I really liked some of the characterizations- Glob and Blob in particular!- and there's some interesting ideas being tossed out. But overall it's just loving bizarre. And cool that they got away with how loving bizarre it was.

We've decided to not continue onto Krakoa, for now. After much debate, we have decided the next stuff we're reading is... X-Men Forever. It fits thematically with the original concept (reading post-Claremont crossovers/big storylines). I am also excited because I have heard it is garbage.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Speak posted:

Duggan is crushing it on X-Men for sure. This week's issue had great moments for so many of the characters.

I literally said "of-loving-course" out loud.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

wiegieman posted:

I literally said "of-loving-course" out loud.

RE: the last page reveal, we've never seen a Mr. Sinister with a club on his forehead before, right? He also looked like he had a pretty standard skin tone and facial structure as compared to OG Sinister. Breakaway non-mutant from the Sinister System, Nathaniel Essex untouched by Apocalypse, sleeper agent activated by OG Sinister?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Speak posted:

Agreed. Good to see some movement on the Cordyceps Jones front, and it seems like that will present an interesting threat to the X-folks.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Rochallor posted:

RE: the last page reveal, we've never seen a Mr. Sinister with a club on his forehead before, right? He also looked like he had a pretty standard skin tone and facial structure as compared to OG Sinister. Breakaway non-mutant from the Sinister System, Nathaniel Essex untouched by Apocalypse, sleeper agent activated by OG Sinister?

I'm hoping that the club is a play off of main sinister's diamond rather than main sinister always having had a diamond because he was a set of four that..Each had a different card suit on their forehead. But it's X-Men so it's anyone's guess

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I managed to read the spoilers for X-Men in here and forget about them by the time I read the issue. Proud of myself.

Duggan is bringing his threads together and I'm excited for the next issue. The writing on this has been much better than his already good Marauders and Larraz continues to do great work.

Additionally, the spoilered panels below are absolutely true and blew my mind when I read them:

Hope that this plot point gets more development down the line.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Hope borrows other mutant's powers and she gets called the savior of mutantkind, with several crossovers revolving around her, and a seat on the coucnil

Everett borrows other mutants powers and he gets to die, for about 20 years, and then after coming back has a primarily off-screen romance that he then gets unceremoniously de-synchronized (irony) from

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

It's okay, he gets to be one of the most powerful characters in the franchise and do cool stuff in exchange.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

We mustn't have Sam Raimi movie spoilers, I had Charles wipe my mind just in case there was a spoiler just now.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

OnimaruXLR posted:

Hope borrows other mutant's powers and she gets called the savior of mutantkind, with several crossovers revolving around her, and a seat on the coucnil

Everett borrows other mutants powers and he gets to die, for about 20 years, and then after coming back has a primarily off-screen romance that he then gets unceremoniously de-synchronized (irony) from

Yeah, but Synch was my favorite Generation X team member, and now he gets to be one of my favorite X-Men team members.

To be fair, though, with this writing, the current team is pretty much all my favorite X-Men team members. They're all great!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Big week for X books! Red and Immortal were great, New Mutants seemed okay though I'd probably appreciate it more if I was more familiar with Magik's background, and Wolverine and X-Force were pretty much business as usual.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Big week for X books! Red and Immortal were great, New Mutants seemed okay though I'd probably appreciate it more if I was more familiar with Magik's background, and Wolverine and X-Force were pretty much business as usual.

I haven't read it yet, but you should definitely get more familiar with Magik's backstory because it's equal parts insane, tragic and loving metal.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Chinston Wurchill posted:

You absolutely should seek out New Mutants' Inferno issues.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

You absolutely should seek out New Mutants' Inferno issues.

I would say her mini then New Mutants inferno, for an abbreviated History of Magik.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Gillen's X-Men is the best book since Hellions. Man, oh man, this is how you use continuity. I wish Steve Orlando would learn from Gillen instead of doing whatever the hell's going on in the new Marauders.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I appreciated the Arakii referring to Fisher as "weaponless". Nice bit of characterization of them.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Immortal was fantastic. I really missed this version of Hope. I liked Red too, but I'm already kind of sick of Brand's scheming and some people seeing it and some people apparently being too dumb to realize it. And Manifold needs to be in books.

Wolverine and X-Force are trash. I think Percy's Deadpool is even worse than Way's.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Immortal was great as usual (I know its only been two issues, still) but if Red is going to be Brand's lovely dysfunctional X-Men VS Storm's extremely competent and cool Brotherhood going forward, that'll be pretty funny

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I like how you just know Fisher King is a badass just by how the writing handles him, and he hasn't even really done anything physically yet.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Codependent Poster posted:

I liked Red too, but I'm already kind of sick of Brand's scheming and some people seeing it and some people apparently being too dumb to realize it. And Manifold needs to be in books.

I dunno, this week's Red was good in that it showed Eden can sniff out a bullshitting schemer (because he was trained by king bullshit Nick Fury). He'll probably be back with his own team.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm fine with red consisting of endless opportunities for storm to be awesome. i also strongly support brand's plan, because gently caress both those guys.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
XMen Red needed more Max. The little we got was awesome though.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Every X book this week was good, imho. I understand that Percy isn't the most popular author but I think his Deadpool really splits the difference between the movie version and the character that has existed in comics for a couple decades.

Immortal was fantastic! Gillen gives the characters so much life with his words, Hope really shone in this issue but the attention to Exodus was just as good.

New Mutants - if I had to guess, I would say that this arc will be about accepting trauma and moving on from it, so Magik won't step down from ruling Limbo but she might find a way to share and lessen the pain with Madelyn. Ayala clearly cares for the emotions of their characters and it's refreshing to read a title about people who are working on bettering themselves with support from their friends.

Red was a little Random. Storm can kick my rear end any day of the week and I like how Ewing picked up and ran with some of the Hickman plot threads. X-Men Red is such a perfect team of losers.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

X-Men Red was my top pick of the week, though it had stiff competition. I love that it's basically Storm fighting alongside this new culture, thematically and literally opposing a colonial force secretly aligned with supremacists. Setting up that conflict while also giving plenty of the characters time to shine (along with more Ororo kicking rear end), and it was just a really fun read. Having Brand then decide to increase her power by going after the one person on the Circle literally no one likes is an interesting wrinkle, and I can't wait to see how it shakes out. I'm also loving the nuance Ewing is adding to Arakii culture. It'd be so easy to depict them as stereotypical, "might makes right" barbarians, so it's really cool seeing that notion dispelled by making a powerless human an Arakii folk hero.

Immortal was as good as expected. I was a bit surprised after that first issue reveal that Sinister didn't immediately revert to an earlier Moira Clone Check Point, but I guess a Kaiju wasn't a big enough threat to his plans. I largely missed the era that introduced Hope, so getting to see her be badass this issue was great, as was her unexpected chemistry with Exodus.

I suspect this arc of New Mutants will also start slow, like the Shadow King arc did, though I'm assuming limiting the cast will speed things up a bit. That aside, I'm digging the exploration of trauma this seems to be setting up, and am curious about the time travel shenanigans that are being hinted at. I know second hand that Limbo is outside of time, and it looks like Ayala will be leaning on that.

Not an X-Book, but Eternals this week set the stage for the upcoming crossover after ending it's Thanos story-line. In short, Druig has managed to become their leader, and plans to consolidate his powers by using mutants as a convent enemy, using a technically true but purposefully arbitrary reading of their lovely core tenets.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Latest New Mutants is a must read if you're a Magik fan.

I still have to catch up on Wolverine and Excalibur, but it seems like the X books are doing just fine without Hickman helming the ship. I'm having a great time catching up with the last few weeks worth.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Open Marriage Night posted:

Latest New Mutants is a must read if you're a Magik fan.

I still have to catch up on Wolverine and Excalibur, but it seems like the X books are doing just fine without Hickman helming the ship. I'm having a great time catching up with the last few weeks worth.

Hickman labored so GIllen and Ewing could shine. I can take or leave the rest, but Immortal and Red are great.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have a handful of writers who I will check out anything they're working on. It doesn't mean I'll love whatever it is, but I might be interested. Hickman, Gillen, and Ewing are on that list.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Legion of X is off to an interesting start. Only nitpick is it's a little strange they keep insisting the new team aren't cops while at the same time leaning into police procedural tropes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

On the other hand, they haven't murdered anyone yet, so maybe they're not cops.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Endless Mike posted:

On the other hand, they haven't murdered anyone yet, so maybe they're not cops.

I didn't pick this up because I didn't love WoX but... Are they bad at their jobs? Because if they are, then they might be cops.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

On Spurrier and pulpy crime fiction tropes, he did The Simping Detective too, always worth a look.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Spurrier's writing through WoX and now LoX is really odd. He's trying a lot to tackle big themes and present complicated ideas, but the ideas are oddly conceptual or ethereal, and a lot of them are just overexplained for the limited page space available. It's a loose, sort of chaotic mess that I still kind of like for some reason, though I can't help but feel he'd rather just be writing a novel. :v:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

LoX was interesting but also kinda... Not super engaging? Every scene with Nightcrawler and the eye had me tuning out.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

LoX put out a bunch of interesting plot hooks but doesn't really focus enough on one yet. I'm at the very least interested seeing more of what sounds like Loki loving around and finding out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Yeah, there's like three different plots in Legion of X you could write a book around: Nightcrawler's not-cops, Legion's flitting around the edges of Krakoa, and more Arakko politics stuff. They're all interesting, but I can't see how he's going to be able to thread them together with 22 pages a month.