Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
https://twitter.com/paleofuture/status/1529652093354536961

If it weren't for my other kid, if I was one of these parents and they prevented anything from happening and did nothing to help stop it I don't know if I'd not be able to do some redacted poo poo blaming them. The families involved in police injustice are stronger than I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Cops are loving scum

e: sorry, feelings a little heated atm. I'm sure there's some who aren't totally terrible

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Good lord, what a loving disaster. Christ.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Cops are loving scum

e: sorry, feelings a little heated atm. I'm sure there's some who aren't totally terrible

Plate carriers, ARs, high-cut helmets and they’re standing around like they’re at the loadout selection screen in a Call of Duty game instead of charging at the classroom.

You want gun control, fine. I want some loving cop control.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1529671100157894657

Does a BORTAC team seriously not have any means of breaching?

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 26, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It has been said that to turn an rear end in a top hat into a pussy, all you have to do is give them a badge and a gun.

MYTH BUSTED

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I have been out a couple years, but I don't remember being told during armed duty training to not immediately engage if there's an active shooter and you can do something about it. I probably got bad training.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Cops are loving scum

Don't feel too bad, the "good" cops still refuse to enforce any accountability among their peers,

Like say there's a frat that's particularly know for raping people. Our bright eyed idealist joins this organization without ever expecting to rape anyone. But he doesn't want to be ostracized as a new member, so he helps look away from or actively cover up the rapes that are happening. Maybe they throw in some bullshit about how college life is just so stressful and those women were asking for it anyway, Our non-rapist OP who may even hold deep beliefs about rape is still abetting it for social reasons.

That's the general culture with cops. If you're not actively supporting their corruption, you can't be trusted. How can anyone reform an institution from the inside when the institution itself and its elected leadership are just plain not interested in reform?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I honestly don't think I could live with myself if I'd stood around outside of a school and literally prevented people from going in to do something, even if that was to just die, while a bunch of kids got killed. But I guess that whole "make it home no matter what" mentality keeps a gun out of their mouth.

I've never been shot at. I've never had a gun pointed at me. It's possible I curl up in the fetal position and piss myself in that situation. But I can't imagine standing there and doing nothing. I just can't. I'm not that kind of person.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

So the cops’ story is a Wendy’s employee with probably minimal experience bested three officers in a gun fight then devised a nearly unbreachable barricade?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1529617687894274048?s=21&t=YduyZtPwaZceOpdEydf3hw

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

The layout matches what you can find for the school on google images and they're representing that classroom as having windows. Maybe I just don't get it but if the classroom he was in had windows on the other side and they didn't move around to there ?????

It's late and I'm inept so not cropping that on my phone

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 26, 2022

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
I suspect that the only reason anyone survived in that classroom is because he dropped his spare ammo early and ran out of ammunition in the classroom. The CBP Agent might have just got lucky that he rushed a person who was no longer able to return fire.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Give the cops all the guns and APCs and hovercraft in the world and they won't rush a shooter to save kids in a classroom.

gently caress the Police. ACAB.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

see the real issue is that only a good guy with a gun can stop a bad guy with a gun and everyone knows cops aren't the good guys. This is why we should arm the teachers and probably the children instead.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Don't feel too bad, the "good" cops still refuse to enforce any accountability among their peers,

It was more an apology to the ones in here who aren't terrible. Didn't want them to feel singled out.

El Mero Mero posted:

see the real issue is that only a good guy with a gun can stop a bad guy with a gun and everyone knows cops aren't the good guys. This is why we should arm the teachers and probably the children instead.

I mean hell at this point,

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Tom Morello was right: arm the homeless.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
At this point I'm just waiting for the reveal that the cops also shot a bunch of the kids when they breached the room

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

jesus christ.

e: i'm stoned as gently caress atm and i honestly don't know how someone could go through with that and still exist as a functioning human being. like, gently caress. if that was me in that dude's shoes i would have just shattered into a million pieces on the spot.

there are no words.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Don't worry, they're already on it

https://thefederalist.com/2022/05/25/tragedies-like-the-texas-shooting-make-a-somber-case-for-homeschooling/

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

https://thefederalist.com/2021/03/04/its-time-to-re-open-schools-its-time-to-defund-the-teachers-unions/

https://thefederalist.com/2020/07/13/keeping-schools-closed-ensures-inequity-and-chaos/

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 26, 2022

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Here's a perfect example of Federalist Brain, I've never seen a better example so far in my life:

https://twitter.com/Bry_Mac/status/1529524375359307777?t=fIZJcjzGmNw4rtedr7g5kQ&s=19

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

facialimpediment posted:

I'm thinking WaPo's account is the correct one and more or less explains everything.

https://twitter.com/PeterFinnWP/status/1529645391809064961?t=AzT0__IyPYiYEpAadAzTXw&s=19

So what likely happened is: gunman parks/crashes, then starts a shootout with the school officer. Two local cops show up, then they get into a shootout. Then the gunman gets into a classroom and... probably doesn't do anything for a while! And all hell breaks loose, as you'd think.

At that point, the local police likely thought they were in a standoff/hostage situation versus a roaming shooter. So rather than rush everyone like we all thought they should - they likely feared that rushing in would make him kill everyone. But then he killed everyone anyways so welp :v:

Edit: I'm really thinking that explains the local police's response and bystanders' "what the gently caress are they doing, go it!" standpoints. Local police thought it was a hostage situation, not Columbine. Or, they were making what the sports world would call a "business decision" and turned chickenshit. https://twitter.com/RobTornoe/status/1529650693774233602?t=hymSUJMFC0cw0sV-o9ZFsg&s=19

This is so beyond vile and disgusting. If I was a parent of one of those kids I'd definitely kill myself. I wouldn't ever recover. This is horrific. That video with the father is soul crushing.

As far the timeline and sequence of events, one question I have, that we won't know for a while, is when exactly did he kill the kids and teachers in the classroom. If he did all of the killing as soon as he got in there, or after he barricaded the door, then did the police not rush the target because they were all already dead? Is that the callous calculation they made, that since he was contained in one classroom it was better to just keep him in there? Did they even HAVE him contained at that point? If they had him contained, was the gap because they were evacuating all other classrooms so that the ensuing firefight when they breached the door wouldn't kill any kids in other rooms as dozens or hundreds of rounds go through the walls?

What's with the loving 40 minute gap. That's my biggest question. Did they have a 40 minute firefight with the rear end in a top hat?

Or did it take them 40 goddamn minutes to get some loving shields and halligan and a battering ram? How hard is that? How does that take 40 loving minutes?

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 12:01 on May 26, 2022

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
....oops

Should have loaded the last page.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

facialimpediment posted:

Here's a perfect example of Federalist Brain, I've never seen a better example so far in my life:

https://twitter.com/Bry_Mac/status/1529524375359307777?t=fIZJcjzGmNw4rtedr7g5kQ&s=19

Timmy, get those crayons off the javelin!

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Bored As gently caress posted:

This is so beyond vile and disgusting. If I was a parent of one of those kids I'd definitely kill myself. I wouldn't ever recover. This is horrific. That video with the father is soul crushing.

As far the timeline and sequence of events, one question I have, that we won't know for a while, is when exactly did he kill the kids and teachers in the classroom. If he did all of the killing as soon as he got in there, or after he barricaded the door, then did the police not rush the target because they were all already dead? Is that the callous calculation they made, that since he was contained in one classroom it was better to just keep him in there? Did they even HAVE him contained at that point? If they had him contained, was the gap because they were evacuating all other classrooms so that the ensuing firefight when they breached the door wouldn't kill any kids in other rooms as dozens or hundreds of rounds go through the walls?

What's with the loving 40 minute gap. That's my biggest question. Did they have a 40 minute firefight with the rear end in a top hat?

Or did it take them 40 goddamn minutes to get some loving shields and halligan and a battering ram? How hard is that? How does that take 40 loving minutes?

What pisses me off is that you KNOW those cops are posting poo poo about the thin blue line and all their tacticool poo poo. They act all tough and spec ops, but in reality they are all cowards.

That guy's 10 year old daughter at least tried to do something. She was braver than the cops that day.

Words cannot express my anger right now.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I’ve increased my weed smoking the last few days.

I’m obviously anxious but at the same time I’m just kind of numb to all of it.

It’s been a firehose of bad news for seven years. And probably longer, but we made a (maybe final) turn into whatever reality this is in 2015.

Never any good news.

For seven years.

20% of my life has been nothing but bad news with the dial turned up to 1000. And over half of my life has been post-9/11.

I can’t help but just kind of shrug my shoulders and tacitly accept that this is who we are as a species.

I think it’s time to take a break from the thread again and I encourage others to do the same. Stop doomscrolling for a day or two.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/tomscocca/status/1529654397998972929

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Bored As gently caress posted:

Even if he shot them all immediately, waiting means you’re missing the golden hour to save kids. I can guarantee that at least a few bled out before receiving care. There is no explanation beyond they are cowards. The had no problem tasing unarmed parents trying to save kids, but they were fully tail between their legs when it mattered.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1066476196534411268?s=20&t=8Tttdjla2h-5KPijR1KGqA

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
TBF, "no reduced crime" may just be because the SROs are busting kids for dress code violations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

stealie72 posted:

TBF, "no reduced crime" may just be because the SROs are busting kids for dress code violations.

Yes, most SROs are just used as a way to punish kids rather than helping anyone.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

stealie72 posted:

Based on my school experience it was mainly girls getting busted for not giving the SROs their phone number

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

boop the snoot posted:

I’ve increased my weed smoking the last few days.

I’m obviously anxious but at the same time I’m just kind of numb to all of it.

It’s been a firehose of bad news for seven years. And probably longer, but we made a (maybe final) turn into whatever reality this is in 2015.

Never any good news.

For seven years.

20% of my life has been nothing but bad news with the dial turned up to 1000. And over half of my life has been post-9/11.

I can’t help but just kind of shrug my shoulders and tacitly accept that this is who we are as a species.

I think it’s time to take a break from the thread again and I encourage others to do the same. Stop doomscrolling for a day or two.

I read a academic paper or article a while back- the study of remains from the dark ages and early medieval times indicated that something like 40% of people died of violent means or suffered significant violence over the course of their lives. Human history is a study of awfulness.

It kinda is who we are as a species.

I suggest you maybe lay off the weed, maybe give micro-dosing of Psilocybin a try. It can do wonders for anxiety and help break cycles of thought that build and build that anxiety and subsequent depression.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Plate carriers, ARs, high-cut helmets and they’re standing around like they’re at the loadout selection screen in a Call of Duty game instead of charging at the classroom.

You want gun control, fine. I want some loving cop control.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1529671100157894657

Does a BORTAC team seriously not have any means of breaching?

Kinda curious if doors had been hardened to allow for lockdowns from active shooters.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1529670885770027008

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Get the gently caress out of here.

They have their OWN SWAT TEAM and this still happened?

Looks like 40% of their police budget needs to go towards firing these guys and training what is left.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1529835819564949507?s=21&t=WC8n1mR6xyA5012j2PTR1Q

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Dingleberry posted:

I suggest you maybe lay off the weed, maybe give micro-dosing of Psilocybin a try. It can do wonders for anxiety and help break cycles of thought that build and build that anxiety and subsequent depression.
Not sure why, exactly, but I feel the need to leave this here. Lyrics and music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gBV-Nzq7Pg

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

stealie72 posted:

Not sure why, exactly, but I feel the need to leave this here. Lyrics and music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gBV-Nzq7Pg

Sturgill good, but so is Childers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrHd3nkCIz4

E: sorry, brainfarted into thinking this was the music thread. But I'll leave my mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

preemptive :rip: to those victims