Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Brawnfire posted:

A penny farthing with chainsaws coming out of the spokes of the bigwheel, just cutting through swathes of undead until one of them gets lodged under the tire and the rider goes flying to his death

Hang on, the "bigwheel" already has a designated name. That's where the name penny-farthing comes from. You clown.
Otherwise yeah, that would be pretty sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannibal Llama
Jan 3, 2020

Cannibal Llama sounds like it could be a zany intentional throwback to mid OOs Penguin of Doom tier usernames but it also sounds like it could be the name of the lamest possible Metal Gear Solid boss so please don't make fun of it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

World War Z: a mix of totally realistic zombie scenarios and also a katana wielding hikikomori and his blind sensei.

I only read that book once back in like 2007 or so when my taste was even worse then it is now(and even then I thought it was kind of lame) but didn't WWZ have a section on Israel where not only is Israel the only country in the middle-east that escapes fairly unscathed from the zombie apocalypse and is implied to go on to become a global superpower afterwards but they also like allow Palestinians and Arab refugees into their country out of the goodness of their hearts or whatever? Like the Arab/Muslim refugees are shocked by how nice and generous the Israelis are or some poo poo.

I think there was a small mention of certain Jewish religious extremists being pissed about this but it lasts all of a single page and the rest is just the cool IDF narrator talking about how badass AND generous the Israelis are.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Cannibal Llama posted:

I only read that book once back in like 2007 or so when my taste was even worse then it is now(and even then I thought it was kind of lame) but didn't WWZ have a section on Israel where not only is Israel the only country in the middle-east that escapes fairly unscathed from the zombie apocalypse and is implied to go on to become a global superpower afterwards but they also like allow Palestinians and Arab refugees into their country out of the goodness of their hearts or whatever? Like the Arab/Muslim refugees are shocked by how nice and generous the Israelis are or some poo poo.

I think there was a small mention of certain Jewish religious extremists being pissed about this but it lasts all of a single page and the rest is just the cool IDF narrator talking about how badass AND generous the Israelis are.

All I remember is the woman who got rich afterwards by inventing houses on stilts, and that nobody knows what happened in North Korea, everyone just vanished.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Cannibal Llama posted:

As I remember it, yes. Very very funny stuff

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I loved WWZ at the time, but haven't revisited it. I can say his recent Sasquatch book was terrible though.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

the_steve posted:

All I remember is the woman who got rich afterwards by inventing houses on stilts, and that nobody knows what happened in North Korea, everyone just vanished.

Baba Yaga stolen valor, smdh

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
WWZ was always terrible and nerds just pretended it was different than any other generic 'brave operator does cool military badass things' slop because there'd be like one chapter where there was kinda a funny bit about a local mayor or something. Every other chapter was just generic 'A BAD rear end SEAL TEAM OF SOLDIERS SHOWED THOSE EGGHEADS WHAT FOR BY BLASTIN ZOMBIES' or 'YOU JUST NEED TO BE TACTICAL TO SURVIVE IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU'RE A TOTALLY USELESS DORK AS LONG AS YOU'RE TACTICAL'

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

WWZ is a real grab bag but there are some great bits in it. It's just that the cringe really stands out.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Analytic Engine posted:

Baba Yaga stolen valor, smdh

Now I wanna see Baba Yaga's hut go full raptor on a bunch of zombies.

I am easily influenced.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Brawnfire posted:

Twilight with zombies

In addition to Warm Bodies, there's a Disney Channel show just called "Zombies" which is this exact premise. Although it has teen zombies and doesn't explain if they've been teens for decades or if zombies gently caress.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Never read the World War Z book, but the movie was dumb and had a lot of dumb things.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
The movie and the book basically share a title.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Disco Pope posted:

In addition to Warm Bodies, there's a Disney Channel show just called "Zombies" which is this exact premise. Although it has teen zombies and doesn't explain if they've been teens for decades or if zombies gently caress.

The, 'Hi, how are you?/Nailed it' line was great, honestly.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Page 697 of this thread hasn't aged particularly well. Calories in, calories out, it's just thermodynamics, and weight loss is as easy as weighing your food is... I don't have a eating disorder but imagining my friends who do coming across that page. Oof.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Torquemada posted:

Exactly, you can lose weight eating anything. Just eat less than you expend .

Oh yeah shove that completely blind to how eating disorders work poo poo right into my viens. I think this guy still posts even

mandatory lesbian has a new favorite as of 00:33 on May 26, 2022

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Applying the thread title to the thread itself and then explaining it?

I guess that means you endorse it.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Goons? With bad ideas about food and health? I don't believe you!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm usa-pilled so I learned a little thing called "personal responsibility" that the dirty poors refuse to understand

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Fighting Trousers posted:

The movie and the book basically share a title.

No basically about it, they *definitely* share a title

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
For the Love of Him by Bobbi Martin

This powerful song about acquiescing to your emotionally manipulative husband's every need at all times and that's all you should think about when you are and when you are not doting on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVL1SvMfxnI

My dad had like this Great Hits of the 60s (or 70s or whatever) and this song was on it. I used to listen to it and I really liked it. When I was in my twenties I downloaded it and actually listened to the lyrics for the first time and haha holy poo poo what a hosed up song.

Here are the lyrics:

When he opens the door
Says, "I'm home"
Be aware of the look in his eyes
They tell you the mood he's in
What kind of day it's been

Chorus:

For the love of him
Make him your reason for living
Give all the love you can give him
All the love you can

There'll be times when he won't say a word
And you wonder if it's something you said
The gentle touch of your hand
Tells him you understand

chorus

Little things he forgets to do
Have you told him today I love you?
When he reaches out be there
Show him that someone cares
He's a man and a man has to try
Let him run, let him fall, let him cry
His world won't fall apart
If you take him into your arms

chorus, chorus, chorus...

credburn has a new favorite as of 01:41 on May 26, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

alpha_destroy posted:

Page 697 of this thread hasn't aged particularly well. Calories in, calories out, it's just thermodynamics, and weight loss is as easy as weighing your food is... I don't have a eating disorder but imagining my friends who do coming across that page. Oof.

yeah I like the part where the law of physics cease to apply to the human body and that's a completely rational thing to argue

also like 90% of that page is about demonizing how insane amounts of sugar consumption is typical, and how that's responsible for far more weight problems then trans fats ever were.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 01:54 on May 26, 2022

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

credburn posted:

For the Love of Him by Bobbi Martin

This powerful song about acquiescing to your emotionally manipulative husband's every need at all times and that's all you should think about when you are and when you are not doting on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVL1SvMfxnI

My dad had like this Great Hits of the 60s (or 70s or whatever) and this song was on it. I used to listen to it and I really liked it. When I was in my twenties I downloaded it and actually listened to the lyrics for the first time and haha holy poo poo what a hosed up song.

That song sounds it's deliberately trying to fool you into believing it's a Dusty Springfield song. In particular, the structure reminds me of Goin' Back.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
With the poo poo with Josh Duggar, and in the near years if any more victims from that poo poo family come out, do you think the entire X Kids and Counting is going to be an entire badly aged thing? Is it yet?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Maybe showing my ignorance but (eating disorder talk) isn't calories in/calories out a relatively accurate way of looking at the base mechanics of how body fat works?
I could understand if it's not a a helpful thing to say when talking about weight loss unless you're mentioning it to someone who's bought in to weird gimmick diets, but isn't it true with some massive caveats?
Namely that people's brains pretty much refuses to look at food in terms of calories and often create minor obsessive behaviors (not counting much more severe eating disorders) in response to attempts to diet, that people cutting calories often naturally reduce their physical activity, and that cutting calories without good nutrition can cause blood glucose levels to drop too much which makes it harder to think, severely exacerbating the first two issues in addition to having a large impact on quality of life.

I can understand if I'm a goon with bad ideas about food and health lmao I'm just wondering if this is me having crazy ideas or if it's just a "be very careful how you phrase something that could be interpreted as 'eat less to lose weight'" thing.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Count Uvula posted:

Maybe showing my ignorance but (eating disorder talk) isn't calories in/calories out a relatively accurate way of looking at the base mechanics of how body fat works?
I could understand if it's not a a helpful thing to say when talking about weight loss unless you're mentioning it to someone who's bought in to weird gimmick diets, but isn't it true with some massive caveats?
Namely that people's brains pretty much refuses to look at food in terms of calories and often create minor obsessive behaviors (not counting much more severe eating disorders) in response to attempts to diet, that people cutting calories often naturally reduce their physical activity, and that cutting calories without good nutrition can cause blood glucose levels to drop too much which makes it harder to think, severely exacerbating the first two issues in addition to having a large impact on quality of life.

I can understand if I'm a goon with bad ideas about food and health lmao I'm just wondering if this is me having crazy ideas or if it's just a "be very careful how you phrase something that could be interpreted as 'eat less to lose weight'" thing.

Yeah pretty much. Lets say you eat 2400 calories a day, and your body uses 2300. So you have 100 calories extra, causing weight gain. You decide to reduce your calorie intake to say, 2200 so you should theoretically be in a calorie deficit, and cause weight loss. Only oops, your body goes "oh poo poo, fewer calories? Time to slow down body processes!" and now you're using 2100 calories/day. Hey look, no actual calorie deficit. Or you'll lose muscle instead of fat, or your body will suddenly absorb more of the calories you consume in a day instead of just letting them pass through you.

There are an incredible array of variables in weight gain+loss to the point where nobody actually knows what the gently caress goes on inside the body. Lots of assumptions and generalizations are made, and many many opinions on why people can't lose weight is often boiled down to "personal failure". Your body has evolved over millions of years to store energy and will do everything in its power to avoid losing fat.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Anything over 2000/day is maintenance, so the problem is thinking cutting a mere 100 a day is going to do anything if you're still eating 2200.

Hack it down to 1400 and magically weight will drop.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Byzantine posted:

Anything over 2000/day is maintenance

Isn't somebody 6' tall going to have a hugely higher maintenance calorie level than a person who's identical outside of being 5' tall, since the amount of cells that require energy to maintain is going up in a non-linear fashion? :v:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Byzantine posted:

Anything over 2000/day is maintenance, so the problem is thinking cutting a mere 100 a day is going to do anything if you're still eating 2200.

Hack it down to 1400 and magically weight will drop.

It was an example, don't be pedantic.

Dropping calorie intake by 1000 a day is not sustainable. Theres a reason something like 98% of people who diet put all of their weight back on within 5-10 years

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Count Uvula posted:

Isn't somebody 6' tall going to have a hugely higher maintenance calorie level than a person who's identical outside of being 5' tall, since the amount of cells that require energy to maintain is going up in a non-linear fashion? :v:

No. There is a difference, but it's not a huge one. The difference between a 5' man and a 6' man of the same weight is like 250 calories per day.

Sure, if you're The Rock you need 5,000 calories a day just to maintain, but you aren't The Rock.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

It was an example, don't be pedantic.

Dropping calorie intake by 1000 a day is not sustainable. Theres a reason something like 98% of people who diet put all of their weight back on within 5-10 years

Ok, but that's still "calories in, calories out". You aren't absorbing weight from the dark energy that powers the expansion of the universe, you're eating more calories than you burn.

Byzantine has a new favorite as of 06:36 on May 26, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, in a broad sense Calories In/Calories Out is true and thermodynamics does apply but your body actually has a decent amount of wiggle room on the calories out side of things so that's potentially a lot more complicated than it sounds at first.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
If your 'beep boop calories' argument doesn't take into account how 95% of all diets fail because of human factors then it's pointless pedantic bullshit that helps no one.

Might as well just change your name to Richard Dawkins or deGrasse Tyson and go post on Twitter about it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If your 'beep boop calories' argument doesn't take into account how 95% of all diets fail because of human factors then it's pointless pedantic bullshit that helps no one.

Might as well just change your name to Richard Dawkins or deGrasse Tyson and go post on Twitter about it.

Human factors like what? Can you name some? Some metabolic reason that diets "fail" at a 98% rate?

Outside of diagnosed medical conditions that gently caress up your metabolism and body regulation it absolutely is exercise+food intake that controls weight and pretending like it's some arcane science that can never be solved because so many people fail is the kind of poo poo people scream at a doctor telling them they need to lose 10% of the body weight because their joints are dissolving.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 07:29 on May 26, 2022

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

pentyne posted:

Outside of diagnosable medical conditions that gently caress up your metabolism and body regulation it absolutely is exercise+food intake that controls weight and pretending like it's some arcane science that can never be solved because so many people fail is the kind of poo poo people scream at a doctor telling them they need to lose 10% of the body weight because their joints are dissolving.

Lots of assumptions and generalizations are made, and many many opinions on why people can't lose weight is often boiled down to "personal failure".

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Goons? With bad ideas about food and health? I don't believe you!

Can we go back to talking about dragonball z or something? It's far less poo poo of a topic.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

pentyne posted:

Human factors like what? Can you name some? Some metabolic reason that diets "fail" at a 98% rate?

Outside of diagnosed medical conditions that gently caress up your metabolism and body regulation it absolutely is exercise+food intake that controls weight and pretending like it's some arcane science that can never be solved because so many people fail is the kind of poo poo people scream at a doctor telling them they need to lose 10% of the body weight because their joints are dissolving.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Guess we found the Torquemada rereg

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

pentyne posted:

shut up nerd

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

pentyne posted:

Human factors like being human and not a bomb calorimeter.

People aren't mindless machines and trying to treat them like they are is going to fail. And apparently it fails around 95% of the time.

If your big idea fails 95% of the time, then it's a bad idea and we need to try something else.

Brought to you by "Why don't addicts just stop doing drugs"

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 08:28 on May 26, 2022

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

alpha_destroy posted:

this is a beautiful post, Eris’ apple for a modern era

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Furiosly types was anyone in DBZ on a diet.