Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I don't think that's 200 individual voters.

I strongly suspect that this is one of those systems where voting is done by shares. So if you own 1 token you get 1 vote, and if you own 1 million tokens you get 1 million votes. Same way most companies do stockholder votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

nullEntityRNG posted:

I think this is what baffles me the most about this. You're telling me that out of, according to estimates, the 6000 billion token holders, 200 million basically went "whoopsies! That didn't happen. Were back to normal and everything is back the way it was before the crash"

So 0.003% of the luna holders decide the fate of the entire currency? And they dont see this as a hilarious juxtaposition of current economic disparity....oh wait right. gently caress you, got mine logic.

Pretty sure that's not the number of people who voted, but rather the number of tokens that voted.

Since anonymous trustless blockchain systems are fundamentally incapable of enforcing "one person, one vote", they instead go with "one token, one vote". If you buy up 1 million Luna, you get 1 million votes.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
Correct. 200 million "shares" voted yes, but there is apparently 6000 billion luna tokens that was issued out. Now I'm sure a huge amount of those have been burned or in dead wallets so its slightly hyperbolic but its still nutty they can just go "mulligan" and people latch back on

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

nullEntityRNG posted:

I think this is what baffles me the most about this. You're telling me that out of, according to estimates, the 6000 billion token holders, 200 million basically went "whoopsies! That didn't happen. Were back to normal and everything is back the way it was before the crash"

So 0.003% of the luna holders decide the fate of the entire currency? And they dont see this as a hilarious juxtaposition of current economic disparity....oh wait right. gently caress you, got mine logic.

What part of "trustless, decentralized, democratic currency" and "immutable Blockchain" don't you understand, commie?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

nullEntityRNG posted:

Correct. 200 million "shares" voted yes, but there is apparently 6000 billion luna tokens that was issued out. Now I'm sure a huge amount of those have been burned or in dead wallets so its slightly hyperbolic but its still nutty they can just go "mulligan" and people latch back on

Voting no: "we do nothing, and your luna tokens continue to be worth nothing"
Voting yes: "we do the ponzi again with luna 2.0, and your luna 1.0 is worth nothing"

They're voting on whether they should have cherry or tropical punch variety of Flavor Aid with their cyanide. Is it really that surprising that voter turnout was low?

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c

priznat posted:

How do you prove your ownership of these stupid apes anyway. Is there a qr code or some poo poo or is it way way dumber (I am guessing dumber)

It's easy just transfer it to my account to prove it's yours (I pinky promise to give it back)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Doesn't that just outright gently caress all the people who bought 1 trillion Luna for 100 bucks last week?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Heath posted:

Doesn't that just outright gently caress all the people who bought 1 trillion Luna for 100 bucks last week?

Should've thought of that before buying the dip

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Heath posted:

And?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
CODE IS LAW

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

what's really funny is how all blockchains are highly forkable. since there's nothing backing them except attention and expectation, it's weird it doesn't happen more often. surely the rational thing to do after any transaction where you spend any money on ScamCoin is to fork the chain to when you didn't and spam your twitter with SuperScamCoin – if you had ScamCoin now you have SuperScamCoin as well!

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Gutcruncher posted:

Okay I guess that’s a use of NFTs. “Making tickets worse by empowering scalpers more”

Finally, NFTs are useful!

Once had someone tell me that NFTs would fix the scalper problem and acted like I was an idiot when I said NFTs are a godsend for scalpers.

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

I vaguely remember there was a "hack" of a different coin/chain recently where the attacker bought enough of the coin supply so he had a quorum, ran a poll like that, voted it legal for him to "loan" himself all the other coins from everyone, then immediately just cashed out.

I know very little about bitcoin and these governance things so I'm probably wrong but that's what I remember from the story and it made me lol. :yayclod:

Edit: This is what I was remembering: Beanstalk Farms Lost $180M in Flash Loan Attack, Hacker Donates 250K USDC to Ukraine

\/\/\/ - "You know, blockchain is so secure, why don't we build the blockchain rules out of blockchain? Genius!" =D

Lor fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 26, 2022

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Lor posted:

I vaguely remember there was a "hack" of a different coin/chain recently where the attacker bought enough of the coin supply so he had a quorum, ran a poll like that, voted it legal for him to "loan" himself all the other coins from everyone, then immediately just cashed out.

I know nothing very little about bitcoin and these governance things so I'm probably wrong but that's what I remember from the story and it made me lol. :yayclod:

Nah, that’s about it. The only other amusing detail is that he acquired enough BlorpoCoins to have majority share by using a relatively small flash loan.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The funny part is that most of the cryptocurrency they stole (the "BEANs") immediately became worthless as a result of the hack, so the thief didn't even profit from stealing it. It was purely an act of economic arson, the equivalent of taking and burning someone's money.

Though they also had 24,830 Ethereum that the hacker stole (worth almost $50 mil), a lot of which the hacker seems to have cashed out already. They could've just stolen the eth, but they chose to completely destroy their community instead. You gotta respect that.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The funny part is that most of the cryptocurrency they stole (the "BEANs") immediately became worthless as a result of the hack, so the thief didn't even profit from stealing it. It was purely an act of economic arson, the equivalent of taking and burning someone's money.

Though they also had 24,830 Ethereum that the hacker stole (worth almost $50 mil), a lot of which the hacker seems to have cashed out already. They could've just stolen the eth, but they chose to completely destroy their community instead. You gotta respect that.

F

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

But the libertarians assured me a rational actor would never do that.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
*extremely Michael Caine voice* some people just want to watch the world burn

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

correct, actually, because there's no stablecoin counterpart now. it will fail in a completely new way

My mistake, I assumed that they would just dust themselves off and fork Luna. Instead they're starting a completely new blockchain and trying to get people to put money in by airdropping Luna 2.0 tokens to existing 1.0 bag holders who look gullible enough to get involved again

https://www.coindesk.com/tech/2022/05/25/terra-snapshot-expected-this-week-heres-how-new-luna-will-be-distributed/

Seriously anyone who loses money on Luna v2.0 just can't be helped. All you can do is point and laugh

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
*hands u the worst poo poo imaginable* first ones free....

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Such is the dichotomy of crypto. The people voting for this might not believe in the viability of the new project, or crypto at all, but they can certainly believe in the shared delusion that it will be worth something, particularly in the immediate short term post launch, so they realise it makes more sense to possess something that hasn’t started smelling yet compared to something that has been dead for weeks.

It always amuses me how there are vesting periods with this stuff (not sure if It’s the case with this) to prevent people just dumping their gifted coins on the market. It’s almost as if everyone involved knows that this is the prudent strategy, so they have to prevent it happening lol.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
I was listening to a podcast today and I heard something that made me laugh

It's David Spade on Smartless, (Jason Bateman, Sean Hayes, Will Arnett) and there's a bit at the end when Spade is talking about selling his house and he mentions that some prospective buyers offered half cash/half bitcoin and said they could get him some prime real estate in the metaverse. "I'm just looking for money right now at this juncture" is a good line.

Showed me another way some of these scammers are converting their internet pogs into proper money.

Here's a link to the bit in the podcast.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4yTfBe7FkOYNnrAPTL1g8M?si=wyV2u5wZQVWdkaRFeA9jAw&utm_source=copy-link&t=3779

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Dutch Postoffice releases NFT stamps
Hoping to make stamp collecting cool again.

quote:

The ‘NL crypto stamp’ is a physical postage stamp that has a ‘digital twin’ in the blockchain. This digital version becomes visible by scanning the QR code on the physical stamp. You can then activate, collect, exchange and trade it via blockchain. Its digital twin is a so-called non-fungible token (NFT).

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
Could someone tell me how a Luna 2.0 would be worth anything more than 0 at launch? As all the cash is gone

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Betjeman posted:

Could someone tell me how a Luna 2.0 would be worth anything more than 0 at launch? As all the cash is gone

Crypto attracts morons.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Betjeman posted:

same as any other shitcoin, the belief that it will go to the moon or at least get back to $100 due to collective delusion

there is no stablecoin this time (at least so far)

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I keep loving thinking of grifts, and I run it by some of my moral compass people and they are like "yeah it would probably work, but that's wrong, and you would feel bad later."

But someone is going to take their money anyway. I could at least put it to better use. Not just for me. Just skim a finders fee.

Curse you, ethics.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
I've read most of this thread and I still don't understand crypto mindset. At the end of the day crypto is worthless and it's only the dollar backing it that gives it any notional value.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Betjeman posted:

I've read most of this thread and I still don't understand crypto mindset. At the end of the day crypto is worthless and it's only the dollar backing it that gives it any notional value.

That's because you aren't a moron. At least not about cryptocurrency.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/brookverse/status/1529197352459837444

Notorious R.U.G.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

I was eating some notorious big rap snacks the other day. They were pretty good they were a sweet jalapeno bbq flavor and I got them from a best buy

maybe I should put all my money into this

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Mozi posted:

CODE IS LAW

hollerin' this as I propel my Tercel into a ten foot thick concrete barrier at maximum speed, turning my remains into a red mist

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

Mad Dragon posted:

Notorious R.U.G.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

hollerin' this as I propel my Tercel into a ten foot thick concrete barrier at maximum speed, turning my remains into a red mist

"code is law," i assure myself as i close my eyes and ram the federal reserve with my lovely bronco

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Betjeman posted:

"At the end of the day"
The trick is NOT to have crypto at the end of the day now.
It's get in at the start, keep it for a short time, and hopefully sell higher before the rug is pulled or it just crashes.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zFTOqSi99I

Death to Meow Meow Beanz

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Betjeman posted:

Close.
Now factor in the vast amount of real world electricity, warehousing, electronics etc. required to keep the lights on, which is constantly (almost invisibly) draining more and more real money out of the box...

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
To quote that one professor, cryptocurrency is a deeply negative-sum game, worse than a ponzi scheme because of all the value that is drained out of it by the mining process. It needs that many more suckers drawn into it to maintain the pyramid before it collapses.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Betjeman posted:

The fact that every cryptobro talks about their paper gains in currency that actually matters (e.g. USD) should tell you (and them really) everything you need to know about its :airquote: intrinsic value :airquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Betjeman posted:

I've always found this nickname sums the crypto mindset up quite succinctly:

https://twitter.com/codinghorror/status/414157007625531394?s=20&t=gSkvhVWquh_Uw_00KAWoWg