Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Is a betta safe around 1 dwarf ram (german) and 1 reticulated loach (aka: My loach-a-cola)? I miss having activity here, and it's coming to nanofish, a betta or skrimps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Aerofallosov posted:

Is a betta safe around 1 dwarf ram (german) and 1 reticulated loach (aka: My loach-a-cola)? I miss having activity here, and it's coming to nanofish, a betta or skrimps?

I don't know that I would put a ram and a betta together, unless it's a really large tank, like north of 20 minimum. Both rams and bettas will eat shrimps, as well (I had a great shrimp colony get scarfed down by a ram once). A ram and a loach or a betta and a loach would probably be fine.

ETA: I just started my first outdoor mini pond. I have some kohaku guppies in there right now with a bunch of plants (it's 40 gallons) - tossing cherry shrimp in there a good idea or bad?

Bonster fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 24, 2022

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
FInally finished cycling the other day and I moved my tetras into their new home. Now I'm still deciding what to put in next...I'm going to add some more glo tetras in it maybe bring it up to about a dozen and then find a pleco that wont grow to 2 ft long. The green and orange ones look great under the purple light.

After that I'm open to suggestions. I'd like something that pops, maybe like 5 or 6 angelfish but I've been told the tetras will nip at them. If I was starting from scratch I'd just do a cichlid tank but I don't think i can add any of those unless I'm ok with them being assholes to all the existing smaller fish.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

You could do some smaller cichlids like rams or apistos, they get along with tetras alright.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I’ve kept black skirt tetras with angels for years with no problems in my 55g.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
RAINBOW CICHLIDS (Herotilapia multispinosa)

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

My crazy fish breeding project is off the ground!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Those are some really cool rocks, what kind are those?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Kinda looks like dry saltwater rock.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Those are some really cool rocks, what kind are those?

Live rock I bought off some guy shutting down a huge tank. Some of it is definitely natural (large acrorn barnacle looking shells, etc.) but some is probably artificial. He said it'd been running for four years.

I was planning on cycling it myself but lucked out finding someone unloading a ton of rock. Instant cycle!

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Finally getting control over the tank back. Water is starting to clear. I had one of those Tera whisper filters for a 20 gal running and it was the finickiest, non whispering filter I ever dealt with. If the inlet tube was placed right the impeller would make a loud humming. adjusting the inlet to stop the humming, even the slightest twitch, it would stop sucking in water. I'd come back after weekends and the filter would be humming away but drawing no water. Add to that on anything past 50% flow it would just overflow and pour water out the overflow trough next to the inlet, whether there was a filter or no in the thing. Tank was getting cloudy all the time. So I tossed it and got a Marineland Penguin and things are clearing up. Plus the tetras like to play in the outflow stream.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Live rock I bought off some guy shutting down a huge tank. Some of it is definitely natural (large acrorn barnacle looking shells, etc.) but some is probably artificial. He said it'd been running for four years.

I was planning on cycling it myself but lucked out finding someone unloading a ton of rock. Instant cycle!

What are you planning on breeding?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Bonster posted:

What are you planning on breeding?

Clownfish and banggai cardinals to start, but eventually I really want to breed fairy basslets.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Wonderful! I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes for you. I love my clown pair - they have so much personality.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I've seen some banggai cardinals at the LFS and they are super cute, the fairy basslets look amazing though! Good luck with the project, breeding fish is so much fun (and stress).

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I have always wanted to breed banggais, but since I have so many issues catching my yellow labs to keep the holding females from spitting in the tank, I doubt I could do marine.

one day maybe. I mean if I don't kill my cool seastars in the meantime. What size tanks are you using, pairs, groups, etc, or planning to?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

I have always wanted to breed banggais, but since I have so many issues catching my yellow labs to keep the holding females from spitting in the tank, I doubt I could do marine.

one day maybe. I mean if I don't kill my cool seastars in the meantime. What size tanks are you using, pairs, groups, etc, or planning to?

I'm using 29s (55 for the sump). I'm going to use pairs for the clownfish, and picked up a trio of banggais to try and get a pair.

Right now I'm thinking:
1 tank w/ 2 oscillaris and the 3 cardinals
1 tank w/ 2 tomatos

And the other tanks just stay full of rocks, for future grow out use.

If/when I get eggs or fry, I'm going to use bins (on order) or a 10 gallon tank. I did banggais this way once a bit over a decade ago. It worked well right up until I stupidly tried to move all the fry to a new tank and killed them all.

I've got plankton on order, rotifer cysts in the fridge, and I already have bbs on hand for my CPDs.

I am so loving excited :-)

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 28, 2022

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Well. Turns out I had a die-off. :smith: Now I have one hillstream loach and one Dwarf Ram.

Would CPDs be good to add? They look ultra cute, but some neon tetras would rule, too. Or some gobies.

Edit: Congrats on the fishies!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
replacing/sizing up the two individual painted turtle enclosures and moving to much bigger tubs

right now I’m thinking one FLUVAL 307 for each, for a combined ~$360 but alternatively I could save up another $200-350 and go for FX4s or FX6s if it means never ever replacing the filters again

If y’all think I could do it cheaper I’d love to know, but the 307 at ~$185 seems like the sweet spot in the lineup vs its less powerful siblings at $120 and $140, respectively

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

My angelfish with unilateral Popeye died yesterday. I tried repeatedly treating with Metro, Furan, salt and MelaFix and nothing worked. It got pretty horrific at the end in terms of tissue pushing out of his eye socket. Given how poorly it responded to treatment I think it may have actually been a tumor of some sort.

bobbert
Dec 8, 2002
Fish N Scooters
Fun Shoe

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I'm using 29s (55 for the sump). I'm going to use pairs for the clownfish, and picked up a trio of banggais to try and get a pair.

Right now I'm thinking:
1 tank w/ 2 oscillaris and the 3 cardinals
1 tank w/ 2 tomatos

And the other tanks just stay full of rocks, for future grow out use.

If/when I get eggs or fry, I'm going to use bins (on order) or a 10 gallon tank. I did banggais this way once a bit over a decade ago. It worked well right up until I stupidly tried to move all the fry to a new tank and killed them all.

I've got plankton on order, rotifer cysts in the fridge, and I already have bbs on hand for my CPDs.

I am so loving excited :-)

Hey! I had a breeding pair of Bengaii for about 5 years. I didnt intend to pair them but they ended up breeding. They would mate every 8 or 9 weeks? The male would swallow (I think) every other mouth brood of eggs because he couldnt eat while he had the eggs in his mouth. He only had a few weeks max between broods to eat. Because of this the male ended up growing quite a bit slower than the female. I had a thought about setting up a breeding setup but never committed. I feel like trying to cycle the female between two male tanks to max out production. I grew out a number of the babies in my sump.

I caught him once with the first brood and put him in a breeding net for the baby release. I could not catch him again unless I wanted to rip apart my 65 gallon. I had a long spine urchin and the babies would hang out in it which was cool as poo poo. I know people will make fake ones for the babies to hide in. You can see the live babies peeking out of the males mouth after they hatch, they look just like the parents and are very cute. Seemed like fresh hatched baby brine worked well for feeding the babies. Love the setup and good luck!

Here are some shots of my current tank after being on a break 6 years while I moved around. It was a seahorse tank now its more of a gorgonian tank. I can post more details and shots later.

bobbert fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 1, 2022

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I've just gotten a rabbit snail, and I absolutely adore him and his goober face.

However, he keeps climbing all over the place and then dramatically falling down to the bottom. I'm worried about him damaging his shell - should I be worried or is this just what they do?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Enfys posted:

I've just gotten a rabbit snail, and I absolutely adore him and his goober face.

However, he keeps climbing all over the place and then dramatically falling down to the bottom. I'm worried about him damaging his shell - should I be worried or is this just what they do?

that’s just what they do, it’ll be fine

the only things that could damage its shell are an infection, a severe metabolic/mineral problem, a surely-fatal and extreme ph swing in the water, or a predator with shell cracking abilities

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Enfys posted:

The sound of snails falling down is just something you get used to if you keep a lot of snails.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

replacing/sizing up the two individual painted turtle enclosures and moving to much bigger tubs

right now I’m thinking one FLUVAL 307 for each, for a combined ~$360 but alternatively I could save up another $200-350 and go for FX4s or FX6s if it means never ever replacing the filters again

If y’all think I could do it cheaper I’d love to know, but the 307 at ~$185 seems like the sweet spot in the lineup vs its less powerful siblings at $120 and $140, respectively

I love the Eheim Classics and they work great, compare the pricing and you'll probably come away happy and with a filter that doesn't have a bunch of dumb stuff that can go wrong like the Fluval microchip pump optimization bullshit. You want a container with a pump and some tubes, you don't NEED phone apps or LED screens etc. Go simple and reliable.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

bobbert posted:

Hey! I had a breeding pair of Bengaii for about 5 years. I didnt intend to pair them but they ended up breeding. They would mate every 8 or 9 weeks? The male would swallow (I think) every other mouth brood of eggs because he couldnt eat while he had the eggs in his mouth. He only had a few weeks max between broods to eat. Because of this the male ended up growing quite a bit slower than the female. I had a thought about setting up a breeding setup but never committed. I feel like trying to cycle the female between two male tanks to max out production. I grew out a number of the babies in my sump.

I caught him once with the first brood and put him in a breeding net for the baby release. I could not catch him again unless I wanted to rip apart my 65 gallon. I had a long spine urchin and the babies would hang out in it which was cool as poo poo. I know people will make fake ones for the babies to hide in. You can see the live babies peeking out of the males mouth after they hatch, they look just like the parents and are very cute. Seemed like fresh hatched baby brine worked well for feeding the babies. Love the setup and good luck!

Here are some shots of my current tank after being on a break 6 years while I moved around. It was a seahorse tank now its more of a gorgonian tank. I can post more details and shots later.

How long did it take before the fish got to breeding size, and what did you do with the fish you produced?

When I did banggais before I had an urchin and it was awesome. The 29 is a bit small for one though.

Nice tank! Gorgonians are super pretty but anything NPS scares me. How do you handle nutrition?

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 1, 2022

bobbert
Dec 8, 2002
Fish N Scooters
Fun Shoe

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Nice tank! Gorgonians are super pretty but anything NPS scares me. How do you handle nutrition?

These are apparently mostly photosynthetic, only one of them has a whiter polyp all the others are brown https://www.live-plants.com/. I am trying to setup a tank for NPS corals though and have a almost dead Dendronephthya that I got cheap from a lfs. Currently I am dosing 4ml of "reef energy plus" amino acid and 2.5ml of easyreef phyto for food spread throughout the day. Dosing Bulk Reef Supply 2 part with Mag on another 4 channel dosing pump. My game plan for the tank is to have everything automated without a tank controller for one week intervals. I am manually feeding some reef chili a few times a week but want to eliminate this with another dosing pump so I can do it more frequently but dont have a solution yet. When I started the tank I stocked it with pods and I ordered some live amphipods to get food stocks up. https://www.aquaculturenurseryfarms.com/live-saltwater-fish-food/amphipods/

I had one gorgonian lose a bunch of tissue during acclimation and it recovered within a few months. Everything has been going great with the gorgs so far.

quote:

How long did it take before the fish got to breeding size, and what did you do with the fish you produced?

When I did banggais before I had an urchin and it was awesome. The 29 is a bit small for one though.

I think I had them a year before they started? They were wild caught and I would say medium sized. Well over the size of a silver dollar. I worked at a reef shop at the time so I brought them in to sell them to customers. It was awesome and it seemed so easy to breed them I wanted to take pressure off wild caught but never had the right living situation. I think people were sticking wooden skewers in ceramic and making fake urchins for the babies and they were going for it. The female was an absolute pig and was getting huge it was cool.

bobbert fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 1, 2022

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

right now I’m thinking one FLUVAL 307 for each, for a combined ~$360 but alternatively I could save up another $200-350 and go for FX4s or FX6s

I feel like the only thing Fx style filters have going for them is giant hard to clog mechanical filtration around the entire perimeter of the canister, it really takes away from usable biological filtration capacity but maybe that is something you want for messy livestock like turtles. Much easier to clean a 307 than an FX6 in my opinion, and they also have a big mechanical filtration part too. I do think turtle filtration has different goals to fish filtration so getting the best result might not look the same for turtles as for fish. In my imagination, turtle filtration might look more like a koi pond with a bottom drain to pull solids out? I’ve never kept them so I don’t really know how easy it is to filter up turtle turds.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Is this a carnation coral? I thought they were really hard to keep alive

bobbert posted:

I wanted to take pressure off wild caught

That's my motivation too

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 1, 2022

bobbert
Dec 8, 2002
Fish N Scooters
Fun Shoe

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Is this a carnation coral? I thought they were really hard to keep alive

That's my motivation too

Yeah carnation coral, super hard to keep alive. There is a person on reef2reef in a huge thread that is claiming that with amino acids you can keep them. Everything happens super slow with them I have had it for about 1.5 months and now has a little bit of polyp extension. It doesnt look worse but I wouldnt say it has recovered much though. Here are a couple of shots of my purple photosynthetic sponge its looks so much like monito cap sps its cool. Its actually floppy though so when the shrimp climbs on it flops around. New red photosynthetic sponge that is right next to it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I run one each of the FX4/5/6 on my bigger tanks with large cichlids, but I've also got supplemental filtration in those with sponge filters and hobs. They are a pretty simple design, and my oldest FX5 has been running for close to 10 years now. Eheim Classic are great too, I've got one of those on a 55g that is probably close to 20 years old now.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

bobbert posted:

Yeah carnation coral, super hard to keep alive. There is a person on reef2reef in a huge thread that is claiming that with amino acids you can keep them. Everything happens super slow with them I have had it for about 1.5 months and now has a little bit of polyp extension. It doesnt look worse but I wouldnt say it has recovered much though. Here are a couple of shots of my purple photosynthetic sponge its looks so much like monito cap sps its cool. Its actually floppy though so when the shrimp climbs on it flops around. New red photosynthetic sponge that is right next to it.

I can't keep those photosynthetic sponges alive. They do *great* for a bit, then tank. They're consuming something in the tank that I don't add quickly enough

bobbert
Dec 8, 2002
Fish N Scooters
Fun Shoe

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I can't keep those photosynthetic sponges alive. They do *great* for a bit, then tank. They're consuming something in the tank that I don't add quickly enough

The growth has been crazy, I had a pineapple sponge bloom and then die off probably from silicates? This thing has kept going, biggest issue I have had is flatworms which I have been manually removing and have under control now. Here is a shot from 6 months ago it was two pretty small frags. I gave it a really good spot though under high lighting and mild/med current. I feel like 6 months is around burn out time if your chemistry is good enough but not providing enough food or something. Have to see if I make it to a year.

Current pic

bobbert fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 2, 2022

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

My reef tank is floundering. My 2 year old Hammer Coral just died, my Duncan looks bad, and my war coral is looking rough. My plating Monti is growing incredibly though, to the point where I'm suspecting that's why the other stuff is suffering. Either that or the refugee Peppermint Shrimp I put in from another tank killed the Hammer, there seems to be active debate about whether or not they do that. I think it is more likely that my coral grew past the biomass that could be supported by my setup/water change regimen.

E: My ATO also broke a few months ago so maybe that's a factor.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo, that is horrible! Can any of them be fragged off to save portions? Is that a thing you can do with those corals?

What's an ATO?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

Oh poo poo, that is horrible! Can any of them be fragged off to save portions? Is that a thing you can do with those corals?

What's an ATO?

ATO = auto top-off, adds RODI to your tank as water evaporates. More critical in salt since evaporation leads to fluctuating water parameters due to the increased mineral concentration.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh dear, I don't have that on my small tank. But can't you just top off manually too with freshwater, it's what I've been doing, but I also don't have corals.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

What's an ATO?

The hammer only had 2 heads to begin with and it looks dead, dead. The Monti is as easy as breaking pieces off and gluing them to frag plugs, not much harder than snapping a potato chip. I recently snapped a hole bunch off and moved it to my frag tank. The war coral would be harder, you'd need a wet saw setup, but I"m hopeful it will bounce back after I increase my maintenance and reduce more Monti.

E: I travel for work sometimes so having the ATO put my mind at ease when someone was watching the tank. I really liked it. I'll probably get another one but I am very annoyed it only lasted 2 years. I think it was ~$130. And yes, you can totally just add RO/DI to replace the evaporation, but for corals having the consistency be automatic can be a big help for keeping things as stable as possible.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 2, 2022

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I intentionally put two kinds of nerites in my tank. I have a lone ramshorn that came in on a plant (my sister named him and asks for photos) and an infinite lineage of bladder snails that came the same way (I don't mind, they aren't hurting anything). I haven't put anything new in the tank in months and yesterday I spotted a full grown malaysian trumpet snail. I guess maybe they've just been tiny and hiding under the substrate since they hatched? I wonder if this is why I keep finding little pieces of dwarf hairgrass floating around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

My adventures as a new snail owner continue. I am worrying less about my new rabbit snail falling off everything (he laboriously climbed up to the top of my tallest rock and then immediately fell off), but while watching him chow down on some kale I discovered a new worry.

Is this some kind of parasite/leech/something to be worried about? I wouldn't have noticed except I was zooming in with my camera to video him snorfling the kale.

I'm very attached to him already and hope there's nothing wrong with him :ohdear: