Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

You know I grew up on macs too but I actually played good games like Myth 2, Nox, and Escape Velocity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Duck and Cover posted:

You know I grew up on macs too but I actually played good games like Myth 2, Nox, and Escape Velocity.

same except the good mac games i played were bahamut lagoon and xenogears

the bad games included civ 3 and avernum. technically baldur's gate 2 wasn't a bad game but it was horribly optimized so it ran like poo poo even on a g4

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

The Moon Monster posted:

It's... not good. But hey, how many fighters can you play with a mouse?

At least one too many.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Duck and Cover posted:

Same here also don't forget the Marathon games

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Item Getter posted:

No gently caress that. The world would be a better place if we had Myth 7 instead of Destiny. MDK also not that great. Unreal Tournament was/is good.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 26, 2022

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Duck and Cover posted:

No gently caress that. The world would be a better place if we had Myth 7 instead of Destiny. MDK also not that great. UT98 was good.

For sure Myth is the #1 game I would want to see redone in a modern graphics engine though it was already way ahead of its time in terms of physics etc. I think it's a shame it never caught on to being a genre defining game because I don't really like the resource gathering and base building that all other RTS have.
It might be fair to blame Microsoft for turning Bungie into a Halo sequel factory, before then they were still switching genres every couple games in the era of Marathon, Myth and Oni. And even during the development of Halo 1 and 2 they were still working on project "Phoenix" that was to likely be the next generation Myth.
Marathon and Myth were totally the start of the games with intentionally cryptic ~Lore~ that internet nerds would overanalyze to death and the ancestor of today's YouTubers making 3 hour video essays about Dark Souls

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

i legit wanted to play some of the games they showed in Reboot, some of those games looked cool as hell. I'd rather play the Reboot Road Warrior knockoff game then that lovely open world Max Mad game that we got

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

i legit wanted to play some of the games they showed in Reboot, some of those games looked cool as hell. I'd rather play the Reboot Road Warrior knockoff game then that lovely open world Max Mad game that we got

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ridjpmi9lfA

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

QuarkJets posted:

I always wanted a real version of that racing game they played where the first lap was F1 cars, the second was hovercraft in a slalom that dropped mines, and the final was planes. Like all three modes of Diddy Kong Racing at the same time.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Duck and Cover posted:

good games like Escape Velocity.

:hmmyes:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Binding of Issac is one of the most incredible games ever made. Feel bad for folk who just don't get it

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Everything about Mace: The Dark Age felt like the kind of game that would show up in ReBoot.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 26, 2022

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Goats?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

galagazombie posted:

I always wanted a real version of that racing game they played where the first lap was F1 cars, the second was hovercraft in a slalom that dropped mines, and the final was planes. Like all three modes of Diddy Kong Racing at the same time.

Sega All Stars Racing Transformed?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I got you Marble.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Binding of Issac is one of the most incredible games ever made. Feel bad for folk who just don't get it

I agree with this and also hate that I agree with this. Some developer needs to make the Binding of Isaac killer.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Item Getter posted:

We had Marathon, Realmz, and Escape Velocity but those fell by the wayside for awhile once we got Grizzly :v:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I liked the original version and Rebirth, but there are too many items to keep track of now. A lot of them can ruin your build.

Yeah, there's a mod that tells you what they do so you don't need a wiki open, but I only want to play this on a handheld (and I don't have a Steam Deck)

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I think games where "power ups" can ruin your attempt at beating the game not fun at all, and anything that requires an encyclopedia of item pickups is ridiculous.

And liking them still makes more sense than liking mobas!!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i think the movement is too slippery and the bullets are too slow

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm not sure "this game has too many items" is a valid complaint

Most of the folk I see disliking issac it's more the look and design graphically than any gameplay problems

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Caesar Saladin posted:

i think the movement is too slippery and the bullets are too slow

The movement could be crisper, but I think the bullets are as lovely as they are to allow more room for powering them up.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm not sure "this game has too many items" is a valid complaint

Most of the folk I see disliking issac it's more the look and design graphically than any gameplay problems

I will clarify by saying the fact that there are hundreds of unlabeled items and there's no good way to know what does what before picking it up feels like an unecessary barrier to playing the game, not something that enhances the game.

The number of items is good and cool

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

That's not a problem you just look up the item on this handy little webpage: https://platinumgod.co.uk/repentance

It's like a nice little game of Where's Wally every time you go to pick up an item!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

satanic splash-back posted:

I will clarify by saying the fact that there are hundreds of unlabeled items and there's no good way to know what does what before picking it up feels like an unecessary barrier to playing the game, not something that enhances the game.

Oh yeah I agree and while I almost never mod games it does feel a bit crappy that the item description mod is not built in

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

The Moon Monster posted:

Realmz, and Escape Velocity

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Phigs posted:

I agree with this and also hate that I agree with this. Some developer needs to make the Binding of Isaac killer.

They did, it's called Enter the Gungeon

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
I love the binding of Isaac...It's a tough game I have many achievements in, but getting through a lost run with zero hits or one hit per room just stresses me the gently caress out I can't even think about doing that.

There are always instances of damage that are probably avoidable in theory...but my brain will do stupid things when it's even slightly bored. As well as my weed hosed reaction times...I guess that's my fault.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I dont like Binding of Isaac because theres poo poo everywhere and you play an abused baby living in a basement full of poo poo and that just doesnt really appeal to me.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Redezga posted:

Everything about Mace: The Dark Age felt like the kind of game that would show up in ReBoot.

hell yeah, Enzo reboots as Warmech the dwarf in the wooden mech suit :black101: Mike the TV reboots as Lord Deimos but can't lift the armor. Bob is of course Ragnar Bloodaxe.

At the end of the episode they find out the user wasn't The Executioner, but it was Dot Matrix all along under the hood!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Oh yeah I agree and while I almost never mod games it does feel a bit crappy that the item description mod is not built in

Aren't you supposed to be in hell? I don't think hell has item descriptions

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Games should just be better and not require mods/outside tools. See Rimworld, Path of Exile and Binding of Isaac as examples of what not to do.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rimworld doesn't need mods :shrug:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Rimworld doesn't need mods :shrug:

Lol.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The number of items in Isaac isn't really a problem if you've been playing it since the flash version launched back in the day, since they've been added pretty gradually. Not that that helps you if that's not the case.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The Moon Monster posted:

The number of items in Isaac isn't really a problem if you've been playing it since the flash version launched back in the day, since they've been added pretty gradually. Not that that helps you if that's not the case.

Phigs posted:

That's not a problem you just look up the item on this handy little webpage: https://platinumgod.co.uk/repentance

It's like a nice little game of Where's Wally every time you go to pick up an item!

I probably 100%'ed the older BoI (not Rebirth), and I'd be completely lost if I tried playing Rebirth now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
does... does the game not tell you what the items do when you are carrying them???

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

You get a quick blurb when you pick them up, but you can't put them back down, generally. It is a roguelite, one that was made before the genre largely abandoned the item identification mechanic. I do feel like people oversell the problem, since 95%+ of item effects are a) obvious and b) positive.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Moon Monster posted:

You get a quick blurb when you pick them up, but you can't put them back down, generally. It is a roguelite, one that was made before the genre largely abandoned the item identification mechanic. I do feel like people oversell the problem, since 95%+ of item effects are a) obvious and b) positive.

it sounds like my decision to never really get into BoI has paid dividends, because this just seems real dumb to me

i love games where i have to ID stuff, but in this case it just looks annoying rather than a mechanic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=836319872

The theming of Binding Isaac is incredibly dumb though. Like why? Who the gently caress wants that?