Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

ProperCoochie posted:

I can't

I can't

https://twitter.com/paleofuture/status/1529708434995683329?t=rOPV7bYbNFFr9AFW40I3xA&s=19

The kids have been practicing (even though the school goes up to 4th grade) to remain silent for years and the cop told them to do the exact opposite

This thread has had some horrible poo poo, but I think this is the one that broke me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

GolfHole posted:

america loving sucks, i poo poo on america, i piss on america
:same:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

there comes a point where you think you can't get any more angrier and then, well, lmao

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Good soup! posted:

there comes a point where you think you can't get any more angrier and then, well, lmao

Haha yeah man I'm honestly shocked that I still managed to get insanely angry over the past 48 hours.

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat

acejackson42 posted:

Oh, you're thinking legal consequences.

Imagine being Officer SoFuckingBrave and having to walk the streets with everyone knowing that you just stood there - and in some cases held people back from helping - as 23 people were killed in an elementary school. Cops claim to be all about the community, but the community is going to HAAATE these motherfuckers with the power of a thousand suns.

They can move, but god help them if someone figures out who they are.

This poo poo is haunting those pieces of trash the rest of their lives.

I want their names published so that everyone who does a google search on them knows who they are and what they did.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Good soup! posted:

Lawman 0 posted:

Haha yeah man I'm honestly shocked that I still managed to get insanely angry over the past 48 hours.

yup. pretty cool

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Also an intense feeling of utter humiliation.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

acejackson42 posted:

Yeah, I'm going to go way out on a limb here and say the police in that town are in for a bad, bad loving time.

Ain't talking your way out of this one, and no GQP politician is going to save you with their deflection and disinformation.

Stopping parents from going in to save their kids when your literal job is to save those kids, while standing around as 23 of them are killed through your pathetic, cowardly inaction?

Let's just say that's not going to play well on the nightly news.

The Supreme Court literally ruled during the Bush admin that the police do not have to protect you or your family: https://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/justices-rule-police-do-not-have-a-constitutional-duty-to-protect.html

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

MassTran posted:

Unironically I think Chief Wiggum would have at least tried to shoot at the guy. He would have missed and hosed it all up somehow, but there would have been an attempt

Thank you for correcting this insult to Simpsons canon. You are a light in these dark times

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

GolfHole posted:

america loving sucks, i poo poo on america, i piss on america

:yeah:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

All human beings are inherently sinful dumbass. Get this pelaginist poo poo out of here I thought this was a Christian forum

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Its going to get worse. Every update we get has been worse.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If the guy was "barricaded" in the room, how come the police had to wait for an employee to bring keys and let them in? Why would keys let them into a "barricaded" room?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

Having played a lot of x-com: terror from the deep lately, I've gotta say - the cops actions make sense here.

When you first start a terror mission the aliens (who are illegal btw) are scattered around the map with full TU. If you send your soldiers out of your sub on turn 1 they eat a hail of reaction fire. It's best to skip your first turn so the enemy wastes all of their TU moving around and shooting civilians. Then on turn 2 you can leave your sub and not take enemy overwatch fire. It usually leads to a some civilians dying but the score penalty from that is easier to deal with than having to replace half your rookies every mission.

Probably the biggest problem is none of our PDs have researched Ion Armor yet and even once they do they don't have the manufacturing capabilities to outfit all of their soldiers, so we need to work on increasing council funding and maybe build a second base for the police to perform R&D in
So Joe Brandon needs to invest a few billion dollars to develop Sonic Oscilator (stealing the weapon from the cuban spies currently using them on the US ambassadors). Thermic lances too. Then just give them to untrained teachers. :xcom:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Guze posted:

Its going to get worse. Every update we get has been worse.

Joe Biden to personally give each of these hero's a Congress medal of honor

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

If the guy was "barricaded" in the room, how come the police had to wait for an employee to bring keys and let them in? Why would keys let them into a "barricaded" room?

that means he locked the door. the police could not smell weed on the other side so it was impossible to break the door

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

A guy I went to school with just posted that he's "Not surprised this happened in a culture that doesn't value life, one that aborts millions of babies and forces you to get an experimental vaccine."

Don't worry, though, he made sure to post a picture of his handgun a few weeks ago, just to show how cool he is.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

All human beings are inherently sinful dumbass. Get this pelaginist poo poo out of here I thought this was a Christian forum

Cain 2022 would be killing 14 children with a rock.

They needed the kids in the barricaded room to act as distractions for the shooter while the cops got their kids, and only their kids, out of the school.

"Sorry ma'am, but I need your child to act as a meat shield so I can get little Huntyr out of the school safely."

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

If the guy was "barricaded" in the room, how come the police had to wait for an employee to b ring keys and let them in? Why would keys let them into a "barricaded" room?

The shooter locked himself in a room and proceeded to take the next 40 or so minutes to massacre a 4th grade class. The cops deemed him only killing the one class acceptable

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

do not respect police under any circumstances

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Valko posted:

:same:

It wasn't the revelation of cops being useless that has sickened me, I expected that. Right now #disgusting is trending on twitter. Some of it's the usual heard/depp bullshit but I scrolled down a bit and everyone to the right of Karl Marx is calling Beto O'Rourke disgusting because he's actually trying to do something. And they just call it an opportunistic political stunt.

For whatever it's worth:
I don't support Beto's proposed schemes for gun control (I can't in good conscience sell my rifle "back" to a state much more likely to use it for violence than me!), but I absolutely have to hand it to him for breaching Decorum Theater.

It's twenty years past time to treat the GOP like you're in a knife knife fight instead of the glad handing collegial back slapping poo poo.

Yeah it's a "performance," but so much of politics is.

Man every time I think the nadir of the cops' actions here is as low is it can be, something new comes out. As a Good Leftoid, I have a low opinion of cops but I naively thought they would jump at the one chance to use decisive, lethal violence in an unambiguously heroic way where even cop haters would however reluctantly have to hand it to them.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Rutibex posted:

that means he locked the door. the police could not smell weed on the other side so it was impossible to break the door

Someone should have had a judge serve a warrant for the house next door

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Guze posted:

The shooter locked himself in a room and proceeded to take the next 40 or so minutes to massacre a 4th grade class. The cops deemed him only killing the one class acceptable

don't worry I'm sure he killed all those kids instantly and none of them we injured bleeding out for 40 min.

like his grandmother

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Should have told the cops the shooter was a dog

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

funeral home DJ posted:

Cain 2022 would be killing 14 children with a rock.

They needed the kids in the barricaded room to act as distractions for the shooter while the cops got their kids, and only their kids, out of the school.

"Sorry ma'am, but I need your child to act as a meat shield so I can get little Huntyr out of the school safely."
The cops have been culturally setting themselves up as some kind of hosed up samurai class with the right to use deadly force and be beyond criticism while not having any obligations in the other direction. This has been going on for a while but the removal of the expectation of heroic defense, at least in theory, is fairly new - even though I know it is unfashionable, I think making it more explicit that the social contract is not

"Pay us a bunch of money and we'll protect the property of the bourgeoise and enforce something like social order, and may deter or even solve some crimes if we feel like it"
but rather
"Pay us a bunch of money and we'll do whatever we want"

It would somewhat erode popular support for the institution of police as they currently stand. This may not matter in many areas, of course, but one step at a time.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
https://twitter.com/mikeypro82/status/1529547951403581440?s=20&t=83nCqs3hQ1RMs_pWRIlhBQ

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

It's loving insane. If you somehow don't have anyone with any breaching tools on scene ask a loving firefighter for a pry bar.

I really really really want to sit and listen to all the radio chatter cause the fact that this went on for almost an hour and they didn't have a command presence set up by then is just batshit.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

B-Rock452 posted:

It's loving insane. If you somehow don't have anyone with any breaching tools on scene ask a loving firefighter for a pry bar.

I really really really want to sit and listen to all the radio chatter cause the fact that this went on for almost an hour and they didn't have a command presence set up by then is just batshit.

they have guns they can shoot the lock

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
How god drat toxic are american schools? Why do so many kids want to murder

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Zzulu posted:

American schools are a reflection of American culture overall, and we're toxic as gently caress, OP. It's why loads of people choose to kill themselves and each other with guns, even painful death is a better state than living in this crap-hole of a country.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
whenever you have to ask a question about America the answer is usually "Because everyone is loving dumb."

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Zzulu posted:

Look at Ben Shapiro, one of the most popular "young" Conservatives.

He wrote at least one novel where his self-insert character just brazenly murders people for being "terrorists", doesn't tell his wife he loves her because that would be icky, and uses violence to solve every single roadblock he encounters in his life.

The books aren't written to be deep psychological dives into the American Mindset, but there it is. Don't you dare discuss your feelings, just use violence to fix things.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Hell yeah, a GOP nominee for Senate in Georgia just suggested setting up an official Horny Police.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1529817124256026624

The work of the DTCLAYMTLAWTLASM is never done...

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
ACAC

All Cops Are Cowards

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

It's because he locked the door and cops we're afraid to open it themselves ir even timely.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

William Bear posted:

Hell yeah, a GOP nominee for Senate in Georgia just suggested setting up an official Horny Police.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1529817124256026624

The work of the DTCLAYMTLAWTLASM is never done...

This guy has literal brain damage.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Lawman 0 posted:

This guy has literal brain damage.

we know he's a republican

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I know there will be no consequences but I do wonder if in the legal hell hole of the us there's a real shot at getting these worthless cops sued into the ground and otherwise disciplined. No Duty to Protect etc etc etc but I don't think that applies when they've already engaged the suspect, know he's armed and dangerous and then just run away when he enters a school and we KNOW they heard the gunshots inside and loving did nothing.

Maybe if I'm being really really really generous and optimistic they'll walk back that no duty to protect ruling if there is legal action and it doesnt just immediately resolve? Right??? RIGHT????

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Mr. Crow posted:

I know there will be no consequences but I do wonder if in the legal hell hole of the us there's a real shot at getting these worthless cops sued into the ground and otherwise disciplined. No Duty to Protect etc etc etc but I don't think that applies when they've already engaged the suspect, know he's armed and dangerous and then just run away when he enters a school and we KNOW they heard the gunshots inside and loving did nothing.

Maybe if I'm being really really really generous and optimistic they'll walk back that no duty to protect ruling if there is legal action and it doesnt just immediately resolve? Right??? RIGHT????

lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Nessus posted:

The cops have been culturally setting themselves up as some kind of hosed up samurai class

The best part of this analogy is that Samurai behaved exactly like modern cops. Prior to 1868 samurai had no "code of honor" as we know it (they did have one but it was all about being good at killing and killing often) and they were just soldiers who swore fealty to a local leader. There was a thing that was common with Samurai called tsujigiri which was whenever they thought up a new way to kill people or they received a new weapon, they would hang out on the roadside, sneaking up on random peasants and merchants, and testing their new killing techniques on them.

The "bushido code" as we know it wasn't invented until after the fall of the samurai in 1868 when the Edo period ended and the country didn't have need for a bunch of armored warriors anymore. They had a bunch of bloodthirsty roving samurai murdering everyone and they had to make up a fake decorum title to make them feel important enough to stop murdering everyone.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 26, 2022