Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU
https://twitter.com/lisa_iannattone/status/1529851044762615808?s=21&t=_ehagfLRyp0v5F_oVWcaow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

:unsmigghh:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

we're turbo hosed

Sep 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1529853045886140416

9 US cases now and acknowledged community spread. late to the party of course

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1529866819321970688

the blaming of gay men for it also hits another wrinkle (as anyone could have predicted)

oh no who could have seen this coming etc

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
The fomite aspect of Monkeypox is scaring the poo poo out of me.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Tzen posted:

we're turbo hosed

what the gently caress, what the gently caress, what the fuuuuuuuck lmao

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Why Am I So Tired posted:

The fomite aspect of Monkeypox is scaring the poo poo out of me.

Yeah, it's not great.

Sep 2, 2011

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

what the gently caress, what the gently caress, what the fuuuuuuuck lmao

isn't it fun living in a world that has absolutely annihilated the entire concept of public health over the last 2 years because people got a big sad they couldn't stuff their faces in a restaurant and harass minimum wage workers for 2 weeks once

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Has anyone purchased anything / changed any behaviors in preparation for Monkeypox?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

loading... posted:

isn't it fun living in a world that has absolutely annihilated the entire concept of public health over the last 2 years because people got a big sad they couldn't stuff their faces in a restaurant and harass minimum wage workers for 2 weeks once

it was extremely funny for those first weeks in March 2020 when people were "quarantining" as everybody went literally insane after a couple days of being alone, realizing they have nothing of value in their lives beyond nonstop consumption.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Has anyone purchased anything / changed any behaviors in preparation for Monkeypox?

I bought some boxes of Nitriles, then I found out that I can't just use the Mr. Clean nitriles because they're not specifically for viruses :negative:

I've considered trying to find a NBC suit, but seems like they're long sold out.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Remember that cruise ship from like February 2020?

This reminds me a lot of that

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

No because I'm always spraying poo poo down at work and wiping down everything I touch. I think I've always done this because I'm always worried about bringing the flu or something home.

Dirk Funk
Mar 17, 2009

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

No. I'm not even sure what to do that I am not already doing. After a certain point you can no longer do any more preparation for what's coming and will have to wing it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Louisgod posted:

it was extremely funny for those first weeks in March 2020 when people were "quarantining" as everybody went literally insane after a couple days of being alone, realizing they have nothing of value in their lives beyond nonstop consumption.

Everyone realized that they hate their families too

Danru
May 23, 2022

This is.. uhh.. very loving bad. God dammit Canada (and the western world).

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Guys I decided to go to the Transphobia and Racism amusement park and now I feel sick :( :( :(

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Strep Vote posted:

No. I'm not even sure what to do that I am not already doing. After a certain point you can no longer do any more preparation for what's coming and will have to wing it.

This is pretty much where I'm at. I never stopped using gloves when I was out grocery shopping. Even if it didn't do poo poo for COVID, it was always nice for those incidents where you touch something sticky or powdery or whatever, and you just can't get rid of it the entire trip.

See also, if you need to hit the bathroom, you don't have to touch those nasty rear end sinks/air dryers, just tear off those gloves and put the back up pair from your satchel on.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
Is there any available reccomended cleaner for monkeypox? I have some Purell "food surface sanitizer" that works for covid but no idea if it'd be effective for both

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

loading... posted:

no it's really not! especially as a naive and idealistic people person! why am i still a people person when we're like this? like i genuinely have a hard time disliking anyone for more than five minutes. aaaaa

feels bad, fam. really sucks watching friends, family, patients, everyone just shrug and carry on while frequently getting sick. surreal hearing kids run and play outside and frequently pause to let out hoarse croupy coughs

kinda envy you in your resolve to be able to say "lol don't care and don't need em" tbh

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Iron Crowned posted:

I bought some boxes of Nitriles, then I found out that I can't just use the Mr. Clean nitriles because they're not specifically for viruses :negative:

I've considered trying to find a NBC suit, but seems like they're long sold out.

I'm thinking about buying these, just have to wait a few days since we can't get USPS packages delivered here and the family nice enough to accept packages for us is going camping. Hope they're real / good enough, seems like a great deal.
https://www.gloves.com/products/dark-blue-nitrile-gloves?variant=40534243442861

Greg Legg posted:

No because I'm always spraying poo poo down at work and wiping down everything I touch. I think I've always done this because I'm always worried about bringing the flu or something home.

Yeah we've never stopped wiping down groceries or the constant hand washing, but now I'm getting freaked out about produce again. Or our dog bringing it in on her paws.

Does soap really not work on Monkeypox? What should we be buying? Anyone have a link?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I haven’t done anything about Monkeypox because if it actually does go full pandemic then I am going to give up and embrace Nurgle because what else can you do.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Should we be buying Tyvek suits? Something else? Any recommended ones?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i can assure you im not loving any monkeys, thats for sure!!

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

i wish....

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

no it's really not! especially as a naive and idealistic people person! why am i still a people person when we're like this? like i genuinely have a hard time disliking anyone for more than five minutes. aaaaa

feels bad, fam. really sucks watching friends, family, patients, everyone just shrug and carry on while frequently getting sick. surreal hearing kids run and play outside and frequently pause to let out hoarse croupy coughs

kinda envy you in your resolve to be able to say "lol don't care and don't need em" tbh

Turns out there are completely selfish reasons to make sure the other 99% of the population feels like they have a future worth living for

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

lol Canada is now at 25 confirmed, 57 total monkeypox cases

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

It’s ok the child pinky swore he had not recently had gay butt sex with any of the other students.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Does soap really not work on Monkeypox? What should we be buying? Anyone have a link?

So I think people are talking a little about different things.

In order for you to suffer fomite transmission, an intact infectious cell has to get inside of you, cuz that's just baseline infection.

Washing something can prevent that from happening two ways: destroying the cell, or removing it. While something like a strong alcohol will kill just about everything, soap isn't really there for the purpose of killing things, it's there to remove them mechanically.

tl;dr soap should still be fine as long as you're rinsing thoroughly

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

I'm avoiding touching surfaces again.

I have no idea how I'll evade this besides wearing gloves. I already feel like I look crazy for being the only person in an n95 at my office.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tulip posted:

So I think people are talking a little about different things.

In order for you to suffer fomite transmission, an intact infectious cell has to get inside of you, cuz that's just baseline infection.

Washing something can prevent that from happening two ways: destroying the cell, or removing it. While something like a strong alcohol will kill just about everything, soap isn't really there for the purpose of killing things, it's there to remove them mechanically.

tl;dr soap should still be fine as long as you're rinsing thoroughly

Strong alcohol, like tequila? Or does it have to be 151, or Everclear?

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

update from my coworker, who caught covid about 7d ago and started paxlovid about 3.5d ago:

quote:

Tried to come back to work today; only been in 45 minutes and I'm cold, clammy, sweaty, and exhausted. All I've done is sort-of catch up on slack and email but I feel like I've been exerting myself. Gonna go lay down. I'll try again tomorrow morning.

mild!!

Danru
May 23, 2022

https://twitter.com/eckerleisabella/status/1529863700429123586?s=21&t=ngq23A6RH4g3iqU0qZ593Q

lol

https://twitter.com/eckerleisabella/status/1529863701980921856?s=21&t=ngq23A6RH4g3iqU0qZ593Q

Reveal yourself Isabella

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Gio posted:

wow that's sad, you gotta live your life!

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

i've started to avoid touching anything unless absolutely necessary while in public, and also hand washing more often
lol what does it matter though, i have a toddler in daycare and a first grader in public school, so shits hosed
then again we've avoided covid so far so who loving knows

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

praise the lord and pass the cheese lung!!

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Delta-Wye posted:

takes a real pro to get a poz like that

all you other poz cases are just imitating

Now with personal, practical expertise !

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!

U-DO Burger posted:

my father-in-law was on a voluntary business trip in australia and returned home saturday. he was maskless the entire flight. now my brother-in-law, who lives with them, tested positive for covid. father-in-law refuses to test and went to work today. he works for military intelligence in a windowless building lol

it really drives home why you should never listen to people who try to minimize covid; if things go wrong and they infect you, they will never ever acknowledge what they've done

People who do you injury for any reason will never ever acknowledge what they've done.

That requires that they actually acknowledge the behavior to themselves. That's something they would rather die than do.

This isn't something peculiar to Covid denialism. It's a commonplace in nearly all abusive relationships, period, end of sentence.

I found this out decades ago.

From family, of course.

When you find you're close to a person who's doing that to you, you have to be much more ruthless than you'd like. Because the next necessary step is nearly always closing them out of your life. As soon as possible, and as completely as possible.

You cannot "negotiate" actions your abuser won't even acknowledge committing.

Trying to take that road eventually brings you to some very ugly places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Gio posted:

well, wait, we've still got to live our lives