Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
that's the reason i never got into it in the first place. like, i don't listen to Slipknot, i don't watch Rob Zombie movies, and i don't want to play as a loving aborted fetus trying to crawl out of a goddamn basement

this is why Enter the Gungeon is the best twin stick game. the theming is delightful and constantly funny in little cute ways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Uh you're not an aborted baby, you're an abused five year old, jeez.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Duck and Cover posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=836319872

The theming of Binding Isaac is incredibly dumb though. Like why? Who the gently caress wants that?

I mean, it's a game, yeah it's dumb, games are dumb, its no more refined if you load up Civilization and go hmm i'm designing my perfect Aztec civilization or whatever.

I dunno, I was just never bothered by the poop or the baby crying to attack monsters although it seems to be a massive stumbling block for a lot of people.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

precision posted:

that's the reason i never got into it in the first place. like, i don't listen to Slipknot, i don't watch Rob Zombie movies, and i don't want to play as a loving aborted fetus trying to crawl out of a goddamn basement

this is why Enter the Gungeon is the best twin stick game. the theming is delightful and constantly funny in little cute ways

The Moon Monster posted:

Uh you're not an aborted baby, you're an abused five year old, jeez.

Yeah, the aborted baby is the baddy in Super Meat Boy.

Well, it and all the circular saws.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

precision posted:

Slipknot are a horrid crude band and Rob Zombie has one good song and a bunch of awful movies

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Hey hey, this isn't the unpopular music opinions thread

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
the best twin stick game is geometry wars on 2 tabs of acid

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Hellbilly Deluxe is a classic

and the best twin stick is obviously gauntlet

neither of these are unpopular opinions

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Was Geometry Wars 3 somehow bad? I'm guessing it had some new modes and I see it on sale all the time, but I've heard basically nothing about it despite the first two being well liked.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I mean, it's a game, yeah it's dumb, games are dumb, its no more refined if you load up Civilization and go hmm i'm designing my perfect Aztec civilization or whatever.

I dunno, I was just never bothered by the poop or the baby crying to attack monsters although it seems to be a massive stumbling block for a lot of people.

It doesn't really bother me it's just more of a "why?". Is it suppose to be funny? Some sort of commentary on abuse? Was it just "lol edgy" Newgrounds? Actually that's probably it.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
The only poop i have liked in a game is when your horse poops in RDR2

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Seems like an oversight that Chaos from Primal Rage had moves where he puked, farted and urinated on his opponents but never once flung feces despite that being the #1 thing apes are known for doing.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

site posted:

on the plus side it had the best wrestling games of that generation of consoles

:hai: No Mercy is brilliant

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i'm not talking about refined, i'm not like, fuckin turnin my nose up at the uncultured game, i'm saying it literally makes me feel uncomfortable and bad, like Slipknot music and Rob Zombie movies do, with all that "ohhhhhh everything is ugly and gross and somehow about abuse and molestation and people being violent and gross, isn't that COOL?" and i'm like.. no.. thats not cool at all... and i really dont like it

so you know tell me i'm a dumb fuckin baby but i'm not just being "ohhhh it's dumb" i'm like, it literally makes me feel bad, and i don't wanna be told thats a dumb reason to avoid somethn

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Original BoI >>>>>>> Rebirth

(purely because of the soundtrack)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

precision posted:

enter the gungeon SUCKS
everything is way too bullet spongey to be a proper fun twin-stick shooter
it needs at least 3x the number of enemies with 1/3 the max hp each

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Redezga posted:

Was Geometry Wars 3 somehow bad? I'm guessing it had some new modes and I see it on sale all the time, but I've heard basically nothing about it despite the first two being well liked.

I think the whole Geometry Wars concept was just kinda old news by the point it was released so not many people were enticed to buy it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

precision posted:

i'm not talking about refined, i'm not like, fuckin turnin my nose up at the uncultured game, i'm saying it literally makes me feel uncomfortable and bad, like Slipknot music and Rob Zombie movies do, with all that "ohhhhhh everything is ugly and gross and somehow about abuse and molestation and people being violent and gross, isn't that COOL?" and i'm like.. no.. thats not cool at all... and i really dont like it

so you know tell me i'm a dumb fuckin baby but i'm not just being "ohhhh it's dumb" i'm like, it literally makes me feel bad, and i don't wanna be told thats a dumb reason to avoid somethn

nah its a pretty fair aversion to have, i didn't play subnautica because the underwater stuff made me feel really uncomfortable, to me the issac design is so far removed from reality that it doesn't impact in the same way but i'm all for people simply not wanting to play a game because it makes them feel off

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Gungeon is not a good substitute for BoI. For starters BoI is not properly a twinstick shooter, being only able to fire in the 4 directions makes the gameplay feel really different. That plus the lask of a roll has a simplicity to it that I really enjoy. And I'm not entirely sure how to describe this but those two things and the room layouts and the way monsters move make it feel a bit more like a geometric puzzle than a twitchy shootymans game. Sorta more tactical/cerebral/about the ability to maneuver and anticipate rather than the ability to aim and dodge. It just feels very different to a twinstick shooter to me to play.

Then there's all the powerups and synergies. In Gungeon you're just getting different individual guns which is not at all the same feeling.

I really wish someone would come along and make a version where you're just a wizard, nothing is obscured, and to get rid of the more trolling bullshit in the game.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

QuarkJets posted:

Rimworld doesn't need mods :shrug:

i would've still put a ton of hours into my colony, its true. OP just has Staggeringly Ugly & Abrasive trait

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the other thing that turns me off of Binding of Isaac is that literally any time i dare to say that i prefer Enter the Gungeon, somehow a billion BoI fanboys materialize and tell me how wrong i am haha :v:

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I don't think it's wrong to prefer Gungeon, and for the record I do also like Gungeon, I just don't think it scratches the same itch as BoI. They're different enough games despite both being top-down action roguelites.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Just play The Void Rains Upon Her Heart instead, it's the same type of metaprogression and about as twitchy as BoI or Enter the Gungeon.

Might have a different playstyle, Boss Rush horizontal SHMUP vs slogging through trash before you get to the level boss twin-stick shooter, but I feel like it scratches the same itch and improves 1000x on everything BoI does wrong with enemy scaling and Items

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Binding of Isaac's and Super Meat Boy's whole look is best summed up as 'the style at the time'. 90s and early 00s grossout humour combined with the lack of restraints of Newgrounds meant you got a lot of blood and poo.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

precision posted:

the other thing that turns me off of Binding of Isaac is that literally any time i dare to say that i prefer Enter the Gungeon, somehow a billion BoI fanboys materialize and tell me how wrong i am haha :v:

All these BoI fans just materializing out of nowhere around this BoI conversation, pretty hosed up.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I played Enter the Gungeon and it was fun. Never really played Binding of Isaac. I like in Gungeon that it's quick and fast paced. And then you die and you don't feel mad because the game embraces that poo poo.

Big fan of games that are like "it's only a game, you'll die, it's fine".

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I haven't played Isaac in years, but I was really into it for a while. It's the rare game that I enjoyed in spite of its aesthetic. The gross-out humor thing was a deterrent for a while, but the game itself was so fun that I still had a great time with it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Enter the gungeon has a superb theme and design but I have to echo that the game just feels off somehow, maybe its the enemy health or the amount of enemies as has been suggested but something about it feels below par

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I never played Binding of Isaac because I want it on switch and they very much refuse to put it on sale or offer it for a reasonable price reflecting the fact it's a newgrounds flash game

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Rimworld owns and I have it modded to hell. I am pro-modding. Some mods are good, some are bad, some are just for different tastes.

Also a long time ago I was posting about how Frostpunk is a stupid name for a game and I won't buy it based on that alone. Well I got it and played it and it's actually good and fun and I like the setting a lot. Still a stupid title though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Binding of Isaac's and Super Meat Boy's whole look is best summed up as 'the style at the time'. 90s and early 00s grossout humour combined with the lack of restraints of Newgrounds meant you got a lot of blood and poo.

funny enough, i never had an issue with the Super Meat Boy aesthetic, maybe because the game moves so fast

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Super meat boy and issac are by the same dude? drat

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Enter the gungeon has a superb theme and design but I have to echo that the game just feels off somehow, maybe its the enemy health or the amount of enemies as has been suggested but something about it feels below par

i totally get people who say this, because the thing is, the game will feel that way at first. once you get some unlocks and get into the game, that problem goes away. if i had to guess, it's because they expanded the game so much (especially with the Advanced Gungeons and Dragons update, which was like a half sequel almost) and balanced the areas more around people who had some unlocks rather than fresh players

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Does anyone remember what game there's a line that's something like "gumble gumble gumble"? I think it's an RPG.

I tried searching for it but I don't WANT gumbel 2 gumbel

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The actual shooting in Issac feels like garbage. No idea how people get addicted to a game that feels so poo poo to play

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gaius Marius posted:

The actual shooting in Issac feels like garbage. No idea how people get addicted to a game that feels so poo poo to play

i think people always have a soft spot for the first one they play, because i've also had people tell me that Nuclear Throne is better than Enter the Gungeon, which, what

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I like the shooting in Isaac because it adds your character's velocity to the bullet's trajectory, allowing for angled skill shots and making your shots faster/longer range by moving forward while firing. I can see how it would feel bad if you're trying to play it on a controller with dual analog sticks while only being able to aim in cardinal directions, though.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Does anyone remember what game there's a line that's something like "gumble gumble gumble"? I think it's an RPG.

Zelda 2, when you were in the palace at the start with Zelda. She's unconscious but she's also gassy

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Devils Affricate posted:

I like the shooting in Isaac because it adds your character's velocity to the bullet's trajectory, allowing for angled skill shots and making your shots faster/longer range by moving forward while firing. I can see how it would feel bad if you're trying to play it on a controller with dual analog sticks while only being able to aim in cardinal directions, though.

Yeah, the shooting in Isaac is actually great but you really need to play it on a keyboard or something with two d-pads like the Switch. I think the Flash version specifically said not to play it with a controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SilvergunSuperman posted:

im sorry turn in your gamer badge and silvergun, your off the case superman