Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

MightyJoe36 posted:

Really? I always thought they were just using the same gag they used on Cheers for Norm's wife Vera.

To be fair, they realized there was no living human who could portray her as described by the end of season 1, so they moved on relatively quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

MightyJoe36 posted:

Really? I always thought they were just using the same gag they used on Cheers for Norm's wife Vera.

In a DVD bonus features, David Hyde Pierce talks about this. They weren't trying to do Vera again, she was just off screen, and then the deeper they went, the more they realized she could never be portrayed by anyone. So they just went further making her as absurd as possible.

Vera was never made particularly grotesque. She even shows up a few times, she's just either a voice off camera, or she's covered with pie.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Wasn't there one about Niles getting her (that brand) of wristwatch but she couldn't lift her arm?

Poke Chop
Apr 27, 2008
I liked the code on the alarm at the beach house.

'It's her ideal weight. This many pounds and that many ounces'

'My God! Nobody could weigh that and live!'

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Brawnfire posted:

A privilege elemental

It has been discussed that Maris is probably the final ultimate form of Karen.

I love how that description of her is basically some black bars and containment procedures out of a SCP Foundation article. Then again, the containment procedure is probably just leaving a paperback behind the door so she can't get it open.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Do not look up "skinniest woman in history". (All modern examples have 0% body fat from medical problems or unknown diseases where they can't absorb nutrients). Even birds run a density around 0.75g/cm3 (humans are about 1), but I'd like to imagine Maris has a rare hollow bone disease.

They never describe Maris as "skeletal". She probably wears a number of flowy wraps that make her look like a bird, where a light breeze would "clearly blow her away". As to her inability to lift a doughnut, she's merely above making any effort.

For Maris the wine glass is always half empty. That's all she can lift.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I choose to believe she is simply a vile otherworldly monster and you cant change my mind :colbert:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Frasier describes the whippet as heavier than Maris.

D34THROW posted:

I choose to believe she is simply a vile otherworldly monster and you cant change my mind :colbert:

A shitload makes sense if you assume she's a Grey.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

You get a vision of my Maris, and I get a big fat eyeful of Dad

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's probably a Slenderman joke to be made actually.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
"Niiiiiiiles...."
*sniffing daphne's pillow* 'OH, erghhh.... yes Frasier?'

"Niles, I assume you haven't heard of the brouhaha at the local park?"
'The one that doesn't have a member policy? No of course not'

"Well, the paper's described a Cadre of children absolutely terrified by a, and I quote, hideously slender monster, that was all legs and arms, shuffling around in a black suit, face as white as bone"

'Frasier why would I ev--'

*Frasier raises his eyebrow, his forehead pulses*

"Didn't you say that Maris had a recent infatuation with Men's Wear?"

'Why yes she's quite over the moon with this Gatsby-esque... OH DEAR!!"

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

"Oh I had to get Maris a gift, she's just felt so tiny this week."

"She's finally realized?"

"No Dad, apparently the chairwoman of the Seattle Board for the Arts has asked all her friends to sit for the art students at the University of Washington, as part of the Women in Society month, and Monday was Maris's day."

"That sounds like the type of thing Maris would be good at, sitting for an hour."

"Well Frasier, as it turns most of the students failed their assignments. Maris, the poor dear, was so thin and white that they weren't able to add shadows for depth so they just handed in penned outlines."

"Geez Niles, they should fire that professor for not understanding minimalism."

"The professor actually gave one student an A for 'best realism of the quarter'. Instead of a penned outline, they cut out the shape in a piece of tissue paper and put it in a gaudy frame."

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

"Oh I had to get Maris a gift, she's just felt so tiny this week."

"She's finally realized?"

"No Dad, apparently the chairwoman of the Seattle Board for the Arts has asked all her friends to sit for the art students at the University of Washington, as part of the Women in Society month, and Monday was Maris's day."

"That sounds like the type of thing Maris would be good at, sitting for an hour."

"Well Frasier, as it turns most of the students failed their assignments. Maris, the poor dear, was so thin and white that they weren't able to add shadows for depth so they just handed in penned outlines."

"Geez Niles, they should fire that professor for not understanding minimalism."

"The professor actually gave one student an A for 'best realism of the quarter'. Instead of a penned outline, they cut out the shape in a piece of tissue paper and put it in a gaudy frame."

this made me :lol: irl

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Frazier is one of those pieces of fiction with such well realized characters that they can be dropped into a situation and it almost writes itself.

Seinfeld too, but it's a very different style of comedy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

sudonim posted:

Frazier is one of those pieces of fiction with such well realized characters that they can be dropped into a situation and it almost writes itself.

Seinfeld too, but it's a very different style of comedy.

King of the Hill comes to mind too- it's a very particular kind of character-based comedy, which isn't specific to a genre or setting. Characters that are realised just well enough, while also covering the bases of a simple comic archetype, that you could drop them in almost any situation and setting and have a reasonable idea of how things go. It's one of the reasons you see so many memes based on these characters. Put them in anywhere, Imperial Rome, 1980s Miami, Cybertron, Equestria, and you got at least a couple good jokes.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

HIJK posted:

this made me :lol: irl
I was hoping someone would appreciate "she's basically two dimensional".

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Wow the Heros episode and a few after that, they make Frasier an absolute jerk. Like just completely out of touch. I think I'm putting Heros on my worst episodes list. :(

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Wow the Heros episode and a few after that, they make Frasier an absolute jerk. Like just completely out of touch. I think I'm putting Heros on my worst episodes list. :(

You mean the episode that has one of the top 10 Marty speeches of the series?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

As awful as he is I feel bad Frasier never gets to be on the opera board or wine club etc etc

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

codo27 posted:

As awful as he is I feel bad Frasier never gets to be on the opera board or wine club etc etc

It's the same reason why Wile E Coyote never catches the road runner.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Going through the show again, now that my partner has starting binge watching the series. I didn't realise how many of the callers to Frasier's show were celebrity guests.

Also how much better the show would have been if Martin wasn't a cop.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Why do you think there's an extended roll call at the end of a season with all the celeb voices???
Amateur Frasing, duder

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Martin could have sold propane.

I tell U uwhat daphne them boys aint right

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Zeniel posted:

Going through the show again, now that my partner has starting binge watching the series. I didn't realise how many of the callers to Frasier's show were celebrity guests.

Also how much better the show would have been if Martin wasn't a cop.

I still get surprised by celebrity guest callers and I've seen every episode many times

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

datajugend posted:

Martin could have sold propane.

I tell U uwhat daphne them boys aint right

Believe me, Dr. Crane, I prayed on it. And God said to me "Don't do it." But you know what?? I'm a bit psychic.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Look dad, I'm a goth!

Frederick, I-- BWAAAH!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Frasier, can't you see you're not making psychiatry better, you're just making radio worse?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
The only awful thing about The Frasier Crane Radio Network! is the occasional crazy, some wearing :tinfoil: and talking to their dogs, who subsequently started calling in to Joe Rogan.

So I really like James the barista in the later seasons; :swoon: the one Frasier describes as "unflappable". (Apparently the actors name is James Oliver.) I know Lower Decks has been done, but they should do a remake that's just eleven years of baristas listening to the Cranes spouting their... exciting high society updates/nonsense.

I mean there'd be quite a bit on Rick, hence Roz, so I guess people would be interested.

ps Waaait a minute teriyaki, do you think Frasier should be replaced with an all Mexican radio programme? :tamale:

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
This afternoon I said "Oh, geez" to myself and it made me wonder if someone had made a compilation of all the times Marty says it in the show. Sure enough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9D5XAJoERU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i'm more of a jeezaloo fan, myself

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

I AM GOING TO KILL
YOU RAY RAMANO

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I'll ask this crowd, but is Boss https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1833285 any good? Sorry I guess I'm ten years behind on advertisements or something (I don't watch tv).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

PizzaProwler posted:

This afternoon I said "Oh, geez" to myself and it made me wonder if someone had made a compilation of all the times Marty says it in the show. Sure enough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9D5XAJoERU
This is amazing

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'll ask this crowd, but is Boss https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1833285 any good? Sorry I guess I'm ten years behind on advertisements or something (I don't watch tv).

Boss is very good but sadly cut short. There were some rumors a TV movie might tie it up but it never happened. I mean it doesn't end on a real cliffhanger, but didn't get as much exposure as it deserved because it appeared on the then-unheard of Starz network. I need to rewatch again soon.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

moneyplane.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
"Frasier... have you seen these tickets dad picked up for Sherri?"

*leans in*
'Super Luxury Class on.... *gasp* ... THE Moneyplane?'

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

ohhh docteh crane issent that the ultrahposh supahjet where you can waygeh on anythin?

so you can wager on any scenario and theyll go to the ends of the earth to make it happen?

ove course! i hear they wull eeven use force when abso lutelee necessary!

and you wager on ANY scenario?

NILES!!!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm telling you: one gator, one chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The Saucer Hovers posted:

ohhh docteh crane issent that the ultrahposh supahjet where you can waygeh on anythin?

so you can wager on any scenario and theyll go to the ends of the earth to make it happen?

ove course! i hear they wull eeven use force when abso lutelee necessary!

and you wager on ANY scenario?

NILES!!!

I really wish I could do impersonations better because I can hear this in my head the same as any Simpsons bit I've seen 1000 times